It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:57

Page 33 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tat you've bought to clutter your home with (Reprise)
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2022, 15:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
I've not seen it on a VHS before (that I can recall), it looks great!

I have.

It was p0rn.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2022, 13:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2022, 20:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Some tat from the past week or so.

Got a mini 4K splurge, including Lego Movie 1 and 2 and also Lego Batman. Picked up Lego Batman 3D too and then noticed I already have a copy of it. Doh!

Someone on LDDB watched Mars Attacks recently I think, which reminded me I don't have the film on Blu because last time I saw the film was in the cinema in 1996!

Then there is the Waterloo limited edition set. You need this in your life. It's brilliant.

Finally I took advantage of Network having a sale on, buy one get one free, so I ended up getting Ransom, which I've heard is poo but I'll watch anything once after watching The Executioner Part II you cannot possibly watch a film that's worse.

There's also Robbery, which looks like a great true story heist film. Also a great looking underdog film called Small Town Story. It won't appeal to a USA audience though as it's all about FOOTball. Not that gridiron thing they call football. Even Diana Ross knows the difference between football and that other sport. :mrgreen:

Finally, the pomme de terre. The Royale with Cheese. The salle de bain of blind buys. Le potage sportif! ...and other superlatives...

I got a film starring Marlon Brando.

Great. Triffic. So what?

Yeah. Marlon Brando and Thora Hird.

THORA. FOOKIN'. HIRD.

THE STANNA STAIRMASTER SULTAN HERSELF.

Marlon Brando.........and Thora Hird. In an 18 rated film.

Recline in your favourite armchair. Close your eyes and repeat that back to yourself out loud.

It's an incredible notion isn't it?

I don't even care if the film is crap. Brando and Hird headlining an 18 rated film is my best blind buy of all time.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2022, 19:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Some tat.

Got a few 4K discs to go through. First up is Last Night In Soho. I like time travel, I like the bloke who directed this and his previous work. Heard good things about it, plus it's a DV and Atmos disc so one to hopefully stretch those legs.

Also got Bohemian Raphsody, which I've seen before but really want to see it in Atmos on a full-fat 4K disc. I saw it on Jeff's streaming service the first time round. Also got Cliffhanger because, well, it's Cliffhanger in 4K what's not to love? Rounding off the first portion of tat is Ghost Warrior aka Swordkill. I wrote a load of drivel about this film the other day, it is excellent.

Back to classic Western mode with Once Upon A Time In The West. Never seen it before and this disc has the retored version and theatrical version. You can choose from the menu which version you want to watch which is great to see.

Also in from the good people of Germany is a top 1970's disaster film, Juggernaut! One to watch on a Sunday afternoon but only if it's raining and if you've watched Skyriders first while doing the ironing.

Last up in the first round of tat is some Shinkai anime in the form of 5cm Per Second. I've seen it before and always wanted to own a copy. It's not very long but it's so sickeningly riddled with saccharin, I love it! Side note, the sleeve shown is the reversed sleeve. The normal sleeve looks poo.

In the next batch of tat is a set of Premium Collection blu's. These are exclusive to UK retailer, and survivor of multiple financial scares, HMV. I wanted to get The Last Picture Show for AGES and the HMV release is so good. All these editions in HMV come with postcards and a decent quality poster of each film. You simply cannot get these editions anywhere else, hence I had to give in to UK heartbreak tax (thanks Boris you KNOB) and order these from the UK. Same with Escape To Victory, which is amazing and a comfort favourite of mine.

Last up is Schindler's List in glorious 4K, which I've never made out to. :oops:

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2022, 21:06 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

teddanson wrote:
Back to classic Western mode with Once Upon A Time In The West. Never seen it before and this disc has the retored version and theatrical version. You can choose from the menu which version you want to watch which is great to see.

This is just very sad to read, but at least you have this amazing film now to enjoy.
Would love to read your review, its one of those films for me that I can't really remember how I felt the first time I saw it like
listening to dark side of the moon but knew as a child it was an amazing film.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022, 13:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

GOOD SMILE "POP-UP PARADE" character figure series Touhou Reimu Hakurei and Marisa Kirisame;

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022, 15:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
teddanson wrote:

This is just very sad to read, but at least you have this amazing film now to enjoy.
Would love to read your review, its one of those films for me that I can't really remember how I felt the first time I saw it like
listening to dark side of the moon but knew as a child it was an amazing film.

I'll make sure to watch it, maybe as a double feature with How The West Was One which I got recently with the Smilebox version packed in.

...but let's be quite honest and up front here. Juggernaut is getting watched first. :D

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022, 20:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Couple I forgot to add if anyone is interested.

Roger Rabbit in 4K HDR. A nice accompaniment to the 'uncut' Laserdisc I got recently.

Also, our good chums in Germany have absolutely knocked it out of the park with this incredible 3 disc mediabook set of everyone's favourite 'Gozer The Traveller Hypertheatredestrucorfiesta', the unstoppable Heston hyperfilm that shattered one unsuspecting LDDB member's bowels and wiped his home off the map.

This, is the 3 disc mediabook edition of... EARTHQUAKE.

Presented on 3 discs and including BOTH the 122 minute theatrical feature AND the 8627 hour long TV version! Not only that but you get a pile of bonus features plus a booklet (in German).

But wait, there's more!

Call now and we'll send you TWO... err sorry, yes there's more. The case is absolutely SUBLIME. It comes with the poster art on the front and is a lovely thick VHS cardboard style. Like the Speed Driver VHS I got from Germany recently. It's a gorgeous shade of thick cream mixed with the colour of the walls in a pub, that sort of 40 Capstan Full Strength a day colour.

But even better is the Earthquake design on the front is printed in a gritty, rough texture that feels like gravel or sand. Like rubble in a way. It's such a nice touch and feels really premium. This 3 disc set is the only one to have the Theatrical and TV cuts of the film. A standard 1 disc is available but only has the theatrical cut and hardly any extras.

Oh and you also get the full opening to the film, complete with the Sensurround warning that played before the film started in the theatre! Yes the Sensurround track is also included along with a Sensurround documentary. This is well worth getting from Jeff in Germany. One last thing the green 12 certificate is a sticker and on the outer shrinkwrap. Don't hesitate!

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2022, 14:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

'Tis the season for the venerable ole' F-14 it seems, thanks to TOP GUN and all, i suppose.

anyhow, figured it high time i attempted to tackle a 2013 reprint of the old 1977/1987 ver.1 First Tool HASEGAWA 1/72 F-14A.

i've tried the far more complicated 1988/CURRENT "NEW TOOL" ver.2, and wile i love it's complexity and high accuracy, i DON'T love it's lack of functional Swing-Wings...

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2022, 21:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

More tat. After watching Roy Kinnear's character in Juggernaut the other evening I had to buy a new TV to replace the one I pulled off the wall and threw out the window in to the street. :oops:

Added tat includes a few more blu's and 4's.

Wizard of Oz, Batman Returns and Superman 4K discs. Seen all of them before (sure last time I saw Batman Returns was in the cinema when it was released) but not in this quality. Also got the Dirty Harry Collection. There is an Ultimate box set, but it really is just a load of useless added tat (in my opinion) so I just went for the standard 5 disc set.

Last up is a total blind buy, Comfort and Joy. I watched this yesterday evening and it was a very pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed it and I think many LDDB member's might enjoy it too.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2022, 15:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

coming along about as well as my piss-poor skills with demanding old paint-and-glue plastic models will allow.

decided to be deviant, and go my own way with markings, rather than stick by any canonical book.
why not? my F-14 books show plenty of experimental/in-progress/one-off color-schemes/markings through the F-14's years in service;

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2022, 20:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

More tat.

A couple of 4K discs with Spartacus and the 308,926 hour long version of some sort of superhero film. Apparently this is the best version but is also oddly in 4:3?

Some Laserdiscs arrived after a long drought. First up are LDDB member's favourite Shakatak! I'm finally Shakatak complete, I think, with the remaining title to get, In To The Blue. This one has got their excellent song Night Birds on it. Sadly it doesn't have Invitations on in, though that track and fan favourite b**ch To The Boys is available on the live concert Twilight Sensations Laserdisc. I'm pretty sure this Laserdisc completes the set.

Next is two discs to add to my psychedelia collection. Video Drug 1 and Video Drug 4. I already have Video Drug 3 but had to wait a while for these two to show up for sale as they don't come up very often. Just need to get Video Drug 2, and hopefully a copy of Video Drug 1 with an obi strip to complete the set. It could be a long wait though but sure it took me about 3 or 4 years to finish my Mind Control set, for example, so I don't mind waiting!

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2022, 13:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2022, 17:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Some assorted tat from the this week.

First up is a selection of DVD, Blu and UHD titles. Maybe Baby is a film I haven't seen in about 803 years, but do remember it when it came out as I like Hugh Laurie and Joely Richardson. This one, rather bizarrely, is stuck in DVD limbo and I'm unsure why. You won't find it on any streaming serivce (to the best of my knowledge) and it's not on any HD format. This one also seems to fluctuate in price, from super cheap to outrageously expensive. I managed to find it for next to nothing second hand (less than £1/€1/$1/¥1) so snapped it up for a rewatch soon.

Next is the 4K Limited Edition version of Get Carter. I've never seen this film before but always meant to. Not really a big Michael Caine fan hence I haven't gone out of my way to watch it all these years. I bought it after watching the review of this disc by 'Ethusiastic Old Bloke With A Whopper Film Collection' on YouTube. I'll unsubscribe and throw the bell icon in to the river if he's telling porkiepies in his review!

Finally got the German edition of Julien's favourite film of all time, Waterloo. The cover is thankfully reversible to get rid of the horrible German age rating icon. The cover art is, I think, the original lobby poster from 1970? Not the big battlefield one that Julien rightfully has framed and hanging over his fireplace at home with the great big Union Jack on it. :mrgreen: The disc label looks a bit poo though, like one of those Spanish MoD Blu's from Jeff. At least the label art matches the lovely UK limited edition Blu, so I might swap the discs around now that I have the uncut German version to compliment it. If you haven't seen this film you are doing yourself a massive disservice, it's just absolutely mesmerising. Buy it and enjoy it. Julien did. :lol:

Got the 6,894 disc Blu edition of every 007 film except whatever the new one is. I had to return the first version Jeff sent me as someone had it away a bit lively with the disc covers and the J Card! It was clearly re-sealed too. The replacement, although definitely new and sealed, wasn't much better though. This box set surely has to win the award for laziest cobbling together of all time, surely? Looks like something you'd get off a market stall on your beach holiday! I did read somewhere about differences between this box set and the USA box set, mainly on audio I think? Can anyone shed a bit more light on that as I hope I got the right box set. The UK one I believe is a full set of 24 uncut films now?

Added another Western to my collection, which is odd as I don't like Westerns very much, but since watching those Burt Lancaster ones I bought recently I'm a convert. Though mainly for the Italian ones. I don't recall ever seeing Extremem Prejudice but certainly recall seeing it advertised when it was first released. One to watch blind and hopefully enjoy.

Lastly I picked up Trainspotting 2 on UHD. Having loved the first film way back when it was first released, the sequel kind of passed my by and I never watched it. It's cheap as chips at the minute so I snagged a copy for the craic to see if it's any use. I doubt it will top the original film though, that was a glorious affair and I recall the stir it released way back in 1996 when I saw it on release!

Also posted in another thread, but I'll chuck it here anyway. Finally got the Blu of Pulse for a decent price (glad I waited and got the OFAH Blu box set instead earlier this year). It's quite a premium feel to it, better than I was expecting. Still, the sheer neck of Flloyd to charge that original RRP.... Sheesh! Here it is alongside my PAL copy of the Laserdisc I got earlier this year.

Lastly is a bit of a productivity treat. I'm trying to convert my workflow from using a mouse to a tablet and pen. Hopefully this thing will go some way to help me become a convert. A bit overkill for note-taking/whiteboarding and productivity, granted, but the difference between this and the entry model is quite significant. Especially the pressure sensitivity, nibs, shortcut phsyical buttons and so on. Looking forward to testing this thing out. Does anyone else use a tablet/pen combination? :thumbup:

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2022, 15:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

coming, end of SEPT.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2022, 12:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

and... arrived, sooner than expected;

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2022, 08:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I always loved Madox-01 and really wanted the garage kit for it back in the day.

At 7000 yen, pretty reasonable. However, my modeling days appear to be in perpetual limbo so I don't see myself getting one.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2022, 15:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

not the most straight-build-friendly of kits. requires a fair bit of skilled paintwork to bring the details out properly, particularly on the backpack module there.

also, not really happy with the fairly ugly stock pilot head,
so i've been working on adapting the head of a spare "Wonder Momo" GACHAPON figure to fit. she does seem a virtually perfect match to the 1/15 or so of this kit's scale;

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2022, 16:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

ldfan wrote:
I always loved Madox-01 and really wanted the garage kit for it back in the day.

At 7000 yen, pretty reasonable. However, my modeling days appear to be in perpetual limbo so I don't see myself getting one.

Oh I feel you, I bought 2 Hulk kits over 10 years ago and they are still sitting half finished since then, don't know if I'll ever get around to finishing them.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2022, 08:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tasuke wrote:
not the most straight-build-friendly of kits. requires a fair bit of skilled paintwork to bring the details out properly, particularly on the backpack module there.

also, not really happy with the fairly ugly stock pilot head,
so i've been working on adapting the head of a spare "Wonder Momo" GACHAPON figure to fit. she does seem a virtually perfect match to the 1/15 or so of this kit's scale;

While you're at it, you should pose it with Kouji eating sushi :lol:.

Page 33 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next