It is currently 04 May 2024, 14:42

Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else hate DVDs and want to do something about it?
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2024, 04:52 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

spooky wrote:
substance wrote:
spooky wrote:
Thank you for your "substantive" (?) post. D-VHS would probably do this. But the tech exists in a time I don't like. The decks look goofy and the luxury is gone. I'd prefer to put visually important titles onto SVHS. Its video is better than VHS but still has that analogue smoothness. Recently did 4K Full Metal Jacket to SVHS. I much prefer the look on SVHS. I also record SACDs to metal cassettes- the harshness gets smoothed off and it's much more pleasing.

My primary monitor is a 32" wide CRT btw. Every dub I make on my Sony SLV-R5 Looks incredible to me - better than the harsh DVD.

I guess everyone can't appreciate an analogisation approach.

That’s nostalgia and possibly masochist too. You enjoy your eyes tortured with 240 lines of resolution when near 4000 lines of resolution version of the same material is in your hands. Recording high res DSD music onto 8 to 9 bit metal cassettes. You like pain.

That's ridiculous! cassettes don't have "bits" of course.

Cassette tapes have about 8 to 9 bits equivalent of dynamic range due to very high noise floor. Its frequency range isn’t very wide either but that’s not much of an issue once you are 40 years or older.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2024, 04:59 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

spooky wrote:
ldfan wrote:
for their time.

This is the most incorrectly used term of our generation.

They were built well FOR ANY TIME, escpecially THIS TIME. My TOTL "ES" Sony universal player is built like garbage in the 2020s. My 1990s Sony DVP was built WELL. NOT FOR ITS TIME. FOR ANY TIME!!!!

Again, this is nostalgia. You like to look at the device itself, not what it produces. Yes, newer electronics are smaller, lighter and look very different. That’s called progress. The 90s Sony DVP needed that many circuitry to do its job, that’s why it had that many circuitry. I can assure you, if they could engineer it to do the same functions with half the circuitry AT THAT TIME, they would have made it with half the circuitry. NOW, they can engineer a device with a fraction of the circuitry which produces magnitudes of better performance, therefore they are smaller, lighter and reflect their eras in their cosmetic design.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2024, 05:01 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

rcarlson wrote:
Google is your friend: it's a free download.

There's really nothing about it that would make it professionals-only. Every byte on the disc is there for the computer to read--it's just file-wrangling and DRM-circumvention, nothing like capture or re-encoding, which would affect quality. It supports Blu-ray too, and even UHD Blu-ray if you have a jailbroken UHD drive.

EDIT: Just in case there's any confusion about the term "lossless" in this context, I of course mean no loss of what's on the disk, which like virtually all digital video is already lossy. It's simply putting the disk's video and audio streams into more convenient containers. If one were so inclined, one could also save off the trailers and FBI warnings in separate files as a time capsule.

DVD is ultimately just a disc that holds files.

Google isn’t analog. He wouldn’t know it.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2024, 08:31 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rcarlson wrote:
Google is your friend: it's a free download.

There's really nothing about it that would make it professionals-only. Every byte on the disc is there for the computer to read--it's just file-wrangling and DRM-circumvention, nothing like capture or re-encoding, which would affect quality. It supports Blu-ray too, and even UHD Blu-ray if you have a jailbroken UHD drive.

EDIT: Just in case there's any confusion about the term "lossless" in this context, I of course mean no loss of what's on the disk, which like virtually all digital video is already lossy. It's simply putting the disk's video and audio streams into more convenient containers. If one were so inclined, one could also save off the trailers and FBI warnings in separate files as a time capsule.

DVD is ultimately just a disc that holds files.

:wtf: guess I just wasted thousands on decks, tapes and time. Wish I'd found out about this before. I'm sad now. Guess I'm dumb. :cry:

that's my problem. I spend forever making a decision, but when I do I'm all in with no compromise. s**t. I'm a f***ing idiot.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2024, 08:37 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

substance wrote:

That’s nostalgia and possibly masochist too. You enjoy your eyes tortured with 240 lines of resolution when near 4000 lines of resolution version of the same material is in your hands. Recording high res DSD music onto 8 to 9 bit metal cassettes. You like pain.

That's ridiculous! cassettes don't have "bits" of course.

Cassette tapes have about 8 to 9 bits equivalent of dynamic range due to very high noise floor. Its frequency range isn’t very wide either but that’s not much of an issue once you are 40 years or older.

I don't think you can measure a cassette like that or compare it. It's a different thing. A good well calibrated deck and a good metal tape can sound indescribably phenomenal and natural. There's a smoothed off quality about the peaks and highs that is so nice that comes from analogue. It's a bit like vinyl, it's mostly in the equipment.

I'm waaaay past 40 but have always had very sensitive and good hearing (not so much eyesight, I need a pretty strong prescription). I picked MD from CD 10 times out of 10 at a blind Sony demonstration at a university when I was 20. Most people only got 50-50, or chance.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2024, 08:48 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

substance wrote:
spooky wrote:
ldfan wrote:
for their time.

They were built well FOR ANY TIME, escpecially THIS TIME. My TOTL "ES" Sony universal player is built like garbage in the 2020s. My 1990s Sony DVP was built WELL. NOT FOR ITS TIME. FOR ANY TIME!!!!

Again, this is nostalgia. You like to look at the device itself, not what it produces. Yes, newer electronics are smaller, lighter and look very different. That’s called progress. The 90s Sony DVP needed that many circuitry to do its job, that’s why it had that many circuitry. I can assure you, if they could engineer it to do the same functions with half the circuitry AT THAT TIME, they would have made it with half the circuitry. NOW, they can engineer a device with a fraction of the circuitry which produces magnitudes of better performance, therefore they are smaller, lighter and reflect their eras in their cosmetic design.

No that is completely and objectively incorrect what you have stated there. I said nothing about size or cosmetics, even though players do look bad now, it's about utility.

My Sony UDP-X1000ES has only two very flimsy and cheap feeling buttons on the front panel (If I lose the cheap feeling and non-backlit remote I lose the ability to use the player. THERE IS NO PLAY BUTTON ON THE UNIT!!!) There is only one display, a time code, nothing else displays on it, like track numbers. It is the worst design I could have come up with. It's response time is attrocious. The tray takes comparitively forever to come out and close. The remote only works when you point it directly at the unit, and even then it fails sometimes. It is made of cheap materials. Cheap materials existed in the '80s and '90s too but the consumer demanded more and they weren't used on TOTL units (X1000ES being TOTL when it released.)

My Sony DVP-S7700 has NONE of these issues. Not only is it beautiful, it has all the controls on the unit, a proper display and a substantial remote with some heft and glow in the dark buttons.

I also like the component video picture from the 7700 much better than the X1000.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2024, 08:54 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Anyway. I'm done here I guess. You guys "win" I guess. Anyone wanna buy some VHS tapes?

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2024, 10:28 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

why? why? why? Why am I such a fool? Why why why why. DAMNIT!

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2024, 14:00 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Nobody likes a drama queen, and "winning" or "losing" a forum thread isn't the end of the world.

Also, if anyone wants to learn more about the "bits" comparison for tape (long story short, analog media isn't made of bits, but measurement using bits by analogy isn't worthless), I always recommend watching this video on how digital sound works: https://youtu.be/cIQ9IXSUzuM?si=2-SXw9oFnkD7w2XG

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2024, 14:09 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

spooky wrote:
why? why? why? Why am I such a fool? Why why why why. DAMNIT!

Why why why won’t you either say something intelligent or shut up? Why won’t the prison IT department block this site? Why do you keep coming back with new user names just to say the exact same things?

1: Everything You Know is Wrong/quality is evil
2: The world should be more like a GI Joe cartoon
3: I’m Australian
4: Poor me…

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2024, 00:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

spooky wrote:
substance wrote:
spooky wrote:

No that is completely and objectively incorrect what you have stated there. I said nothing about size or cosmetics, even though players do look bad now, it's about utility.

My Sony UDP-X1000ES has only two very flimsy and cheap feeling buttons on the front panel (If I lose the cheap feeling and non-backlit remote I lose the ability to use the player. THERE IS NO PLAY BUTTON ON THE UNIT!!!) There is only one display, a time code, nothing else displays on it, like track numbers. It is the worst design I could have come up with. It's response time is attrocious. The tray takes comparitively forever to come out and close. The remote only works when you point it directly at the unit, and even then it fails sometimes. It is made of cheap materials. Cheap materials existed in the '80s and '90s too but the consumer demanded more and they weren't used on TOTL units (X1000ES being TOTL when it released.)

My Sony DVP-S7700 has NONE of these issues. Not only is it beautiful, it has all the controls on the unit, a proper display and a substantial remote with some heft and glow in the dark buttons.

I also like the component video picture from the 7700 much better than the X1000.

Like I said, "for their time" ;)

I own a DVP-S7700 still (in the process of replacing the laser pic-up) and it's a beautiful and incredibly built machine. And because it was built this way w/ the copper chassis, heavy BMC base, separate power supplies, 32 bit risc processor for incredible special effects control; it cost a whopping $1300.

It was a different time and things cost more back then. Today, everyone thinks $200 is too much to spend on a product so what you get today accurately represents what they cost to make. So yeah, your ES 4K player will never be as great as your 7700 in build quality but you didn't spend $1300 for it either (you can still get a Magnetar if you want great build quality but that's about $2500 or more).

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2024, 02:33 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

drank a lot last night. guess I'm going to be drinking again today

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2024, 02:46 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Forums aren't a good substitute for therapy.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2024, 01:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

This has been the best thread on here in awhile. It really delivers.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2024, 08:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Smells, sounds,reads and looks like Forper.
What gear are you wearing today?
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2024, 18:44 
Honest fan
Honest fan

jakeheke wrote:
Smells, sounds,reads and looks like Forper.
What gear are you wearing today?

Wow. Reading your linked thread... Zeta und you seem to be right. This is pretty obvious. :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2024, 19:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I do think there was some genuinely good advice given in here. Like the stuff on DVD ripping. It's not too hard at all.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2024, 02:49 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks for the entertainment guys - Americans are SO easy to troll...LOL

My VHS project progresses well, using some broadcast grade 3M tapes on a high end deck at the moment for my transfers. Very happy with the results. It definitely removes a layer of digital harshness from the vision and this RF video, much like its Laserdisc cousin, looks stunningly natural to me on my high-end CRT.

Yes, I'm aware of MakeMKV, it's good software but the bulk of my DVDs are Hong Kong discs with up to 4 audio tracks. MakeMKV gets confused and just ends up having no audio when it rips to MKV. I can of course just rip an ISO but that defeats the purpose of eliminating menus. Anyway, as I've already said I'm not interested in a 1:1 digital transfer for the stuff I really care about it, I'm actually interested in making it more pleasing to my senses. Some less important stuff I have ripped to HDD with MakeMKV.

Anyway I'm very pleased with my soon to be all-RF main collection, it is a little nostalgic but its also superior to what I had before. Like I said, I put the tape in and press play, no messing around, loading a file on a computer is less satisfying too. That's the best way for me. Initially I was just interested if anyone here may have had the same train of thought as me (honestly don't care if no one does), but you guys were so s****y and condescending to me over my choices I decided to troll and just have some fun with you.

Oh and on modern Sony ES being cheap, yeah it's cheaper compared to incomes than it used to be but Sony can still make products in other lines that are similarly priced or even higher priced than the past like walkmans that are like $4000. Also the X1000ES was around $1000 and for that it shouldn't be as cheap as it is, and there is no excuse for no PLAY BUTTON.

I despise the phrase "good for its time", No. That phrase is used by people to mean that despite it being created in the past, it was surprisingly STILL good. In fact many things in the past were actually much better than today, we as a society and culture have obviously regressed in many areas just as much as we progress in others. The engineers apparently had brains in the '90s, the modern Sony engineers that designed its disc players of the 2010s onwards went for complete form over function. It was a bad choice that leaves an end user that remembers the human products of the past in dismay. So the phrase for anything should just be "good" or "bad". Eg: on the topic of special effects in movies. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - "good", Star Wars Episode III (2005) - "bad". 2001 wasn't "good for it's time", it was just good, for any time. Similar to the DVP-S7700 - It was good, period. Many things are like this.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2024, 05:43 
Serious fan
Serious fan

In other words, you made a bunch of clown-posts under false pretenses, then got clowned on for your clown-posts. I don't think you come out of this with even as much dignity as "I was only trolling, lol" usually gets you, which is very little.

Also, if a DVD having "up to four audio tracks" is what you blame your poor results with MakeMKV on, I'm sorry, but that's a skill issue.

Serious question: if you keep getting kicked out of here, why don't you just make your own forum with your own rules?

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2024, 05:53 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

spooky wrote:
Thanks for the entertainment guys - Americans are SO easy to troll...LOL

America

Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next