It is currently 18 May 2024, 23:42

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gala Avary doesn't know anything about anime
PostPosted: 14 May 2024, 09:18 
Honest fan
Honest fan

This b**** infuriates me. I'd send her an email but I can't find her email address. So I'm ranting here.

First, she constantly pronounces Ghibli with a hard "G", so annoying.

Then she says she prefers the dubs of anime because of nostalgia and because "so much love went into it." So, what Gala? Are you saying that no love went into the original Japanese voices that were erased? Are you saying that any love at all went into the many appauling English dubs?

Your logic makes no sense! - Just because I have nostalgia for Robotech doesn't mean I prefer it to the superior original audio of Macross of course.

In her latest podcast episode with an equally annoying guy called Conor Holt is here, it's on pirate movies (unfortunately movies about pirates, not pirated bootlegs from the '80s or anything cool like that): https://thegalashow.com

Anyway in this episode Conor Holt says "I like to watch dubbed VHS anime tapes like a guy in 1994 because that's THE ONLY WAY YOU COULD WATCH IT THEN."

Ah... NO!!! In 1994 I always preferred fansubs, I couldn't afford original Japanese LDs but knew guys that had them. Sub Station Alpha was a thing to overlay from a PC, even US Renditions and other companies were releasing official subbed tapes and LDs by then.

I mean these clueless morons are from LOS ANGELES in CALIFORNIA, basically the mecca for translated anime at that time. I was all the way in Australia but still accessed this stuff. I remember calling up places like Books Nippan and Pony Toy Go Round ON THE TELEPHONE. IN THE '90s. I had a US Renditions membership card n all.

But, sure, a guys ONLY CHOICE was a dubbed tape then. SURE. Sheesh, what clueless ****s. Supposedly "movie/anime experts" Yeaahhh right.

Post subject: Re: Gala Avary doesn't know anything about anime
PostPosted: 14 May 2024, 16:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’ve never heard of this person so I don’t care.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 May 2024, 16:43 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:

Same here. Had to google her.

Lucky us? :lol:

PostPosted: 14 May 2024, 18:58 
Site Admin
Site Admin

signofzeta wrote:

Also had no idea.

Plus "Gala Avary was born on 4 December 1995", might explain why she is not be very knowledgeable about 1994 anime scene ;-)

Julien

PostPosted: 14 May 2024, 22:09 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

admin wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Also had no idea.

Plus "Gala Avary was born on 4 December 1995", might explain why she is not be very knowledgeable about 1994 anime scene ;-)

Julien

I can’t believe you guys are all Googling this person just because he brought them up…what did you search for yesterday, “Do wind turbines kill whales?”.

Far be it from me to defend Forper but…you don’t have to have seen a thing with your own eyes to know what you’re talking about. Leonard Maltin never saw a Marx Bros film in its original release but he knows EVERYTHING about them which is why, when it comes to that subject, he’s worth listening to. If someone can’t be bothered to get their facts straight they should probably shut up. Anyone who thinks all US released anime was dubbed in the 90s doesn’t know very much about the subject. I don’t however think it’s worth going out of one’s way to make a forum post about it when the specific ignorant person in question is a total nobody with no influence…but its a valid point…or rather would be if it was someone who people listened to.

PostPosted: 15 May 2024, 00:58 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:

She's Roger Avary's daughter and co-hosted the excellent Video Archives podcast with her dad and Tarantino last year (recommended).

She constantly says how she's such a "hardcore anime and manga fan" but prefers dubs...and says "GIB-lee," as in "Debbie GIB-son". AARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!

PostPosted: 15 May 2024, 02:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

spooky wrote:
She constantly says how she's such a "hardcore anime and manga fan" but prefers dubs...and says "GIB-lee," as in "Debbie GIB-son". AARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!

Well, that's the original pronunciation of the Ghibli wind (Sirocco) in Arabic or Italian.
It's also how it's pronounced in French (ギブリ).

Miyazaki just decided to pronounce it "Jiburi" (ジブリ) and that's the katakanize'd official version.

But both are correct to me, depends on your background and on the context.

They are easily understood by everyone anyway, no misunderstanding here.

Julien

PostPosted: 15 May 2024, 04:11 
Honest fan
Honest fan

No, when you're specifically referencing the anime production house you need to use 「ジブリ」imo. That's what's on all the boxes and sleeves of products made by the studio, NOT 「ギブリ」. Any "hardcore anime fan" should know that.

PostPosted: 15 May 2024, 04:47 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I don't expect English-speakers to pronounce Japanese names correctly any more than I expect Japanese-speakers to pronounce English names correctly. And anyway, where do we draw the lines on which foreign pronunciations are correct? Even the English-speakers who pronounce Ghibli "correctly" aren't saying ジブリ, they're saying "jibly": English consonants, not Japanese ones. Are we going to get dogmatic about whether it's pronounced "AH-nee-may" or "ANN-ih-may," too?

So, a podcaster doesn't pronounce Ghibli in the consensus English manner and is under-informed about the extent of fansub availability in the 90s. I really don't see what there is to get worked up about there. Does she like the movies? Do they speak to her? If the answer's yes, then it's all good. These are wonderful movies, and it's more important that lots of people see them than that everyone who talks about them passes an anime-gatekeeping test.

PostPosted: 15 May 2024, 12:07 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rcarlson wrote:
I don't expect English-speakers to pronounce Japanese names correctly any more than I expect Japanese-speakers to pronounce English names correctly. And anyway, where do we draw the lines on which foreign pronunciations are correct? Even the English-speakers who pronounce Ghibli "correctly" aren't saying ジブリ, they're saying "jibly": English consonants, not Japanese ones. Are we going to get dogmatic about whether it's pronounced "AH-nee-may" or "ANN-ih-may," too?

So, a podcaster doesn't pronounce Ghibli in the consensus English manner and is under-informed about the extent of fansub availability in the 90s. I really don't see what there is to get worked up about there. Does she like the movies? Do they speak to her? If the answer's yes, then it's all good. These are wonderful movies, and it's more important that lots of people see them than that everyone who talks about them passes an anime-gatekeeping test.

Put it this way, would any Porsche fanatic respect someone who pulled up in their first porsche, got out and said "Hey man I'm a Porsche (pronouncing it "porsh") fanatic too now."?

Answer honestly.

By the way I and others I knew pronounced things with the Japanese phonetics every time. It was part of being a fan back then. It's not hard to learn kana either.

by the way I stopped watching new anime after EBANGEL/RION.

by the way, both of the ways you give to pronounce anime are wrong.

"ah-ni-meh" is correct. You shouldn't lengthen any sound in the word.

Sorry, you're true-fanned out 8-)

PostPosted: 15 May 2024, 12:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

spooky wrote:
By the way I and others I knew pronounced things with the Japanese phonetics every time. It was part of being a fan back then. It's not hard to learn kana either.

So a hardcore fan will look down on anyone who doesn't speak better Japanese than he/she does?

Madness.

If you're a true fan, you'll evangelize new materials and try to get more people interested in the series/studios/characters that you find interesting.

Not start a yard war on Gibli/Jibli.
That's kindergarten-level arguing.

Julein

PostPosted: 15 May 2024, 12:17 
Honest fan
Honest fan

admin wrote:
spooky wrote:

So a hardcore fan will look down on anyone who doesn't speak better Japanese than he/she does?

Madness.

If you're a true fan, you'll evangelize new materials and try to get more people interested in the series/studios/characters that you find interesting.

Not start a yard war on Gibli/Jibli.
That's kindergarten-level arguing.

Julein

Anyone who says "I like Studio Gibli - my favourite one is Howl's Moving Castle" is no friend of mine and I don't want to help them because they haven't made an effort to understand what they like. Imagine if you liked Tailor Swift a 15 years ago when she released her first album and now everyone's a "Swifty" after listening to like 2 songs - would you be happy about it or consider new fans equal to you to your appreciation? Of course you wouldn't. By the way, I'm not a swifty, I don't know even one of her songs but I keep hearing people talk about her as the biggest thing since Madonna.

PostPosted: 15 May 2024, 13:54 
Honest fan
Honest fan

spooky wrote:
Anyone who says "I like Studio Gibli - my favourite one is Howl's Moving Castle" is no friend of mine and I don't want to help them because they haven't made an effort to understand what they like.

You are deluded. End of story.

PostPosted: 15 May 2024, 15:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

spooky wrote:
No, when you're specifically referencing the anime production house you need to use 「ジブリ」imo. That's what's on all the boxes and sleeves of products made by the studio, NOT 「ギブリ」. Any "hardcore anime fan" should know that.

“Correct” pronunciations of loan words. In anime of all things. Ridiculous.

PostPosted: 15 May 2024, 16:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If you didn't know it was called Japanimation at one time I never need to hear your opinion.
You aren't OG and only top G's know it.

PostPosted: 15 May 2024, 17:08 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Who?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]