It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 07:53

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Unfinished Ninja film shot in 1984 coming to Blu Ray in 2021
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2021, 10:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I think that regardless of what you may think of the film, the story behind it and getting the thing finished and out on Blu Ray is pretty incredible and is worth of more than one doff of anyone's Easter bonnet.

So long story short, the folks at Vinegar Syndrome found a bunch of 35mm film in their archives that turned out to be a film shot in 1984 called New York Ninja. Great, scan it, restore it, chuck it on a Blu Ray. So what?

Not so fast.

The video was found intact but unedited, and to make matters worse the sound and the script are lost. :wtf:

In a rather gargantuan twist, Vinegar Syndrome have gone and finished the film complete with a brand new score by a band called Voyager. On top of that, a new script was written (a lipreader was not used, instead a script was written that tried to roughly match the mouth movents of the actors) along with a new English language dub track featuring a stellar cast of Don "The Dragon" Wilson, Michael Berryman, Linnea Quigley and Cynthia Rothrock!

Don't know about you but I think this kind of work deserves supporting to the moon and back. Genuinely wonderful to see this kind of thing being done I feel. Only thing I'd have liked to see is for director John Liu to have had some kind of oversight in the editing of the film. It's not clear if he was involved at any stage, perhaps it will become clearer in any bonus features of commentary track(s) on the disc.

Day 1 for me. How about you?

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/pages/vsp

Post subject: Re: Unfinished Ninja film shot in 1984 coming to Blu Ray in
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2021, 22:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

OMG this may be great or horrible.
I remember watching Miami Connection when someone got excited and had a screening at his house, it was really a bad film and not worth the risk.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2021, 02:32 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Not sure whether to dive in or wait for reviews, the trailer however has gotten me excited for it!

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2022, 00:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This looks AMAZING! Cant wait. Soundtrack sounds great too. Amazing work!

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2022, 17:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

johan184 wrote:

I've still to get hold of this film, it'll have to wait a while. The heartbreak tax though for importing it is a killer. I wish it was easier to get Vinegar Syndrome and Grindhouse Releasing stuff in the EU. Does my head in.

Only exception to the rule will be when Raro USA finally release the exquisite Napoli La Camorra Sifida La Citta Risponde. Even if it cost €680,903 in import tax, I'll float myself on the NYSE as an IPO and try and raise the money that way just to import it. That film is just too important not to buy. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2022, 23:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

teddanson wrote:
johan184 wrote:

I've still to get hold of this film, it'll have to wait a while. The heartbreak tax though for importing it is a killer. I wish it was easier to get Vinegar Syndrome and Grindhouse Releasing stuff in the EU. Does my head in.

Only exception to the rule will be when Raro USA finally release the exquisite Napoli La Camorra Sifida La Citta Risponde. Even if it cost €680,903 in import tax, I'll float myself on the NYSE as an IPO and try and raise the money that way just to import it. That film is just too important not to buy. :thumbup:

Yea, same here. Its on sale now, 35 usd. But that will prob be around 60-70 euro when it arrives here.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]