It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:22

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is it worth upgrading our TV? I believe so.
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2022, 01:29 
True fan
True fan

I keep looking for expensive video games and other crap online I don't need. Even my dumb a** keeps looking at laserdisc players as if I need a 3rd one when I own two and the LX-900 revision 1995 is considered one of the top 5 laserdisc players and probably would have been ranked number 1 if idiot Panasonic hadn't had a defect in it which cuts off 5-10 percent of the right side of the screen! Also I hope I get enough work from my Aunts so I can buy this TV for my Dad. My Dad has had it tough ever since his son died a year and a half ago. And I feel guilty about it because I know I could have prevented it but the police in my township strained the relationship with my brother and I when they illegally arrested me when I called them for help.

How much of an upgrade is a 77 inch or 83 inch OLED tv over our current TCL 65S425 which he paid $455.81 back on November 14th 2019? Will the colors look drastically better? I do know if I went the route of getting a TCL tv 75 inch 4k qled it would cost under a grand and I know qled comes close to OLED. However I think the blacks and overall colors are considered better on the OLED tvs. So maybe spending under 3 grand 77 inch model or a little over 3 grand for the 83 model would be considered a smarter long term move. My Dad doesn't have the money I do with the work I'm doing. He has bills to pay etc and food to by for us. So I feel like it's the least I can do for him since otherwise I've been a pretty s****y bum. I'd love to see comparisons but maybe I need to go in stores to see how much of an upgrade OLED really is over an older LCD tv. I believe this old TCL tv from 2019 is a LCD or is it LED? Either way I'd imagine this would be quite a big upgrade not just for the screen size but overall colors. I also believe it will make laserdiscs look better because I've seen people on reddit claim laserdisc look great on their oleds.

Post subject: Re: Is it worth upgrading our TV? I believe so.
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2023, 11:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I bought a 65" LG OLED in the Summer of 2022. Thankfully when I checked the serial number and the service menu I was able to confirm my LG C1 was built using the new LG C2 Evo panel. I was going to get the 77" version but after measuring up where the television would go it was marginally too big, so that forced my hand for the 65", which is still plenty big enough for where it's situated.

Laserdiscs look great on it (I wouldn't necessarily say 'better' because imho you can't really improve old analogue SDR all that much and given some of the fangled measures and expense you could go to, ask yourself is it genuinely worth it? For me, Laserdiscs are more about a) the quirky titles and stuff still not on DVD or better and b) the audio quality on some titles imho is better than some stuff on DVD or better today), though that's thanks in part I'd say to using the CLD-R7G and a DVDO VP50 Pro (to get HDMI output and to be able to fiddle with the image to fit nicely). 4K HDR 10/10+/Dolby Vision is where OLED really shines though (as well as Blu Ray and general HD content e.g. DVB-T2, DVB-S2, streaming etc). When the marketing videos tell you you haven't experienced true black until you see true black on an OLED panel, they're not kidding!

Regardless, I previously had a 55" Ambilight LED which I thought was very good, but since switching to OLED it's just a whole new world in terms of general picture quality. I've already made the decision that I won't go back now to anything other than another OLED panel, or if something comes along to equal or better OLED. It's just wonderful in every way and worth the extra money if that is within your budget and means.

I'm not in a position to have a projector or some fancy home cinema set up. So for me, a nice big OLED and my new Samsung HW-Q990B Atmos set up is pretty much perfection in my viewing space. Just make sure you get a decent OLED panel and don't cheap out as there are still shonky panels around. Make the investment, reap the reward. :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Is it worth upgrading our TV? I believe so.
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2023, 12:54 
True fan
True fan

I will never buy a TV again and always will stick to monitors because I hate the forced on smart TV features.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]