It is currently 16 Jul 2024, 15:48

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: STAR WARS 3D Epic Fail!
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 09:40 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I guess everyone that is a true loyal STAR WARS fan will not give into to Lucas once called little children’s film which as no doubt raped the vision of what STAR WARS once stood for.
Oh and this is filmmaker hypocrite that once said he’s for “preserving film”.

I say we just let STAR WARS 3D play to empty seats in cinemas well empty to the loyal fans that should say: nope I’m going to sleep the whole month and not care one bit about STAR WARS 3D. Which is what I’m going to do as I don’t see anything special it and I only care about seeing the 70mm release print in DOLBY I don’t care about anything else!!

STAR WARS 3D :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Post subject: Re: STAR WARS 3D Epic Fail!
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 18:19 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have already decided to pass on 3D movies a long time ago. I used to be short-sighted (not anymore after LASIK) but I have never been able to see 3D effects well. I have to concentrate REALLY hard to see the extreme effects and by the time I'm focused (takes 1~2 seconds), it's too late already.

I *DID* enjoy U23D in IMAX because they were not trying to get too many in-your-face 3D effects, just nice volumes and wonderful sound/IMAX picture.

I'd go for a good IMAX transfer anytime. "I am legend", "Dark Night" were like watching a new movie all over again. Visually stunning.

Julien

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 19:23 
True fan
True fan

Lucasfilm has stated that they WILL convert Phantom Menace to 3D and "see how well it does" before doing the other films. If they started with Star Wars (1977) they might make enough money to continue, but Phantom? I'm not worried about ever seeing a listing for ESB in 3D at my local theater.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 21:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

That is the reason I liked Avatar in 3d. It was all in the background. On a really big screen it was pretty cool. Regardless, that is the only 3d movie I have seen except for some of the 50s stuff. lol

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 01:42 
laserbite34 wrote:
I guess everyone that is a true loyal STAR WARS fan will not give into to Lucas once called little children’s film which as no doubt raped the vision of what STAR WARS once stood for.
Oh and this is filmmaker hypocrite that once said he’s for “preserving film”.

I say we just let STAR WARS 3D play to empty seats in cinemas well empty to the loyal fans that should say: nope I’m going to sleep the whole month and not care one bit about STAR WARS 3D. Which is what I’m going to do as I don’t see anything special it and I only care about seeing the 70mm release print in DOLBY I don’t care about anything else!!

STAR WARS 3D :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I understand your point. I could care less about 3D, but it's becoming a standard option on blockbuster movies now, including their BD counterparts. 3D is fun, but requires too much mental concentration for me to enjoy it as more than a spectacle. If I had the option of seeing Star Wars reissued to theatres as regular HD or 3D upconversions, I would save the $3 surcharge for 3D and just go for the high-def version. Hopefully we get to choose when these get re-released.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 03:44 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

mikeystoyz wrote:
That is the reason I liked Avatar in 3d. It was all in the background. On a really big screen it was pretty cool. Regardless, that is the only 3d movie I have seen except for some of the 50s stuff. lol

Oddly enough I only care to play a few moments from Avatar (2009) now I don’t care to watch the whole film though again and It never once had a full 1080i showing on the LCD projector I watched it on the widescreen CRT. soundtrak was gerat too bad it wasn't also encoded with DOLBY TrueHD I might have enjoyed a lot more. The James Horner score kept reminding me of Aliens and Titanic. :lol:
hueydeweylouie wrote:

I understand your point. I could care less about 3D, but it's becoming a standard option on blockbuster movies now, including their BD counterparts. 3D is fun, but requires too much mental concentration for me to enjoy it as more than a spectacle. If I had the option of seeing Star Wars reissued to theatres as regular HD or 3D upconversions, I would save the $3 surcharge for 3D and just go for the high-def version. Hopefully we get to choose when these get re-released.

“Blockbusters” I think some have barley made their money back except a few.

I was thinking anyone want to bet that R2 uses his retro rockets and flies over the rock to park inside that ridiculously small opening behind that rock in STAR WARS A New Hope bluray, SIGH "Noooo". The rock may appear to be flat on screens because it is flat but in Lucas mind its big and round and R2 flies over it in new THX digitally mastered ILM never before seen CGI! Then again maybe R2 doesn’t and I don’t care to find out no longer interested in STAR WARS of today.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 09:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My first 3-D film experience was Transformers - 3.
I lked it but not too impressed.
Sound is more important to me then visual anyway.
To each their own.
Now if the original Herbie the LoveBug was released 3-D count me in !!! LOL

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 17:04 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I'll only go to see a movie in 3D if it was shot in 3D. Almost all of the 3D post-conversions I've seen (Clash of the Titans, Shark Night 3D among others) have looked like utter s**t and the 3D effects unbelieveably ho-hum.

Only 3D post-conversion that was worth seeing was The Nightmare Before Christmas.

The first 3D movie I ever saw was Creature from the Black Lagoon. My dad took me to a revival screening of that when I was 6 years old. Still one of my favorite sci-fi/horror movies of all time!

Heck, I remember back in the 80s some of the local TV stations would air 3D movies. You'd have to go to your local 7-11 convenience store to pick up the blue and red 3D glasses. Saw Revenge of the Creature and The Mask this way as well as an odd Hong Kong "Chop-Socky" the name of which I can't recall!

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 13:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

elahrairrah wrote:
I'll only go to see a movie in 3D if it was shot in 3D. Almost all of the 3D post-conversions I've seen (Clash of the Titans, Shark Night 3D among others) have looked like utter s**t and the 3D effects unbelieveably ho-hum.

Only 3D post-conversion that was worth seeing was The Nightmare Before Christmas.

I generally agree with you, most conversions stick out like a sore thumb but I have to admit seeing the Lion King in 3D the other week was simply amazing. The conversion was done so well you would think that the film had been designed to be in 3D in the first place.

As for live action conversions count me out.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]