It is currently 09 May 2024, 19:35

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Recommend a new horror movie
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 15:29 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Horror movies were always a big slice of the LD sales pie chart, and they are still popular with collectors. But let's face it, the list of titles is finite. Some of the most original filmmaking is going on in this genre today, and if you have run across one recently you thought worked well, I'm sure others would appreciate a tip.

Here are a few recent ones I can recommend to hardcore fans of the genre:

"Plaguetown" Some of the most unsettlingly creepy images in recent genre filmmaking. Plus people get killed one by one.

"Devil" A throwback to the golden age of suspense dramas that put the emphasis on character development, suspense and believable dialogue. Plus people get killed one by one.

"The Signal" A different take on the basic zombie film, with a bizarrely comical mid-section that entertains without destroying the tense atmosphere of the horror sequences.

"Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon" Like "Scream," a witty deconstruction of the serial killer genre and all the twisted star-making machinery it has spawned. Plus it will keep you guessing and playing along all the way to the end.

"Laid to Rest"
The most gory fun in ages, reminiscent in some ways of "Phantasm," but with a sympathetic trio of leads and an unstoppable boogeyman on their tail named Chromeskull. Avoid the new sequel ("Chromeskull"), which is stylish and continues the saga but without anyone to root for.

"After Life" Christina Ricci wakes up to find herself dead and Liam Neeson is the mortician determined to go through with her embalming no matter what she says. This one will also keep you guessing and waiting for Ricci to find some clothes.

"Quarantine 2" The zombie-making virus finds its way onto an airliner -- "shakes on a plane," anyone? Need I add, people get killed one by one?

:lolno:

"J"

Post subject: Re: Recommend a new horror movie
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 21:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Quarantine 2 was in an Airport no, in an apartment building ala Rec2. If we are going zombies, check out the Horde. Now if you want zombies on an airplane look for Flight of the Living Dead. Lol. Try Pulse for a really strange plague movie, and Pulse 2 and 3 if you want to see another weird set of movies. If you want to be disturbed to no end check out Dead Girl. I promise you will never be the same again. If you want to see a good werewolf movie, any of the Gingersnaps movie or Dog Soldiers. You cant go wrong. For a fun movie check out Hide and Creep. You cant go wrong.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 22:50 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Thanks for some unknown titles. I wouldn't recommend "Dead Girl" personally. It's less a horror movie than a sort of exercise in sickness.

"Quarantine 2" spends the first 45 minutes on an airplane and then sets down and the passengers "escape" into a sealed luggage terminal. Don't know what movie you were talking about.

"J"

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 22:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Lol, Rec is the Spanish Version of Quarantine. It take place in a building. Quarantine 2 takes place in an airplane and then an airport. Rec2 takes place in the same building. Dead Girl is a very unusual movie. It is pretty sick and twisted, but is a rather decent movie.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 23:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Actually, quarantine is a remake of Rec. In that order.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 10:21 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The most recent film I've seen that truly horrified me was Lars von Trier's film Antichrist. It is a film that really challenges you with some confronting yet beautiful images and very controversial ideas. It's like the thinking man's horror.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 17:21 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Ti West's House of the Devil was a great throwback of a horror movie (even took place in the 80s!)

His latest to be coming out soon looks good as well . . .

The Innkeepers

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2011, 03:54 
I enjoyed House of the Devil as well.

30 Days of Night isn't that new but it is semi-recent and I enjoyed it a lot. Great practical FX work and the movie plays it straight the whole way through.

Last night we watched Attack the Block which I loved. Not exactly horror, more of a action/sci-fi monster flick with some horror elements but I really liked it.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 08:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I can hardly keep up with the new horror films as they come out. And when I do catch them, there's only very few that are enjoyable because they are either some sort of remake or have a plot already done too many times.

In fact, I have yet to see all of the horror films prior to 1990 that I would like, so the newer stuff is gradually becoming less of an interest. There are many Giallos yet to view and plenty of B-films from the 70s and 80s yet to be seen. I think I've pretty well viewed the 50s and 60s thanks to late night TV, etc. Although I had not seen Atomic Submarine and First Man Into Space until 2 yrs ago when I got the LD.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 18:47 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Talking zombies with a friend of mine recently, I reminded myself of this UK miniseries that aired back in 2008 . . .

Dead Set

It has running zombies, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Of course, there is no NTSC DVD release that I know of so you'll need an all-region player and be capable of playing a PAL DVD if you are not in the UK.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2011, 03:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I will have to check it out, is it on hulu?

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2011, 15:29 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Not that I know of. I had to import a DVD from the UK to see it.

It did air on IFC last year, but still no region 1 DVD.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 05:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I do have a all region player, so I can play it, lol. I will have to order it. Looks awesome.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 14:30 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

ucfmatt wrote:
30 Days of Night isn't that new but it is semi-recent and I enjoyed it a lot. Great practical FX work and the movie plays it straight the whole way through.

I'd agree 30 Days of Night was one of the better more recent horror releases.
Be warned though the sequel (30 Days of Night: Dark Days) is a major disappointment.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]