It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:59

Page 9 of 14 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do any of you guys collect video games?
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2016, 07:01 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Yes, thanks!!! :mrgreen:
....I just LOVE Sega my friend! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2016, 17:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

found a PANASONIC FZ-1 3DO console at the GW yesterday, $1.99, no controller, no nothing save for the console itself.
disc tray would not expel, figured the price was right, and there was plenty of chance that i could fix it just fine.

open it up at home, and find that a cracked game disc had managed to get itself wedged UNDER the disc tray!!
got it all cleaned out, cleaned up, transport mecha re-lubricated, get it back together and try an Audio CD.
seems to spool up as expected, so i guess it seems fully functional...

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 22:20 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

^good find and you are lucky you could fix it.

found some interesting videos
https://youtu.be/jOyfZex7B3E Sega Saturn hack
https://youtu.be/b64Bx0WKh7M Metal Jesus finds a US release N64DD Disk Drive
https://youtu.be/ug-CyGXMabg Ben Heck Teardown of SNES/PlayStation Prototype

Also news about a mini NES to hit stores this November with 30 original games built in.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2016, 20:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Bought this on a gaming event last weekend. Chrono Trigger has the original sealing but has been opened from the side so certainly not NIB (which is fine to me). Wasn't exactly cheap but keeping in mind how common the repros have gotten on eBay it felt much better buying a copy in person that I know is authentic. The same guy actually had a brand new CT but I didn't feel like spending all money I make in a month on a game that I'll never get to play. Castlevania was 800 SEK, equal to 93 USD which felt decent considering the risks of import charges and such when bought from non-EU countries.

And no, nothing is sun-bleached. The picture was just so red I had to edit it in Gimp.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2016, 22:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

A shame you don't have time to play Chrono Trigger. Wonderful RPG. Bought it many years ago on a forum, cartridge only and US version. Also got the DS version as well to play on the go. :) Didn't know it had a lot of repro cartridges floating around. Must be a fairly recent thing? Only SNES repro cartridges I have are of unreleased games with translation patches applied. Now I got a SD2SNES, so no need to buy repros anymore. :lol:

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2016, 22:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've spent plenty of hours playing Chrono Trigger! But on my SD2Snes of course. :P I would just not ever open a sealed copy of it. Would be nice to play the original cart but I think my flashcart will do just fine for the future, plus I've only got an unmodded SFC that I don't feel like open or cut up just for this single game.

For the past months I've seen many faked Chrono Triggers around the net, so many that I thought I'd never get my hands on it. Should also be noted that I usually never buy cartridges (only use flashcarts, original optical discs and digital downloads (Steam, PSN, Origin etc) for a number of reasons) but due to my passion of this very specific game I felt like something was missing in my collection.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2016, 23:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Can understand that... Got a boxed Chrono Trigger (not sealed) in my collection too that I aquired later on. Though, it is the japan version, but looks nice on the shelf. :)

The flashcart is more than adequate to play games. I rarely use anything else these days. CD based games I burn a bunch of since flash carts not always is an option, most of my NGCD library are copied games. :lol: Have been wondering to modify my 3DO with that USB drive thing. Looks neat.

I don't feel like procuring a large game library for all my video game and computer systems. I just want to play the games on original hardware. Video game prices have shot through the roof the last few years. Nothing like when I started collecting 15 years ago. Free stuff then is houndreds of dollars now. Plus, I've always had a modified Playstation and copied games in general on my console and PC. I don't really mind flashcarts and CD-Rs.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 15:10 
Serious fan
Serious fan

UPDATE:

I bought a 3DO FZ-10 last week and today a NEO GEO AES (with Unibios 3.2).
Both consoles are equipped with all important cables.

3DO Games:

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Slayer (PAL)
Killing Time (PAL)
Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed (PAL)
Road Rash (PAL)
Samurai Shodown (NTSC-J)
Shanghai: Triple-Threat (PAL)
Stablade (PAL)
Super Street Fighter II X: Grand Master Challenge (NTSC-J)

NEO GEO Games:

Art of Fighting (JP)
Art of Fighting 2 (JP)
Samurai Spirits (JP)
Samurai Spirits 2 (JP)
The King of Fighters '96 (JP)

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 02:29 
True fan
True fan

Forgot I had these pics of a pretty unique gameboy display case I have:

The bottom picture is of a paper insert that came with it that shows pictures of a few games - interestingly enough one of the games pictured (called "Doomslayer") was apparently never released.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 15:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

not a lot of ASSAULT SUIT LEYNOS fans outside of Japan, -at least, it does not seem like there are-
but i nevertheless count myself among the most die-hard of them.

i've adored the game since childhood, when my mom bought me the U.S. SEGA GENESIS "TARGET EARTH" localization around 1991.

when the SONY PS4 remake came along around 2016, i was all over it. a very solid remake of an already solid game.
i have nearly every sequel/prequel game in the series, save for the PS2 ASSAULT SUIT VALKEN 2.

one of these days i ought to correct that, as well as acquire the PLUM 1/35 VALKEN Assault Suit model,
to accompany my LEYNOS in the same scale from the same manufacturer...

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 15:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Lately I've been buying Wii games. Outside of a few titles, there are really good and fun games for dirt cheap prices.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 15:51 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

gypsy wrote:
Lately I've been buying Wii games. Outside of a few titles, there are really good and fun games for dirt cheap prices.

I've had a wii since launch and have rarely used it. now its in storage but I just hate the wiimote and using a controller should always be a two handed affair not this annoying one handed nonsense.
I might have to get rid of it one of these days. Though luckily I have Zelda on the gamecube but then Skyward sword is only on will. NiGHTS journey of Dreams is messed up to me. I just want to use the 3D control pad for Saturn. Ugh good games some of but annoying controls.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 18:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah games where I didn't hate the motion controls were Sin & Punishment and the Mario Galaxy games. Most other games I really enjoyed I used the classic controller. I mostly just decided to go deep like I did with PS1 and Dreamcast while everything is still cheap.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 18:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yep I have had pretty much everything in the past. From a VB and PCE GT to a New Astro City cabinet and a zillion PCB's.

I've moved almost everything I had on now. I still have a JP PS2 and XB360 and a stack of games. All in storage for now. 99.9% obscure stuff, stg's and Japanese titles.

Books, mags, soundtracks, vinyl, laserdiscs, VHS, arcade sticks etc. Loads of stuff. I'll probably move almost all of it on soon as it's just sat in storage. Looking back I think there was very little that didn't pass through my collection at some stage. Exceptions would be stuff like the Casio Loopy, Bandai Playdia etc.

It rapidly becomes hoarding though which is why I moved it on over the years. This was all before prices became stupid of course. No time for it these days, I've enough to be doing, I play my Switch and 3DS and that's about it. I've a PS4 Pro I've hardly touched but don't want to move it on as I have Battle Garrega and Darius Burst CS limited editions for it. Not sure I'll go next gen though if pushed I'd probably go for the XBox as MLB The Show is finally going to be available on other consoles and no longer a PS exclusive.

Not sure I can be bothered though, I don't play enough any more. If anything a Switch upgrade would be on my radar when one arrives. Almost all digital too, I'm not precious over physical media for games any more. Waste of space and limited editions are just boxes of tat now. It's gotten.so saturated and so stupid that limited editions are being sold without the actual game at all, physical or digital, these days. Madness!

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 19:07 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

16-bit for life. The newer stuff...eh...I buy it, but it just doesn’t get played as much as Neo Geo and PC Engine. I even my kid basically prefers Sonic 2 and Bonk’s Revenge to anything modern.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 19:14 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Don't forget 16-bit-style games (sprite-based, more tiles than polygons) on 32-bit machines. I'll never get tired of Suikoden II.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 19:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Out of every system I've had over the years, for me the PCE Duo R was the best. It was light years ahead of anything else out at the time. Even the original PCE was punching well above it's weight but was so very good.

Perhaps following that I'd go for the Sega Saturn. Blast Wind is one of my favourites. Such a shame it was originally called Inazuma Savior for it's release in game centres in Japan but it never made it.

The game had a couple of location tests and that was it. I was informed a couple of years ago from a dependable source that the head of TecnoSoft kept the original board until his death not so long back.

No idea if the board may ever get dumped now but we live in hope. Such a good game. Hyper Duel too. I had that on Saturn and PCB. Personally I preferred the Saturn version.

Neo Geo is pretty good though I'm not a fighting game fan. Baseball and football games and the rally titles were good though. Metal Slug series too of course, I had those on an MVS 1 Slot with unibios. Oh and the golf game with the guy that looks like Warren Cox from Brewsters Millions in it was great too!

Still, PCE for me by a country mile. Everything about it was brilliant. Not just the console but all the merch around it too. Winds of Thunder too, one of the greatest soundtracks to a game EVER. No contest.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 22:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I should mention I've had the Wii for a long time. But I've mostly stayed to rpgs and/or Nintendo brand games. Unsurprisingly Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn is one of my favorite games ever. Now I'm looking into offbeat games that are cheap mostly. It's hard to not get $5-6 worth of fun out of a game imo.

rcarlson wrote:
Don't forget 16-bit-style games (sprite-based, more tiles than polygons) on 32-bit machines. I'll never get tired of Suikoden II.

Yeah a lot of my favorites on PS1 are 16 bit style. Even games with 3D like Xenogears could have been made on the SNES, it would just look different. I do love me some janky 3D at times though. Ore no Ryouri is something I had a great time with. PS1 has a lot to offer in terms of game library imo.

signofzeta wrote:
16-bit for life. The newer stuff...eh...I buy it, but it just doesn’t get played as much as Neo Geo and PC Engine. I even my kid basically prefers Sonic 2 and Bonk’s Revenge to anything modern.

I like Bonk a lot more than Sonic. I'd play a 2D Sonic game before pretty much any modern AAA open world snoozer though.

I mostly don't enjoy modern game design. The PS360 is when everything started to homogenize imo, but the Wii library still has a ton of character. I guess Nintendo is always kind of separate from the rest anyway. My favorite companies by far making games now are From Soft and Nihon Falcom. Those two companies I am paying close attention to as well as the Yakuza franchise but that's about it. Notice it's all Japanese stuff, what a coincidence.. I tried Ghost of Tsushima recently because theoretically I should enjoy that game because I love the setting and material. It started out enjoyable but then it hit the open world and I quickly got bored and ditched it. Often times the random stand outs for me like Octopath Traveler (I loved this game) are designed like an old game. Dragon Quest XI is one I have mixed feelings on but with the right settings was enjoyable. I don't like the direction that is being taken with Fire Emblem.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2021, 16:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
I've a PS4 Pro I've hardly touched but don't want to move it on as I have Battle Garrega and Darius Burst CS limited editions for it...

Run -don't walk- and go get yourself DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS I and II.

they are both penultimate gaming experiences that are not to me missed. Seriously, trust me on this one...

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2021, 23:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rcarlson wrote:

That makes sense in theory but it just doesn’t work for me. As soon as you introduce “checking memory card...” prompts and 15 second load times not to mention unreliable hardware, it’s not the same. I want to be able to switch the thing on and be in-game in less than ten seconds. I want to be killed or beat the game in a half hour or so. I need a no BS point to point path to fun every time.

My favorite stuff is arcade, where all you do is plug the game in...and it’s up and running. Nobody can pause it or configure the controls. Perfection.

I have a Switch. It’s nice, but if it ever asks me to log in or anything I usually put it back on the charger. The time it takes me to reset a password or update a payment method could be used to whip someone’s a** in KOF 98.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 9 of 14 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next