True fan

Aren't we all!!! :lol:

Post subject: Re: Another great video store bites the dust
PostPosted: 21 May 2014, 03:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elviscaprice wrote:
integra wrote:
I'm never away from home for a long time, and I'm never going to move again in my life (it causes terrible troubles because of my autism).
So, I don't have to carry anything around. I love physical media, and I love the content.

Standing in front of my collection, feels a bit like being in a rental store,, only... I don't have to pay for it :D

:thumbup: Nothing wrong with that. Make me envious at my more reflective moments.
Elvis

Sums up an interesting dichotomy.
- He who travels quickest and farthest, travels light ...(and alone !)
- Some of us are rooted in one locale... (accumulation of stuff is a side effect)

I like both options, to roam and have a home base for my "stuff" !
Honour to both camps here...............
Once again I understand elvice and even agree with his logic.
I also very much agree with integra, from time to time I tend to revel in my collection and find great solace.

Listen, I get it, web opened up a world market right into your computer wherever it is in your home or even abroad.
Many good things that were impossible to obtain without traveling physically are now several clicks away from posting to you directly !
I do like this manifestation of technology.
Also am fond of just drifting through someone's treasure trove of accumulation.
Some people have a talent for finding and aquiring weird exotic stuff.
Those that opened a shop and shared these aquirements with the world were very popular in their circles.
Just ask the owner of Thomas Video .....
That store has had such a sublime impact on so many that words can not even do justice here.

It is my sincere hope that somehow someway we can have the best of both worlds to shop at, the physical presense of a store front with its shingle out combined with the cyber option to cruise through their inventory from anywhere at anytime.

All things must pass.
This includes trends and genres, people, and moments in time .........
As this chapter in history marches on, it can not only be a door closing but simultaneously another that opens .....

PostPosted: 22 May 2014, 17:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

integra wrote:
We still have rental stores in Holland, but only Blu-Ray and DVD.
Sometimes I ge a little sentimental, thinking of the past, when our local video rental store had walls full of Betamax, VHS, and Laserdisc (yeah!)
At the end of the 90's, the Beta tapes were gone, but the Laserdiscs were still available (even new titles!), and we got DVD's.

It seems so long ago.... I'm just 32 but sometimes I feel old :(

same age here. i grew up around Video rental shops, since my parents were rent-a-holics.
i still remember browsing for what seemed like an hour or more at a time, and getting a lot of oddball, and quite often awesome looking
cover art for many a B and C movie on VHS, a plethora of weird-ass little chestnuts that probably haven't even seen a single DVD reissue...

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2014, 04:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

OK guys, so I went to Thomas Video yesterday. They have a lot of LDs.

I can't say I saw anything super duper awesome, but the selection is EXTREMELY well rounded. You'd think a shop that sold used LDs would be all full of 1000 copies of Speed and Basic Instinct, but there are loads of Criterion, classics, cartoons, foreign, etc. Not a great number of imports, but you can't have everything. I didn't see any DTS.

Considering this is a store where people have been flipping through these (used) LDs for who knows how long, condition could be worse. If you are one of those people who whinge about "seem splits" don't bother buying anything from them because you will be sent into a rage over something. If you want to gets some cool new movies for your collection, do contact them.

I bought a few discs:

$146.28

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2014, 04:49 
Serious fan
Serious fan

What a cold lonely world it will be when everything is just a download or streaming. Certain people can say what they want, I think they're full of s--t. "Oh it so great I can carry everything on my laptop, ipad, phone, whatever." Really? I travel quite a bit and funny, I never seem to need to carry movies all over the country.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2014, 15:45 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

signofzeta wrote:
OK guys, so I went to Thomas Video yesterday. They have a lot of LDs.

I can't say I saw anything super duper awesome, but the selection is EXTREMELY well rounded. You'd think a shop that sold used LDs would be all full of 1000 copies of Speed and Basic Instinct, but there are loads of Criterion, classics, cartoons, foreign, etc. Not a great number of imports, but you can't have everything. I didn't see any DTS.

Considering this is a store where people have been flipping through these (used) LDs for who knows how long, condition could be worse. If you are one of those people who whinge about "seem splits" don't bother buying anything from them because you will be sent into a rage over something. If you want to gets some cool new movies for your collection, do contact them.

I bought a few discs:

$146.28

Very cool!

Did you happen to run across any Russ Meyer movies? They're generally in red jackets like this . . .

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2014, 20:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I don't remember any jackets like that, but in general this store has a lot of cult B movie kinda stuff so they could be there.

I'm going back in a couple of weeks for some stuff I had to pass on...and to see what's upstairs.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 01:48 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Well, looks like there are some holdouts out there . . .

Video rental store in Mercer County still going strong
Quote:
Do you still have any stores in your town devoted to movie rentals? For 99 percent of you, the answer is no.
But in Hamilton, Mercer County, residents have the same option they’ve been relying on since the year 2000.
The idea sounds archaic, but at Video Express in Hamilton, their main business is renting out DVDs and video games. And business is still strong, despite the death of shops like Blockbuster Video, and the rise of instant-rental options such as Redbox and streaming services such as Netflix.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 10:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Well, looks like there are some holdouts out there . . .

Video rental store in Mercer County still going strong
Quote:
Do you still have any stores in your town devoted to movie rentals? For 99 percent of you, the answer is no.
But in Hamilton, Mercer County, residents have the same option they’ve been relying on since the year 2000.
The idea sounds archaic, but at Video Express in Hamilton, their main business is renting out DVDs and video games. And business is still strong, despite the death of shops like Blockbuster Video, and the rise of instant-rental options such as Redbox and streaming services such as Netflix.

Great for them that they are able to keep the ship afloat. Hope their patrons stand by them and continue their support.
Thanks for that link.

Still feeling the loss of Thomas Video every time I go to the Detroit area. It's like I have lost another old friend.
Bought many a laserdisc from those good people.

I wonder what finally became of the many thousands that were left "upstairs" at their "new" digs ......... ?

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2016, 14:07 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Anyone in or near Maine? Might be worth it to check this place out since it is going out of business . . .

Camden video store closing after 33 years

. . . article says they used to rent/sell Laserdiscs. Maybe they have some left over?

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 17:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

And yet another . . .

Say goodbye to Bob’s, one of New Jersey’s last video rental shops
Quote:
In New Jersey, besides some ethnically oriented video outlets in the northern part of the state, the only other surviving independent video store appears to be Video Express in Yardville, just outside Trenton. Its owner, Ben Pasqua, agrees with the Karpodinises that the “heart of the business” is why such stores have held on so long.

“I think that people do appreciate that we’re here,” Pasqua said. “My wife often bakes cookies for our customers when we do special parties and events here, and they love it. I think it’s little things like that that customers appreciate.”
But unfortunately, this is the norm . . .

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 01:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

This trend is sad state of the times ... Looks like a great place from the picture.

Physical format is going the way of the dinosaurs.

Red Box ..... what a joke !
Streaming ? What do you watch when the broadband cant handle the volume or internet goes down for any reason..... ?

Thanks for posting this notice elahrairrah .........

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 09:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
Streaming ? What do you watch when the broadband cant handle the volume or internet goes down for any reason..... ?

And what do you do when the rights expire on your favorite Japanese music video or B movie? What if the service decides to delete titles due to lack of interest? But it's your favorite? Can you stream every 1990s Jap scenery LD? Can you stream the '80s video cut of Star Wars?

The reasons why streaming is not acceptable expand far beyond just the joy of having physical media on your shelf.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 10:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
firehorse_44 wrote:

Quote:
And what do you do when the rights expire on your favorite Japanese music video or B movie? What if the service decides to delete titles due to lack of interest? But it's your favorite? Can you stream every 1990s Jap scenery LD? Can you stream the '80s video cut of Star Wars?

The reasons why streaming is not acceptable expand far beyond just the joy of having physical media on your shelf.[/quote

Agree 100 %
Your reasons mentioned certainly add to the joy of having mass quantities of personally selected Media on ones shelves.......
Even more reasons are : the beautiful jacket artwork, linear notes, photo inserts, and lobby cards that were issued with many titles ........
If ones interests are obscure they may have never made the transfer to contemporary media let alone the streaming menu ! .......
Just a few more reasons to keep on collecting 12" and 8" Video Discs ......
"Let's keep LaserDiscs current ! " Is my rally cry !

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 12:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
forper wrote:
firehorse_44 wrote:

Quote:

The reasons why streaming is not acceptable expand far beyond just the joy of having physical media on your shelf.[/quote

Agree 100 %
Your reasons mentioned certainly add to the joy of having mass quantities of personally selected Media on ones shelves.......
Even more reasons are : the beautiful jacket artwork, linear notes, photo inserts, and lobby cards that were issued with many titles ........
If ones interests are obscure they may have never made the transfer to contemporary media let alone the streaming menu ! .......
Just a few more reasons to keep on collecting 12" and 8" Video Discs ......
"Let's keep LaserDiscs current ! " Is my rally cry !

Yep! More good reasons.

But the final reason to me is: CONTROL

If you have it in your hands you have total control over it, you actually OWN it, no matter what happens with rights or any other legal or availability complications later.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 15:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

All good reasons. You can also look to how different movies in different regions have different cuts. For the longest time you couldn't get uncut horror movies in the US and had to import them from Japan.

I don't use Netflix that often (mainly just for the Marvel shows) but I wouldn't be surprised if many of the archive movies uploaded to there are only the US releases rather than international or uncut versions.

Only true way to get those cuts will still be on physical media.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2019, 17:58 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Amazing that some video stores can still survive today.

Well . . . having a lack of broadband internet helps, I suppose!

Rural Pennsylvania still likes this brick-and-mortar rental chain
Quote:
“There is something about physically touching the movies, about flipping it over and reading the back,” Carlton said. “You’re in a movie store for a reason. You came for movies.”

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2019, 00:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Also being in a s****y area with a horrible library will keep rentals alive.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2019, 00:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah. The video store is probably the social and intellectual hub of the entire tri city area.

I’m joking, there are no cities in Warren county. It has only 40k people in its 900 square miles.

Page 3 of 4 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next