It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:48

Page 3 of 5 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What other hobbies do you have?
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2019, 04:48 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

scotts wrote:
I collect and rebuild keyboard instruments. Been playing piano since age 3, undergraduate and masters in pipe organ performance. Played in various rock, blues, and jazz groups over the years. Current instruments include:
- Allen TC-4 (1962 analog organ with an added 3 ranks of pipe for a total of 6 ranks)
- Burton Harpsichord (single manual, 8' 4' stops with lute stop)
- Korg BX-3
- Korg MS 20
- Roland JX-8P
- Rhodes Stage Mark II
- Steinmeyer Pipe Organ (2 rank)
- Steinway Upright
- Wurlitzer 206
- Yamaha DX-7
- Yamaha CP-70B
- Yamaha CP-70M

Also play percussion, bass guitar, electric guitar, and baroque recorder. Got a fretless Fender Jazz Bass and a 6 string Ibanez bass.

Current project is a mystery builder clavichord that needs a new soundboard. Debating on picking up a 1920's concert grand that needs a new set of strings.

Also used to do a lot of work as a portrait, wedding, and event photographer. Pulled back on that recently as I don't have as much time as I used to.

Do you happen know anything about my recently deceased Gulbranson President theater organ? It stopped powering up. I haven’t had time to look inside yet.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2019, 14:40 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Sounds like it could be a fuse.
You need to start with an ohm meter and make sure from the beginning at the power cable that it isn't broken then go from there.

But those types of electronics are pretty bullet proof and I can't think of anything other than the fuse.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2019, 11:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Man that golf sounds like a great idea.
I could see doing it with some buddies and cocktails in soda bottles :lol:

Def! 8-)

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2019, 04:31 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

signofzeta wrote:
Do you happen know anything about my recently deceased Gulbranson President theater organ? It stopped powering up. I haven’t had time to look inside yet.

Haven't been on the forums in a while. Sorry I missed your post. As another person mentioned, fuses are a good place to start. In addition, I'd check the capacitors, particularly on the power supply board.

Best of luck!
Pioneer 151FD

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2019, 07:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

firehorse_44 wrote:

An old Advanced Dungeons and Dragons fan. Still have an army of 25mm figures that I have painted over my life. Still get the paints out and bring minis to life once in awhile.
Like other role playing games like Morrow Project, Fringeworthy, Gamma World, and FTL-2448.

Cool, I paint miniatures as well and played RPGs in the '80s and '90s. I never got a chance to play Morrow Project but the premise is fascinating to me. I have Twilight 2000 and if I could find anybody in my area who liked old games I'd play that any day.

I'm also working on a Cuba invasion scenario in the '80s using 20mm and who knows what rule set.

My miniatures are slowly advancing, has taken many years and will take many more years to get everything I need to actually play the game.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019, 16:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nice mini's Forper !

Painting is spot on.

Will attempt to put some photos up of my miniatures when I can fiddle with making the files smaller. I keep getting the "file too large" error.

Epic pictures, thanks for sharing.

Cheers mate,

JCA

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019, 00:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks firehorse, I know my style is pretty "gritty" and doesn't "pop" on the table, ie no highlighting. but I like it that way.

Please post up pics when you can, I usually resize on my PC using windows photo gallery before uploading

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019, 03:24 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I seem to be getting back into paintball for the...third of forth time I guess. It’s been a really long time since I played and now it seems almost every company I knew has gone. The domestic gun industry is ultra high end only now it seems and the once respectable Tippman is basically a cosplay company now. It’s crazy how time changes things.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019, 14:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

For me, it's action figures. I used to be big into the Soul of Chogokin line but when some of the heavy hitters like Ideon and Gunbuster suffer from design issues, that's really not something I want to deal with when I pay 200+ dollars for a toy. In the other hand, the less engineered entries that are basically just die cast action figures, like Mazinkaiser, have been pretty good in addition to being a lot cheaper. The vehicles have been pretty nice too. One of the major downsides of it all tho is that most of them tend to sell out within hours of pre-orders opening and squatting the listings in hopes for somebody canceling is just more than I want to deal with. I also made a point of collecting all the Showa era Kamen Rider figures from the SH Figuarts line, but I stopped pre-ordering the stuff because my standard outlet for the web exclusives started demanding payment on order which didn't work for me. Fortunately I'm pretty close to completion and new entries are exceedingly rare, but there's still a few backlog entries I need to pick up.

Primarily I'm invested in nostalgic properties, or at least ones nostalgic to me. Transformers is the #1 property for me but I'm starting to run out of reissues to buy and the vintage ones are a complete crapshoot in terms of what condition they're in, and both are expensive so I don't buy them as often. For the past year or so, I've been collecting a ton of figures and vehicles from the 90's Star Wars toyline, and this month I got my first Star Trek figures from Playmates.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2019, 14:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2019, 14:43 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

signofzeta wrote:
I seem to be getting back into paintball for the...third of forth time I guess. It’s been a really long time since I played and now it seems almost every company I knew has gone. The domestic gun industry is ultra high end only now it seems and the once respectable Tippman is basically a cosplay company now. It’s crazy how time changes things.

I have played in the past. it was on a mountain so the guns kept messing up. I guess it is fun but now If I were to get back into I would have a hard time since now it seems to be less popular than when I was growing up. I don't know any ranges or fields to go to though doing it around the neighborhood would be kinda nice if I actually were in a subdivision or more out in the country.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2019, 16:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, when I got back into into paintball this year I found it quite dilapidated but still way bigger than it was when I was into it in the 80s. All my stuff is either super old (1992 PMI Trracer) or massively old fashioned (2019 CCI Phantom) so as long as I can get paintballs themselves and CO2 I’m set.

Paintball at its peak exposure-wise and $-wise was probably 1999 but the type of play they were pushing at that time was Speedball which is a crap version of paintball, IMO. It needs to be in the woods with objectives and randomness and time to play with toads or whatever.

The big field around here is Hell Survivors (est. 198x) which is massive beyond belief and hosts the Monster Game next week which apparently used to attract as many as 2000 but now is more like 500. They have heavy trucks, paintball chain guns, all sorts of crazy stuff. It’s going to kick serious a**. Even though it’s south Michigan’s second hottest weekend usually it’s also almost totally in the shade at Hell Survivors. People I know from around the country are flying in for it, I took time off for it, dialed in all my guns, played a warm up game last week, bought a new massively overpriced mask, I’m super set.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019, 08:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

What's the difference between BB guns and paintball guns?

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019, 10:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The difference is airsoft is cool and I used to play it in Japan.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019, 15:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Airsoft INGRAM M-11 SMG;

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019, 15:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:

BB's are small and either metal or plastic, Airsoft are the plastic type.
I believe they are around 3mm

Paintball are large and about 1/2 inch and full of paint, when you get hit they splatter and show you got hit with a mark.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019, 16:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:

BBs are steel and you have to dig them out of your flesh with a f-ing knife. Paintballs are made of gelatin and water based paint, are 68 caliber and (hopefully) explode on impact so there is less pain or debate about who got hit. There is no organized BB gun competition anywhere in the word (I hope). BB guns were invented as a safer alternative to cap guns that kids were playing with at the turn of the 20th century. They are for target shooting or rodent extermination, not to be shot at humans. (But we totally did before paintball existed).

Paintball guns, the older ones anyway, are very similar to CO2 powered BB guns, they just have a way bigger barrel and it takes way more air to move a paintball than a BB of course. Now the top end paintball guns are all electro pneumatic and inscrutable and have incredible performance for a relatively tiny price. They also have LiPo batteries and firmware. (Seriously). So in the end it’s a lot like an LD player compared to an Apple TV. One is “better” but the other is way more enjoyable to me. I only use 80s style pump action guns, Phantom Trracer, Sterling.

Due to the way laws are setup around the world many countries couldn’t have paintball. The US was the first and then it moved into the Canada, UK, South Africa and other places. In parts of the world like Japan they would have caps on the amount of energy a round can have so basically the size of the paintball made a normal American paintball gun hard to legislate. This lead to the rise of airsoft guns over there whereas in the US we had these yellow pellets launching things for decades and sold them as toys. The airsoft scene in Japan was originally sprung from the replica gun hobby which flat out doesn’t exist in the US at all because we’re swimming in the real ones. Once the airsoft replica guns got realistic Americans took interest. Well, realistic and cheap because Americans are cheap.

Airsoft has seen a big rise here recently. IMO, it sucks. You can never prove hit anyone so screw it. It’s really just a dress up game for war cosplayers that make civil war reenactors look sane. You should see some of the sights and straps and camera and walkies and smoke grenades and magazines and s**t these tools carry around with them. Nothing it too stupid to wear because none of it is performance related, it’s about being an invincible GI Joe. It also fills the woods with plastic that will be there nearly forever whereas paintballs melt with rain.

A classic paintball gun isn’t a replica of anything, it’s a real paintball gun. Paintball is at its best when it isn’t a fake war, but rather a real game.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019, 21:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

We played with 6mm plastic BBs..

Tasuke, that is cool as hell..

Here's the gun I had in Japan that Australian customs melted down : (

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019, 21:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The not so new kid on the block is simunition.

My para-medic buddies cross train with sheriff dept deputies, local SWAT, and air Marshall's utilizing this simulator tech that definitely hurts like he** however is non lethal.

Much closer then paintball for training purposes.

Not exactly sure how long simunition has been around, however much talked about in the last five years in tactical training circles where I work.....

Still remember using a wrist rocket with paintball ammo for the fun of it lol.
Old daisy and crossman pump bb guns were our ordinance while growing up......
We would get bored and shoot each other.....

Young and dumb.....

Had a cousin who got one eye destroyed when a friend shot at his feet.....
Costly mistakes.....

No matter what flavor you roll with, wear proper protection people.
Eye protection especially !

Cheers to the membership.....

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019, 21:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, the mask is the most important piece of gear in the game.

Page 3 of 5 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next