It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:55

Page 1 of 5 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: What other hobbies do you have?
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 05:24 
I was wonding what other hobbies you guys have rather than collecting LaserDiscs.
For me, I collect two other things.
1.Vintage keyboards and harddrives
2.Logos from Television, Movies, or anywhere else.

My keyboard collection is small but is slowly growing (LaserDiscs take first priority, of course.). For those who would like a good keyboard, may I suggest an IBM Model M. I have two of these babies and am typing on them right now. They feel so good to type on. They make a clicky sound when typed on. Believe me, once you type on one of these, regular keyboards feel really bad.

My logo collection is quite large. I first started collecting logos back in 2007-8 and haven't really stopped. LaserDisc (although I do enjoy LaserDiscs for many other reasons) being an old format and in high quality lured me to it. I though if these releases are old then the logos wouldn't be plastered( a term used to describe a previous logo being removed and replaced with a newer logo).
My YouTube channel "randomtvandmoviejunk" has gained quite a bit of attention which has pushed me on my search for rarer and more unusual logos.
So what are your other hobbies?

Post subject: Re: What other hobbies do you have?
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 05:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

My wife goes to garage sales and buys things that we sell to other people. We buy older electrics. She just bought a 1985 upgraded mac computer. the 0001 model or whatever it was for 25 dollars. We sold it for 150 broke. Would have been 10 times that working, lol. Oh well. I collect swords on occasion. I have about 15 now including several battle ready weapons. I collect old guns of which I have 2. They get expensive. I have a curio license so I can straight up buy 50 year old guns easier then most people. I collect zombie books and have about 40 hard copies and 300 books on my kindle. I just buy things that look cool. Sometimes it pays off so I can buy more stuff. It is a never ending cycle!!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 12:30 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I was always a music fan long before I got into laserdiscs. Collecting music laserdiscs was just a natural extension.
On the plus side laserdisc introduced me to a much wider range of music that I might otherwise not have explored.

The catalogue of music across all formats is so vast that in a lifetime you would only get to hear a tiny portion of it but this keeps it really interesting and fresh.
As individual items to collect can vary enormously in price it is a hobby that can be tailored for almost anyone's finances.
For my favourite bands I would collect other related merchandise.

I'm also a big Macintosh computer fan - mostly 68xxxx series equipment. My little compact Macintosh SE/30 with a RasterOps 264/30 24 colour card takes pride of place.

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 20 Nov 2011, 17:51, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 14:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

i collect action figures, ive got hundreds of them :S i spend alot of money going to shows too, im about to see judas priest on their last world tour today!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 17:29 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I collect video games (I have over 3,600) and old computers - all ranging from 1976 through now. Besides collecting them, I actually use them too. Some pics can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 4c1721f043 . I'm in the process of moving to a ... ermm.. bigger house so it'll look a bit different in the future.

I also just recently got my ham license (KF5MDY) and have been playing with PSK31 (digital over HF). I'm using an old Yaesu FT 707 that I inherited from my stepdad some years back.

I run a website dedicated to the Amiga CD32 (www.amigacd32.com) and some forums.

Lastly, I'm rebuilding a 1966 Mustang... basic 3 speed, inline 6 non-exciting version (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 1fda11f81b).

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 18:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have an old computer, lol. a 99/4a texas instruments I think. I cant see it right now. They are pretty cool. We just get things that interest us and then someone offers us a lot of money for it and it is like ok, on ward to another hunt. My biggest hobby is hunting for stuff. I think I am going to be on Auction Wars this Tuesday because of it. Anyway, I do have a few things I personally like. I collect hot sauce personally, the hotter the better. I am growing ghost chilis right now, which are very interesting peppers. I collect horror movies, with priority to zombies, werewolves and vampires. Though when I went to touch a Twilight movie it burned my hands so I quit.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 20:11 
True fan
True fan

I've been a collector all my life. As a kid it was action figures and movie cards, in my teens it was comic books and records, 20's it was CD's and books, now its laserdiscs, jazz records, and silent films. My bigger problem is when I go through my older collections and see that there is something I am missing and suddenly have to have it. As soon as I do, it goes in the box with the others and I wonder why I just spent money on something that's just going to sit there. It just never ends.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 23:11 
mikeystoyz wrote:
have an old computer, lol. a 99/4a texas instruments I think
I also have an old computer. A generic 486. I installed 2 5.25" floppy drives and 2 3.5" floppy drives in it. I have a few 5.25" games but mostly 3.5" games. I might get one of those serial port laserdisc players and connect it to this computer.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 00:13 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Other hobbies? Hmmmm, my main thing is Long Distance riding. http://ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
It's relaxing and nobody outside of a very few people *get it*, no matter how you explain it.
I also enjoy antiques, and have a bit of a currency collection. Passing interest 'hobbies' would be CED's, 8tracks, reels,DVHS,vinyl, Atari 2600.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 02:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I happen to have a serial port laserdisc player, I am working on it as we speak as there is something wrong with the tracking.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 03:19 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

alchemy541 wrote:
Other hobbies? Hmmmm, my main thing is Long Distance riding. http://ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
It's relaxing and nobody outside of a very few people *get it*, no matter how you explain it.
I also enjoy antiques, and have a bit of a currency collection. Passing interest 'hobbies' would be CED's, 8tracks, reels,DVHS,vinyl, Atari 2600.

I totally get it, though I can't ride a motorcycle. I can get in a car, or bicycle, and just go... in a car, it used to be for days, just to go.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 04:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have wanted to go to Los Angeles before, 70 miles west of me and have ended up in Berkley (400 Miles away), more then once. I have been across the US several times and can just drive so yep, I can understand the allure.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 04:49 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I have also been a collector for most of my life. I started collecting keychains when I was only 3. My grandmother loved to travel so she always brought me home a cool keychain. From there it just blossomed into the fads that came around while I was growing up. Pogs, trading cards, Crazy Bones. I didn't just like to play, I liked to collect.

From there I got into collecting videogames, which is still my largest collection. Everything from Atari 2600 up to PS3. I also collect TV show Christmas/Holiday specials on VHS and DVD. I just love Christmas and I love seeing every show's take on the holiday. Be it their version of A Christmas Carol, a very special episode, or just a story about sharing, it's something I love searching out.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 00:01 
Honest fan
Honest fan

My other hobbies are audio equipment and tape recorders (reel, cassette and 8 track), old computers (Sinclair QL, Morrow CP/M, Atari ST, HP 120 CP/M) and one 1968 Firebird patiently waiting in storage for me to get enough money together to get it on the road again. And I am trying to see all the remaining 1948 Tucker's. I have managed to see quite a few including some running and 5 at once at the Blackhawk Museum in Danville, California. If you haven't seen the movie "Tucker" with Jeff Bridges and dad Lloyd Bridges check it out.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 00:26 
True fan
True fan

dwalterm wrote:
My other hobbies are audio equipment and tape recorders (reel, cassette and 8 track), old computers (Sinclair QL, Morrow CP/M, Atari ST, HP 120 CP/M) and one 1968 Firebird patiently waiting in storage for me to get enough money together to get it on the road again. And I am trying to see all the remaining 1948 Tucker's. I have managed to see quite a few including some running and 5 at once at the Blackhawk Museum in Danville, California. If you haven't seen the movie "Tucker" with Jeff Bridges and dad Lloyd Bridges check it out.

I love that movie. How many Tucker's are known to still be around?

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 01:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Not a simple answer. There are purists who claim only the 37 fully completed at the factory count. If you go the other way there were 52 counting the Tin Goose prototype and the Convertible prototype. One was crashed at Indy during endurance testing (driven off the track). #18,23,and 42 are destroyed - one by fire while in a Warehouse awaiting restoration. So, 48 is my best guess.

Details at wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Tucker_Sedan

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 12:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

dwalterm wrote:
old computers (Sinclair QL, Morrow CP/M, Atari ST, HP 120 CP/M)

Awesome! I myself also like to keep "old computers I used to love in the past", so I still got one Atari 520 ST and an Atari Falcon 030.

Other hobbies include collecting Blu-rays and HD-DVD's, as well as miniature trucks and Anime figures.
Actually my room is so full that I don't really have space left to add new items, but sometimes I just can't resist and have to add some
new items to my collection.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 07:46 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Old Cars of limited numbers.... how about a '74 Bricklin SV-1 that hangs out in our garage? :)

http://d43.utnij.net

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 09:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Laserdisc being my favorite format.

Audio & Visual in general is my only Hobby

When I left school my main hobby from the start was Audio,
I purchased ghetto blasters from the likes of Sharp.

Then when getting into HiFi Separates I had a NAD amp, Technics sound ex pander, an AR record deck, ADC graphic equalizer,
Yamaha FM tuner, NAKAMICHI DRAGON, BX 300, CR7 Cassette decks. also Cassette decks from AIWA 990.

I enjoy purchasing collecting Tangible media: CD, SACD & Mini Discs (mostly CD's Now) pre-recorded music from specialized online outlets.

Gardening has always been a long standing past time, but this has now turned into the love of house Plants.

Regards to all

:thumbup:

Last edited by benmbe on 29 Jul 2017, 08:43, edited 2 times in total. _________________
Το ταξίδι για την αλήθεια κάθε σκάφος δεμένα, κατόπιν δεν είναι να ληφθούν, ή μάλλον βάδισαν

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011, 02:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I enjoy finding vintage appliances and electronics at yard sales and thrift shops that are less than complete of not working and restoring them when possible. I think I know just about every type of mixing bowl or beaters fit which brand mixer, and what blender jar goes to which base, etc. I like getting even the lesser brands of electronics and getting them operating. Something that grew out of my Dad's repair shop.

Just two days ago I picked up a 70s Elgin 8-track amp/receiver in pretty nice shape, walnut finish, just all dirty and such, for $5 and got a set of bookshelf Sanyo walnut finish speakers that match it perfectly for $7. After a good clean-up, and an 8-track tape popped in, it worked fine. Also has good AM and FM pickup and two inputs for phono & aux. That was fun. If I don't keep it, I'll make sure it gets a good home.

Page 1 of 5 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next