It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:01

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for some Dbz DVD's (Pioneer and Steel book DVD's)
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2021, 10:43 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I've had luck here in the past finding LD's, Howsa about some DVD's?

I'm looking for the Pioneer releases of DragonBall Z. They Don't need the cardboard slipcover (although awesome if does), even willing to just buy singles I don't have, that should be fun lol. I know the "Rock the Dragon" box set reissue thing is outta my league, but hey! Maybe we can work something out!

Entertaining the idea of trying to find the movies in steel book form dvds. This is simply to match the new 4:3 Steel books lol.

Let me know if you want to trade. I have vhs, DVD, bluray, for trade. I suppose if there is interest I have comics, video games and other junk of the like. There *may* be some possible trades for LD's laying around, but it's gonna have to be good. Thanks all!

Poking around I have quite a few of the Star Wars steel book blu rays. Some are even new, if anyone has interest in wanting those lol.

Collection/trade fodder update

Just found 4? Volumes of "The Wedding Peach" on DVD. Couple City Hunters and Comic Party

Last edited by infernogames on 16 Nov 2021, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Looking for some Dbz DVD's (Pioneer and Steel book DVD's
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2021, 12:12 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Are the Pioneer OAR? I would recommend the original LD boxes, a genlock and files for the most OG experience without mastering Japanese. Cha La, Head Cha La ...

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2021, 16:23 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The DB and DBZ TV series were never released on LD, only the festival films. That’s why all the fansubs back in the day had time stamps (taped off TV).

I’ve never heard anything good about any US Dragonball DVD.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 00:00 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

signofzeta wrote:
I’ve never heard anything good about any US Dragonball DVD.

Yeah, the DVD releases are hit and miss. Orange bricks get you by, the pioneer singles are edited (but I'm looking for that too Nami experience, hence why I want the singles or rock the dragon)

Beyond that it's blu rays, the new blu rays are pretty solid. Not perfect but solid.

I wish there was more dbz on LD. All I really want is the broly movie and I'll be happy with dbz on LD lol. Have come across dbz and DB on Vcd though

Last edited by infernogames on 16 Nov 2021, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 00:01 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

pobodys_nerfect wrote:
Are the Pioneer OAR?

OAR?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 00:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

infernogames wrote:
Orange bricks get you by

Yeah, if you don't care about OAR = Original Aspect Ratio.

The closest Funimation's gotten to getting it "right" was the Dragonboxes and ofc they had to make those limited pressings so they cost hundreds of dollars in the aftermarket and are impossible to get.

At this point, it's literally better to just take the high seas route. At least there you can get the audio in the original broadcast quality!

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 02:34 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Oh right right right.

They just started released 4:3 blu rays at the end of last year and are very solid and what I'd steer them to purchase if the want dbz on physical media.

Most readily available, isn't wide-screen, The first few episodes seem heavy handed on "restoration" but as the season have been progressing they look great.

I've been doing many SxS comparisons between the home media I can find, it's been pretty fun! Last time I did this I was comparing LD to DVD lol

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 05:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

infernogames wrote:
They just started released 4:3 blu rays at the end of last year

How'd they f*** up those?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 06:01 
Serious fan
Serious fan

takeshi666 wrote:
infernogames wrote:

Going by reviews on blu-ray.com... barely at all? Picture's a little over-processed, and the "season 1" review at least says that the audio option for English with Japanese music doesn't have the right opening theme song (though the Japanese audio track does). So it sounds like they're not quite as good as the "Level" releases, but unlike with those they've actually put out the entire series. Honestly it sounds too not-cursed for an English Dragon Ball release, so I wonder if they f***ed up the subtitles somehow.

This release was news to me; thanks for sharing, infernogames. If they'd been putting out releases like this when I was in college and liked DBZ more (and had more time), I definitely would have picked them up. Now, if they released the original Dragon Ball on blu-ray...

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 09:48 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

takeshi666 wrote:
infernogames wrote:

I don't think they did. They have been a joy to watch, almost through season 1. Only thing I'd b**ch about at this point is (as far as I've seen) special features are non existent? And it has Japanese translated subtitles, but not the ~actual~ subtitles like some other DVD releases.

Edit~TyPoS~

Last edited by infernogames on 16 Nov 2021, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 09:52 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

rcarlson wrote:

This release was news to me; thanks for sharing, infernogames. If they'd been putting out releases...

I'd say wait on them, they'll print them again in normal cases I'm sure. Their EU counterpart already is. And they play in this region. Funimation will make them too lol.

Maybe by then you'll want to own it, I'm just glad there is an acceptable, hell more than acceptable release of dbz on home media.

rcarlson wrote:
Now, if they released the original Dragon Ball on blu-ray...

They kinda did, a company called selectavision? (don't quote me on that). Super SUPER nice releases but unfortunantly no English option, as far as I know, haven't researched them fully yet, wanna get through dbz/GT first

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 10:15 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

pobodys_nerfect wrote:
Are the Pioneer OAR?

Yes, but censored. You know Pioneer. Put love into their releases lol.

Edit ~Expanded my fanperson? Fangirl? Fanboy? Boi? For Pioneer releases of media

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 13:37 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

All the Dragonball I watched back in the day was taped off Japanese TV, commercials and all, and I never had a problem with it at all.

Anything dubbed or cropped to widescreen SUCKS and I refuse to touch it on any format. Because I’ve never heard anything good about US release in these areas I was never into them.

Wasn’t there a good DBZ DVD set in Japan? I wonder if the value has tanked. That would be a good thing possibly.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 22:58 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

As I'm sure you are aware, people have different tastes.... While I respect the Japanese language, I much MUCH prefer the dub. Ocean or Funimation. It's what I grew up with.

Were they bootleg VHS? That's always fun, loved that Era of anime/releases/bootleggery. That is unless you recorded yourself off Japanese TV o.O

I still think the orange bricks get too much flack. Yeah they are widescreen and heavy handed dnr, but watching the dragon box/4:3 bluray/singles and they are not a horrific butchering like some like to say.

Sure there is compositions that are bad, but viewing all those options together just shows while orange brick is worst option, it's also cheapest, readily available and if all you want is to watch series withoutthe high seas route those are best bet if budget is concerned. This is assuming within USA.

Not all 4:3 conversions or wide-screen conversions are tolerable. The pan and scan version of the Mad Max films I CANNOT STAND on laser disc. But I've seen them so much I notice everything. Maybe that's how it is with some people and the orange bricks. When looking through that lense, I can understand the anger towards them more lol.

As far as Japanese releases on DVD, not sure? Not in the market for those. Thing is I'm looking for these pioneer singles/rock the dragon box for personal reasons/collection (love pioneer releases in general partly)

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2021, 00:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

In the beginning I had a friend who lived in both countries and with the help of his dad he had good collections of DBZ, North Star, etc in the form of Jump comics and VHS. By the time DBZ ended you could buy DBZ pirate subbed in Chinatown three days after it aired. I dropped out…somewhere in there. Z got super lame at the end which was way way too long.

Dubs of any quality or familiarity are never the real thing…but Lord those Dragonball dubs…when I was a kid my dad beat my mother, I’m familiar with that. Do I want that forever? Not at all. Don’t want dubbed anime either. Don’t want Tranzor Z or Warriors of the Wind. Will take Voltron and Battle of the Planets though, as long as I have the OGs. In those cases you almost need both to encompass the entire fandom.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2021, 11:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Z got super lame at the end which was way way too long.

No kidding. The Buu saga was where I realized, I don't actually like this franchise all that much.

I wonder how many of the Z fanboys have actually watched the original - and how they would react to Toriyama's other output, like Dr Slump.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2021, 12:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

A lot of them would love the older stuff as well, but you’re right. By the end Dragon Ball was almost unrecognizable. Almost every fan says it went too long but exactly when they write it off changes. To me the Cell saga ended perfectly.

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]