It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 05:11

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Unaltered Original Star Wars Trilogy on Blu-ray
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 02:16 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Courtesy of the House of Mouse . . .

Exclusive! Original, Unaltered Cut Of Star Wars Trilogy To Be Released On Blu-ray By Disney
Quote:
According to our sources, Disney has plans to release the original cut of the Star Wars trilogy on Blu-ray. Our sources indicate that the project has been under way for quite some time, but it’s been challenging because of some damage to the original negatives they are utilizing. The goal is to release A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of Jedi in their complete, unaltered, original form without the redone special edition SFX.
We shall see . . .

Post subject: Re: Unaltered Original Star Wars Trilogy on Blu-ray
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 05:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I don't have much hope for this given the over-scrubbing Disney has done to their classic animated films. The screencaps of the Cinderella BD still give me cinephilia-related nightmares. :(

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 10:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

There's been rumours like this floating around ever since Disney bought Star Wars but nothing has been confirmed nor denied. My advice would be to not get your hopes up until something official is said.

If the unaltered trilogy was made available on Blu Ray I think it would be interesting to see how it would affect the world of laserdisc collecting as many younger people who didn't own discs or players when they were still being made were drawn to the format because of the promise of the unaltered Star Wars films in the best quality available. I know this is true of myself and I've gone on to enjoy the many other joys of the format. Would we see a sudden drop of younger collectors of the format?

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 14:38 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Maybe its a trap? disney, are in desperation to not wanting to lose any of the fans for episode 7?

Also would this be released with the 70mm six-track mag masters original and not the THX CAV editions as I won't tolerate those mixes with dialogue pans been centered on Jedi. Also I don't trust reviewers who do write ups as the visual side might appear original but will the mix be original to the '77 '80 and '83 cinema release.

Furthermore if there re-mixed in 7.1, I most certainly will not touch them.

We shall see and I'm not hurry for.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 17:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I suspect these will be called the DOUT*, for one reason or another ;)

OTOH**, they're making a big deal of using film and practical effects as much as possible, so there's incentive to get the original versions out there to go along with that bit of the marketing...

(* - Disney's Original Unaltered Trilogy. The DVD release of the unaltered version is called GOUT, for George's Original Unaltered Trilogy)

(** - On The Other Hand)

Last edited by happycube on 17 Aug 2014, 17:26, edited 2 times in total. _________________
Happycube Labs: Where the past is being re-made, today. [meep!]

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 17:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

happycube wrote:
OTOH, they're making a big deal of using film and practical effects as much as possible, so there's incentive to get the original versions out there to go along with that bit of the marketing...

OTOH?

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 17:23 
True fan
True fan

I really doubt that these rumored releases will be totally unaltered, particularly the audio portion. Therefore I will not eh ... can not condone eh ... absolutely refuse um ... to buy these
[Reveal] Spoiler:
on release day.
Who am I kidding, I bought this ridiculous movie everytime it has been trodden out for various "exclusive" reasons on just about every format for goin' forty years. I am weak. :oops: :crazy:

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 17:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

on the other hand?????

DOUT???

I guess i'm getting too old :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 17:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

bguzman wrote:
Who am I kidding, I bought this ridiculous movie everytime it has been trodden out for various "exclusive" reasons on just about every format for goin' forty years. I am weak. :oops: :crazy:

So far Blu Ray is one of the few formats I've not bought Star Wars on. Fingers crossed there'll be a version on Blu Ray worth eventually buying.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 17:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
on the other hand?????

DOUT???

I guess i'm getting too old :lol:

Ah, On The Other Hand makes sense.

The "unaltered" versions of the Trilogy made available on DVD in 2006 are known as GOUT: George's Original Unaltered Trilogy. I'm guessing DOUT would be Disney's Original Unaltered Trilogy. I could see DOUT catching on quite well actually.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 17:46 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

hippiedalek wrote:
bguzman wrote:

So far Blu Ray is one of the few formats I've not bought Star Wars on. Fingers crossed there'll be a version on Blu Ray worth eventually buying.

Or on the other hand, you can shoplift it and have it for FREE. :mrgreen:

Just pick it up at Asda or wherever? Buy some ice-cream that 2liter, open the ice-cream lid up, rip the security label off and stuff the bluray inside.

You'd get to watch it for the cost of £1.99. :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 17:56 
True fan
True fan

hippiedalek wrote:
bguzman wrote:

Have you at least rented the BD? For pure PQ and AQ it is top notch, the best this movie has ever looked at home. He now is putting on his flame retardant suit. ;)

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 17:58 
True fan
True fan

laserbite34 wrote:
hippiedalek wrote:
bguzman wrote:

Or on the other hand, you can shoplift it and have it for FREE. :mrgreen:

Just pick it up at Asda or wherever? Buy some ice-cream that 2liter, open the ice-cream lid up, rip the security label off and stuff the bluray inside.

You'd get to watch it for the cost of £1.99. :lol:

That sound like experience talking. ;)

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 18:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

bguzman wrote:
Have you at least rented the BD? For pure PQ and AQ it is top notch, the best this movie has ever looked at home. He now is putting on his flame retardant suit. ;)

I've thought about renting it for the special features, mainly the deleted scenes, but I've just not got around to it. When it comes to the films themselves I just know that any enjoyment I'd get from the extra picture resolution would be offset by my disgust for the unnecessary changes. The new changes for the blu ray aren't even consistent from shot to shot so introduce new continuity errors.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 19:16 
True fan
True fan

hippiedalek wrote:
bguzman wrote:

I've thought about renting it for the special features, mainly the deleted scenes, but I've just not got around to it. When it comes to the films themselves I just know that any enjoyment I'd get from the extra picture resolution would be offset by my disgust for the unnecessary changes. The new changes for the blu ray aren't even consistent from shot to shot so introduce new continuity errors.

What I really enjoy is all of the things you can see in the background and costumes that are much more detailed and obvious with the extra resolution. I have come to grips with the fact that there is no logical explanation of King George's treatment of these movies and nothing I can do about it since GL never returned my calls. :lolno:

Last edited by bguzman on 18 Aug 2014, 02:08, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Main - CLD-95, LX-1000U W/AC-3 -> Faroudja NR Series -> Display
Backup - LX-900, CLD-D703

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 23:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

They did release the laserdisc cuts on DVD a few years ago - in the same format (letterboxed standard) as the originals. So they do at least acknowledge the existence of this version. It'll be interesting to see the blu-ray version if it happens.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 23:43 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

ffutures wrote:
They did release the laserdisc cuts on DVD a few years ago - in the same format (letterboxed standard) as the originals. So they do at least acknowledge the existence of this version. It'll be interesting to see the blu-ray version if it happens.

Oh yes, the fear of that been released again.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2014, 05:09 
True fan
True fan

The originals were never reissued. On DVD we got a higher-res copy of the master for the 1993 Definitive Collection LD, complete with the godawful motion smearing DVNR of the time.
I doubt this news as there have always been rumors, but don't rule out the possibility of it ever happening.
If a boutique label like Criterion or an Archive label get to do a one-off OT release that would be the only way we might get a true fan release.
Disc 1: 35mm general release with
-1977 Dolby Stereo
-1977 Academy mono
-1985 Home video Dolby remix
Seamlessly branched with the 70mm version and featuring a recreation of the six track Dolby mix in 4.1 or 4.2
Disc 2-35mm ESB with Dolby Stereo, Mono and the 70mm version with its few differences
Disc 3-ROTJ with Dolby Stereo and 70mm track.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2014, 06:05 
True fan
True fan

sdraper wrote:
The originals were never reissued. On DVD we got a higher-res copy of the master for the 1993 Definitive Collection LD, complete with the godawful motion smearing DVNR of the time.
I doubt this news as there have always been rumors, but don't rule out the possibility of it ever happening.
If a boutique label like Criterion or an Archive label get to do a one-off OT release that would be the only way we might get a true fan release.
Disc 1: 35mm general release with
-1977 Dolby Stereo
-1977 Academy mono
-1985 Home video Dolby remix
Seamlessly branched with the 70mm version and featuring a recreation of the six track Dolby mix in 4.1 or 4.2
Disc 2-35mm ESB with Dolby Stereo, Mono and the 70mm version with its few differences
Disc 3-ROTJ with Dolby Stereo and 70mm track.

That would be freakin' awesome, you're hired. :clap: :thumbup: ;)

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2014, 09:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'd love a Blade Runner Final Cut style box set that uses branching to include every version. Purists want the original versions both audio and video, I personally grew up on the Home Video versions so I'd love to have access to the pre-1997 versions with "A New Hope" and the audio mixes that go with it. I know other (unfortunate) people who grew up with the post-1997 versions and that's what they love. Keep everyone happy and release them all I say, but prioritise the original : )

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next