It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:10

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Phillips CDi anyone?
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 21:50 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-i

I was peering at the forum list if optical disc formats and thinking wasn’t there a Phillips optical format system around the 1990’s and I just read small glossary about on the wicki link above!

Apart from video line quality and I know they had some feature films released that was around the same time or thereabouts for some of the PAL laserdisc releases in the UK.

What is about the 8channels ADPCM (Analogue digital pulse code modulation) maybe someone owned the player can give short or lengthy idea on that part of the sound format? It sounds like it had a head-start on SDDS8channel as that didn’t come out till 1993, and CDi started early 90’s, 1991.

I know the format didn’t get well received and laserdisc was still the king of the hill at the time. I only heard or read the quality of movies wasn’t great. The player requires a cartridge to play them.
I recall seeing films like STAR TREK VI in magazines, in CDi.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Phillips CDi anyone?
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 22:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

laserbite34 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-i

I was peering at the forum list if optical disc formats and thinking wasn’t there a Phillips optical format system around the 1990’s and I just read small glossary about on the wicki link above!

Apart from video line quality and I know they had some feature films released that was around the same time or thereabouts for some of the PAL laserdisc releases in the UK.

What is about the 8channels ADPCM (Analogue digital pulse code modulation) maybe someone owned the player can give short or lengthy idea on that part of the sound format?

I know the format didn’t get well received and laserdisc was still the king of the hill at the time. I only heard or read the quality of movies wasn’t great. The player requires a cartridge to play them.
I recall seeing films like STAR TREK VI in magazines, in CDi.

Cheers

It's really underwhelming platform. They intended it to replace your video game system and VCR (at least as far as watching movies go) but it performed far less than stellar on both fronts. The games were mostly FMV and the CD-I movies used MPEG-1 compression--which was basically their proprietary VCD format (meaning CD-I movies aren't playable on other VCD capable players.)

The 8 channel ADPCM sound capabilities referred to how the system would process sound for video games if the video games didn't use Redbook CD audio. The Super Nintendo also has 8 channel ADPCM 16-bit sound for comparison. So it could reproduce good compressed/programmed video game sound, basically.

Didn't really use that for anything else really, since VCD/CD-I movies used MPEG-1 compression for sound, which maxes out at 224 kbps.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 22:12 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

elahrairrah wrote:

It's really underwhelming platform. They intended it to replace your video game system and VCR (at least as far as watching movies go) but it performed far less than stellar on both fronts. The games were mostly FMV and the CD-I movies used MPEG-1 compression--which was basically their proprietary VCD format (meaning CD-I movies aren't playable on other VCD capable players.)

The 8 channel ADPCM sound capabilities referred to how the system would process sound for video games if the video games didn't use Redbook CD audio. The Super Nintendo also has 8 channel ADPCM 16-bit sound for comparison. So it could reproduce good compressed/programmed video game sound, basically.

Didn't really use that for anything else really, since VCD/CD-I movies used MPEG-1 compression for sound, which maxes out at 224 kbps.

Oh I see that has helped, I was beginning to think it was an 8channel discrete 7.1 LOL. Yes that cleared that part up.

Cheers I have no more to say on the matter.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 22:30 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

had it and only kept a Zelda Wand of Gamelon or something. It could have been better but it was cool just not as cool as Saturn or PS1 or even Sega CD at least to me

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 22:42 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I have a lot of movies and 'games' for this system (it was pretty big here in The Netherlands). Only a few of the movies are in the CD-I format, later they changed it to VCD format because it was playable on more systems. Also the default system didn't play these movies - you had to buy a expensive cartridge to play the movies and play games like Mad Dog McCree, Thunder In Paradise (yes with Hulk Hogan) and Space Ace.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 02:09 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Oh right so I guess you guys rather liked it I only saw the player along with a limited selection of titles games and films in store called once called, MVC Music Video Centre I think? They also stocked a long, long laserdisc NTSC selection that had me drooling over some titles that I would like to have brought like Apocalypse Now.

But then again there was this, Philips CDi and I was curious about it. The store I’m surprised they didn't on demo play to show to consumers like they did in some other stores with showing a laserdisc player working for sceptical consumers?

I made my choice with laserdisc a few years after CDi came out as I started laserdisc 1993. I was worried at the time, if it would take over but, hey only few more years down the too really start PANICKING with DVD.

So was CDi trying to take over or was there no threat with CDI It went just as DVD came in and then we saw laserdisc starting to lose the struggle, when it had large catalogue of titles.

I don’t guys, I’m just puzzled at times.

I Just did a simple search on eBay and one is going for £30.00 WOW that’s cheap good price, expect its faulty so make spare parts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Faulty-PHILIP ... 5891466f10

I see another CDi item going for £74.99 (buy it now)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-CDI-C ... 519c56e58d

Under the rest of the listing for USeBay plenty more at reasoble buy now price, no fighting over it bidding so to speak.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... Categories

I see this model and looking at the back, huh so its component video source I don’t see any RGB or scart, I see an S-Video
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-CDi-2 ... 53ea618039

ios wrote:
had it and only kept a Zelda Wand of Gamelon or something. It could have been better but it was cool just not as cool as Saturn or PS1 or even Sega CD at least to me

Is Saga even still around sorry If sound like I’ve been living under a rock. I’ve heard of Sony PS so there was PS1 I know they did PS2 and PS3 as my mate as PS3. He likes it. :D No just give me download free, Asteroids and I’ll be a happy camper. :D

kaosnews wrote:
I have a lot of movies and 'games' for this system (it was pretty big here in The Netherlands). Only a few of the movies are in the CD-I format, later they changed it to VCD format because it was playable on more systems. Also the default system didn't play these movies - you had to buy a expensive cartridge to play the movies and play games like Mad Dog McCree, Thunder In Paradise (yes with Hulk Hogan) and Space Ace.

Yes isn’t Phillips headquarters based in your county. They have plants in the UK now although come to think of it, I must be living under a rock, I’m just getting senile, in my age. LOL

Was that cartridge easy manageable without issues like we get with bluray this firmware and that firmware update, to make the film play!

At first you think you brought a brand new in the box faulty paperweight player! LOL My first bluray died within less than 12 months and good think as Phillips was grand with customer services support to resoling a one out of so many, and gave me new player that had 6channel RCA outputs I was pleased with that outcome.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 07:18 
Serious fan
Serious fan

laserbite34 wrote:
Was that cartridge easy manageable without issues like we get with bluray this firmware and that firmware update, to make the film play!

I might be talking complete BS in here, it's been a long time since I've seen those machines last time, but IIRC it was plain MPEG decoder expansion card without any need to meddle with software, just plug 'n' play.

VCD player for Playstation 1 I mentioned in VCD thread is a bit different beast, it's rather huge external cartridge with additional video outputs and physical switch to select between PS1 and VCD modes: I'd guess it either overrides original hardware quite heavily or use some kind of bank switching to replace internal operating system and bootloader. Dunno if it's compatible with CDi movies, gotta try to dig up the manual just out of curiosity.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 08:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

kaosnews wrote:
Only a few of the movies are in the CD-I format, later they changed it to VCD format because it was playable on more systems.

I remember once seeing Highlander 3 The Sorcerer on CD-i, does anyone know if it is compatible with normal VCD players? I reckon it will have been released sometime in 1993 or after.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 10:38 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

laserbite34 wrote:
Yes isn’t Phillips headquarters based in your county. They have plants in the UK now although come to think of it, I must be living under a rock, I’m just getting senile, in my age. LOL

Yep, it's a dutch company and the CD-I and the software/movies sold in every big shop here in The Netherlands.

romppainen wrote:
I might be talking complete BS in here, it's been a long time since I've seen those machines last time, but IIRC it was plain MPEG decoder expansion card without any need to meddle with software, just plug 'n' play.

That's correct - it was a simple MPEG decoder expansion card. Most second hand CD-I players you buy have this expansion card because it was rather essential to have. The software was.. well bad so most people use the CD-I player as a VCD player and bought this expansion card. I think the 'newer' version of the CD-I players allready had this MPEG Decoder card.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 16:16 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

romppainen wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:

VCD player for Playstation 1 I mentioned in VCD thread is a bit different beast, it's rather huge external cartridge with additional video outputs and physical switch to select between PS1 and VCD modes: I'd guess it either overrides original hardware quite heavily or use some kind of bank switching to replace internal operating system and bootloader. Dunno if it's compatible with CDi movies, gotta try to dig up the manual just out of curiosity.

Reading what you said, I hear you. Its like today they cram all this hardware down on to tiny little micro processing learning chip.

I guess the cartridge module is the size of CD-Rom drive for PC tower?

It’s too bad the CDi didn’t get under my skin as Lasedisc did within less than a few minutes of seeing it a shop.

Well glad you enjoyed the format, and nice to read what you can remember about it, even if its vintage-collector’s item today.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 16:19 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

kaosnews

I wasn’t sure if I was right or wrong I took a guess. :D

Also guys correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t the titles of movies Panned & Scanned?
I recall also seeing ads for Top Gun on CDi as well.

I might have an ad in home cinema magazine as I stopped collecting/buying home UK and US cinema mags years ago and I only use them now reading reference.

I’ll flip though the UK ones and see if I can find the ad and take picture unless someone can find one before me and post it, it would save me hours looking though hundreds of mags LOL

I might have full artical on the product?

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 16:36 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Philips actually ran infomercials late at night pitching the CD-I . . .

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

And here's the onliy commercial I've ever seen for a game for the CD-I

Burn Cycle Commercial

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 17:55 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Here are some other games:

7th Guest - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg4nEgzW46g
Hotel Mario - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8WkxUjTBIw
Mad Dog McCree - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39ZiEzAILnM

Electronic Arts about Philips CD-I - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlZ5DdAGoaM

If you really want to know everything about CD-I look at this site: http://www.icdia.co.uk/

If you want to see some pics of the MPEG expansion - http://www.cdiemu.org/ (click on hardware)

Last edited by kaosnews on 21 Dec 2011, 18:07, edited 1 time in total. _________________
My Collection
Movie Database - WIP :)

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 18:03 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

elahrairrah

Nice find its better than looking though some 100 magazines of late 90’s early 2000 and few mid 90’s but I need to look back further but this video says it all.

I still have another 100 or so mags to look though and my eyes have gone almost cross-eyed.

Video1

What’s this called?
Vogue!
Sound very racy?
Its not for kids Phil.
LMAO :lol:

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2022, 20:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Even "The Secret of NIMH" got a CD-i release, and both discs have the same length as both sides of the CLV LD.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2022, 16:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

CDi was absolutely woeful. I remember someone lending me their console and a handful of 'games' when it was first released. It was very underwhelming, even back then.

7th Guest I recall was supposed to be the showcase title I think. It was just a bunch of FMV and nothing else. I got bored with it instantly.

International Tennis Open was alright for it's time, but looking back now it really is a pile of old pants. Rise of the Robots was just pure excrement. Burn Cycle was average. There was another game as well. I forget it's name. I think it was space themed and had live actors in it. I 'think' it was decision based play, like Dragon's Lair, but the game wasn't presented that way. I 'think' it was more like SEGA's hologram game Time Traveller perhaps? I forget now, it was a long time ago. Anyway, it was poo too. :lol:

Horrible machine. Leave it in the past where it belongs.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2022, 01:14 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I own two different models of CDI, but no games. For whatever reason the systems turned up for me without software and they were always rare here. Did find two CD-i movies though, one of which states it is a VCD.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2022, 14:32 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Since we're talking about CD-i, here's an interesting video on the development of the ill-fated and oft-ridiculed Legend of Zelda games for the system:

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2022, 07:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tweeg wrote:
I own two different models of CDI, but no games. For whatever reason the systems turned up for me without software and they were always rare here. Did find two CD-i movies though, one of which states it is a VCD.

I always wanted to get into CD-i but the stupid clock battery put me off from doing so.

I'm more interested in the oddball multimedia titles. Proper gamepads for the system are hideously expensive in the aftermarket anyway.

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]