It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 02:06

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who here likes vinyl ?
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 15:04 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

signofzeta wrote:
Part of the appeal of 12" singles was that you could get INSANE amplitude. The combination of 45rpm (in the UK anyway) and more physical space than you'd ever need for something less than six minutes meant you could have grooves that were like...I don't know, 1mm or more? Amplitude city.

Crazy thing is, that "Oh Louise" Maxi Single is 33 1/3.

Though I do have some 45rpm Maxis. One of my favorite is "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man" by Prince. I never knew an extended mix existed of that tune!

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 18:54 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Even at 33.3, having all that room reserved for one track is a big advantage.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 23:48 
True fan
True fan

Agreed. I've never much liked 7"es other than the greater fidelity of 45rpm. But the 12" UK 45rpm singles are my favorite music format period and what I try for for any song I truly adore.

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 15:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

After saying some money, I bought a new cartridge for my turntable.

It is a 600 $ cartridge from Ortofon called 2M Black. The quality is truly fantastic compared to my old cartridge.
I am not rich but I like saving my money for reasonable projects such as getting a nice turntable setup and it was
worth every penny.

It sounds crystal clear, unbelievable.

PostPosted: 29 May 2016, 23:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Vinyl,

Yes I admit that one is considering returning to this fine format in the coming months.

My thoughts are towards something high end, however such a commitment is not to be rushed...... Michelle Gyro with a SME arm or a Pro-ject Signature 12'' arm and reasonable cartridge.

I shall glaze over with joy when this happens however, a high quality Stereo Amp and phono stage has also to be considered as a complete package......... along with Spendor Speakers A5 love the sound from these.........

Thank you for the subject Guys, and for your rich viewpoint and comments.

Seeing your setups is inspiring.

Kindest Regards

:thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2016, 05:13 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I pulled out my modest turntable to digitize the maxi single of Prince's "U Got the Look" recently so I could listen to it in my car.

Here's an mp3 of this rare track if anyone's interested:

http://rg.to/file/11dabb6fdb2255c419ec9 ... _(Extended).mp3.html

PostPosted: 03 May 2022, 22:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My small vinyl collection is a bit odd. Check the link to my blog in my signature for some examples.

However, I did read today that The Sex Pistols are re-releasing God Save The Queen on May 27th 2022. I went to pre-order it but every copy has been scalped to death by bots already.

Only option now is to pay the €24,000 on Discogs for the copy of the original 7" for sale there. Probably works out cheaper than what the scalpers are going to be charging for the 2022 edition.

Limited edition stuff gets on my nerves. It's now just glorified merchandise. Unlike that €24,000 7" on Discogs which really is limited edition because only 9 copies of the AM pressing exist after the record label destroyed the rest of them in 1977.

I might mint this post as an NFT. :silent:

https://store.sexpistolsofficial.com

PostPosted: 04 May 2022, 15:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If you did mint your post then you could buy the 2022 copies and all 9 original pressings :lol:

PostPosted: 04 May 2022, 18:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'd love the original AM 7" but 24 big 'uns is crazy. Only 1 of 9 known copies anyway. No idea who owns the rest, I would hazard a long shot that Lydon might?

I watched their Wonderland concert earlier (the final gig they ever played). Holy moly what a mess. Not sure which was worse, the performance or the state of Sid's badly taped up arm to hide the ravaged landscape of needle marks.

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/one-of ... n-discogs/

Scalpers already at work. Sickening.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255519541569

PostPosted: 04 May 2022, 19:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Sex Pistols suck. I wouldn’t pay ten cents for anything any of them did…except that one episode of Judge Judy that Johnny Rotten was on.

A murderer, two guys who’d rather be in Status Quo and a guy who loves doing commercials. What a pile…

PostPosted: 04 May 2022, 23:40 
True fan
True fan

My little sister does. I could not be bothered. Way, way to primitive

PostPosted: 12 May 2022, 18:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I did recently overhaul my brother's vintage JVC, L-A10 belt drive turntable that he gave me w/ the expectation I might start getting into vinyl. But after replacing the belt (+coated the belt in talcum powder to fix a speed issue), upgrading the cardtridge (went from an ancient Empire LTD-200 to an Audio Technica AT-VM95E), and setting up a platform for it to add more resistance to vibration; I sort of lost interest.

I guess I grew up a CD guy and I really feel it is still the better format hands down. Not to mention, vinyl is now more expensive than CD and used CD's in general are the best bargains out there right now.

PostPosted: 12 May 2022, 19:06 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Don't remember what I've posted in the past but a major issue of getting into vinyl now is the condition factor, grading is all subjective
and you can get really burned hard and fast.
Its not like it used to be where you had 2 options to buy, record store or record store new or used and you could see in person.

Also a lot of very early CDs use the same tape masters so who cares if you go back to the tape master 20-40 years later, CD was going back to the masters
only 10-20 year old at the time so there is less digital messing with on the transfers.

CHEAP, man are CDs cheap now, one thrift is selling them 5 for a buck once a week, so you can just get as many as you want.
A lot of these old classical recordings are direct from vinyl to CD even official so I don't know how much better you can get them.
Some are from tape masters or even DDD masters so you can't really muck them up much.

Whats the sense of doing ADA for new vinyl, get digital out of the equation and do an AAA analog master, analog remaster to analog vinyl, anything else with
new LPs is just a joke and one isn't getting what they should be getting if that's analog that you are truly wanting.

PostPosted: 12 May 2022, 20:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I agree. CD is a buyers market. If I were a speculating collectard I would be seriously hoarding the stuff.

I still buy both, both are great for different things.

Last edited by signofzeta on 12 May 2022, 21:04, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

PostPosted: 12 May 2022, 20:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
Don't remember what I've posted in the past but a major issue of getting into vinyl now is the condition factor, grading is all subjective
and you can get really burned hard and fast.
Its not like it used to be where you had 2 options to buy, record store or record store new or used and you could see in person.

Also a lot of very early CDs use the same tape masters so who cares if you go back to the tape master 20-40 years later, CD was going back to the masters
only 10-20 year old at the time so there is less digital messing with on the transfers.

CHEAP, man are CDs cheap now, one thrift is selling them 5 for a buck once a week, so you can just get as many as you want.
A lot of these old classical recordings are direct from vinyl to CD even official so I don't know how much better you can get them.
Some are from tape masters or even DDD masters so you can't really muck them up much.

Whats the sense of doing ADA for new vinyl, get digital out of the equation and do an AAA analog master, analog remaster to analog vinyl, anything else with
new LPs is just a joke and one isn't getting what they should be getting if that's analog that you are truly wanting.

I personally don’t care if a record had a %100 analog journey from original recording to final pressing. I don’t know why you and other people keep bringing that up. It’s not really possible with a new release unless bands go back to saving up for studio time and recording everything on rare as hell consoles no longer made. It…just doesn’t matter. It’s nice, I guess, a direct to disc recording, an all analog master, but I can’t hear it so I don’t care. Wax has way too much distortion to hear aliasing from digital formats anyway and even if it wasn’t the master is probably 24-bit 96khz anyway which, even in a high end player, is beyond my ears quality-wise.

Verdict: straw man argument. Buy records for the engagement, the physicality, the art, whatever. Just don’t be silly enough to think it’s some uberformat if you only had such and such gear…even million dollar systems have the same pops, the hiss, the grimy “s”s, etc. It’s from the 40s, it does that. And don’t buy them just to frame. That’s what posters are for.

PostPosted: 12 May 2022, 20:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Bring it up because collectards want vinyl for the warmth, when you have an analog master that has been digitized to death its now digital
no mater what format you put it on and it really doesn't warrant a 25-100 value for a brand new LP from wallyworld.

You want a first or early pressing of a beatles vinyl or same time period OK you think its warm sounding OK
but you buy the 1000th repressing from walmart and think its just as good and warm then you need more help than anybody can give you.

PostPosted: 12 May 2022, 21:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Ha! Please. You can’t even define “warmth” so I don’t think you’re in a position to tell anyone what the technical requirements are. Also please define “digitized to death” and explain why something is digital forever even if I put it on a wax cylinder or a PXL2000 tape. I’d love to hear the explanation.

And, you may not realize this, but there is more to life than Abby Road and Back in Black. The majority of the records I buy new are new releases of new material. There is no $5, 40 year old version of the latest Yes album. When it comes to vintage stuff I always prefer original releases but often buy remasters and most of the time they sound better to me because they are louder and require less from my amp. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

PostPosted: 13 May 2022, 00:51 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You brought up Yes..........

PostPosted: 13 May 2022, 05:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Maybe I shouldn’t have brought up my turntable :shh: 8-)

PostPosted: 13 May 2022, 14:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
You brought up Yes..........

Is that a drinking game now?

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next