It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:37

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: EIZO 4K HDR video editing monitor as reference display?
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2021, 14:53 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hello fellow fans, I am the new owner of a Sony X1100ES UDP.

I had it working well on my 20 year old CRT and it looks great but I still don't know what 4K UHD actually looks like. I have some scenery UHDs with HDR I would adore to watch properly.

I have a small space for a new TV and was wondering how a video editing monitor would do for 4K? I would love a Sony Trimaster but it is, shall we say, "waaay" out of my price range. :lolno:

I wondered if something like this would give me the best picture possible in my price range:

EIZOダイレクト|CS2740-X: カラーマネージメントモニター ColorEdge
https://direct.eizo.co.jp/shop/g/gCS2740-X/

Also Eizo do not sell the X model outside Japan(!) it is THE only 27 inch with HDR and 4K. I was thinking of importing one however the voltage listed on the site is 100v?? (I am in Australia, 240v) and would not really want to use a transformer with it. I thought essentially a computer monitor would be multi-voltage these days? Not Eizo?

I had tried asking this on AVS Forums but I know that the true Video Guys are here, on LaserDisc Database. Thank you if you have any advice, thoughts or help, fellow fans. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: EIZO 4K HDR video editing monitor as reference display?
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2021, 09:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Most japanese equipment is 100v, and if you don't want to use a transformer with it, you cannot use it at all.
Note that 27" is tiny, already too tiny for 1080p, and I'm not sure if you will really see the greatness of 4k on such a tiny screen.
Also another thing comes to mind... most EIZO screens are 60Hz only. How about this one?
While I am a big fan of EIZO (and have used several of their monitors as computer screens) I am not sure this will be the screen
that you really want for the purpose of 4k HDR UHD viewing.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2021, 13:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You don’t get the “best picture possible” from editing monitors. I don’t have any flat panel pro monitors but in the CRT days that was definitely the case. Pro monitors are made to show exactly what’s on the tape, usually at home you want more than that.

You absolutely need a transformer in AU for JP gear unless the display itself has a external PSU that can be replaced with a 220V one.

I disagree that you can’t see 4K on a 27” screen. I can EASILY see the difference between 1080p and 4K on my iPhone. Get real.

In general though I think this isn’t enough TV for $3000+.

Last edited by signofzeta on 08 Oct 2021, 15:37, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2021, 21:06 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I can see the difference between 1080p and 4K on my Apple Watch.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2021, 22:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I wasn’t aware that was possible.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2021, 02:15 
Site Admin
Site Admin

substance wrote:
I can see the difference between 1080p and 4K on my Apple Watch.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess even eyes closed? You can FEEL the difference?

Julien

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2021, 02:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

pobodys_nerfect wrote:
I was thinking of importing one however the voltage listed on the site is 100v?? (I am in Australia, 240v) and would not really want to use a transformer with it. I thought essentially a computer monitor would be multi-voltage these days? Not Eizo?

This is the best one, if you want to have electronics gear you really need to get over this one.

On another note I think it was Nissling and someone else who had pro monitors and made a topic, may want to check that posting out.

You could also get an electrician to run a special line for that 100v in your house.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2021, 17:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

4K 27"?

Honestly. it really does seem pointless unless you want to watch through a magnifying glass. But full disclosure I'm still stuck in 2k.

And your 100V aversion? Frankly get over it, it really isn't an issue. If you decide on any JP equipment to be what you need, then that should be the end of it. 100V conversion is so simple, and even offers you (isolation transformers) aspects of fancy "power conditioning systems". Have multiple 100V toroidal isolation transformers in this house...

Last edited by audioboyz1973 on 06 Oct 2021, 12:36, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Looking for Hi-Vision Discs (MUSE or HDVS).......

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2021, 18:21 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I could say this in threads all over the internet until I die, but whether a resolution jump matters depends on 1) the source, 2) the size of the screen, 3) the distance between the screen and your eyes, and 4) your eyes. My laptop has a 4K screen, but just because I can tell when something on it is running in 1080p doesn't mean that everyone can.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 08:23 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Oh boy, thank you for the replies dudes.

Is 350 nits bad? That's what this monitor apparently displays for HDR..

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2021, 07:00 
Serious fan
Serious fan

pobodys_nerfect wrote:

The short answer is that it'll be better than SDR but sub-par for HDR. You're looking at equipment that's geared for (and priced for) professionals, not movie-watchers. Lower peak brightness means lower possible dynamic range, which is the point of the format, and sure enough the advertised 1,000:1 contrast ratio for this display would count as mediocre for an HDR consumer TV.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2021, 10:05 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rcarlson wrote:
pobodys_nerfect wrote:

The short answer is that it'll be better than SDR but sub-par for HDR. You're looking at equipment that's geared for (and priced for) professionals, not movie-watchers. Lower peak brightness means lower possible dynamic range, which is the point of the format, and sure enough the advertised 1,000:1 contrast ratio for this display would count as mediocre for an HDR consumer TV.

Thank you, fellow fan! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2021, 13:09 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Oh just watched this and AS USUAL. SONY IS THE TRUTH AND THE ANSWER TO ALL OUR DREAMS> JUST GOTTA SAVE MORE BUCKS> THANK YOU FANS!

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2021, 13:19 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I dunno homeboys. Sitting in my office, on my Aeron, with some 17 yo single malt whiskey, watching this display would seem to be superior to watching the best buy 7000 inch version on ikea. Jus' verbalisin'. Yo.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2021, 13:40 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

LG closer to the Sony dream than Sony is?

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2021, 14:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rcarlson wrote:
I could say this in threads all over the internet until I die, but whether a resolution jump matters depends on 1) the source, 2) the size of the screen, 3) the distance between the screen and your eyes, and 4) your eyes. My laptop has a 4K screen, but just because I can tell when something on it is running in 1080p doesn't mean that everyone can.

Indeed.

When iPhones moves from the original res to “retina” (4x as many pixels) the difference was absolutely massive, and this was with the original 3.5 screen and individual pixel elements that are invisible (actually) without a magnifying glass.

A 27” monitor is several times the size, you’d have to be blind not to see the difference…unless you’re sitting fifty feet away from it like you do with a 70”. Is that what some are you imagining? That the OP is sitting on the opposite wall of a 1000 square foot room squinting at a TV so far away he can’t read subtitles? That’s probably not the situation, I think.

My iMac is 4K and only 21.5” and for photography purposes, moving to that screen was the biggest upgrade since I bought an SLR. It’s night and day. You don’t need to zoom your pictures when editing anymore because they are almost native res now.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2021, 19:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

HDR on PC monitors are really many steps below what you can expect from higher end TV sets. If you're not doing HDR grades, then I cannot really see the point in using an HDR monitor to begin with. If you're serious with it but on a budget, I honestly rather suggest getting a higher end Panasonic OLED like the JZ2000 if it's available for you. Those offer accurate tone mapping with high brightness and fantastic color reproduction. It's most certainly a good option if you're not a professional. In that case your only real options are the Sony BVM-X300, HX310 and Dolby Pulsar.

As for resolution however, there is little to no reason to not go for 4K today when buying a monitor. With a higher PPI, text can be scaled much more easily and still appear sharp without the pixel structure looking like a stairway. I'm using an Eizo EV3285 for my PC as well as Mac and it's magnificent. Iupgraded from a CRT (GDM-FW900) and beside black levels and multisync, there's nothing I miss from it. Easily one of my best purchases in a long time.

Only real reason to opt for a lower resolution imho is if you're into esports and need the highest possible refresh rate.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2021, 09:42 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

signofzeta wrote:

Indeed.

When iPhones moves from the original res to “retina” (4x as many pixels) the difference was absolutely massive, and this was with the original 3.5 screen and individual pixel elements that are invisible (actually) without a magnifying glass.

indubitibly.

yeah like pixel density ain't no thing :roll: HA

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2021, 09:44 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

nissling wrote:
I honestly rather suggest getting a higher end Panasonic OLED like the JZ2000 if it's available for you. .

hmm. Perhaps you didn't peruse my original posting?

I have but a small home office to fill, with limited desk space.

Has anyone a suggestion of the smallest HDR consumer television available?

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2023, 22:38 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I've had the opportunity to use an EIZO monitor for video editing, and the difference it made in my 4K HDR projects was substantial. EIZO monitors' colour accuracy and clarity are crucial for high-definition video editing.

Alongside quality hardware, having the right editing software is equally important. While searching for a versatile yet affordable video editing tool, I found Movavi, a great free MP4 editor. My experience with Movavi has been very positive. It offers a wide range of editing features, catering to beginners and professionals. The user-friendly software makes tasks like cropping, rotating, and trimming videos straightforward and efficient. Combining a high-quality monitor like EIZO and an accessible, feature-rich software like Movavi can significantly elevate the quality of your video editing projects.

Last edited by matspettersson on 22 Nov 2023, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next