It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 02:40

Page 26 of 28 [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last Product you bought? (Except Laserdisc)
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2019, 23:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
I blocked Forper so I can’t read his reply but I was going to say something about how sometimes even Forper is a better example of self-actualization than some of you guys sometimes. I forgot to add in though.

How many people on this forum can change a flat tire? Or paint a garage? Or produce some kind of self portrait? I’d assume many can’t since waterslide decals don’t rate on a scale of difficulty against those common tasks that my 66 year old mother can do no problem.

I'm pretty sure tasuke's problem isn't the inability to put them on, but their fragility once dry. Which I can attest to as I swear none of my childhood model kits have their freakin' decals left. Hence I recommended covering them with a clear coat.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2019, 00:16 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Yes, there are dozens of products aimed at decal application. They even make stuff specifically for people who don’t really build the model like you guys. The most complete way is usually to use something that makes the decal softer and then a fixer when it’s dry. You could just clear coat over it though if you aren’t painting anything else and since they are 1/10 the thickness of paper they’ll blend it a million times better than a sticker.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2019, 00:42 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I can.

I remember at my first job the one co-worker had a flat and her boyfriend couldn't get the bolts off since he had the car up in the air first and the wheel was
spinning around on him :lol:

I have done minor to major construction and painting my whole life, wish I were rich so I could hire others to do the work.

I haven't tried portrait painting as of yet but I am a painter/artist and have actually sold a painting of mine.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2019, 02:12 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

The problem with being able to afford to pay other people to do the work is that they f it up about %65 of the time from my experience.

I paid a mechanic to do a trans oil change only because I don’t have a DSG machine (it’s a VW thing). My girlfriend and our kid left the shop and drove to the store, when they got back to the car it was totally dead. The mechanic had left the battery cable extremely loose and it bounced off.

The company that drills my well and does some plumbing for us screws something up every time but they are the best place around.

The electrician broke something, etc. I’d be glad to do all the work myself but I’d have to quit my job...it’s very cyclical.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2019, 03:10 
True fan
True fan

Even if they don't make mistakes and break something etc, the thing that usually happens is that whatever job it was hasn't been done to your satisfaction in some way. Like tradespeople doing a job "properly" but not cleaning up after themselves, leaving you to deal with the mess. It's unprofessional, but a lot of people don't give a s**t as everything is driven by quotas. Quantity over quality.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2019, 03:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

deadlegion wrote:
Even if they don't make mistakes and break something etc, the thing that usually happens is that whatever job it was hasn't been done to your satisfaction in some way. Like tradespeople doing a job "properly" but not cleaning up after themselves, leaving you to deal with the mess. It's unprofessional, but a lot of people don't give a s**t as everything is driven by quotas. Quantity over quality.

My step-dad (rip he was a good father) got fired essentially due to just that last part of your post. They used a fancy term but fired him. Claimed they called at some point to call him back in months later but it never occurred. He took great pride in his work as a repair tech. He always had the fewest call backs for additional work. In fact that almost never happened. Of course that was probably a detriment. Just do it fast and shittily to get the call back to make more money... Backwards world sometimes...

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2019, 05:05 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

That’s kinda how I was as a dealership mechanic. Often times no comebacks in two months or more but in the end I refused to sell the snake oil and now I work in a automotive engineering lab where they actually have to pay you like regular people. Now I have all the time in the world to fix a problem because if I don’t nobody else can.

In all honestly I’d way rather be helping out people in busted cars than helping to develop new ones but the mechanic thing is just a total screw job in the US. You have to be really lucky to land a job at the one honest place in your state that actually turns enough business to pay you or become a thief.

The economic realities of what it means to own a dealership determine what it means to work at one. Basically, some guy had a few mil and didn’t want to ever work to keep it so he bought a dealership and he didn’t do that just so you bloodsuckers could make a living off him. Mechanics are specifically exempt from the federal minimum wage act so you pay them book rate. If the all knowing book says the job takes an hour that’s what you get paid. If no work comes in, you get paid nothing. If 40 hours of work a week come in but the boss hired four mechanics to reduce wait time you get ten hours. If you feel like going home early because there are three guys here and the only appointment is an oil change in three hours, you have to stay for that or be fired. An oil change pays 0.25 of an hour. If you don’t make enough money to pay your half of your health insurance then you get a bill instead of a check. Comebacks are fixed for free. You need at least two years of school and $2000 worth of your own tools as well as a license for this.

Salesman work by commission so it’s steal or starve. The metrics are set by scumbags who sell people expensive crap they don’t need so if you decide to just sell Fits and Civics then you won’t make enough money to live on.

Everyone else there makes near minimum wage so that means they are on food stamps, in other words he half pays those employees and the government takes up the difference.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2019, 14:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
Yes, there are dozens of products aimed at decal application...

MICRO SOL products, for starters. i have both Red and Blue treatments and have used them many times before.
they are essential for optimum adhesion and appearance, especially with older decal sets.

in sum, i CAN, and HAVE, successfully applied Waterslides.
i just do not happen to especially enjoy the vagaries of how they tend to generally roll...

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2019, 16:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Another package from the same guy as before. Everything except Ninja Gaiden, PB4 and the TV show are from him. DK64 and the GB game were tossed in as total freebies apparently, I can't complain.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2019, 11:48 
True fan
True fan

Went to pop my Dark Souls III GotY disc into my Xbone to check what update download size it needs, Underneath the game disc is a soundtracks disc :o
Must've been swapped in from a pre-order or collector's set by accident I guess.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2019, 06:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tasuke wrote:
in sum, i CAN, and HAVE, successfully applied Waterslides.
i just do not happen to especially enjoy the vagaries of how they tend to generally roll...

Same - obviously I can do them since I did them as a kid, I just hate doing it.

Unlike a friend of mine back then who apparently had no idea how those things worked. He glued the things right onto the model, backing cardboard and all!

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2019, 08:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well I'm better than your friend as used to apply them as a kid for display kts but last summer I built a ton of 1/285th helicopters for wargaming (a lot of handling) and the decals were a disaster. I then learnt about softner and fixer products which I'll use when I get around to trying to salvage them. 1/285th USMC markings aren't cheap neither...

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2019, 10:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I recall he once built the same kit I had but the decals weren't the only thing he'd screwed up, the whole thing was covered in super glue stains as well.

To keep the thread on some semblance of track, I also got a lot of 90's toys from Mandarake, some Star Wars ones, some Star Trek ones, and Legends of Batman Catwoman. The Star Trek ones didn't turn out so well, I was going to start collecting TNG figures as well but the Picard and Riker I got turned out to be in the much larger 6 inch scale (they were supposed to be around 4.5") so I had no use for them and sold them immediately. The only other Trek toys I got in the lot were Troi and the Enterprise bridge playset which came in a freakin' huge box, but I just stuck it in the cupboard unopened because I have no space to display it and it doesn't make a lot of sense to make the space when I've only one figure to actually display in it, too.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019, 16:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

All the Dreamcast and Turbo stuff was from that guy again, the rest was other random eBay buys and trades.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019, 02:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Nice picks. Never heard of TurboExpress before. I'm guessing that's some kinda portable TurboGrafx 16?

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019, 02:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Nice picks. Never heard of TurboExpress before. I'm guessing that's some kinda portable TurboGrafx 16?

Correct. It will have to be repaired because they used crappy caps. It's something I never expected to own due to what it goes for typically.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019, 20:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I don't remember but that TE was also released in Japan or was it just like the Nomad just in the US.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019, 20:17 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

xtempo wrote:
I don't remember but that TE was also released in Japan or was it just like the Nomad just in the US.

In Japan it was called the PC Engine GT.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2019, 07:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Greetings all,

Since my Last visit here I have purchased the following;

3 x Relaxing Journey & escapism Music CD's : 1 Tom Eaton = How it Happened / 2 Ecostatic = Album: Serpentines & Valleys / 3 Robert Rich = Album: Tactile Ground (Feel free to listen on You tube video's

1 x Blu-ray Independence day 2.
1 x 4K Blu-Ray Infinity War endgame.

Just trying my best to save for the next few months

Oh and a Dear Friend Undeservedly helped me out by giving me this Laptop a Lenovo notebook..... I am truly grateful to him.

Kindest Regards to everyone

:thumbup: :wave:

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2019, 12:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I bought a bunch of Trek figures to go with this but Picard and Riker turned out to be in an entirely different scale so they were useless, and with only Troi there didn't seem much point in opening this.

I kind of want to do an unboxing video but I'd need a better camera for that.

Page 26 of 28 [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next