It is currently 13 Aug 2020, 09:03

Page 58 of 60 [ 1199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last Product you bought? (Except Laserdisc)
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2020, 20:03 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Got three VHS and one DVD on the way from eBay:

DVD:
Amadeus - I hate most of the added footage in the "Director's Cut" versions that seem to be all that's available anymore, so I decided to order one of the older school DVD versions.

VHS:
Dirty Dancing - one of my all time favorite movies
Empire Strikes Back (1984, I believe) - another one of my all time favorite movies
Star Trek: TOS "The Menagerie" - the first of what I expect will be a TOS tape collection. The modern remastered editions are gorgeous and easily accessible. But they're not the version of the show I grew up on in the 70s and 80s.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2020, 20:31 
Honest fan
Honest fan

noehat wrote:
spyrogyro wrote:
And I managed to get that Beta VCR fully working. Sorted out the belts, cleaned the video heads and other contact points, oiled a couple of noisy idlers, fixed up a stuck back-tension lever and adjusted the AFC on the chroma board to restore color to the image.

Fantastic work! What are you watching first on it?

The tape I had at hand was for Welcome To Blood City. Quite an odd sci-fi/western hybrid, from the late '70's.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2020, 20:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

noehat wrote:

DVD:
Amadeus - I hate most of the added footage in the "Director's Cut" versions that seem to be all that's available anymore, so I decided to order one of the older school DVD versions.

VHS:
Empire Strikes Back (1984, I believe) - another one of my all time favorite movies
Star Trek: TOS "The Menagerie" - the first of what I expect will be a TOS tape collection. The modern remastered editions are gorgeous and easily accessible. But they're not the version of the show I grew up on in the 70s and 80s.

i wish Amadeus kept everything. i have the LDs, DVD, VHD and BD. nice movie but it didn't need the extra scemes.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 22:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Got a few SNES carts at a local shop today in anticipation of getting a SNES again in the mail. Honestly the prices have kinda went down from what they were on most games. I grabbed Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy II (IV lol) and Castlevania IV. All games I know I like.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 22:50 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

xtempo wrote:
i wish Amadeus kept everything. i have the LDs, DVD, VHD and BD. nice movie but it didn't need the extra scemes.

Exactly. Aside from one scene that does explain why Stanzi hates Salieri so much, the added scenes do nothing to add to the film. And as is so often the case with such things, they actually slow it down IMO. Scenes are almost always cut for a reason.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 05:47 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Three different eBay orders arrived today! :P

Love me some good ol’ 1997 DVD Snapcase.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 07:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

noehat wrote:
xtempo wrote:

Exactly. Aside from one scene that does explain why Stanzi hates Salieri so much, the added scenes do nothing to add to the film. And as is so often the case with such things, they actually slow it down IMO. Scenes are almost always cut for a reason.

Yes, you are quite right. I have the same problem with Apocalpyse Now. The original version is way better than the longer Redux version that came later. It is full of
unnecessary scenes that simply slow down the entire movie. I love this film and always try to watch the original version first.

Pioneer CLD-D925 for PAL discs.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 11:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Atari 2600 Jr (console only)
Sega Master System II Power Base (console only)
Double Dragon (SMS) - missing manual
Wonder Boy (SMS) - clamshell case, missing manual
Xenon 2 Megablast (SMS)
The Ooze (MD)
Batman Forever (MD)
Armored Core Formula Front (PSP)
Resident Evil 5 (Xbox One)
Resident Evil 6 (Xbox One)

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 11:30 
True fan
True fan

deadlegion wrote:
Sega Master System II Power Base (console only)
Double Dragon (SMS) - missing manual
Wonder Boy (SMS) - clamshell case, missing manual

Sounds like a great afternoon Double Dragon still holds up
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 21:14 
True fan
True fan

Added a 6x2 HDMI matrix to my setup this week. It does a whole bunch of stuff including 4K HDR, full audio/video passthrough etc. It lacks autoswitching, but I run it through a Harmony Elite setup so it's not really a major issue once you add in the commands to an activity sequence. Plus it is actually a good thing sometimes as if the Nvidia Shield reboots or does something strange, for example, it can automatically take over the HDMI signal of whatever else is on the switch. Having something like this 6x2 matrix does a great job of things.

Customisable EDID as well, though I don't really need it as everything is passthrough to one display. Great little thing and fairly future proof with the chroma subsampling and so on too it seems.

This is a CYP unit, very similar to the DVDO Matrix44 except the CYP is 6x2 and not 4x4, everything else is the same in hardware and software. It makes me wonder if CYP Europe/Taiwan licensed this out to DVDO to rebadge in the USA?

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2020, 19:38 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Even though I "own" the HD versions on Vudu, I have a VHS set of the complete Emma Peel Avengers eps on the way.

The Tara King season is a little tougher to source, though. :(

I just keep finding the DVDs on ebay, and they're not cheap.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020, 23:49 
True fan
True fan

Junkman arrived today. I was going to buy the LD but to be honest, this is the version to get. The film is fully restored and remastered and has a bunch of extras plus an intro by the late director's wife.

Incidentally, the film comes with a 5.1 surround track or a DTS track. The DTS track imho is far superior. Picture wise the restoration is superb, although it is strange as the film is presented in 4:3 but the image is letterboxed. Not entirely sure what is going on there?

The film is also in the Guinness World Records books too. Bought used, haven't seen any new sealed copies. If you can track this DVD down for a good price, jump on it.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2020, 00:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

What are the new scenes? Aside from my initial viewing the only version of this movie I’ve ever watched is the Pioneer Special Edition.

xtempo wrote:
noehat wrote:

DVD:

VHS:

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2020, 02:32 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

signofzeta wrote:
What are the new scenes? Aside from my initial viewing the only version of this movie I’ve ever watched is the Pioneer Special Edition.

For Amadeus:
[Reveal] Spoiler: if readers care to avoid, thought it doesn't change the plot, really
There's an extended scene of Mozart at someone's house, trying to give a music lesson to their teenage daughter while the family looks on. Loud dog and other obnoxiousness. It's just lame, and it goes on and on and on.

Also, remember when Mozart's wife sneaks his music to Salieri, to try to beg for a job? That scene is extended. Salieri makes her think she has to sleep with him, so she very nervously gets naked. Then he calls the servants, while she's standing there nude, and shouts about what a tramp she is and demands they throw her out. It does explain why she hates Salieri so much at the end of the film, but it changes S from a pitiful underdog to a downright monster. I hate it. Aside from the nudity, it seems likely to me that the scene was cut for the same reason - it's just too dark for the character as developed previously.

There may be more bits I am forgetting, but those two stand out.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2020, 18:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

noehat wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

For Amadeus:
[Reveal] Spoiler: if readers care to avoid, thought it doesn't change the plot, really
There's an extended scene of Mozart at someone's house, trying to give a music lesson to their teenage daughter while the family looks on. Loud dog and other obnoxiousness. It's just lame, and it goes on and on and on.

Also, remember when Mozart's wife sneaks his music to Salieri, to try to beg for a job? That scene is extended. Salieri makes her think she has to sleep with him, so she very nervously gets naked. Then he calls the servants, while she's standing there nude, and shouts about what a tramp she is and demands they throw her out. It does explain why she hates Salieri so much at the end of the film, but it changes S from a pitiful underdog to a downright monster. I hate it. Aside from the nudity, it seems likely to me that the scene was cut for the same reason - it's just too dark for the character as developed previously.

There may be more bits I am forgetting, but those two stand out.

I thought in the commentary he said something about the scenes with blood. how the studio wanted them but they looked so fake. Wish I had my DVD or BD copy that has the commentary and give that a listen. All I have is the VHD which is worse than a VHS but makes it enjoyable all the same.

Last edited by xtempo on 14 Jul 2020, 19:49, edited 1 time in total. _________________
INSTAGRAM | Poetry Blog | youtube

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2020, 19:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Been waiting 6 years for this.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2020, 15:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I bought this way back in March, right before the lockdowns started and while everything else eventually arrived early last month, I'd kind of written this one off - until last week there suddenly was an update to the tracking info.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2020, 15:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:
I bought this way back in March, right before the lockdowns started and while everything else eventually arrived early last month, I'd kind of written this one off - until last week there suddenly was an update to the tracking info.

Yeah, I got my guitar parts I ordered back in mid April from China last week, I wrote it off as well but it came through.
I told my PO guy and he said oh it was slow boat from China I said yes it was :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2020, 08:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Dead Rising 4 (Xbox One)
The Evil Within (Xbox One)
Rage 2 (Xbox One)
Final Fantasy XV (Xbox One)
Grand Theft Auto V Premium Edition (Xbox One)

Edit:
LG Blu-ray rewriter BH16NS55

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 17:35 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Bought a new video capture card - AverMedia CE310B SD PCIe

Comb filter in it is really good.

See the test result here: elahrairrah @ Getting the best picture when capturing LD to computer

Page 58 of 60 [ 1199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next