It is currently 16 Sep 2019, 21:53

Page 9 of 25 [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last Product you bought? (Except Laserdisc)
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2018, 10:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

So yeah, last Tuesday I got a pallet delivered to me from Germany...

And it turned out to be a BVM-A24E1WM! :D

It's equipped with a BKM-62HS card for SDI and HD-SDI input (with support for 3G and Dual-link). In its current state I can display 480i, 576i, 720p and 1080i on it. Once I had it in place in my retro corner, I could calibrate it using CalMAN and the results were fantastic. By far the best CRT I've ever worked with (reference speaking) and I'm very happy to finally have a replacement for my old HDM-3830 which moved to a new home in September this year. It's even better than the D24 thanks to its more accurate color reproduction (in both BT.601 and BT.709) as well as more stable white balance. Not to mention the controls for RGB Gain and bias as well as brightness and contrast are much more separated from eachother on this particular CRT than the earlier BVMs, making calibration much easier as the settings rarely interrupt with eachother.

And finally, a pretty bad picture of it in its new home. The photo gets too exposed from the CRT. In reality you have a very nice and highly enjoyable image.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2018, 13:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

What IS that? I mean it's obviously some kind of a monitor and not a television, but is it like a broadcast monitor or what?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2018, 15:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yep, it was Sonys last professional grade1 CRT monitor. It was designed for usage in the most critical situations, like color grading and research. It's a wonderful monitor, which isn't surprising considering it's ridicilously high price tag when new. Those were retailed at around 25-30.000 USD, and that's just the monitor (not including control panel, input cards, monitor stand etc).

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2018, 15:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

And how much did you pay for it?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2018, 16:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

995 euros for the monitor (with the BKM-62HS) including shipping plus an additional 140 USD for the control board.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2018, 11:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Incredible

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2018, 18:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

well, here she is, not perfect, but all right, even so.

she seems to be a custom collaboration between KOTOBUKIYA and OBITSU.

while her legs, arms and internal spinal frame are all the stock standard OBITSU doll body of the day,
the head and soft vinyl bust/lower torso halves are clearly KOTOBUKIYA originals.

the head has a captive shaft that slots into the OBITSU 27's hollow neck,

-with the OBITSU's usual standard head peg, eye hook, and it's retaining bar all absent-

- but otherwise, she ends up looking and feeling like just another typical OBITSU 27-based character doll,
save for her unusually-endowed bust-line and somewhat curvier lower torso,
complete with light anatomical accuracy of the personal region.

that said, her KOTOBUKIYA-sourced endowments proved far too generous for my own tastes,
and so i ported her over to a more reasonably-sized M-bust OBITSU i had tucked away.

among other things, her Sailor-Blouse looks far less strained on her now.
also, the Bra and Panties are completely new. made by hand from scratch;

http://to-heart.wikia.com/wiki/Tamaki_Kousaka

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Heart_2

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2018, 01:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

nissling wrote:
995 euros for the monitor (with the BKM-62HS) including shipping plus an additional 140 USD for the control board.

Damn, that's not bad at all in today's market. What a beaut.

tasuke wrote:

I too bought a toy recently. Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles - Selvaria Bles - Dwell - 1/7 (Vertex). She is now on display next to my Macross ladies, lol. Nice one that you got here.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 13:19 
True fan
True fan

Amazing Sony monitor nisling congrats
Tell me the shop private message

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 16:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You'll get a pm ASAP. :)

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 16:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

gypsy wrote:
I too bought a toy recently. Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles - Selvaria Bles - Dwell - 1/7 (Vertex). She is now on display next to my Macross ladies, lol. Nice one that you got here.

VALKYRIA/GALLIAN CHRONICLES is one hell of a game. i've the original PS3 release, as well as the PS4 port STEELBOOK edition.

in a sentence, it's essentially a WORLD WAR II story by way of STUDIO GHIBLI,
and as such, it makes for the sort of unique video game experience you often only come across but once a generation...

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 20:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tasuke wrote:
gypsy wrote:

VALKYRIA/GALLIAN CHRONICLES is one hell of a game. i've the original PS3 release, as well as the PS4 port STEELBOOK edition.

in a sentence, it's essentially a WORLD WAR II story by way of STUDIO GHIBLI,
and as such, it makes for the sort of unique video game experience you often only come across but once a generation...

It's a personal favorite of mine. I need to pick up the PS4 remaster.

I didn't like 2/3 as much but they were okay games. Didn't have the same magic and feel of the first. A couple of my buddies that loved the first one have said 4 is amazing and more like the first. I just finished the game I was playing, so I think VC4 will be next.

This is the Selvaria figure I have: https://myfigurecollection.net/item/198490

Looking to add this one soon: https://myfigurecollection.net/item/13815

Legit figures too, not the Chinese fakes which are really bad and prevalent.

I also have the Japanese limited box for the first game, Japanese artbook, Japanese guide, US guide and the first two artbooks released in the US by UDON. I wish I would have remembered to pick up the third US artbook release, I refuse to pay $100 for it (current asking price). I've thought about getting the Japanese release of that for $30 though. I actually normally don't go this deep on collectibles but I love the visual style of the series and have beat the first game like 3 times heh.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 11:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I found this beast at an auction house and had to have it. It's a circa 1982 Sony Videoscope KP-5040 CRT front projection display with integrated motorized mirror. The impossible to get 50 inch curved silver screen and mirror were nowhere to be found at first, but magically materialized along with the manual and warranty cards. Even the original receipt from 1982 for $3200 (over $8k today) - pretty much the most expensive TV you could get then. Pretty amazing beast, with features such as stereo speakers and line input (before stereo was even a thing on TVs) and, most importantly, composite input for all important laserdisc viewing. Amazingly well made thing from when Sony consumer gear was something special - upon getting it home, it worked right away when plugged in - how many 2018 sets could you do that with 36 years from now?

All for a $15 bid, not too bad. Always wanted to fool around with a CRT projector, and I found the service manual online (lots of internal pots to tweak if needed for convergence and geometry!). I will have to watch something from 1982 for an inaugural laserdisc on it when I get it setup, like my Animeigo Arcadia of my Youth. A real time warp display, you could just see something like this in an early 80's "media room". Here's an original owner showing one off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm0oLFr0j2s

A pic as initially found at the auction:

What it will look like setup (a pic from the net)

Attachments:
tv2.jpeg
tv2.jpeg [ 47.74 KiB | Viewed 560 times ]

Last edited by harlock on 20 Nov 2018, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 12:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Lovin that wood chassis.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 14:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

That's rather neat. Never seen anything like that before. And I mean I have a Sony CRT projector but this thing is quite different and a lot older.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 15:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Very cool, I saw a Pioneer version similar to that once at a goodswill but they wanted 80 and the screen was all scratched up.
Bet its very heavy, probably pushing a 250-300 line resolution. Don't push that with any line doubler or you won't be using it anymore.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 20:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Had another figure arrive today...

Hyakka Ryouran - Naoe Kanetsugu - 1/8 - Swimsuit ver. (Alter, Hobby Japan)

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 22:31 
Honest fan
Honest fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Lovin that wood chassis.

Yeah, it's incredibly thick and a nice warm color. Between the wood and brushed metal, it really fits the whole 70s Pioneer SX series receiver aesthetic.
gypsy wrote:
That's rather neat. Never seen anything like that before. And I mean I have a Sony CRT projector but this thing is quite different and a lot older.

I've never run across one "in the wild" myself. They probably didn't sell too many at a list price of almost $4k back when that was big bucks. It must have been something to have one back in 1982. The physical configuration is really quite neat, and not as obnoxious in a room as the huge boxy RPTV that was more popular. There were a few other front mirror sets before from a few companies, but this seems to be about the latest and greatest one given the features like stereo line (and "matrix sound") capability in an era when MTV had you tune into a stereo radio station simulcast for 2 channel sound as stereo broadcasting hardly existed, in addition to stuff like digital tuning instead of push buttons.
rein-o wrote:
Very cool, I saw a Pioneer version similar to that once at a goodswill but they wanted 80 and the screen was all scratched up.
Bet its very heavy, probably pushing a 250-300 line resolution. Don't push that with any line doubler or you won't be using it anymore.

About the coolest thing I've picked up in ages - as a fan of the 80s, old electronics, and LD this is about as good as it gets. The metal foil screens seem sensitive - saw a thread about someone who had one ruined from a move where it chafed on a tarp. Mine had some water staining which totally vanished with a little elbow grease and a wet cloth - I was hesitant to use anything stronger (was pondering vinegar for the white residue) given the unknown composition of this alien artifact, and it's like new now. The screen showing up was great - it's a curved high power screen that would be hard to replicate.

I believe the specs say about 150 pounds for the weight. The screen and aluminum support arms weigh little, so that's just about all PJ. Very, very well made - the chassis is a heavy metal frame and the wood is thick, and it's all made in Japan. The deflection transistors are those big metal chassis mount type, and from talking to a guy that serviced these, and other accounts, these were easy to service and reliable. Yup, NTSC is the limit for video input for sure.

Control panel opened up. "Motor Drive" a switch you don't see every day. Note the internal test pattern generator switch for a handy convergence grid as well.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 22:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Got some fun stuff today. Tasuke you might appreciate the figures. Moderate NSFW.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 01:54 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

My friends have been asking me to get an Xbox for online gaming for weeks. I finally gave in and bought the Xbox one X 1Tb Gold Rush edition. Tonight I am performing the surgery and swapping the 5400rpm HDD with a 1 TB Samsung SSD. This is my second console ever, first one was a PS3 60GB.

Page 9 of 25 [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next