It is currently 05 Jun 2020, 07:46

Page 21 of 52 [ 1038 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last Product you bought? (Except Laserdisc)
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2019, 22:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
As someone who lost a parent in the last couple years I can't even imagine wishing for it.

Oh sorry, maybe your parents, you know, helped you in some way in your life. Mine didn't. On my 18th birthday I was on the street. My Dad retired at 50, plays golf, buys new cars every year, cruises around the world and I struggle working full time but earning in real terms about a third of what he did in his career and he's all about "you gotta stand on your own two feet son." He got free uni, cheap housing, a stable job with a good salary. I've been paying my uni off for 20 years now, still got $35k to go. He could have easily helped me get a deposit for a home. My Mum is even worse, she was just drunk my whole life. Owe them nothing.

Anyway I'm f***ed anyway because their generation basically lives forever, still got at least another 20 years to wait probably. Not sure my generation will live that long. I'm already going to have to retire from work at 70 instead of 50 for my Dad.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2019, 22:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The boomers bent over and conned everyone, it's the same way in the US.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2019, 22:18 
True fan
True fan

forper wrote:

Oh sorry, maybe your parents, you know, helped you in some way in your life. Mine didn't. On my 18th birthday I was on the street. My Dad retired at 50, plays golf, buys new cars every year, cruises around the world and I struggle working full time but earning in real terms about a third of what he did in his career and he's all about "you gotta stand on your own two feet son." He got free uni, cheap housing, a stable job with a good salary. I've been paying my uni off for 20 years now, still got $35k to go. He could have easily helped me get a deposit for a home. My Mum is even worse, she was just drunk my whole life. Owe them nothing.

Anyway I'm f***ed anyway because their generation basically lives forever, still got at least another 20 years to wait probably. Not sure my generation will live that long. I'm already going to have to retire from work at 70 instead of 50 for my Dad.

If they're really as terrible as you say they probably won't leave you anything.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2019, 22:38 
True fan
True fan

gypsy wrote:

The main problem with the generations after is that many just constantly run up debt and complain about the boomers.
I have never bought a car brand new and only once borrowed a small amount of money for one. Most people my age don't own their house outright or their car(s). They feel compelled to buy the latest car, tv etc every couple of years, plus getting the latest $1000+ phone every 12 months.

People living like that shouldn't complain because they're obviously contributing to their own situation.
I'm not saying forper is like that though, I have no idea about his personal circumstances.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2019, 22:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

deadlegion wrote:
gypsy wrote:

The main problem with the generations after is that many just constantly run up debt and complain about the boomers.
I have never bought a car brand new and only once borrowed a small amount of money for one. Most people my age don't own their house outright or their car(s). They feel compelled to buy the latest car, tv etc every couple of years, plus getting the latest $1000+ phone every 12 months.

People living like that shouldn't complain because they're obviously contributing to their own situation.
I'm not saying forper is like that though, I have no idea about his personal circumstances.

Well there are idiots regardless of generation.

I'm similarly cheap about some stuff. I buy all vehicles used, don't care how they look either. I've bought most of my TVs used as well, some were even free like the XBR800 which is my main display for LD and many game consoles.I have 1080p displays, I think I bought the bigger one in my living room new off Amazon, but it wasn't too bad it was on sale. Just a couple years ago or so I finally got fed up with tracfone raising their rates so I got an unlocked blackberry (lol) for a $10 a month cell phone plan. :lol:

A buddy of mine always wonders how I afford everything that I do including areas where I don't cheap out ie good paper products and I told him straight up well I'm not stupid. I don't do anything to my car except required maintenance to keep it running, I don't have any renewing subscription type services including tv, I don't go out and spend $30 in a single visit at a pizza place like his family does (forrrr reaaaal) etc...

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2019, 22:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
gypsy wrote:
As someone who lost a parent in the last couple years I can't even imagine wishing for it.

I get your points but to originally word it in such a manner was perhaps not easy to read, your follow up comments may explain your feelings but living in hope for someones death can't be healthy.

Whatever happens happens so look after yourself & those you care about around you, life is good - just live it.

Take care & cheers for now.

John

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2019, 23:48 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:

gypsy wrote:

If she was drunk all the time she probably doesn't have much longer.

And I agree with deadlegion, they probably won't leave you anything or make it super hard, like not have a will.

On the other had cheap is nice but doesn't always work out until you unload and then where do you go.
Our house was cheap but it needs work, hasn't been worked on since the mid to late 60s........

I'm going outside now to finish painting 2 more windows, once those are done I will have 7 of the 28 150yo windows fixed.................

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 00:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

There are things to be cheap about and things to not. I take house and property maintenance seriously. Did a total remodel not too long ago.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 00:11 
True fan
True fan

All houses are going to need maintenance sooner or later. Last house I had was brick in a city, sold it and bought a weatherboard out in the country that'd been clad. The air is better out here, my yard is bigger, I have nice views (elevated foundations on a hill), the water is bore and not the city crap, my shed went from one car to three car plus workshop. The house itself is basically the same size as what I had.

This place requires much less maintenance atm than what I had before but the age difference is only like 20 years.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 01:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah I was told that our house is the oldest on the block.........

At least when we are done doing work we won't need to attack these issues, it will be other issues on the house if we still have it.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 01:37 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
Yeah I was told that our house is the oldest on the block.........

At least when we are done doing work we won't need to attack these issues, it will be other issues on the house if we still have it.

My parent's place is probably around the same age as yours, which may not be super old for over there but it's pretty old over here. A lot of work but most of the big stuff is sorted atm. Mostly weatherboard with iron roof but one end is older by about 20 years and that's brick with slate roof. I was up there last week fixing some flashing around a chimney.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 01:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah we have that taken care of, I just have to fix the plaster from water damage around the chimney.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 02:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:
deadlegion wrote:
gypsy wrote:

Well there are idiots regardless of generation.

I'm similarly cheap about some stuff. I buy all vehicles used, don't care how they look either. I've bought most of my TVs used as well, some were even free like the XBR800 which is my main display for LD and many game consoles.I have 1080p displays, I think I bought the bigger one in my living room new off Amazon, but it wasn't too bad it was on sale. Just a couple years ago or so I finally got fed up with tracfone raising their rates so I got an unlocked blackberry (lol) for a $10 a month cell phone plan. :lol:

A buddy of mine always wonders how I afford everything that I do including areas where I don't cheap out ie good paper products and I told him straight up well I'm not stupid. I don't do anything to my car except required maintenance to keep it running, I don't have any renewing subscription type services including tv, I don't go out and spend $30 in a single visit at a pizza place like his family does (forrrr reaaaal) etc...

I work 15 min from home and my daily is a Honda Fit. I bought it Certified Preowned. It’s was one of the most low tech cars left running when it went out of production in 2014.

Some of the people I work with drive an hour each way so they can live in a giant castle in the middle of BFE and they commute in idiotic pickup trucks that get 17 MPG. Some dudes are dropping like $100 a week on fuel, more than payments on my Fit. I fill up about once every three weeks.

Recently a coworker was shopping online for another dumb pickup and mentioned that the one he has now has 200,000 miles on it. My quick math estimated that it would take about $28,000 in gasoline to put 200,000 miles on one of these trucks. These same people would never EVER spend $10 on a CD, even if it was their favorite music ever. They do buy Lottery crap. They wonder how I can afford a model kit or something but they have $2100 a month in car payments. The combined displacement of all three of my cars is 5.1L, less than one pickup truck.

It’s kind of amazing what people can make themselves believe about the cost of living. I work in an engineering lab so nobody is using their ride to haul plywood or anything. This is our main and only job for nearly all of us. All we need is a commuter. They sit in traffic with alone with an empty bed liner in their stupidly short bed...at the same red light we’re all sitting at. It’s all pretend macho crap.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 07:58 
True fan
True fan

signofzeta wrote:
I work 15 min from home and my daily is a Honda Fit. I bought it Certified Preowned. It’s was one of the most low tech cars left running when it went out of production in 2014.

Hey, we're Honda Fit buddies! My wife and I have a Honda Fit, and a Segway ES1. We rarely need two vehicles but when we do I just use the Segway, $500 was cheaper than a second car.

I'm paying less than $200 a month paying them off, with the Scooter only having a few months left as it was only a 12 month financing. My dad on the other hand, who gets a new Truck every couple years, is paying over $2000 a month for his Truck and my Step Mothers car. He wonders how I can afford to go out to eat once or twice a week, go figure.

I don't make a ton of money at my job, but it's way easier to live within my means when I don't feel the need to flaunt my ego with a 40k truck.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 08:19 
True fan
True fan

Last car I got was free, a Kio Rio (2005). It has over 250k km's on it now but I haven't needed to spend loads on it. Spark plugs & coil packs, battery, some tyres, one timing belt change, oil & filter changes a few times but it's all standard stuff and I can source all that stuff cheap. I've been able to get tyres for cost price for over 20 years now.

I've got an old Mazda 121 (1990) in the shed with very low km's on it, so that'll be the next car when the Rio needs something serious.
The Mazda has a smaller engine (1.3L), 5 speed, a/c and doesn't need much to get back on the road. Eligible for club reg because of the age.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 10:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

deadlegion wrote:
If they're really as terrible as you say they probably won't leave you anything.

doesn't matter. in our country all wills are contestable and living children always get the money.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 10:24 
True fan
True fan

deadlegion wrote:
Last car I got was free, a Kio Rio (2005). It has over 250k km's on it now but I haven't needed to spend loads on it. Spark plugs & coil packs, battery, some tyres, one timing belt change, oil & filter changes a few times but it's all standard stuff and I can source all that stuff cheap. I've been able to get tyres for cost price for over 20 years now.

I've got an old Mazda 121 (1990) in the shed with very low km's on it, so that'll be the next car when the Rio needs something serious.
The Mazda has a smaller engine (1.3L), 5 speed, a/c and doesn't need much to get back on the road. Eligible for club reg because of the age.

Honestly I'll be lucky if my Fit holds up until the end of the loan, not because it's a bad car, but because of how mountainous it is where I live, and how much salt they use on the roads in the winter.

It's only got ~110k miles on it, but I still have 3 years I'm paying for it.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 10:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

je280 wrote:
living in hope for someones death can't be healthy.

It's the only thing that gives me hope

je280 wrote:
those you care about around you

These people don't exist.

I care about things. People say that's shallow. But my things don't screw me over and I love them. Seriously, if I lost my LDs I would cry for days and be pissed off about it my whole life. I would seek revenge on anyone that took them from me. They bring me happiness because of the experience and feeling attached to them, just like someone you "love".

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 10:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm 47 years old and I have never owned a car. I just couldn't afford the maintenance, rego, petrol and parking even if I got it for free. I have a licence since I was 24. I don't know why, total waste of money, I guess I figured my income would rise enough to afford a car by the time I was 40. Guess not.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 10:40 
True fan
True fan

forper wrote:
je280 wrote:
living in hope for someones death can't be healthy.

It's the only thing that gives me hope

je280 wrote:
those you care about around you

These people don't exist.

I care about things. People say that's shallow. But my things don't screw me over and I love them. Seriously, if I lost my LDs I would cry for days and be pissed off about it my whole life. I would seek revenge on anyone that took them from me. They bring me happiness because of the experience and feeling attached to them, just like someone you "love".

Well hey, at least you got us. Your big, multinational, laser-disc collecting family. I love coming here daily to see what people picked up, and what they're working on.

Page 21 of 52 [ 1038 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 52  Next