It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:16

Page 9 of 10 [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sega Saturn
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2021, 14:45 
Serious fan
Serious fan

retrolaservision wrote:
Does anyone know where you can get good quality rgb scart cables for the Saturn. One advantage of being an european is that my consumer grade LG CRT is rgb capable. Right now I have my Saturn hooked up using the original Sega RGB scart cable. (I checked up the manual and yes it came with an RGB cable. And my TV confirms that it is indeed RGB)

Still there is some background noise in the quiet sections, due to the cable. So I'd like to know, if you know any better alternatives to the original Sega RGB cable.

I think retrogamingcables.co.uk has good-quality SCART cables for most consoles that support RGB.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2021, 15:58 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Is the battery the same across all regions? I accidently left a 2032 battery in my Japanese model 1 and when trying to get it out the holder became loose. I manage to get the battery out but it was really stuck. on the other two US model 1 and 2 the battery came out fine. I couldn't find any damage other than the one pin being loose on the Japanese model 1.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2021, 17:43 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Don't know about the japanese ones. But my euro model 2 also uses a cr 2032. It says the battery model in the euro manual at least. So if you can find the manual on the internet it might say what battery they use.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2021, 04:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

They are the same, all models, all regions.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2021, 09:15 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

then my battery must have swelled some. I did finally get it out. Wished I had all my games with me but I've got some.

PostPosted: 04 May 2021, 13:30 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

got the new retrobit wired sega saturn controller and it feels like a normal controller. I'm currently playing Legend of Oasis for umpteenth time and the controller is fine perfect even but its based off the japanese controller which I am not use to as I have had more experience with the larger US one.

PostPosted: 04 May 2021, 15:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Do you mean the model 1 controller with the larger USA one. (I hope I didn't anger signofzeta by calling the bulky controller model 1). Or is the USA version of the model 2 controller bigger than the japanese version of it? It would be interesting to know since all of my future controllers will probably be Japanese ones as they are the cheapest.

PostPosted: 04 May 2021, 16:09 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

the model 1 or rather US model is the large one. the retrobit is based off the Japanese one which would be model 2 in the US.

PostPosted: 04 May 2021, 16:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There’s honestly not a big difference in size. The US is more curved and the JP one is flatter.

Basically nobody wants US pads. That’s they they stopped selling them even in the US. They are Sega of America overreach.

PostPosted: 04 May 2021, 17:08 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

signofzeta wrote:
There’s honestly not a big difference in size. The US is more curved and the JP one is flatter.

Basically nobody wants US pads. That’s they they stopped selling them even in the US. They are Sega of America overreach.

I kinda like them even with other owning other pads I've used my main controller that came with the model 1 since I bought it. Weirdly I got the model 1 with NiGHTS sampler and the 3 free games when they were towards the end of it not the beginning. I would think I would have gotten the model 2 but nope EB still had some or something. Loved it ever since. Now I have about half my games I need the rest for everything in my storage unit.

PostPosted: 04 May 2021, 20:34 
Honest fan
Honest fan

From what I have seen the stores certainly had model 1's even when model 2 was out. I looked at a JC Penney christmas catalog from 1997. And the saturn for sale is model 1 and the controllers are still model 1's. I guess they had unsold stock of model 1's.

PostPosted: 05 May 2021, 11:49 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

retrolaservision wrote:
From what I have seen the stores certainly had model 1's even when model 2 was out. I looked at a JC Penney christmas catalog from 1997. And the saturn for sale is model 1 and the controllers are still model 1's. I guess they had unsold stock of model 1's.

Or old photos.

PostPosted: 05 May 2021, 13:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i just recently took the time to open up, clean out and tighten up tolerances on my original U.S. SATURN controller
in preparation for another run through Magic Knight RAYEARTH.

MUCH better handling now, tight and responsive as it should be... :D

PostPosted: 05 May 2021, 15:41 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
retrolaservision wrote:

Or old photos.

I mean I'd thought so too. But xtempo said he bought a Saturn towards the end and even that was a model 1. So it might be more than JCPenney using just old photos. Anyway here's a link to the JCPenney page if you want to check it out. It also came with 3 free games.

https://christmas.musetechnical.com/Sho ... -Book/0629

PostPosted: 05 May 2021, 15:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Reminds me of missing out on some early GI Joe toys, they would give you vouchers to order them without boxes etc.
Picked up the Wolverine and the flyer said clearly that the figure was not going to come with it, guess it was overstock on vehicles.

Anyway about 1-2 weeks later it arrived and came with Covergirl.

These pics are stock directly from the manufacturer and have nothing to do with pennies or anything and are what Sega or Hasbro or Kenner give you
or have on hand.
Could have been an older box of parts they found etc.

Another reminds me of another story I read about the dates on volume pots in guitars, they had a bin full of pots at the factory, all the same
date but when they got down in the bin they would top it off with newer stuff so you may get a newer guitar with older pots when they got
to the bottom again.

This isn't science, this is manufacturing.

PostPosted: 05 May 2021, 20:12 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

oddly I bought NiGHTS from a JC Penny outlet wish it was with the games I got when I went to the unit. Oh well going back in a month or so to get more.

PostPosted: 06 May 2021, 16:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Historical notes:

JC Penny was not the biggest seller of video games. Most stores didn’t have a section for it, most of JC Penny’s game sales probably came from the Christmas catalog. It’s possible that in fact they were the last place to sell out of MkI Saturns. They may STILL have them somewhere.

There is no meaningful difference between the MkII and MkI so it’s not in the interest of the retailer to educate anyone on this distinction.

PostPosted: 06 May 2021, 16:35 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I found that the only neat difference between the bulky US Saturn pads and the svelte Japanese pads are that the US pads would allow you to either push the shoulder buttons down or in. Not that I can imagine any scenario when someone would reach all the way up with their thumbs to push one of those shoulder buttons down (unless you have Andre the Giant hands--maybe that's what SoA was counting on? :lol: ) but it was definitely unique.

Needless to say I only have two original US pads (bought the other the same time I got my first Saturn in '96.) The rest were Japanese pads I bought in Hong Kong (and of course an analog pad.) Had to have a lot of pads to play Guardian Heroes and Saturn Bomberman right?

PostPosted: 06 May 2021, 17:40 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I don't honestly know how you can use the usa pads. The shape isn't that terrible as I thought it would (I like the fact it doesn't have a ridge unlike the japanese controller) And sure the shoulder pads aren't as clicky. But my main gripe with it is the d pad. I know there are ways to replace it with a standard one. But in it's current state my finger starts to hurt. Still it is my more picked player 2 controller since it doesn't have duck tape in it's wire.

But then again I use the ST.2 as my Saturn controller. I just like the 6 button mega drive pad.

(Great now I have one silver rank next to the bronzes. I have to make ungodly ammount of posts until my rank looks consistent)

PostPosted: 07 May 2021, 21:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I only have the original Japanese controller design at this point. I think 3 or 4 of them. That first US revised controller is basically unusable to me, mainly for the reason retrolaservision said, the dpad is absolute garbage.

I have some US Saturn games coming in for the first time in awhile from some trades. The values on everything are truly wild now. I unloaded some stuff, mostly PS1 that I had beat (with no intention to play again) and a few others I tried again recently and couldn't get into. Even with the crazy money from that, I don't think I can justify getting MKR again. Obviously if I just want to play, a cdr is a non-issue but I've been enjoying having actual copies of games I really like.

Page 9 of 10 [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next