It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:21

Page 1 of 4 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Another great video store bites the dust
PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 19:57 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Damn you Netflix!!!!

Thomas Video closing after 40 years

This one is especially relevant as I purchased quite a Laserdiscs from them when they had a website (including several now pricey Lucio Fulci movies.)

If anyone's in the Detroit area, they probably still have laserdiscs to liquidate!

Post subject: Re: Another great video store bites the dust
PostPosted: 13 May 2014, 00:40 
Serious fan
Serious fan

It is sad. I'm 44, when I was growing up if you wanted a record then you went to the record store and bought one. If you wanted a movie then you went to the video store and either bought it or rented it. Now it's download a song on your phone. Rent a DVD or Blu at a red box for $1. Kind of soulless, IMO. If I pay for something then I want a physical item. DVD/LD/VHS/BR/CD/BOOK whatever. I don't want to 'virtually' own it. But for kids growing up now this is their new norm.
It's also instant gratification, you want a song then BOOM, you have it. Want to watch a movie, BOOM, download it. Additionally it's bad for small businesses. Good for the big businesses, they don't worry about second hand stores selling their movies or music, whatever. More people to buy the download. I'm in a big city in Fl, if we even have 1 video store left I don't know about it.

PostPosted: 13 May 2014, 16:54 
nikita70 wrote:
It is sad. I'm 44, when I was growing up if you wanted a record then you went to the record store and bought one. If you wanted a movie then you went to the video store and either bought it or rented it. Now it's download a song on your phone. Rent a DVD or Blu at a red box for $1. Kind of soulless, IMO. If I pay for something then I want a physical item. DVD/LD/VHS/BR/CD/BOOK whatever. I don't want to 'virtually' own it. But for kids growing up now this is their new norm.
It's also instant gratification, you want a song then BOOM, you have it. Want to watch a movie, BOOM, download it. Additionally it's bad for small businesses. Good for the big businesses, they don't worry about second hand stores selling their movies or music, whatever. More people to buy the download. I'm in a big city in Fl, if we even have 1 video store left I don't know about it.

It's real sad, as the entertainment industry grows, it also gets smaller. I almost replied to a thread yesterday on this, the nostalgia of actually going out and seeing the new titles in the store, buying or renting, can't be duplicated online. Different shops had different vibes, man I miss all the different retail spots. Anyone remember actually making friends at stores, or getting to know someone at the store with similar interests and getting turned on to something new because of it? It's just exceedingly rare to even strike up conversation in a public venue these days.

We've lost everything locally owned. We had a great independent record store close almost a decade ago that had been around for over 30 years, they carried almost everything media wise, and I was real bitter seeing them go. Now kids don't even understand what you mean when you say you wish you had a place to really support locally. Even people my age look at me like I'm a relic, and I'm only in my mid-30's.

Yes we've all slowly gutted the soul out of everything we buy, but there's always upsides and downsides.

PostPosted: 13 May 2014, 19:24 
True fan
True fan

Even though I wasn't around in the 80's, I still have fond memories of going to the video store (in the 2000's, of course). Ah, those were the days of seeing all of those Pan and Scan VHS tapes, holding them in your hands, and begging your parents to rent it. It's sad they're almost all gone, now. :\

PostPosted: 13 May 2014, 19:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Please don't start...

European shops are dissapearing as we speak :wtf:

Free record shop bit the dust last year :thumbdown: The time I spent there, people called me the shop owner :lol:

The laserdisc shops are long gone, a distant memory nowadays. Never felt the same in any shop after they closed down.

Mediamarkt is all that is left in Belgium. I like going there, but this mass production, grab em' now products aren't doing it for me.
When a new title is released there are few shops left that have it on that very day.

Ebay, Bol.com, Cd universe, play.com... I have nothing against them but I miss inspecting a release before purchasing it. I'm empty handed behind my laptop ...

Sure there are retailers left in Belgium (Europe) but somewhat more specialized is getting very very hard to find.

Damn, I miss the 90's

Video killed the radiostar?
What did the world wide web do? :crazy:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 14 May 2014, 10:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I remember when all the file sharing started. Oh we defending it by saying, yeah the record companies cant control us, now they dont decide what we want to listen to, now its so much easier to reach the listeners.

So what is the result, the big companies are not the only ones that making the money, the small guys and stores are long gone, we just snapped of the independent part of the chain. I mean how many decent b movies are made nowdays ?And youth are feed with 100% big company music, but now in smaller selection. There are no investors for smaller productions any more, they are either tons of money or almost none.

Dont get me wrong, downloading is great for poor people, they got all the right to download if the price of a movie is what they make in a week.

Take a good look on Japan, which still are not on the edge yet, so much music in all genres are still made, and weird a** movies too. And lets not just get started about the p0rn industry. But they have started feeling the pain too. Its an unstoppable reaction of internet.

PostPosted: 15 May 2014, 01:21 
Serious fan
Serious fan

This thread is a pretty good example of what people mean when they say "rose-tinted nostalgia".

I mean, yeah, it's a bit of a loss that independent media stores struggle to compete in today's world, but the shift to an internet-based market has given us access to a great deal literature, music, film and art in general that previously we would have never had been able to acquire, legal or otherwise.

If anything, this is the golden age for the independent artist. Anyone with a computer can get their work out there and that's a beautiful thing.

PostPosted: 15 May 2014, 02:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just received an email from Thomas Video.
They will be selling off stock until at least mid to late june.
If anyone is in their vicinity it would behoove one to check out their stock.
They have 1000's of LaserDiscs that need to find good homes.....
They are located at 14 mile and John R in Clawson Michigan.....
I have bought many from this reputable dealer.
They specialize in obscure and hard to find cult horror flicks.
Many common LaserDiscs if anyone is a new collector and needs a jumpstart on finding titles.

This is truly a big loss to the community, but they gave it a good run for over 40 years ......
They still have "GHOUL" posters if anyone remembers who he was !!!!!!
Great bunch of people who knew what customer service really means....
Hats off to all of them !!!

Thanks elahrairrah for sounding off on this topic .....

Last edited by firehorse_44 on 16 May 2014, 00:02, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Acta Non Verba .....
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum ....
Si Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc ......

PostPosted: 15 May 2014, 04:44 
Serious fan
Serious fan

"This thread is a pretty good example of what people mean when they say "rose-tinted nostalgia"."

So just give you the information and just forget about anyone who loses their job or their business? And it's all ok because now we have such an easy time finding great books, movies and music? That is pathetic.
The thrill of the hunt is almost gone, now with just a few google searches you can find whatever. For me sifting thru stacks of CD's or records or VHS tapes or books at a thrift store or flea market is much more fun and satisfying than just buying something online. I also like to talk with people at the stores I am at. I like having an experience other than sittin on my fat a$$ in front of a computer. I like to experience a little bit of life other than just posting to everyone on facebook about what I'd like to do, rather than actually doing it.

And just so you know, I am one of the ones who is responsible for getting you your great access to literature, music and movies. I sell online, for the last 8 years. I'm not just a weekend seller, I am full time, 6 1/2 days a week. I make a solid living from it as well. But things are changing and not for the better, IMO. Now you may say that this is odd. An online seller crying that small stores are going out of business. I'm mainly sad that these same small stores couldn't see that to survive they needed to get online and sell. The old "if you can't beat them join them". And now they're going away.

Sitting in front of a computer looking at listings will NEVER be as fun or gratifying as going to a record store or bookstore or video store. And for those who don't understand this, I have sympathy for you. Like the above mentioned poster.

PostPosted: 15 May 2014, 05:38 
True fan
True fan

I'm about 4hrs away North Royal Oak area........ :(

I don't know my laserdisc Titles as in terms of "Value" like most of you as my +/- 200 LD collection was hand picked on what I wanted and like to watch.

So I probably wouldn't be too useful in what to look for except the rare 1995 to 2000 USA titles(limited print) :( :(

Duane, MI

PostPosted: 15 May 2014, 16:00 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

hauntmedoitagain wrote:
This thread is a pretty good example of what people mean when they say "rose-tinted nostalgia".

Yes, it is nostalgia. And is there anything wrong with that? Especially on a message board that's all about discussing a pretty much obsolete form of media? :wtf:

It was the video store that gave me this love of owning a movie collection. Sure I loved going to the movie theater when I was younger, but things changed once my family purchased our first VCR in 1985. The concept of being able to watch a movie, especially older ones that weren't on TV much, when I wanted in the comfort of my own home? It boggled my mind back then. I no longer had to hope that some old horror movie or kung fu movie would be shown on TV. I could just go to the video store and rent it!

I'll never forget the first video rental shop I ever walked into--Video Image in Burlington, NJ. It was actually a few miles outside of the town we lived in. Rows upon rows of movies at your fingertips. They even had a Betamax section for rent! Can't tell you how many older movies I was able to watch back then where I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

Years later I moved on to owning VHS movies and starting a movie collection. Then onto getting an LD player and my collection moved onto LD collecting. My local video store at that time, Movies Unlimited in Cherry Hill, NJ, was still helpful with that as I could order LDs from them--and at a discounted price!!!

Would I have been a fervent movie fan and collector if it weren't for the video rental shop? Probably not. Do kids growing up nowadays want to own movies anymore when they can just stream whatever they want from Netflix? Or torrent it? Dunno about you, but someone showing me their movie collection and holding up a hard drive doesn't really impress me.

So now you might understand why it's nostalgic and a sad state of affairs that these venues are going the way of the dodo. Just because the internet has made the world a more convenient place, doesn't always mean its an overall better state of affairs.

PostPosted: 15 May 2014, 16:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

sure i can buy everything on the internet, but it was also nice to have face to face contact with other humans on this planet.

and there is the random factor of buying in stores, you walk down an isle or look in another catagory and find something that
you didn't plan on buying.

i've found many items even now going to used CD-DVD stores or even flea markets that i would have never even though of
buying online due to the random factor.

PostPosted: 15 May 2014, 20:47 
Serious fan
Serious fan

elahrairrah ---
Good post, agree 100%.

PostPosted: 16 May 2014, 15:32 
hauntmedoitagain wrote:

I mean, yeah, it's a bit of a loss that independent media stores struggle to compete in today's world, but the shift to an internet-based market has given us access to a great deal literature, music, film and art in general that previously we would have never had been able to acquire, legal or otherwise.

If anything, this is the golden age for the independent artist. Anyone with a computer can get their work out there and that's a beautiful thing.

In my post I left off with there are ups and downs to both sides to the way we consume now, and I agree it's wonderful that we have unfettered access to media.

I completely disagree with the "rose-tinted nostalgia" bit as that would be implying we remember it being something greater than it was. I don't think that's happening here, it's just nostalgia. Anyone that experienced good independent stores can attest that it's a much warmer experience than an iTunes could ever match.

I understand you're looking at like it was the dark ages which it absolutely wasn't, but we can easily turn it and say it's the "rose-tinted golden age" for the independent artist. So, we've lowered the cost of entry into the market, what has that done? Given us a sea of crap you're never going to buy or even bother to take for free. The competition now is literally everyone on planet earth with a computer, so if you're not offering something on this new level, you're probably not getting paid, if anyone is even willing to pay for it. You have instant access to a massive market of potential customers, and so does everyone else that has dreams of grandeur.

PostPosted: 16 May 2014, 16:14 
True fan
True fan

Just like Good ole Book and comic stores and Hobby Shops AD&D, etc.. All online and it use to be fun to walk in and adventure around at the latest and greatest Model Rockets and Cars,etc..

Now its all Disappeared or going quickly :thumbdown:

Just thought I would share my childhood of the good times!!!

PostPosted: 16 May 2014, 18:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

grasshopper wrote:
Just like Good ole Book and comic stores and Hobby Shops AD&D, etc.. All online and it use to be fun to walk in and adventure around at the latest and greatest Model Rockets and Cars,etc..

Now its all Disappeared or going quickly :thumbdown:

Just thought I would share my childhood of the good times!!!

agree with you on that :thumbup:

always miss those D&D stores.

PostPosted: 16 May 2014, 18:50 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Online streaming and downloads are nearly equaling Blu-ray sales already. Another 3-5 years, online downloads/streams will have the upper hand by far and buying Blu-ray/DVDs in stores will be something of the past.

Best Buy:
In less than 18 months the number of Blu-ray/DVD titles at BestBuy shrank %80. I anticipate in 2 years, they will disappear all together but maybe a small section for new releases.

Barnes & Noble:
By far has the best selection out of all media stores. From Criterion to Kino Lorber, you can find any title. In this regard, B&N let you enjoy the nostalgia of video stores in 1990s. Unfortunately B&N also reminds you the prices of 1990s. They price their DVD/BDs at MSRP which are ranging between $29.99-44.99. Even at their best sales with %50 off, you are still far apart from what other stores are selling these titles daily basis. No, they don't price match either, not even their own website!!!

Only larger B&N stores have media section. That's more like 1 out of 5 stores. 3 of those in my state replaced their media section with children books. If its not for Nook, they would long be gone out of business all together anyway but media will surely disappear in a couple years.

USED DVD/BD stores:
I notice a big decrease in size of their stocks lately. CDs are still going strong but cant say the same for movies. I anticipate another peak in used movie market once BD is dead. People will dump their BD collection for pennies each once they replaced them with online download/streaming codes. I know they buy CDs for 25-50cent each and usually sell for $1-3 which is a huge mark up. The same will happen to Blu-rays for a short period of time then people will move on.

In 10 years, all physical media will be specialty items. No store will carry them like Laserdiscs but you will be able to find them on eBay and such.

PostPosted: 16 May 2014, 18:56 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I swapped HDDs in my father in laws laptop. There were a couple of 2.5" sata drives sitting on my desk on top of each other. I looked at them briefly and said it would be cool if there was such medium for movies. Throw a sticker on the top plate with the films cover art. Use some custom formatting which is read only. 250GB HDD for 2hours raw video in RGB 4:4:4 and 5.1 audio in 24/96 PCM and 500GB for 4 hours with same specs. Probably $50 for 2hour film and $80 for longer ones. Keep it simple, have only the film on the drive. This would probably be the videophiles dream.

PostPosted: 16 May 2014, 19:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Recently, a video store in Stockholm called Casablanca announced that they'll close down by the end of May. I was there one day and met two journalists from a local magazine who interviewed me and asked me what I thought about physical video stores. This is how it all looked like (I'm the guy on the picture).

PostPosted: 16 May 2014, 21:21 
True fan
True fan

Cinema's get their movies sent to them on a encrypted USB stick, It must be a special stick or compression.. Im not sure if all do but that is what the local 1 screen cinema worker said last said to my Brother.

I know from a fellow who went on the Rd and flew out to setup Cinemas around 8 years ago and he told me they were running films on 11 HD's and though he said they were terabytes back then.. I guess I could g
Google it up but I remember he was setting up High End Cinemas using SNELL THX Ultra line which I'm sure Substance knows the "SNELL SPEAKER LINE" one of the first THX And THX Ultra for the Rich and Famous in the very early 90's and even in 1987 I believe...

Anyways, sorry to get off the topic, as Substance mention Hard Drive and that got me thinking.. :idea:

I figured all movies would go to a Rom Cartridges that would look like a old Atari, Colecovision game cartridge with a Copy Protection so you couldn't dump it and burn it to a blank ROM..(Just my 2 cents on what would be the next media format..

Page 1 of 4 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next