It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:58

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rogue Nation
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2015, 10:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Went to see the new MI movie :thumbup:

I am very impressed by this 5th episode.
It's one of the best so far.
I love the Opera scene. The movie makes you laugh ones in a while and features a chase that is mind blowing.

Storywise it could have been a 007 feature IMHO
The MI serie got a serious upgrade with this latest episode.

I recommend anyone to go watch it. you won't be bored for a second. :thumbup:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

Post subject: Re: Rogue Nation
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2015, 22:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I am going to see this at the local ODEON Cinema this coming weekend, or maybe Friday night.

I am really looking forward to seeing this installment.

Kind Regards and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us here Kris

:wave: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2015, 14:14 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Been to cinema first time since I BOYCOTTED around 2013.

Mission Impossible rouge nation. Before I bought ticket asked if it was in Dolby Digital as I not been in the smaller screens since mid 1995 and not often been in the smaller screens so wouldn't know if they might be Dolby Stereo 424.

£8.45 not too bad I thought the sound playback would be bad but it was good, I could feel the bass mid LCR direct and partly in the wooden floor. The LCR HF horns was comfortable not harsh or toppy, easy listening. Not sure if they where JBL behind the screen but I noticed for the surrounds x4 JBL control 28 two per side wall spaced apart 1/3rd back and on the back wall an usher checked and was JBL control 25 which is a model down from the 28.

I stood on the back seat and noticed DLP projector and image wasn't bad a bit a grain like texture at times and other scenes looked soft so might been a bit of 35mm and digital. If I squint my eyes softly I can make grain look like a DNR picture but I don't like DNR being used on DVD or bluray at all.

Also notice with light switched off in the projection box, I think a dts decode with small green LCD display and easily spotted a Dolby CP750 and I think the fader was at "7"? Maybe. So if the film was played at "7" which sounded easily above 85db in the bass and maybe +90db but the HF horns must have been around 85dbA peak or so as the level was comfortable which is how it should be. I don't like levels on HF horns going over 85db 90dbA starts to get uncomfortable.

Sat front row centre-line to the screen which was about roughly 12 or so odd foot or so more away.

DME over the LCR was clear I could easily hear the LR and centre DME was solid not weak sounding so no snags hearing soft sound effects to dialogue passages as well as portions of the discrete music mix.
Foley sound effects from body punches was cool like, when Ethan Hunt, is helped to escape by female, British secret service agent.

Oh the crazy plane scene I knew it was coming up at the start of the film when I saw the grass field, lol.

After seeing a real life live Bournemouth Air Show today down at Bournemouth beach, where I saw the Vulcan bomber doing some maneuvers, some vertical ones where the thrust roared like a rocket to thrust it upwards. The plane scene in the film different type of plane but the sound and engine sound frequency SPL over bass LCR had a liveliness. No subs installed in odeon screen 5, but the bass mid was satisfactory. I think I can loop the sound of that scene in my head for next 3 or 4 months and might buy the bluray, maybe, but due to near-field mixes and dubbing stages watering down the dynamics maybe a mission ImPass for bluray, its ether FAR FIELD THEATRICAL for the home or no buy.

The underwater scene to get some data file, wow that was a cool scene the heart-beating effect I could feel that and rush of water moving around the LCR and surrounds.

I'll give Rouge Nation 3.5 to 4 it wasn't STAR WARS that would get a solid 10.

The ticket office was slow. Few people lining up but the cashier was slower than snail and I seen real crowds in the days of STAR WARS for both screens 1 and 2 and lines was MEGA HUGE LONG for 3 performances each days.

Oh the lack of human dialogue panning on rouge nation gets a soundtrack rating of 2.5. Its not a summer blockbuster only cos ticket prices are dearer than the days of STAR WARS and no large crowds lining up outside like Feb 1978 for screen 1 and 2 where the lines went right around the block both sides for 3 performances per day. Think adult £1.80 and child 70p. Rouge Nation, £8.45 and box-office only one working on it and it was slow..... snail speed. Even days of STAR WARS the ticket office moved faster and there was thousands lined up and coming in. Now then! ;)

overall picture and film I'd give it a 3 not the 3.5 or 4, I'd give it a 3 now, it wasn't STAR WARS or THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK or RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK or INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE -- with dialogue panning on 70mm six-track DOLBY STEREO SS type SR. It was just tom cruise, sounding like mega mono sound.

So odds of buying MI rouge nation on bluray seems almost impossible as I will not tolerate near-field watered down dynamic range from these lying studios. Its ether THEATRICAL FAR FIELD or the highway with bluray and if you think 4k is gonna treat you any fairer? Me sorry, ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 06:27 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh well, Hong Kong was rainy on Sunday afternoon so I went to this M:I:5 at "The Grand" in Kowloon.

SONY 4K digital theater + Dolby Atmos, I was a little excited about it!

I'll just concentrate on the video and audio, and leave comments on the movie itself (that I enjoyed as a good old-style James Bond movie) on the side.

PICTURE

The amount of mosquito noise on the skin, background and dark scene was huge, to the point of becoming distracting.
Is 4K compressed so much it starts resembling badly mastered DVDs?

SOUND

Bad luck again, one of the rear speaker was broken and cracked during the whole movie.
Also the seat were obviously built on some sort of sub-woofer floor and would shake at ANY bass coming from the movie.
When a car crashes or a gun fight develops, I don't mind being shaken a little.
But being sent vibration for any sort of bass sound is also becoming a distraction from the movie itself.

If this is where the movie theaters are going to... then I'm better off staying home :-)
Ticket cost US$13.50 there (HK$105).

And when Ethan Hunt gets to listen to the mission message in an "audiophile listening booth" in a vinyl shop, he should have known that something was strange: they were using a Technics 1200 turntable for that job, which is a DJ turntable, not a jazz/classical fan gear!!

Julien

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 12:40 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

admin wrote:
Oh well, Hong Kong was rainy on Sunday afternoon so I went to this M:I:5 at "The Grand" in Kowloon.

SONY 4K digital theater + Dolby Atmos, I was a little excited about it!

I'll just concentrate on the video and audio, and leave comments on the movie itself (that I enjoyed as a good old-style James Bond movie) on the side.

PICTURE

The amount of mosquito noise on the skin, background and dark scene was huge, to the point of becoming distracting.
Is 4K compressed so much it starts resembling badly mastered DVDs?

SOUND

Bad luck again, one of the rear speaker was broken and cracked during the whole movie.
Also the seat were obviously built on some sort of subwoofer floor and would shake at ANY bass coming from the movie.
When a car crashes or a gun fight develops, I don't mind being shaken a little.
But being sent vibration for any sort of bass sound is also becoming a distraction from the movie itself.

If this is where the movie theaters are going to... then I'm better off staying home :-)
Ticket cost US$13.50 rhere (HK$105).

And when Ethan Hunt gets to listen to the mission message in an "audiophile listening booth" in a vinyl shop, he should have known that something was strange: they were using a Technics 1200 turntable for that job, which is a DJ turntable, not a jazz/classical fan gear!!

Julien

£8.50 for crackled sound. Should have gone to odoen screen 4 for £8.45 and no crackled sound and no sub bass miss-matched back surrounds to the sidewall surrounds. Yeah, better to stay at home today. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 19:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This all might be true but how did you guys like the movie? :)
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 20:50 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I watched this one on Blu-ray before going to see Mission Impossible: Fallout this past weekend.

Really glad that I did since Fallout was pretty much a direct sequel to Rogue Nation unlike previous installments.

I enjoyed both a lot.

Don't know why but I felt the need to see Fallout after not really being too interested in previous installments (so I binged all of them in the previous weeks.)

Saw Fallout in Dolby Cinema. The sound was beyond amazing (great bass and separations), but the picture in dark scenes was oddly messed up. There were breakups and tiling (in this day and age?!?!) in the darkest spots.

So much for all the touting of the contrasts and deep blacks of Dolby Cinema prior to the film!!

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 22:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

How long do you guys think before I have to put Far and Away on the same basement shelf as my Cosby records?

Serious question. The days of David Miscavige and the Church are numbered, eventually all the unpleasant truths Cruise’s fans chose to look the other way on every time one of these movies comes out will be drawn into the news machine. Video of someone beating someone or something will emerge and it will all be over. When do you think? How many more MI movies?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 22:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
How long do you guys think before I have to put Far and Away on the same basement shelf as my Cosby records?

Serious question. The days of David Miscavige and the Church are numbered, eventually all the unpleasant truths Cruise’s fans chose to look the other way on every time one of these movies comes out will be drawn into the news machine. Video of someone beating someone or something will emerge and it will all be over. When do you think? How many more MI movies?

Amazed it has not happened before now.

When the s**t really hits the fan it will be interesting but till then they will keep coming.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 22:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sorry but I see that the word s**t was "censored" - I was not wishing to cause offence.

I will not use the word s**t or f**k or any other b*****d swear words again.

Cheers

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]