It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:41

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Restaurants you miss or are now few and far between
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019, 23:42 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Here's an odd conversation starter. What restaurants did you used to enjoy that aren't around anymore or are hard to find?

This all came about because of a conversation with my Father a few months ago. He said he used to like to go to this one chain of steakhouses called Tad's Steaks and that they're no longer around.

Only for me to find a location in New York City that even offered the same items after 50+ years.

Another one is Ponderosa. Went to these many times when I was a kid, but they all disappeared in the 90s.

So it was really surprising that I found one in Orlando, FL on my last trip to Disneyworld. And everything tasted exactly how I remember it!

Lastly, Howard Johnson's. Apparently there's only one location left so my brother and I last year drove the 5 hours to Lake George, NY to check it out. I don't remember the restaurant very much as they started closing up when was aged in single digits. Still pretty neat to visit a hanger on of a bygone age.

Attachment:
hojo.jpg
hojo.jpg [ 107.52 KiB | Viewed 3289 times ]

Any restaurants you miss?

Post subject: Re: Restaurants you miss or are now few and far between
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 00:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I miss going to any place that doesn’t have 90 TVs blasting fake news, fake sports, or anything else ad driven. So anyplace really as long as it’s the pre-cheap TV version of it. You can’t even pump gas without some jerk trying to sell you something on a TV now.

Mr Hotdog. With the giant choochoo train in the middle of it. I’d go there.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 00:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

There was a Matsuya Gyudon in Sydney Australia for a while, miss that, I used to get a beef bowl to eat on the road coach home a lot of weekends.

Miss dine in Pizza Huts here.

I really got into "fami-resu" in suburban Japan. There are so many ancient ones with original decor from the bubble era. I went to one of the few remaining Sky Larks in Saitama once just coz it had a Macross promotion in the '80s. Usually just terrible imitations of Western food at these places but if you go for the katsu curry rice or something you're pretty safe.

Little Caesers came here to Australia a couple years back, I love it but the joints are waaay out in the suburbs of Sydney and hard to get to without a car

Do they still have Roy Rogers in the USA? My family used to like that for the unlimited salad bar. Homeless people used to ask you for your plate after you were finished.

Last edited by Anonymous on 15 Jan 2019, 04:41, edited 1 time in total. _________________
SONY MDP-355GX, DVDO iscan VP50, SONY KVHR-M36

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 01:03 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

forper wrote:
There was a Matsuya Gyudon in Sydney Australia for a while, miss that, I used to get a beef bowl to eat on the road coach home a lot of weekends.

They don't have dine in Pizza Huts in Australia anymore?

When I visited in '97 while in the Navy, my friends and I would hit those for lunch as they had the cheap lunch buffet special.

forper wrote:
I really got into "fami-resu" in suburban Japan. There are so many ancient ones with original decor from the bubble era. I went to one of the few remaining Sky Larks in Saitama once just coz it had a Macross promotion in the '80s. Usually just terrible imitations of Western food at these places but if you go for the katsu curry rice or something you're pretty safe.

Little Caesers came here to Australia a could years back, I love it but the joints are waaay out in the suburbs of Sydney and hard to get to without a car

Do they still have Roy Rogers in the USA? My family used to like that for the unlimited salad bar. Homeless people used to ask you for your plate after you were finished.

Matter of factly, they just started opening some stand alone Roy Rogers in NJ in the last year. Before that, you could only find them at rest stops on the NJ Turnpike.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 02:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Pizza Hut in the US has moved several notches downward since I worked there in 1991. The menues are smaller and basically it seems like they just want to be Little Caeser’s now which is sort of weird since Little Ceaser’s is literally the worst chain by a significant margin.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 02:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Dominos is pretty awful too.

Several gas stations here now have obnoxious screens at the pump blasting ads as well. I avoid going to those stations but I am sure it won't be too long before it's at all of them.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 03:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

After that campaign a few years ago where they basically admitted their pizza sucked Domino’s moved like half a point up.

Ceaser’s could easily move beyond Domino’s if only they hadn’t conditioned their customers to never pay more than $6 for a pizza. That really holds them back. I go in there and buy a large pizza, breadsticks, and a 2L of soda and it’s like $11.50. That’s thin, man.

Recently my favorite pizza place (RIP Belle’s Pizza) went out of business and was replaced with a high tech prototype Domino’s. I live in Ann Arbor which is Domino’s origin but still it kinda sucks. It doesn’t suck too bad though obviously since Ann Arbor, like most college towns, has more legit pizza places to eat at than you’d ever be able to try so there’s no point in eating at those crappy chains.

Here we have Pizza House...which is crazy awesome good and the only place that will deliver not only pizza but also banana shakes and beer up to 4:00am. When I first moved here I must have spent $2k there in my first year.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 04:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
forper wrote:

They don't have dine in Pizza Huts in Australia anymore?

I heard there's actually still one in Sydney CBD and they're thinking of relaunching them but yeah they've been gone for 15 years.

There are so many other options in Sydney tho I never checked it out. If you ever get back check out Gumshara Ramen, that s**t is unbelievable. It's like drinking a pork sandwich. Best tonkotsu Ramen I ever had and I lived in Japan for like 7 years.

I guess I like Little Caesers coz it's the only deep dish stuff you can get here. It is cheap here too.

All those places sound awesome Zeta, American food is amazing. I always wanted to be in America when Jay Z would rap about doin 'hos all night and then going to the waffle house. I wish I had a waffle house to go to..

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 05:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:

I wish I had a waffle house to go to..

No, you really don't.

Unless you have actually been to one and somehow like it :wtf:

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 05:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
After that campaign a few years ago where they basically admitted their pizza sucked Domino’s moved like half a point up.

Ceaser’s could easily move beyond Domino’s if only they hadn’t conditioned their customers to never pay more than $6 for a pizza. That really holds them back. I go in there and buy a large pizza, breadsticks, and a 2L of soda and it’s like $11.50. That’s thin, man.

Recently my favorite pizza place (RIP Belle’s Pizza) went out of business and was replaced with a high tech prototype Domino’s. I live in Ann Arbor which is Domino’s origin but still it kinda sucks. It doesn’t suck too bad though obviously since Ann Arbor, like most college towns, has more legit pizza places to eat at than you’d ever be able to try so there’s no point in eating at those crappy chains.

Here we have Pizza House...which is crazy awesome good and the only place that will deliver not only pizza but also banana shakes and beer up to 4:00am. When I first moved here I must have spent $2k there in my first year.

Definitely some really good pizza in SE Michigan. Most of my family still lives there so I visit a fair bit. I haven't been there in years, but I liked Tivoli's in Utica. Pricey though for sure.

Where I live (KS) there isn't anywhere that can remotely compete with most places I've been to in MI. KC has some okay restaurants but it's far, so I cook a lot.

rein-o wrote:
forper wrote:

No, you really don't.

Yeah, Waffle House is next to McDonalds on my list. Never going to either.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 08:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The best places to eat in the US are the “family diner” places where they serve breakfast 24/7 and have generic American food like burgers and soup and pie and the kind of coffee people used to drink before coffee went to $4 and 400 cal per cup. Those places are the best. There’re basically all the same with their chrome stools and malted milkshakes and red plastic tumblers and beer by the pitcher. From New Jersey to Iowa to Kentucky to San Francisco those places are everywhere. You should not eat there every day! But when you’re on the road for a solid day and you’re sick to death of Taco Bell and gas station cupcakes those places are an oasis.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 04:34 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

rein-o wrote:
forper wrote:

No, you really don't.

Hey! I like Waffle House!!!

This guy basically speaks my mind on Waffle House

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 04:49 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

signofzeta wrote:
Pizza Hut in the US has moved several notches downward since I worked there in 1991. The menues are smaller and basically it seems like they just want to be Little Caeser’s now which is sort of weird since Little Ceaser’s is literally the worst chain by a significant margin.

To be honest, being from NJ, I'm not the biggest fan of Pizza Hut. Especially since there are so many BETTER pizza options just down the road.

And I tend to avoid any chain pizza place for that reason.

Just that in Australia, the PH buffet was a good value for us poor sailors.

And also it sucked that my buddies weren't adventurous eaters, so we were always eating at burger, pizza and steak joints no matter where we went.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 07:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

What, don't like Pizza Hut's big New York style pizza?

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 16:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

my parents took me to ORGAN GRINDER PIZZA a few times back in the late-80's when we were still living in my hometown of PORTLAND, OR.

it was one of the last remnants of the pipe organ pizza parlor restaurant model of the 60's/70's...

http://www.uniquely-portland-oregon.com ... pizza.html

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 16:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That was delightful.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 00:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:
my parents took me to ORGAN GRINDER PIZZA a few times back in the late-80's when we were still living in my hometown of PORTLAND, OR.

it was one of the last remnants of the pipe organ pizza parlor restaurant model of the 60's/70's...

http://www.uniquely-portland-oregon.com ... pizza.html

I had a couple of birthdays at Chuck E Cheese in the mid '80s in the US. Same model, organ grinder was the original? They still have that place over there?

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 00:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah. I was in a Chuck E Cheese about a year ago. The pizza is generic but decent. Virtually all of the machines are redemption based. It sucks.

In the last couple of years the amusement industry is coming back a little. Lots and lots of redemption but now the games are starting to become more than just “hit the button and win/lose”. That gigantic new Space Invaders with the low res vert LED display is pretty impressive in person. So is that Pac Man air hockey thing with like 100 pucks at once.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 06:48 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Last time I was in a Chuck E Cheese was about a year and a half ago with my then girlfriend. We ordered the Macaroni and Cheese Pizza. I thought I was going to hate it, but it pretty tasty in a make you feel like a kid again type of way. Probably way worse for you than regular pizza though.

As far as the aforementioned Diner's go, NJ is the Diner capital of the world, so I had no shortage of them. Even in Eastern PA, there are still quite a few diners around here. Though some of them can really suck. Like literally just reheating canned and frozen food suck.

So make sure you read reviews before you try them.

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]