It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:00

Page 3 of 7 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Are CRT TV in demand in the Laser Disc community?
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 04:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It was the first run which apparently was a test run sale item only available in NY and LA.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 04:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well, stand-alone retail copies of US Super Mario Bros are extremely uncommon when compared to the pack-in version or anything combined with Duck Hunt, Power Pad, whatever. I’m not sure how or why anyone would have bought one since there was no way to get a NES without that game in the beginning, I’m pretty sure.

The ROM is of course the same as the other 29 million copies sold in North America so it’s nearly worthless in any other way.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 05:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

gypsy wrote:
Yep. Heritage and WATA are in cahoots. Doing a bunch of bs to make the news rounds.

:sick: sad.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 06:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I have 3 arcade machines myself - cocktail Taito Space Invaders and ct Arkanoid (converted Midway Pacman), and an Asteroids in great shape. Vector games in particular really need the original, as you will never match a vector monitor in emulation. Space makes it hard to collect them without a big basement, garage or other shed (of which I have none, the machines are right in my house).

The retrogaming thing is overblown - feels like a meme. Prices on stuff from NES on are ridiculous, driven by "e celeb" videos and a few forums. This is not generational nostalgia, as many of these kids were not even around for this stuff during their childhood. Playing arcade ports is indeed odd compared to the real thing...an SNES Neogeo game, really? Console originals like RPGs or cheap JP market Saturn classics (e.g. Rayearth, Sakura Wars) make more sense. Neo Geo AES is madness at this point as well next to MVS. Sadly, this retrogaming thing had bled over into pricing on Jamma boards of the era (witness something like TMNT) which used to be scoffed at by the old guard arcade collectors of the Atari era stuff that would sell an SF2 board for like $20 back in the day. Paying a fortune for pro video monitors. I have a copy of the US Snatcher Sega CD that I paid $5 for at a flea market, and it's nuts to see it climbing toward $1k.

It's notable that the pre-crash generation of consoles never had a fad like this - no cute sprite recognition, game endings, or hipster hype equals cheap collecting. Sealed Atari carts are still cheap next to the $100s for the NES equivalent. I have stuff like a heavy 6er 2600, Intellvision, 5200, 7800, and just got a Fairchild Channel F (the first cart system with a CPU). Nice way to collect for cheap, while using emulation for the high dollar post crash stuff.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 07:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The only ridicilously expensive NES cart I'd want is Flintstones: Surprise at Dinosaur Peak, and it has nothing to do with the cart's rarity and/or value; I just remember enjoying it a bit more than Rescue of Dino & Hoppy, because I had classmates with both.

I still wonder what happened to their copy.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 14:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

harlock wrote:
I have 3 arcade machines myself - cocktail Taito Space Invaders and ct Arkanoid (converted Midway Pacman), and an Asteroids in great shape. Vector games in particular really need the original, as you will never match a vector monitor in emulation. Space makes it hard to collect them without a big basement, garage or other shed (of which I have none, the machines are right in my house).

The retrogaming thing is overblown - feels like a meme. Prices on stuff from NES on are ridiculous, driven by "e celeb" videos and a few forums. This is not generational nostalgia, as many of these kids were not even around for this stuff during their childhood. Playing arcade ports is indeed odd compared to the real thing...an SNES Neogeo game, really? Console originals like RPGs or cheap JP market Saturn classics (e.g. Rayearth, Sakura Wars) make more sense. Neo Geo AES is madness at this point as well next to MVS. Sadly, this retrogaming thing had bled over into pricing on Jamma boards of the era (witness something like TMNT) which used to be scoffed at by the old guard arcade collectors of the Atari era stuff that would sell an SF2 board for like $20 back in the day. Paying a fortune for pro video monitors. I have a copy of the US Snatcher Sega CD that I paid $5 for at a flea market, and it's nuts to see it climbing toward $1k.

It's notable that the pre-crash generation of consoles never had a fad like this - no cute sprite recognition, game endings, or hipster hype equals cheap collecting. Sealed Atari carts are still cheap next to the $100s for the NES equivalent. I have stuff like a heavy 6er 2600, Intellvision, 5200, 7800, and just got a Fairchild Channel F (the first cart system with a CPU). Nice way to collect for cheap, while using emulation for the high dollar post crash stuff.

Atari had a collecting boom, I remember it. But then it, humorously enough, crashed again so to speak.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 18:29 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Why would I want to pay 10-100 x times the "used media shop price" just to own a collectable that will reduce in selling price if you actually try to enjoy it as anything other than an investment?

Heck, most times, I don’t even pay the "used media store price". I go to the local goodwill and see what people donated.

But it seems like after the Macklemore song "Thirft Shop" became popular, the days for finding a $10 Laser Disc player that works in the wild or a $5 Astrocade that works in the wild are over, both of which I found. Now it seems like most of the games at Goodwill now are sports titles, and Wii shovelware.

I try to "feel for plastic among the cardboard" to quickly pick out laser discs among records. The last time I found a laser disc among the records was Toy Story THX/DD 5.1 copy in a 2005 thrift store visit.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 21:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I guess when a person gets to the point where they feel like spending a lot of money on something they’ve wanted all their life it doesn’t always make sense. If they spent $100k on a rare car or a fabergé egg or wine nobody will blink. When poor trash somehow get some money but have zero culture they’re going to waste it on something dumb and common like Mario Bros.

I would probably do it with hifi and watches and maybe even eggs but I still have 20 years left to pay on my house so I try to stay more practical for now.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 23:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The best was that sale of NES Stadium Events for something like $50000. Later, someone posted pictures of a master shipping box from Bandai full of new copies of said title. These are mass produced things, after all, however "rare" some shady poster claims them as.

Can definitely see hifi stuff as a better expression of the materialist drive :) I would collect some Accuphase or a classic Levinson 23.5 and of course an X0 LD player given the $. Nagra tape recorders as well - they satisfy that Swiss watch itch, being made to the same tier in Switzerland - give me an SNST-R stereo pocket recorder (God's own iPod, that little reel to reel was well over $10k when Kudelski reissued a few years back), a 4.2, an IV-S, a Nagra D digital rtr, and that high point of VTR legend, the Ampex/Nagra VPR-5 (MOMA has one on display as an artwork).

Or Vincent Gallo's circa 1930 Western Electric theater system in the picture. Saw just a pair of the big amps on the bottom of those racks sell for almost $100k a few years back. Probably the only system like that outside the penthouse of a Japanese executive at this point. Cooler than a wall of NES carts, I would say.

Attachments:
gallo we.jpg
gallo we.jpg [ 95.71 KiB | Viewed 2404 times ]

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 00:02 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Poor dog has to be with such a sad person.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 00:24 
Honest fan
Honest fan

harlock wrote:
The best was that sale of NES Stadium Events for something like $50000. Later, someone posted pictures of a master shipping box from Bandai full of new copies of said title. These are mass produced things, after all, however "rare" some shady poster claims them as.

The truly rarest game that ever existed was either made to order in the Atari 2600 days, or so unwanted Goodwill didn't want 990 of them copies at once. It sold in one particular magazine via mail order and sold single digit copies.

It was Red Sea Crossing.

Finding an original copy with the original Dale Evans vinyl record and all the other parts is hard. The only things I see on ebay are reproductions and once an original loose cartridge and that went for $10k.

It may not be the most valuable game, but it’s the rarest. Stadium events became "World Class Track Meet" which costs more to ship than to actually buy under that name.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 03:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Rare isn’t rare until you’re down to zero known copies, like SNK’s version of Yosaku. If anyone anywhere has this PCB they’re keeping it secret.

There are probably hundreds of proto arcade machines that only ever existed as unique examples because the game didn’t get put into production. Then there are machines that are so massive they only make a few, like a R360 version of Oratorio Tangram, which I think is unique. Maybe it has a twin so you can versus? I don’t remember.

Then there are things like Computer Space which, while not unique, has way more market because it’s the “first” video arcade game.

And you know what? NONE of these games are probably worth $100,000.

Last edited by signofzeta on 21 Feb 2019, 05:35, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 03:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I probably came up with the rarest ACTUALLY RELEASED game, which either had less than 10 made, or had something like a 1000 made and had 990 destroyed because even goodwill didn’t want video games after the crash of 1984.

Single digit distribution is tough to beat, only beaten by things that were prototypes, or things blocked for legal reasons, and stuff like that.

Hey @SignOfZeta is SNK’s Yosaku an arcade game? Is it a home game? Is it one of those either/or Neo Geo ones? Was it released? Was it blocked for legal reasons? Tell us more.

But for a home game that was actually offered to the public on a system that was contemporary, if someone can come with a result of selling less than 10 copies, then it’s in Red Sea Crossing’s league.

And yes I understand Arcade games are rarer because it’s easier and cheaper to press even a single cartridge than to build an arcade game with custom components. So for home games, Red Sea Crossing is unicorn rare.

Equally rare is Atlantis II, a special copy of Atlantis that had to be won. There were like very few copies (I heard the number was 7) players that tied the highest possible score in an Atlantis contest, so those people were sent a special tiebreaker copy which was way harder. That’s probably the only skill-based, open to all, but won by few, copy of a game in existence. And that’s worth $6000 as of 2010 according to Wikipedia.

But Red Sea Crossing was the only contemporary game that reached Atlantis II's rarity. But even if the actual Stadium Events is rare, it did get released in another form: World Class Track Meet, which is more expensive to ship than to buy. It’s just a title variation rarity.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 04:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yosaku is an arcade game SNK made in...the old days, one of their earliest things. Maybe 1979? It’s made more confusing by there being other games called Yosaku.

https://youtu.be/FpR4J7yT0P4

This is the only video of the arcade version I know of. All the others are ports.

You can play this game, a port of it anyway, if you put your copy of Battle de Paradise in a black and white NGP. It will play a hidden version of Yosaku instead of BdP (which requires a color machine).

A guy I know found out from a guy neither of us know that a specific Japanese arcade had this game somewhat recently but it’s not there anymore and no humans work there. So maybe there is a copy. Maybe that’s not even true.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 07:11 
Serious fan
Serious fan

One 2600 game was sold by a guy that peddled it door to door in a few certain neighborhoods, and that was pretty much it.

This Exidy color vector game, in a motion cockpit yet, would push all the arcade collector's buttons if one was ever found: http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=992

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 14:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I had a guy sell me some copy jamma boards of Ms Pacman back in the day.
So as long as someone has the program they can make chips and boards.

Rare is stuff like art and one of a kind stuff.
100,000 dollar video games are more in league with Kostabi not real artists.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 16:20 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I watch LDs on a CRT, but that's because it's the only TV I have. I got into LD and VHS in part because I wanted to watch movies on the nice CRT I already had for retrogaming purposes.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 17:53 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
Well, stand-alone retail copies of US Super Mario Bros are extremely uncommon when compared to the pack-in version or anything combined with Duck Hunt, Power Pad, whatever. I’m not sure how or why anyone would have bought one since there was no way to get a NES without that game in the beginning, I’m pretty sure.

The ROM is of course the same as the other 29 million copies sold in North America so it’s nearly worthless in any other way.

Actually, during a trip to King’s Island, my brother bought an NES in the summer of 1985 when we went to a suburban Cincinnatti Toys R Us, back when Toys R Us wasn’t even in the Cleveland area. (We had Children’s Palace, Lionel Kiddie City, and Kay Bee’s back then, but no Toys R Us)

We had to buy Super Mario Brothers separately, because all they had was simply "The Nintendo Entertainment System", which had ROB, a Zapper, Gyromite, and Duck Hunt.

I have never seen an NES anywhere in Cleveland, so we were like literally the first ones to get it in our neighborhood to get one. And Super Mario Bros was the game that sold the system in his mind.

So I don’t know if Nintendo was smart to NOT bundle Super Mario, because we bought it separately, they sold us a light gun, and a ROB, which we weren’t seeking out, just to play Super Mario Bros..

Speaking of top selling non-pack-in games, based on my memory, the number one non-pack-in game released on day one ever was Genesis Ghouls N Ghosts, which singlehandedly sold out Genesises. Meanwhile, the Turbo Grafx 16, which came out the same day, was stuck on the shelves for a long time.

And that was beaten by Super Mario 64, and most recently beaten by Nintendo Switch’s Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild. But in both of those cases, there were 4 or less games released. On N64, the only other day one game was Pilotwings 64. Switch had very little other than Zelda, but actually I was more excited about playing Bomberman with my friends. Just call me a social butterfly coming out of his cocoon. I wanted to bring back the Saturn Bomberman days, except online.

And in both the N64 and Switch’s case, there was no pack in game. Witht the switch, you could just buy games on the Nintendo Shop. N64 is worse, where if you bought a system, but no game, all you can do is plug it in and watch the red light one the system go on. Not even an OS screen. If you plugged it in, it just turned off the snow if you used RF. Genesis had Altered Beast packed in, and the TG16 had Keith Courage packed in. So considering it wasn’t a forced-on choice, that was the first must-buy-yet-optional game.

The PS1, the Dreamcast, and the PS2 didn’t really have one defining title on day one. The PS1 (which I ignored until both the Saturn and N64 slowed down) and Dreamcast (day one) had PLENTY of choices on day 1, and the PS2 (in my opinion) was just the world’s cheapest DVD player combined with a good-quality DVD player at the time. I wasn’t excited about the PS2 like I was the Dreamcast.

And that’s because I didn’t chinse out and used CD-Rs but instead bought the genuine GD-ROMs. By the way, everyone who bought GD-ROMs loved the Dreamcast. Everyone who used CD-Rs hated the Dreamcast. There ain’t nothing like the real thing!

But Ghouls N Ghosts is impressive as the best non-pack-in day one game considering it was competing not only against quite a few other Genesis games, but Turbo Grafx games too and THEIR Day One.

Can anyone think of a better or more popular Day One game? Not counting pack-ins like Colecovision Donkey Kong.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 21:06 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I remember the big sets with ROB and the Zapper. I thought those came with Mario but perhaps not.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2019, 15:08 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

rein-o wrote:
Well if you have space for a 300lbs CRT then you have space for a 19" upright or cocktail table with a Jamma connector and the 3 major buttons you would use.
Then just plug and unplug your boards.

Maybe so, but not for a 6-slot Neo Geo cabinet.

That thing was HUGE.

Page 3 of 7 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next