It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:00

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Vintage PIONEER CD Players; who own's one?
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2019, 13:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i have several, with the 1988 ELITE PD-91 and 1987 ELITEE PD-M90X Changer as my main-liners, still fine sounding and perfect in operation to this moment. how about you guys?

Post subject: Re: Vintage PIONEER CD Players; who own's one?
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2019, 14:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I use an Oppo. At some point I would like to get a high quality standalone CD player but it's not a super high want.

Love the look of this old Pioneer gear.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2019, 19:06 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I actually need a CD player but I haven’t gotten around to getting one. I have so many LD players and game systems and computers and portables that I’ve never owned a standard rack sized deck. I need one for my kid so I was thinking about those 80s NADs with the colorful buttons.

The price of the units (which I love, btw) depicted is now quite crazy and while I’m sure they sound great there are massively better DACs these days, at least in the mind of people who know such things. It’s pretty bad a** to have external power supplies and a copper case but it’s also, somewhat sadly, totally pointless. I’m mainly concerned with the interface since any clown company can make a CD player that is at least decent sounding. I need a deep drawer that the disc easily centers in, not a lot of extra dumb on the screen. I’d love something that wasn’t Japanese, frankly.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2019, 22:28 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I'm currently using my Pioneer DVD-V8000 as my main CD player. Not exactly vintage or a CD player but it works well.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2019, 07:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've got a Sony CDP-991 from 1989. One step down from Sony ES in build quality. You can't beat those '80s players for robust and super fast response and load times. Sounds great too but I mainly use the digital out to better DACs

I've got a modern Sony SACD player too and even with redbook it's so lethargic cueing up or doing anything. The buttons feel cheaper and everything just sucks in general. The only reason I have it is it plays SACDs..

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2019, 11:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ooh s**t that Pioneer magazine loader is cool tho..

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2019, 14:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

it's a beautiful piece, the 1987 upscale ELITE/REFERENCE version of their 1986 STANDARD LINE model PD-M70.

PIONEER's best built CD magazine changer of all-time, it is built like a tank, and remarkably quiet and smooth in operation, especially for a CD changer.

it also sounds pretty good for it's age. it is one of the centerpieces of my working collection.

they don't make ANYTHING like these kings of CD players anymore, except at perhaps the multi-thousand-dollar esoteric Audio High-End,
and, even then, it is doubtful any of today's high-end CD playback devices are built well enough to keep on going after three decades-plus
like these ancient paragons of a bygone age of quality and workmanship in A/V and Hi-Fi components...

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2019, 07:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yep my most hated comment in general about older stuff is "it was good for the time" or similar. There's a reason great artists from 400 years ago are still called "the masters". Japanese consumer product manufacturers from the '80s and early '90s were our "masters" and many of the products will always be masterpieces. Remember also that most of the Masters of great art had studios with a lot of apprentices churning out art that was overseen by the master.

There's also something cooler about owning a product from the likes of Pioneer or Sony, perhaps one of 10s of thousands produced vs owning an esoteric hand made piece of audio gear from a niche company.

I mean someone might make a custom limited to 10 pieces pair of sneakers that cost $10,000 and are made with the best materials and look really cool but I'd rather wear the best Jordans, I feel cooler in them because there's brand recognition, you feel part of something..you're in a cool kids club with thousands of others, not 9 others.

Anyway I think anything Pioneer or Sony from that era looks waaay better than your weirdo snob niche audio brands.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2019, 04:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I would love to have a PD-91 or PD-93.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]