It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:47

Page 1 of 11 [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer produced
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019, 18:35 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Media sections in brick and mortar stores are shrinking or disappearing each passing year. Perhaps soon the disc production will stop and the streaming media will be the only option. I am sure the used market for physical media will live forever however what alternatives do we have for new movies? I compiled the list of online streaming and download services. I also listed some media players to use these services.

Hardware Background:

High Dynamic Range(HDR): HDR offers up to 10000 nits of peak brightness. Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) used in previous video formats from Standard Definition (SD) to High Definition (HD) offered only 100 nits peak brightness.

Rec.2020: It covers up to 75% of visible light spectrum. Rec.709 color gamut standard used in HD video only covered 35% of visible light spectrum.

Note: Although 4K UHD format supports Rec.2020, there are currently no displays that can reach to this potential. The very best displays cover 50% to 60% of visible light spectrum as of 2023.

Note 2: Most film content are graded for 1000 nits or 4000 nits. There are very few displays that can reach 4000 nits of peak brightness therefore most display will tone map HDR content to fit their capabilities using different algorithms.

HDR10: Free license, 10 bit encoded video, static metadata
HDR10+: same as HDR10 but adds dynamic(per scene) metadata
DV: Requires Dolby license, 12 bit encoded video, dynamic metadata
HLG: Free license, similar to HDR10, designed for broadcast TV

HDMI 2.0: 10.2Gbps bandwitdh = up to 4K24-HDR in 12 bit, 4K60 in 8 bit
HDMI 2.0b: 18 Gbps bandwitdh = up to 4K60-HDR in 12 bit

Dolby Atmos: Object based audio format, 7.1.4ch is typical but 9.1.24 exist in very high end setups.
DTS X: Similar to Dolby Atmos.

Note: Dolby Atmos and DTS X are similar in capabilities however their suggested speaker layouts are incompatible with each other.

Apple TV 4K:

HDMI 2.0b, HDR, DV and Dolby Atmos capable. It runs on Apple OS TV. Includes almost all major streaming services. iTunes store and upcoming Apple TV+ are Apple TV exclusives. It can display native 4K content and upscale SD and HD content to 4K. Frame rates can be set to auto switch between 24 and 60 frames depending on content.

Update: Apple released the 3rd generation Apple TV last year. It has higher processing power, a newer HDMI chipset, and more on board storage.

Tivo Bolt:

HDMI 2.0b, HDR and Dolby Atmos capable. Netflix, Prime, Vudu, Hulu, HBO Go, Starz and a few others. Includes Plex app. Universal search is its biggest advantage. You can search for a movie, artist, or director and it will list you where their content is available including cable tv. For example, do a search for the movie “Alien”, it will tell you Fox will show it on Thursday at 7 pm and it’s available to rent and buy from Amazon Prime and Vudu. Another major advantage of TiVo Bolt is its source direct mode. It will display contents in their original resolution and frame rate. Also has a 500GB to 3TB built in storage to record cable or on air TV.

Update: TiVo Edge replaced Bolt a couple of years ago. It is similar to Bolt but can skip commercials on recorded content (cable or antenna only).

Nvidia Shield:

Similar to Apple TV. It runs on Google TV OS. Ideal for Plex due to its high processing power and ability to bitstream Dolby Atmos audio.

Roku:

Similar to Apple TV but cheaper. It has its own Roku OS. It has much less processing power than Apple TV and Nvidia Shield.

Kaleidescape:

Kaleidescape is a closed platform with its own dedicated hardware, operating system and the content store. The current hardware line up includes Terra Prime servers and the Strato C player. Terra Prime servers come in 10TB to 88TB configurations that can hold 150 to 1500 4K movies in high bitrate respectively. Terra Prime SSD servers come in 8TB and 31TB configuration that can hold 125 to 500 4K movies in high bitrate respectively. SSD models consume less power, much more quiet and they can serve up to 25 players. HDD models are cheaper, offer larger storage and they can serve up to 10 players simultaneously. Up to 4 servers can be included in a single system for up to 6000 4K movie library.

Kaleidescape has an older Premiere line up which support up to 1080p content. It can download content up to 1080p from the Kaleidescape store. It can import (rip) DVDs and Blu-ray discs using its Premiere disc players and Premiere disc servers to Premiere servers. Due to licensing agreements, the physical discs are required to be present inside a player or disc server for imported content to be played. Disc servers can hold up to 320 discs. Up to 10 disc servers can be included in a single system. Premiere servers range from 4TB to 72TB storage size which can hold 200 to 2000 Blu-ray disc imports or HD downloads. Multiple Premiere Servers can be included in a single system for very large movie libraries.

Kaleidescape Co-Star is a HDMI switch which allows seamless integration of a Strato C and a Premiere player. All Premiere and Terra libraries are merged into a single GUI.

Kaleidescape is the most expensive system in this list. Each Strato C player cost around $4k and Terra servers range from $4k to $25k depending on the storage size. Kaleidescape offers unlimited cloud storage for content purchased from their movie store. Technically, you can go with the entry level Terra 10TB server which can hold 150 4K movies on locally and the rest of your library on the cloud storage. Terra servers download 4K movies in about 12 minutes (with gigabit ISP). Terra Prime SSD servers can download 4K movies in about 4 minutes (with 2.5 gigabit ISP).

Zappiti/Zidoo/Dune HD:

These are integrated player/servers. They don't have a dedicated content store to download movies. They don't support any 3rd party streaming apps. They allow you to rip your physical media to their integrated storage or a 3rd party server (Synology, Qnap or DIY). They offer a very high quality playback of ripped media. They offer built in tools to identify discs, assign media art, content and technical details. They can display your ripped media library in a nice GUI with cover arts, content and technical details which allows easier and more fun way of browsing your media library. Compared to Kaleidescape, most of the work is manually done by the user. Physical discs and torrent downloads are the only way of gathering content. The user experience is not as polished as Kaleidescape.

Update: Zappiti just announced they are closing doors. The built in apps will cease to function once the company exits the business. Zappiti was considered the most capable and highest quality among these integrated player/servers.

Do-It-Yourself Home Theater PC (DIY HTPC):

Similar to Zappiti/Zidoo and Dune HD but all parts are hand picked and put together by the user. Zappiti/Zidoo/Dune HD use purpose made parts that run on FPGAs and ASICs which provide better energy efficiency, low noise and much higher performance audio and video output. DIY HTPC parts are typically computer and server components that are not primarily designed to be audiophile and videophile equipment. In capable hands, a DIY HTPC can be very capable but requires knowledge and time.

Software:

Netflix:

Ton of Netflix produced exclusive content. More and more Netflix produced content added each month but other content size is shrinking rapidly. It might end up having Netflix produced content only soon. A lot of 4K HDR content with Dolby Atmos. Monthly subscription for unlimited streaming. Highly compressed video and audio. Netflix has the worst audio out of all content providers. I believe the bitrates are below 300kbps on most cases.

Amazon Prime:

Ton of Prime produced exclusive content. More Amazon produced content added each month but other content is still sizable. A lot of 4k HDR content with Atmos audio. Annual subscription for unlimited streaming but some content is still extra for rent or buy (typically newer movies). Higher quality video and audio in general than Netflix.

Hulu/Applet TV+/Disney+/Paramount+:

Similar to Netflix and Prime, there are many other streaming services with comparable audio and video quality.

Kaleidescape Store:

14,000+ titles library. All content is bit perfect exact copies of DVDs, Blu-rays and 4K UHD Blu-rays. Unfortunately it requires a Kaleidescape media player which is $4500-6000 (see updates). Movies need to be downloaded to the player first which can take an hour or so. Standard player can store 150 4K titles. Kaleidescape servers can be added to expand this. No monthly fee but movies are for rent or buy. Pricing is similar to physical media ($25-35 per titles). Advantages: instant access to your library, excellent user interface which makes picking movies fun and easy, best video and audio quality with zero compression. Saves space. Multi room play is possible with multiple players. Multiple players can share content from each other and expand overall storage space.

Update: Kaleidescape now offers discounted movies as low as $7.99 in HD or $9.99 for 4K. New releases are typically 1 or 2 months advance of physical media and priced similarly (about $25). You get free updates within the same resolution as new video and audio remasters become available or you can upgrade to 4K for a small fee (typically $5). Kaleidescape has a disc to digital program which allows you to get digital licenses at a discounted rate if you own the disc version.

Plex/Kodi:

Plex server and Kodi server allows you to organize your local downloaded (torrent etc.) and ripped physical media content to be played back on Plex or Kodi players that can be installed onto Apple TV, Shield, Roku and many other compatible streamers and smart TVs. Plex started including free streaming content.

List Updated on 10/13/23

Last edited by substance on 14 Oct 2023, 01:17, edited 4 times in total. _________________
Coming Soon
Derman Labs
Anything Of Substance

Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s dead for good
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019, 18:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That player cost seems nuts to me but they are clearly targeting a market I am not part of. I'm not too worried about this because I mostly don't care about new movies.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019, 20:05 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'll just buy it from Asian countries, they will always have physical media.
Not everybody in those gigantic Asian countries will have streaming, they are still waiting for refrigerators........

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019, 20:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Even if physical media will die at some point we will still be able to buy films physically, just not new ones. Though I will say that the day I lose the opportunity to even buy films physically, I will quit watching films in my home. Don't see any point to spend time watching films in my home when there's nothing I can hold, that's no fun at all. I will just keep on watching films in the theater then.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019, 20:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
I'll just buy it from Asian countries, they will always have physical media.
Not everybody in those gigantic Asian countries will have streaming, they are still waiting for refrigerators........

I find it weird that they're pushing for streaming so hard in the US when the internet speeds are so abysmal in huge parts of the country. It's like people don't even live outside major metropolitan areas.

Hell, there are places where the only internet connection available is dial-up, and I can't even imagine what it must be like to try using modern internet with a speed that's not even 56kbs!

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019, 20:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It wouldn't surprise me if Japan is one of the last hold outs.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019, 21:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah, internet speeds here are all over the place and slower than they can be.
I know mine is faster than dial up but slower than other, I can still stream videos on youtube but that's about all I do, no other films or services.

I was thinking more of India and other smaller places like Thailand, Malaysia etc. They will always have physical media.
Look at the bootlegs that are on the internet now from these places, not India but others.
So many and they even make their own not just copying other companies but their own translations albeit bad but still they have done it.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019, 21:37 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think 5 years is chicken little level paranoia. The idea that litterally all media will be gone is assuming a lot. It’s assuming that every publisher of all media in the world would rather stop manufacturing it that cater to even a small market and that’s...you don’t know that. Nobody does. And I feel very very confident that LP and even CD will still exist so let’s be clear that you’re really talking about streaming killing BR.

When streaming doesn’t suck major D for selection and the entire planet has access to 4G wireless with no data cap, then maybe we can talk. As it is %99 of all classic movies are not available streaming so unless publishers love flushing their entire back catalog they’re going to have to improve the streaming or keep making the discs. A large part of the world still pays a toll for internet, either they have a cap or they pay by the byte/minute. Netflix only works where internet is unlimited.

Things are in a major state of transition right now but it needs to be understood that Netflix particularly but all of the major streaming services are losing money on the actual product. If you buy three or four Blu-ray in a year you give more money to discs that Netflix. Netflix in particular is spending INSANE money developing tons and tons of shows and more than a few people are wondering when they are going to become a profitable company instead of the Tesla of streaming (that is, hoodwink more investors every year, get more subscribers every year, but still ultimately spending more on the customer than the customer is spending on them). And now Apple is getting in on it...it’s going to be interesting and very very expensive.

We will see a lot of stuff not making it to disc, as is the case already, but “ALL” media, or even all video is...not realistic. It may get as bad as it was trying to buy vinyl in the 90s but it won’t be completely gone unless the whole world loses interest in movies.

And yeah, Japan will be the last holdout but honestly I think China could be an even bigger factor. There is quite the scene there now for audiophiles and collectors.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019, 23:20 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

How exactly is the amount of Video-and Audio Philes in the US? I thought we would have a bigger market so that physical media would still continue.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019, 23:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

We have more per-capita collector for sure but China is 4x the size of the US and growing and the US is basically at it’s Fin de siècle. I think we will have a very strong record collecting scene for at least until my generation is dead and frankly some of the 90s kids buy a lot of music too. When they hit middle age they’ll need decent gear so in like 2035 look forward to a turntable revival.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2019, 02:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Now that I think about it, I messed up. I dismissed the notion rather than provide an actual list of alternative ways of getting stuff when physical media is dead.

There is an answer, and it’s to just pirate everything. If something exists it can be copied even if discs were never made. A great example of this is when you find torrents of all new HD masters of stuff that doesn’t exist on a disc yet because it was made for cable or streaming or something. These are sourced from internal leaks usually but there are ways of capturing anything and everything. If the home video industry does in fact just kill itself and close up shop forever in T-minus 5 years then that’s your solution.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2019, 03:26 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

That's exactly what I was saying.
Those Asian countries will get the files and make factory pressed DVDs in China, Thailand etc.
I remember seeing those Asian releases of films like Iron Man or other commercial USA film in Chinatown back in NYC
and they weren't even released in the USA yet.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2019, 05:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I remember when VCD was like that. If Bluray became like VCD...holy cow...

...we might finally get a complete Looney Toons collection...

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2019, 08:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

2024 - mark your calenders, the year physical media is banned by the UN for its use of plastics. Also the year most of the world ignores the UN as usual.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2019, 15:54 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I was also reading the title of this topic again.

Alternatives for physical media when it’s dead for good

I think we will go outside and enjoy the world or find a good clean hobby that we can enjoy
like playing golf in random parks as forper does :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2019, 21:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
I think we will go outside and enjoy the world or find a good clean hobby that we can enjoy

Try it, the green fees are really reasonable. Look forward to a lot of golden moments, like when a junkie walking his dog offers you advice on your swing. Or a crow flies away with your ball. It's the greatest scenery/arthouse LD ever made, in analogue Super MUSE EYE Vision.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2019, 00:06 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I like how we have golf carts because the greens are really too big to walk though in the early days of humanity we did walk probably that much and more in a single day.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2019, 00:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Try it, the green fees are really reasonable. Look forward to a lot of golden moments, like when a junkie walking his dog offers you advice on your swing. Or a crow flies away with your ball. It's the greatest scenery/arthouse LD ever made, in analogue Super MUSE EYE Vision.

Oh I'm so going to do this, when I visit NYC.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2019, 09:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Cool, post pics here if you play

we can start the international LGGA (Laserdisc Ghetto Golf Association)

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2019, 15:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
Cool, post pics here if you play

we can start the international LGGA (Laserdisc Ghetto Golf Association)

I'd rather it be the CGGA. Cheap Ghetto Golf Association :lol:

Page 1 of 11 [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next