It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:05

Page 8 of 11 [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alternatives for physical media when it’s no longer prod
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2021, 00:47 
Serious fan
Serious fan

kone4:

DaDon's store is kaput, yet the site lingers on as a digital Flying Dutchman (there's a thread on this).

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2021, 02:34 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

OK I have the Kaleidescape Strato running now. I bought it for the 4K exclusives but I am seeing some other nice surprises. I just downloaded Titan A.E. in HD with DTS-HD MA 5.1. It looks and sound great.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 19:06 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

There are some interesting and unexpected finds in the Kaleidescape store. I don't believe Memories of Murder is available on 4K HDR anywhere. It is going to be a good companion film to Parasite this weekend.

Attachments:
9501B1D0-8673-4131-92BD-B9AF9E6990BB.jpeg
9501B1D0-8673-4131-92BD-B9AF9E6990BB.jpeg [ 277.28 KiB | Viewed 3241 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 19:13 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Titan A.E in 1080p with DTS-HD MA 5.1. The file size is small. Perhaps they wanted to fit it to a single layer Blu-ray which never got released. Technically, you can buy an older Kaleidescape Cinema One with 4TB storage for about $1,000 on the used market then buy this film from the Kaleidescape store for $20. It would still be cheaper than the LD.

Attachments:
2790FDAF-9C83-4997-9112-277214141B89.jpeg
2790FDAF-9C83-4997-9112-277214141B89.jpeg [ 309.27 KiB | Viewed 3239 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 19:17 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I believe The Wrath of Khan is coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray eventually. For now, it's only here.

Attachments:
FA35EDD7-88F2-4E43-8A7C-9FA98D867BB9.jpeg
FA35EDD7-88F2-4E43-8A7C-9FA98D867BB9.jpeg [ 309.79 KiB | Viewed 3239 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 19:20 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I believe there is a DVD release for the Stargate Origins. I don't even think you can stream this.

Attachments:
114BDDD7-090A-429E-B409-DACBE99E6E2A.jpeg
114BDDD7-090A-429E-B409-DACBE99E6E2A.jpeg [ 265.61 KiB | Viewed 3239 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 19:22 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Amores Perros is another recent 4K release from Kaleidescape that skipped the disc media release.

Attachments:
F2ADC7F9-7560-44D7-8EA3-A88B428211BD.jpeg
F2ADC7F9-7560-44D7-8EA3-A88B428211BD.jpeg [ 294.19 KiB | Viewed 3239 times ]

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 00:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

So how big is your HDD and can you transfer the files you bought to larger storage later as your collection expands? Do you need Kaleidascape to stay in business your whole life to retain/playback the content? ie do you REALLY OWN these films?

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 02:07 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

forper wrote:
So how big is your HDD and can you transfer the files you bought to larger storage later as your collection expands? Do you need Kaleidascape to stay in business your whole life to retain/playback the content? ie do you REALLY OWN these films?

It’s a completely closed system. In a way, it needs to be this way in order to stay %100 legal. In the past, they allowed ripping your own discs into storage but had a big lawsuit which made them almost bankrupt. Now you need to purchase the digital license or you need to hold on to the disc copy (more on this later).

I have their Strato server/player which has a 6TB storage. It has no disc drives. You can move downloads to only other Kaleidescape units but nothing else. You can not add your own storage. You can not upgrade the internal storage. The only way to expand capacity is adding more Kaleidescape units. I have a Kaleidescape Premiere 3U server with 14x6TB (2 of them are for Raid parity drives so 72TB usable storage) to expand storage.

You can buy movies only from their dedicated online store which they call Kaleidescape Store. They have over 20,000 titles to chose from. Some boutique studios like Shout, Kino and Studiocanal are also within their online store. Digital license pricing is similar to disc pricing around $10-35 but mostly $10-20. You can also rent for $8 which seems to be fixed for all titles, I have never rented yet. There are sales frequently.

If you already have the disc in hand, you need a Kaleidescape unit with a disc drive to play it. I have 2 of their DV700 disc servers, each can hold 320 discs. Once you insert discs, it imports those to Premiere 3U server. From this point and on, you are playing them from the storage but they need to remain the in the disc server for checking ownership. Playing from the server, instead of the disc allows playing all your movies on up to 15 different zones simultaneously. The movie starts instantaneously. I have so many discs. Kaleidescape software skips all the previous and warnings automatically. You select the film you want to watch on the OSD and the film starts immediately. I play to add 2 to 4 more DV700 disc servers in the future.

If you don’t want to keep discs, once you insert discs into a Kaleidescape unit, you can go to their store and buy the digital license at a significant discount. They call this disc to digital upgrade. The pricing differs per studio. Disney gives a $3 discount only but all other studies charge $2-3 per upgrade, and $5 if you are upgrading your Blu-ray to 4K. Once you own the digital license, that gets you all the later versions. For example, if there is a new remastered version, you get that for free. No more double dipping.

Once your movies are downloaded to the storage. You own them and the closed system allows them to be played without internet connection. So if the company goes down, you keep your movies as long as you keep your hardware. The server has 2 parity drives and can work up to 2 hdd fails. You can buy replacement drives from Kaleidescape as more spares. This way you can maintain them for many years.

You have unlimited downloads for digital licenses. So technically, you don’t need any additional servers to add storage. You can just get a Strato and when you run out of room, delete some moves (you can download them later again). So it’s like unlimited cloud storage. Streaming is not allowed. Movies play only after complete downloads. Movies are bit perfect copies so the download files are large. Strato downloads a Blu-ray in about 40 mins and 4K movie in 70 mins. Premiere 3U server is much quicker because of its Raid. If the company goes down and you don’t have your movies downloaded, I guess then you lose them.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 02:16 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have my DV700 disc servers and the 72TB hdd server in the closet taking up 18”by 21” space (racked vertically). I have in them close to 2000 films in bit perfect DVD, BD and 4K versions. Many of the BD and 4K versions I bought from the Kaleidescape Store don’t exist in disc format(at least not yet). I can browse my collection on the TV OSD or my tablet and play any title instantly in up to 15 different rooms in the house( you need a separate player for each zone). For instance, I can watch a tv show episode in the living room while wife is watching a different episode from the same disc in the kitchen since the movies are played from the hdd. Most of these benefits aren’t all that important to most (and to be honest, not to me either). Kaleidescape systems are extremely expensive. There is the risk of the company going down. My main reason for doing this was saving up space. I need an entire dedicated room for my movies because I have so many. No one in my family cares to browse my library because they get overwhelm by the size of it. Now I can fit all my movies in a corner in the closet or garage. Everyone loves the OSD and how easy it is to find something to watch. An added bonus is now I have access to more content (as described most 4K titles aren’t available on disc)

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 02:23 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Oh and no worries. Still have so much love for my Laserdiscs and tapes. There is no Kaleidescape for those. I am maintaining a 400 to 500 disc LD library and about 100 or so tapes.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 12:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well that was a comprehensive answer! I guess the only things you give up is the ability to sell stuff on and the ability to hold something in your hand. Sounds pretty cool.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 15:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

And you give up the money, I can't remember the last time I bought a new film on DVD for 20 bucks.

May have been the Criterion of Solaris, but that would have been around 40?

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 17:07 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

rein-o wrote:
And you give up the money, I can't remember the last time I bought a new film on DVD for 20 bucks.

May have been the Criterion of Solaris, but that would have been around 40?

Cost is definitely the biggest con. Like forger said you can’t sell your films either. But somebody has to buy movies new to have a second hand market later. The same goes for the hardware. These are very expensive systems because there is a small niche market. Eventually other streaming services will catch up and offer on par quality for less.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2021, 18:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

https://movieweb.com/warner-bros-phasin ... s9kAo9rwYw

This is sooner than I expected.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2021, 18:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

TBH I don't believe it. Warner have always done everything they can to squeeze out every single cent out of physical collectors and their increasing number of titles being released on UHD-BD makes it clear that they're doing fine. As long as the companies reach enough marginals, they'll keep pressing discs.

PostPosted: 06 May 2021, 19:53 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

My local Best Buy reduced its media section to one self this year. I asked the associate yesterday why so few movies and doesn’t seem to get restocked much. He said they are phasing out all the physical media by July as the sales are way down. I visited 2 other locations and they have about the same amount of movies on display. It is sad to say this but I think Walmart is now the largest physical media reseller in the US.

PostPosted: 06 May 2021, 20:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well my wife just read about the backlash against the Kondo downsizing and now people are starting the clutter movement.
So while media may be downsized now it will be turned around with the clutter movement.

All the stuff I own that I like sparks joy when I touch it.

PostPosted: 07 May 2021, 02:53 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

rein-o wrote:
Well my wife just read about the backlash against the Kondo downsizing and now people are starting the clutter movement.
So while media may be downsized now it will be turned around with the clutter movement.

All the stuff I own that I like sparks joy when I touch it.

Not sure what you mean by this.

PostPosted: 07 May 2021, 11:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

substance wrote:
My local Best Buy reduced its media section to one self this year. I asked the associate yesterday why so few movies and doesn’t seem to get restocked much. He said they are phasing out all the physical media by July as the sales are way down. I visited 2 other locations and they have about the same amount of movies on display. It is sad to say this but I think Walmart is now the largest physical media reseller in the US.

Best Buy also stopped carrying CDs but has loads of $45 records that we already have on CDs. Meanwhile CD continues to be available elsewhere, not for every artist, but for most. Best Buy, frankly, has never been worse. It’s like an indoor flea market at this point where every vendor is individually more important than the store. Oh, you want SONY, headphone? “Those are way over there now because everyone gets their own section.”

Walmart has been a better place to buy movies than Best Buy for at least five years.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 8 of 11 [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next