Page 7 of 8 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Toy collecting
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2019, 14:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
tasuke wrote:
forper wrote:
Any toys here for '80s magical girls like Minky Momo?

i did this fairly awful job on a vintage BANDAI Momo figure model a good number of years back;

Did you do the robot or have a pic?? Looks really cool in the art on the box.

While I hate to say I have no knowledge about Momo, its just not my taste the robot looks cool as a mini.

nah, i never got around to painting the Super Robot figure. perhaps one of these odd days...

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2019, 16:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

These were quite cheap used but complete and in great shape.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 15:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 17:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

2001/2019; one of my three very first Anime Character Dolls,

-part of a set of three 2001 TOYNAMI "Tenchi Muyo" 11in. dolls i've owned since brand new on the market-

and my most recent, a 2008 MegaHouse "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" Mikuru Asahina,
enhanced with a brand-new OBITSU BODY 26cm. aftermarket doll body just recently purchased;

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 22:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

After owning this figure for probably a whole year(!), I finally decided to take him out of his box and actually try posing him. I gotta say, I really do like this guy.

There's something about Amazon's bestial nature that lends itself well to a highly articulated figure. Only a bummer that the Shinkocchou Seihou figures don't really do effect pieces in the same way the old releases did, but luckily I do own the old Amazon + Jungler set. I just hope the Daisetsudan effect still fits.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2020, 15:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

my first ever MACROSS item, and the impetous that started me down the road of MACROSS, and, by extension, Anime in general,
the ROBOTECH CHANGERS "VEXAR" U.S. reboxing of the original 1983 IMAI 1/72 VF-1S Focker VARIABLE TYPE
that a nephew gave me around 1989/1990;

my first "Proper" MACROSS item, the 1/100 ARII GERWALK VF-1J Ichijo T.V. that my dad got me at a hobby shop around 1995;

my first ever transforming VF-1 toy, a customization of a battered old TRANS FORMERS "JETFIRE"
that i traded my entire childhood G.I. JOE collection for back around 1999/2000;

the 1985 BANDAI 1/72 HCM (High Complete Model) of the VF-1J Ichijo T.V.
a true classic piece, very reminiscent indeed of the old 1/72 IMAI transformable model, but without the "Parts-Forming"
i had to have one of my own;

and, finally, the transformable VF-1 toy i've been dreaming of since the 90's,
the BANDAI DX CHOGOKIN 1/48 VF-1J i managed to snag a copy of, back in early-2019;

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 00:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I never noticed that Vexar on the box has a really weird interpretation of Fokker's scheme, good that you gave it the proper scheme when you did it. Did you complete it soon after you got it? You did a good job. My friends and I could never figure out why those Revell kits (which were ubiquitus in every random store there was back in the '80s/'90s in Australia) had mecha that never appeared in the show. Little did we know about Xabungle and Dougram. Those kits were so easy to get but I was more into comic books and wargame figures then. I do remember getting some Panzer World Galient kits from Toys R Us in 1993, when I was 15, some kids seeing me buy them and getting s**t for it at school and getting beat up for it. But I got beat up most days anyway..I remember an original Imai Macross destroid Spartan kit in Australian Kmart back in the '80s, and screwing it up with my crappy skills. I used to pit it against a platoon of ESCI German infantry I'd painted with humbrol paint and make up rules. Strangely I'm still drawn to do stuff like that..

As my model making skills are slapdash and rough as hell I decided to go the toy route for Macross a long time ago. When I first got to Japan in 2001 one of the first things I did was go to Volks in Ikebukuro, wade past all the dolls and panties (not a chore) and pick up a first gen Yamato 1/60 Hikaru VF-1J. I picked up a used VE-1 Elint Seeker later in a junk store in Japan and decided to do a DYRL? capsule collection.

So here's my collection as it stands today. I really always wanted to add a mass production VF-1A armored valkyrie but the price of the armor set is insane these days. Apart from that I'd really like a VF-4 and a VF-2SS then I'll be done. Tried to pick up a 2SS in Tokyo last time I was there in 2015 but my departure missed the release by a couple of days.

I had a Takatoku rebadge transformers Jetfire when I was a kid too, I knew it was really Macross! Best Christmas present I ever got.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2020, 11:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The only Macross toy I want is the TV version of SDF-1.

Would be nice if they f***ing made one!

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 11:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

yeah that's pretty weird, there have been so many movie versions issued the last decade. My 1/3000 got reissued lately I heard. You could go back to the '80s Takatoku TV version?

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 14:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
yeah that's pretty weird, there have been so many movie versions issued the last decade. My 1/3000 got reissued lately I heard. You could go back to the '80s Takatoku TV version?

I would love to have one, but I couldn't possibly justify the prices that thing goes for these days. There is the American Matchbox version which is much closer to my budget, but I'm not sure I'd be able to live with the nerfed features.

I hate this practice of any time there's a new version of a series or a movie, the new designs from that take almost complete precedent over the originals; there's hardly ever any kits from Gundam Wing that aren't the Endless Waltz versions for example.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 16:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
forper wrote:

I would love to have one, but I couldn't possibly justify the prices that thing goes for these days. There is the American Matchbox version which is much closer to my budget, but I'm not sure I'd be able to live with the nerfed features.

I hate this practice of any time there's a new version of a series or a movie, the new designs from that take almost complete precedent over the originals; there's hardly ever any kits from Gundam Wing that aren't the Endless Waltz versions for example.

Yeah but at least new stuff becomes available then. We got the first good City Hunter figures due to the new movie.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2020, 14:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Recent arrivals from amiami.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2020, 14:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Also coming from AmiAmi, sometime this month, as well as in JUNE, providing COVID-19 doesn't bog things down too badly;

-APRIL-

-JUNE-

PostPosted: 06 May 2020, 21:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Got these for a good price from the same seller.

PostPosted: 07 May 2020, 05:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
I just hope the Daisetsudan effect still fits.

That's gonna be a nope. And because they changed the pegs for the hands, I can't even use the hand that it does fit on from the old figure with the SHFSS.

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 12:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I bought one of those pirate Optimus Primes on eBay last year. It has some issues. The stickers don’t stick. The rubber has slightly perished in the box. Roller’s little rubber tube was completely shot. I made a few repairs and it’s a really solid Prime for $38, especially when you consider Hasbro is selling a cab-only version at Walmart for $50! The box tried hard but was laughably incorrect so I pitched it.

What I can’t quite figure out is why there aren’t more of the things out there, particularly KOs of rare guys like Twincast which would be easily done and could hardly be worse than the official one.

I saw a knockoff of Galaxy Shuttle the other day on ebay - he's one of the really late Japanese exclusive figures - and for some reason he comes with Fracas, the Targetmaster partner of Scourge. What makes him particularly interesting is that the KO apparently does away the horrible ratchet joint, which was a point of breakage for all the Decepticon Targetmasters, and replaces it with a simple hinge joint held in place just with friction. Which makes it about 1000 times better than the original since without the notches there's no major stress put on the tabs. And it makes me wish someone would KO the rest of the Decepticon Targetmaster partners in a similar fashion, if only so I wouldn't have to pay upwards to 80 dollars just to find one for my Triggerhappy.

I definitely dislike the KOs that try to pass themselves off as the originals, but I wouldn't mind seeing more knockoffs of accessories, particularly the ones that are easily lost or broken. I bought custom made resin repros of the accessories for Bludgeon, which I don't think I've even seen come up for sale so I don't know how much they're worth, but I'm imagining they're definitely closer to 100 dollars than 0.

PostPosted: 28 May 2020, 16:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

More of Rory: https://imgur.com/a/sepEiD8

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2020, 13:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just boxed away my Soul of Chogokin Mazinger team, which left me with a convenient display space to put up my newest acquisitions.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2020, 16:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

half of my April/June AmiAmi order has FINALLY made it in country, and should arrive soon;

and i was also finally able to afford the other half of what will become the twin crown jewels of my small-but-significant MACROSS toy collection;

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2020, 16:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Picked up the Star Trek Generations Engineering playset from Playmates, 1996 I think. I recall this was supposed to come out in the Next Generation toyline but kept getting delayed until Generations came out. The box art on the front has Geordi and Data in their Generations (ie. DS9) uniforms, but the back of the box photos all just use the mainline Geordi figure. Probably because their actual DS9 uniform versions didn't come out until later and the actual Generations versions only had five points of articulation!

Page 7 of 8 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next