It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:39

Page 4 of 5 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: electronic recycle bin finds
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2019, 16:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I wish my recycling centre got cool stuff like yours does. Literally the first thing I grabbed from mine was the betamax deck and nothing else has even come close to it.

Although I wish I'd picked up that Sony 5-disc CD changer, too...

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2019, 17:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

admin wrote:
(deactivating forper account for a little while to give him time to cool down, he's been warned before that insults and posts without substance but just ranting are not welcomed here)

Julien

Very sad, I do hope this is only temporary.

So few members here on the forum who stay on to read new fools asking why their players won't work and what rot is.

But I guess its fitting for the death finish line of LD to have so few hanging on thinking the Titanic won't really sink.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2019, 19:25 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

deadlegion wrote:
Nintendo Super Famicom console, no psu or controllers.

So it's useless if it doesn't have the controllers and psi? To the shop I mean.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2019, 20:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
admin wrote:
(deactivating forper account for a little while to give him time to cool down, he's been warned before that insults and posts without substance but just ranting are not welcomed here)

Julien

So few members here on the forum who stay on to read new fools asking why their players won't work and what rot is.

But I guess its fitting for the death finish line of LD to have so few hanging on thinking the Titanic won't really sink.

I would have to assume it's temporary. I'll be completely honest and forthcoming here, I pm'd admin about this. Maybe it gets cleaned up anyway, but it was getting out of hand. I normally don't like to do things like that, but I asked him directly about some of his issues with it and more or less got ignored. I still don't understand why he can't simply ignore this thread or even why he is taking the position that he is on this issue. Either way, he needs to just let it go.

xtempo wrote:
deadlegion wrote:
Nintendo Super Famicom console, no psu or controllers.

He mentioned they were going to bin it but that was deleted in the scrum.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2019, 21:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

xtempo wrote:

The unit is extremely discoloured, if you look on ebay you'll get an idea of what I mean.
No way to test it without psu, all electrical needs to be tested and tagged before selling.

Even if it were to be tested with a psu, Japanese units have a similar look and the same cart slot as PAL units but the games are not interchangeable due to different region lock chips. If this came in with a psu and one Japanese game it would be tested and sold even without a controller but as it is I was told to bin it.

Stuff getting binned isn't free to take anyway, you still need to pay a token minimum amount that's just policy. Usual minimum is $0.50aud but sometimes it might be $1-2aud like if it's a large item (eg furniture that needs repair).

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2019, 22:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah, it was going a little goofy but others did much worse before being blocked etc.

We did have 3 topics of worth the risk to buy an LD player or not, I take it those may have been removed??

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2019, 12:47 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
admin wrote:

Julien

LD has been getting popular again, not as far as the resurgence in vinyl, but I hear more and more about the format nowadays. Forper has good input from time to time, but it's really depressing hearing them talk about their views on life in general- but I'll leave it at that.

Our local goodwills don't have crap for electronics, I miss living in a larger city where I'd see stacks of CED's and LD's at every single one of them, I only wish I had my player back then so I had an excuse to buy them.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2019, 09:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I have a confession. I had a moment of weakness during my ban, I browsed rightstufs black friday offerings and considered going the easy road of anime on BD..but no I stayed strong..going the hard genlock road :cool:

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2019, 15:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

much as i adore original releases on their vintage/native home video formats,
there is something to say about complete collections on DVD and BRD, often available at a fraction of yesterday's prices.

also, there does exist a fairly goodly number of worthy Anime out there only available on DVD and/or BRD...

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 00:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Cost and convenience. If I was fluent in Japanese and was buying up JP LDs off YAJ for peanuts way back then maybe it would be different.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 00:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
I have a confession. I had a moment of weakness during my ban, I browsed rightstufs black friday offerings and considered going the easy road of anime on BD..but no I stayed strong..going the hard genlock road :cool:

:thumbup:
One day I need to figure out the genlock deal for some of my stuff IF I can even find subs for the obscure stuff.

DVDs and LDs for me only, no room in my life, house or wallet for another format.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 04:07 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

When I got hooked on anime the choices were butchered dubs or raw. Literally nothing was subtitled in the US before...I want to say maybe the VHS ver of Gunbuster. It had zero dampening effect on my enthusiasm for the work, the opposite probably.

Over the years I’ve studied Japanese, poorly. Like everything I’ve studied, poorly, it gets me by. I can barely say anything and I can read less. Watching anime...is rarely a problem. OK, Patlabor 2, sure, but not half hour mecha TV anime. There just...isn’t that much to understand. Fluency is for sure not needed. Don’t overate trash culture. It’s simple for a reason.

I honestly consider subtitles something that will keep you from learning the language. It’s extremely hard to read a sentence in native English and still parse the Japanese you barely know underneath because this isn’t Spanish, it’s Japanese. The two sentences are probably way different from each other syntax wise and more importantly the Japanese version of the sentence is probably much more simple and short.

The Japanese language is famously sound poor but honestly compared to English there just aren’t that many words. They never got Shakespeare. They don’t have 134 different ways of explaining “the ice cube melted” or whatever and there is no shame in using super *super* simple phrasing whereas in the West you sound like a dumbdumb if you aren’t stretching the language as much as it can be. In Japanese you’re sorta...expected to already know the plot. Sounds stupid but it’s true. “If you’re cool, you’ll only need one word to say this and any more is babbling.” You’ve seen zatoichi. They make up for lack of literal language complexity with inscrutable psychic social context and the most beautiful writing system in human history.

I guess what I’m saying is that even if you knew exactly what they were saying you still might not be able to make the same subtitle sentence that it belongs with because most of the English is sorta needed to support the subject and predicate. We’ve all seen the words like shine and baka and all that translated a dozen ways.

And so if you’ve seen the movie 100 times and you’ve memorized every word of the translated scripts and THEN switched to watching it raw with the intent of understanding the Japanese your ability to finally *really* understand the thing will expand. You need to get the subs out of the way.

Chars Counterattack was one of the first anime I had a copy of that wasn’t taped off TV. I had a hard time grasping some parts of the movie but it’s now decades old and people still debate what’s happening in that story. Don’t assume that because you didn’t understand one thing that the whole film we be lost. There are plenty of native Japanese speakers that can’t understand how Ramen man can defeat his foe in a wrestling match so totally that he pulls them into actual noodles in the ring and then eats the noodles. Lots of people don’t understand that t shaped psychoframe chunk that is perhaps haunted by the ghost of the Nu Gundam’s engineer. It’s OK. Just roll with it.

I buy US release mainly because they are cheap and I can loan them out. The vast majorly of my stuff is raw and I get like half of what’s being said if I don’t already know the movie.

Angels Egg has almost no dialogue and what is there is basically quoted from the Bible or extremely simple. Some people get that movie and some don’t, the language is irrelevant.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 10:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Logitech Cordless Precision Controller G-X2E14A with wireless dongle (blue, for PS2 console)
Genuine PS2 memory card (black)
Powerwave PS2 multitap
Genuine PS2 Network Adaptor (SCPH-10350)

I'm pretty happy about finding the last item on this list. It took me years to find one without having to spend extra money to import, they just aren't all that common here. I guess not many people had hard drives in their early PS2's.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 10:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
forper wrote:

One day I need to figure out the genlock deal for some of my stuff IF I can even find subs for the obscure stuff.

I think it's going to be a matter of converting and cleaning up subs from SRT to SSA rather than finding old SSAs..

Zeta, yep, the Japanese in you're average Ghibli movie with kids and women is damn easy to follow, it's pretty much textbook Japanese:

Then you have '80s mecha stuff. The slanged out male version of Japanese is very hard to decipher, especially when the narrator at the start of each episode of L-Gaim speaks that fast, I've studied Japanese at university and spent a year at Japanese uni studying as well as 7 years or so living in Japan, I've talked all night in the streets of Shibuya with homeless Japanese dudes, and I still need subs, I know I'm probably dumber than you and most people but you have to admit that this is a lot more challenging to catch:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3vld4ah5M&t=151s[/youtube]

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 12:29 
True fan
True fan

deadlegion wrote:
Logitech Cordless Precision Controller G-X2E14A with wireless dongle (blue, for PS2 console)
Genuine PS2 memory card (black)
Powerwave PS2 multitap
Genuine PS2 Network Adaptor (SCPH-10350)

I'm pretty happy about finding the last item on this list. It took me years to find one without having to spend extra money to import, they just aren't all that common here. I guess not many people had hard drives in their early PS2's.

I have never found a Multitap that works for the PS2, every single one, even new old stock, seems to be completely busted. Tested across multiple systems, maybe 5-6 Mtaps I've tried.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 12:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

pokefraker wrote:
I have never found a Multitap that works for the PS2, every single one, even new old stock, seems to be completely busted. Tested across multiple systems, maybe 5-6 Mtaps I've tried.

I've got a Mad Catz multitap here that works, it's the block type without a cord. The Powerwave is a cord type but I haven't tested it yet. Both have MC pass-through.

Mad Catz is original fat only, Powerwave suits both fat and slim (has sliding interface).

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 14:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That's really odd. I have 2 oem taps, one big one designed for slim and both work great. I've got a lot of time using them for 3 player Champions of Norrath and Return to Arms.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 15:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
rein-o wrote:
forper wrote:

I think it's going to be a matter of converting and cleaning up subs from SRT to SSA rather than finding old SSAs..

Zeta, yep, the Japanese in you're average Ghibli movie with kids and women is damn easy to follow, it's pretty much textbook Japanese:

Then you have '80s mecha stuff. The slanged out male version of Japanese is very hard to decipher, especially when the narrator at the start of each episode of L-Gaim speaks that fast, I've studied Japanese at university and spent a year at Japanese uni studying as well as 7 years or so living in Japan, I've talked all night in the streets of Shibuya with homeless Japanese dudes, and I still need subs, I know I'm probably dumber than you and most people but you have to admit that this is a lot more challenging to catch:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3vld4ah5M&t=151s[/youtube]

For me its the setup and time with lack of money more than anything else.
I'm sitting on an old computer to possibly use for this in the future, its a windows 98? Can't remember as its so old and I used to use it.

As for the subs and learning Japanese I'm too far gone and would rather the subs as I'm lazy with that stuff.
I tried to learn Japanese when I was younger but its just too hard for my Dinosaur brain and I'll stick with American :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2019, 03:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

PS2 DS2 controller (silver)
PS2 Rock Band/Guitar Hero I-III multi wireless adapter
PS3 Move controller

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2019, 08:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:

For me its the setup and time with lack of money more than anything else.
I'm sitting on an old computer to possibly use for this in the future, its a windows 98? Can't remember as its so old and I used to use it.

As for the subs and learning Japanese I'm too far gone and would rather the subs as I'm lazy with that stuff.
I tried to learn Japanese when I was younger but its just too hard for my Dinosaur brain and I'll stick with American :lol:

Well yeah man I was never cut out for learning languages either I guess. A windows 98 PC sounds like the perfect setup for Substation Alpha. I sourced a genlock for $100 (pending if it actually needs another box to work) but I like the idea of having the original LD cuts of anime with subs.. the best situation really.

Page 4 of 5 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next