It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:26

Page 1 of 7 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: The Mandalorian
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 21:25 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Disney has kinda wrecked the franchise with some crappy movies. Rogue One was solid imo and I didn't mind Solo tbh, although I know a lot of people hate it.
The main movies are pretty much bleh. Of course I still buy this stuff anyway but I would never pay to go see them in theatres.

So anyway, The Mandalorian series. All I've seen is a teaser bootleg from months back but I'm hopeful this is going to be ok. There should be a trailer on Friday 23rd afaik.

At last something other than kids cartoons.

Post subject: Re: The Mandalorian
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 22:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Nah, I’m pretty sure it’s all kids cartoons. It’s far more than %50 animation now and the storylines are...child compatible, let’s say, because they want to sell toys. Boba Fett made his debut first in a cartoon and as child’s toy before Empire was released. This is all for kids.

Star Wars, like Night Rider, The A Team, Power Rangers and all that stuff...it’s kids stuff. It’s adult compatible, but it’s kids stuff. It’s not the Foundation series or 2001 or even Heavy Metal or Repo Man. It’s a multi-billion dollar toy delivery service before its anything else and toys are for kids.

If you want something better than the Star Wars you’ve seen the answer will probably NOT be to watch more Star Wars. It’ll probably be something else completely. But I warn you, whatever it is, there won’t be as many toys so you may not like it when you find it.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 22:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The Mandalorian is live action tho.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 00:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think Kenner would have made more money making a Repo Man line of figures with gas station sushi accessories.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 10:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Nah, I’m pretty sure it’s all kids cartoons. It’s far more than %50 animation now and the storylines are...child compatible, let’s say, because they want to sell toys. Boba Fett made his debut first in a cartoon and as child’s toy before Empire was released. This is all for kids.

I actually wrote a comment on another Star Wars website about this sort of thing. Star Wars has always been for people of all ages, but Disney has always been for families, and there's a big distinction between the two. When the original movie came out, it was genuinely enjoyed by people of all ages. Disney in the other hand targets kids first, the family appeal is more in making the adults approve of it so they can show it to their kids; while they themselves do enjoy it, it tends to be rather sanitized as to not offend anybody. What's worse, that extends to the company's public image as well, so when Disney acquired Fox, I threw any hopes of ever having any movie in Fox's catalogue having an unrated cut released ever again.

I also think Disney may be targeting audiences that are a little too young. Star Wars may be for all ages, but it ultimately tends to fall somewhere around ages 8 and above. Children respond the best to characters that are slightly older than they are, and by extension I think that extends to the content itself; by making stuff that's aimed squarely at preschoolers might give older kids the wrong kind of impression of the franchise, especially now when they're are finding other points of distraction than toys.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 11:05 
True fan
True fan

takeshi666 wrote:
What's worse, that extends to the company's public image as well, so when Disney acquired Fox, I threw any hopes of ever having any movie in Fox's catalogue having an unrated cut released ever again.

I find this unlikely, as Disney owns Touchstone and I'm pretty certain they've released a handful of unrated, or at the very least very violent films over the years (including the classic Starship Troopers).

The other points you made all make sense though, that being said with the exception of The Last Jedi, the Disney Star Wars Films are all better than the prequels (Most of Revenge of the Sith excluded).

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 11:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

pokefraker wrote:
with the exception of The Last Jedi, the Disney Star Wars Films are all better than the prequels (Most of Revenge of the Sith excluded).

lol no

Disney films, not including RO, make all the prequels seem good now.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 11:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I think the main thing effecting current releases (star wars or not) is the need to not possibly offend anyone. It's a dumbing down of content not because of a kid focus but a fear of twitter outrage/boycots at the slighest percieved negative treatment of minorities, women or anyone with percieved disadvantage.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 12:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

What minorities? White people and Jews have lower birth rates than anyone else.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 13:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
I think the main thing effecting current releases (star wars or not) is the need to not possibly offend anyone. It's a dumbing down of content not because of a kid focus but a fear of twitter outrage/boycots at the slighest percieved negative treatment of minorities, women or anyone with percieved disadvantage.

That's kind of what I meant. This is Disney's MO. If Song of the South was owned by Warner, they'd probably put it out by now with the appropriate disclaimers. Disney is just far too preoccupied with it's image.

deadlegion wrote:
Disney films, not including RO, make all the prequels seem good now.

Honestly RO suffers from the same problems as The Force Awakens. You watch it once, you think it's good, but more than a cursory glance makes you realize it's actually kind of stupid. The worst parts about RO is that it makes Leia look like an idiot since it retcons her into telling a bald-faced lie at the beginning of ANH (since Vader literally just saw her run off with the plans) and the whole Death Star cooling duct was a plot hole that didn't need fixing because it wasn't a plot hole. It's like it was written by someone who only read a clickbait article about the original movie instead of actually watching it.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 13:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Honestly RO suffers from the same problems as The Force Awakens. You watch it once, you think it's good, but more than a cursory glance makes you realize it's actually kind of stupid. The worst parts about RO is that it makes Leia look like an idiot since it retcons her into telling a bald-faced lie at the beginning of ANH (since Vader literally just saw her run off with the plans) and the whole Death Star cooling duct was a plot hole that didn't need fixing because it wasn't a plot hole. It's like it was written by someone who only read a clickbait article about the original movie instead of actually watching it.

I have watched all the recent movies more than once, I own them all. Even the prequels are stupid, hell even OT is stupid if you want to nitpick.

The main Disney movies are by far the worst of the franchise...actually, maybe they're better than Rebels and that anime trash. Oh and Ewok movies. Ok they aren't the worst thing to happen but I can't accept TFA being regarded as a better movie than AotC.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 14:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

deadlegion wrote:
The main Disney movies are by far the worst of the franchise...actually, maybe they're better than Rebels and that anime trash. Oh and Ewok movies. Ok they aren't the worst thing to happen but I can't accept TFA being regarded as a better movie than AotC.

I think it might be a little too much to expect...well, too much from the Ewok movies - if you watch them as typical 80's light fantasy in the vein of other fantasy movies of the period, like Willow, rather than trying to get your Star Wars fix, then I think they're alright. Hell, they're so disconnected from the main movie canon that it's actually difficult for me to even see them as Star Wars movies. But, y'know, I could just be biased.

Also I need to re-watch the prequels again. I've seen Attack of the Clones only twice and I don't remember particularly hating it either time.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 22:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

takeshi666 wrote:
I need to re-watch the prequels again. I've seen Attack of the Clones only twice and I don't remember particularly hating it either time.

Do it.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019, 00:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

deadlegion wrote:
The Mandalorian is live action tho.

Unless this show uses some new school of filmmaking I haven’t yet seen then that’s highly debatable. None of these new sci-fi things are really live action. The vast majority of the end product is animation, they just have the actors do the trade negotiation sequences and then paste their face textures on some models. When people go to watch these superhero movies they’re really watching cartoons with a few real elements, about the same percentage as a rotoscoped Bakshi movie. Superman, Spider-Man, the Jedi stuff, it’s all animation so detailed and smooth that it’s not fun anymore so you think it must be real. It’s totally a cartoon though. The sooner we get rid of the so-called actors the sooner we’ll see what this s**t is really capable of, IMHO.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2019, 02:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

To sidetrack this topic, I just watched Aquaman WOW I told my wife if I didn't play this one game that I would never be able to watch it.
All the CGI bouncing around and such made me dizzy, also the actors were hardly in the film as it felt like it was almost 90% CGI with no actual actors
boosting through the water.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2019, 14:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah. Pretty much just their faces and occasionally their chest and upper body is real. I hope principle photography didn’t take more than two days for this $200M cartoon.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2019, 15:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

I actually wrote a comment on another Star Wars website about this sort of thing. Star Wars has always been for people of all ages, but Disney has always been for families, and there's a big distinction between the two. When the original movie came out, it was genuinely enjoyed by people of all ages. Disney in the other hand targets kids first, the family appeal is more in making the adults approve of it so they can show it to their kids; while they themselves do enjoy it, it tends to be rather sanitized as to not offend anybody. What's worse, that extends to the company's public image as well, so when Disney acquired Fox, I threw any hopes of ever having any movie in Fox's catalogue having an unrated cut released ever again.

I also think Disney may be targeting audiences that are a little too young. Star Wars may be for all ages, but it ultimately tends to fall somewhere around ages 8 and above. Children respond the best to characters that are slightly older than they are, and by extension I think that extends to the content itself; by making stuff that's aimed squarely at preschoolers might give older kids the wrong kind of impression of the franchise, especially now when they're are finding other points of distraction than toys.

You’re giving in to the fanboy side, turn back!

Seriously, there is MORE TO LIFE THAN STAR WARS. Look around!

Disney isn’t going to censor the century of filmmaking they now own just because they release a G rated movie or two every year. It would be suicide. I mean get real, seriously. “Aimed squarely at preschoolers”? What are you talking about? Do they still kill people in these movies? “Preschooler” means four years old, incapable of understanding all but the simplest dialogue. Can’t even ask for the correct toy at that age. Does the new SW movie have a Wheels on the Bus scene? They very very rarely kill anything in a movie aimed at “preschoolers”. This kind of comment is the very reason Star Wars fans have a reputation for being babies. They don’t even know what babies are! And here we have it explained that they aren’t frothing at the keyboard over a four year old’s cartoon but rather one aimed at eight year olds. That’s so much less disturbing coming from someone almost FIFTY in many cases. :D

Re: Song of the South. This movie was picketed on its release in 1946. It’s star wasn’t allows at the premier because blacks and whites weren’t allowed to attend the same sort of engagements together. It’s also boring as hell and weird and there is about five minutes of good stuff in there. Even contemporary critics who couldn’t see how backward to the point of basically romanticizing slavery it was hated it for a dozen other reasons. It stinks. The other movies like that aren’t very popular these days either, Melody Time, Fun and Fancy Free, The Three Caballeros, nobody even mentions these movies, even here, except Song of the South, the worst of the four, and only because that’s the one they won’t sell.

So it’s not a good movie. Nobody really remembers having seen any of it except for Zip and then it’s got the whole Birth of a Nation thing going on...except it doesn’t really because Birth of a Nation was actually good so...what exactly do you do with something like that?

It’s really unique problem for them. Profiting from its release seems unlikely. If they did release it, even as a streaming title, I can promise you CNN and Fox will both run headlines that say “Disney Caves to Pressure, Releases SotS” or “Libtards Want if Both Ways, “Offensive” Childress Cartoon Flying Off Shelves”.

If I was running the company I’d just tell people to bootleg it. All 34 of them.

I do want a Black Cauldron BR though...

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2019, 17:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
You’re giving in to the fanboy side, turn back!

Seriously, there is MORE TO LIFE THAN STAR WARS. Look around!

Disney isn’t going to censor the century of filmmaking they now own just because they release a G rated movie or two every year. It would be suicide. I mean get real, seriously. “Aimed squarely at preschoolers”? What are you talking about? Do they still kill people in these movies? “Preschooler” means four years old, incapable of understanding all but the simplest dialogue. Can’t even ask for the correct toy at that age. Does the new SW movie have a Wheels on the Bus scene? They very very rarely kill anything in a movie aimed at “preschoolers”. This kind of comment is the very reason Star Wars fans have a reputation for being babies. They don’t even know what babies are! And here we have it explained that they aren’t frothing at the keyboard over a four year old’s cartoon but rather one aimed at eight year olds. That’s so much less disturbing coming from someone almost FIFTY in many cases. :D

Well you're right about the fanboy part, wrong about it being over Star Wars specifically.

When I said "stuff aimed squarely at preschoolers", I was referring to spinoffs like Roll Out (I think that's what it was called? I keep thinking of Optimus Prime every time), not their entire output. You could make the same argument about the Ewok cartoon and telemovies, and you'd be absolutely right, but you also have to remember those came out when the franchise was starting to slump. Which, in a sense, it's kind of doing now - except there's still a whole movie supposed to come out that actually takes place in the episodic canon.

And as for the fanboy part, I've always just hated Disney because of their mucking with public domain laws so some part of me delights in watching them fail. As far as the whole censorship thing is concerned, I see Disney as a media equivalent of the likes of Wal-Mart who refuse to stock unrated versions of movies (Blockbuster did this too so I don't have much sympathy for them either), except when they're the publisher, they have the power to not release those versions period. Of course I'd be glad to be proven wrong on this one. As far as SotS is concerned, I really only want them to release it so everyone can see for themselves that it is in fact an unremarkable and boring movie and will stop talking about it.

Also I prefer Intolerance to Birth of a Nation.

EDIT: Actually I think I will concede here because I decided to look up the view numbers for the Roll Out shorts on youtube and sure enough, they've got a 10-20 thousand views, which isn't bad but rather pathetic showing for Star Wars related content so it's impact on the overall franchise would be negligible at best, so I think I definitely jumped the gun there by using it as an example of something that kids would use to judge it's overall quality, especially since it doesn't seem like any of them are even watching the damn thing.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2019, 21:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Disney makes me want to puke for many many reasons. The way they author their DVDs to constantly bombard you with hype. The hype!

I would call it egotism but there isn’t any ego left there so it’s just...corporate push, I guess, and it’s unrelenting. Not even the President self aggrandizes to Disney’s level. Nobody does. And nothing ever made could be as great as they say they are. Every single thing they make is a “favorite” or a “classic” and they’ll go out of business before they stop telling us about it.

Then they go and “invent” FastPlay which is a way out of their hellscape...except it isn’t because once the movie starts it just plays everything on the disc on repeat forever so the ads never stop coming!

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2019, 22:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Uhhh the prez makes me feel more sick than Disney does.

Page 1 of 7 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next