It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:59

Page 4 of 7 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mandalorian
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2020, 18:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It's a very good show. Best SW since Rogue One imo.
Only 8 episodes though so the whole season isn't very long unfortunately :(

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 04:29 
Site Admin
Site Admin

gypsy wrote:
Do you like westerns is a question you should ask yourself. It's basically a western in tv show format set in the SW universe.

I'd say half way between samurai movies and westerns, just like the original Star Wars trilogy was.

The "Child" story arc is quite reminiscent of "Lone Wolf and Cub".

I'm not the only one to have noticed: https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-wars/284586/the-mandalorian-lone-wolf-and-cub

Julien

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 04:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Samurai movies and westerns are mostly the same thing in my book. Just swap swords and guns.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 13:12 
Site Admin
Site Admin

(removing forper's posts and sending him yet another warning for posting his own negative personal rants without any interesting contents)

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 16:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

admin wrote:
(removing forper's posts and sending him yet another warning for posting his own negative personal rants without any interesting contents)

While I didn't actually see what they were or remember what they were and do feel that forper does post some important info of LD.

Could we get the dolls limited, that other topic is going ballistic with doll pics all the time on an LD forum.

While I have not been on a lot of other forums and only read them when I need info on something this one goes a little off the
deep end with doll posts and some other stuff, I think we just need clearness for 2020 to get back on track of LD.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 16:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I think the doll posts are fine, as long as they aren't clogging random threads. Tasuke making his own threads, posting them in the buy thread etc. that is fair game imo.

RE Forper: He is who he is and I can respect him for that even if I disagree with some (many?) of his view points. One thing I never see him doing is changing to behave here so the question becomes should the ban be permanent? I'd actually rather have him around.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 17:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I too would rather have him around, both are actually fine but the posts should be in their own risk topic.

I do feel that Forper is helpful with stuff related to LD and hasn't gone off the deep end like LB or ranting about his 9.1 headphones to decode AC-3.
Really want to see more of his genlock which I actually posted last year? asking about how to do it and nobody answered so I may have removed the
post.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 17:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
I too would rather have him around, both are actually fine but the posts should be in their own risk topic.

I do feel that Forper is helpful with stuff related to LD and hasn't gone off the deep end like LB or ranting about his 9.1 headphones to decode AC-3.
Really want to see more of his genlock which I actually posted last year? asking about how to do it and nobody answered so I may have removed the
post.

Agree. Getting a genlock is on my to do list as well. Now I know the one Forper got works well.

Maybe it would be better if tasuke just had one thread for posting doll pics. I don't particularly care about it but maybe everyone else would be more fine with it if they didn't pop up in random threads, idk. I know he has duplicated some other posts more or less, as if he has the forum coded pic links ready to go at a moments notice. ;)

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 18:02 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

LOL I'm glad he has a cool hobby that he enjoys, I don't think its a pedo thing, its like saying some older men who collect Barbie dolls are whatever.

I remember when I had a hobby other than fixing an old house :lol: Or this is my new hobby, fixing an old house :lol:

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 21:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I just said I didn't like Rogue One (the ground battles looked like a game of paintball) and it sucks that Mandalorian is ripping off Lone Wolf and Cub. I won't watch Mandololorain anyway, coz it sounds like an old timey musical instrument to me (boring) and I don't and will never have "netflix".

Are these views and opinions forbidden? Too negative? Just think happy thoughts all the time? OKay. Sorry. :angel:

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 21:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Huh, seems tame to me.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 23:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Star Wars has been riffing on old samurai movies and westerns since the beginning. R2-D2 and C-3PO were explicitly based on the protagonists of Hidden Fortress.

Maybe that's why people like Mandalorian so much; it's sticking to the same spirit.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020, 23:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
I just said I didn't like Rogue One (the ground battles looked like a game of paintball) and it sucks that Mandalorian is ripping off Lone Wolf and Cub. I won't watch Mandololorain anyway, coz it sounds like an old timey musical instrument to me (boring) and I don't and will never have "netflix".

Are these views and opinions forbidden? Too negative? Just think happy thoughts all the time? OKay. Sorry. :angel:

I don't do netflix anymore, haven't in about 6 or so years.
No streaming other than free YT.

If they don't have DVDs from the library for Mando then I won't see it and won't lose sleep over it.

I've seen Lone Wolf so why do I really want to watch another version of that done with a green baby they.....

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2020, 09:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

^tend to agree. I like limiting myself more and more too, coz things were better in the old days when there were limits, it made you concentrate.

takeshi666 wrote:
Star Wars has been riffing on old samurai movies and westerns since the beginning. R2-D2 and C-3PO were explicitly based on the protagonists of Hidden Fortress.

Maybe that's why people like Mandalorian so much; it's sticking to the same spirit.

Good point though.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2020, 10:03 
Honest fan
Honest fan

takeshi666 wrote:

It's quite hard these days to come up with something new I guess?

If it doesn't resemble something people tend to get bored and write bad reviews because in todays society people expect to have a connection to everything.

If it does resemble something the creators gets accused for copying old material! :o

Thank god some movie directors ignore the studio standards and go their own way!
Although I must confess even I can enjoy a modern blockbuster here and there for what it is. :)

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2020, 10:27 
True fan
True fan

superemail wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

It's quite hard these days to come up with something new I guess?

If it doesn't resemble something people tend to get bored and write bad reviews because in todays society people expect to have a connection to everything.

If it does resemble something the creators gets accused for copying old material! :o

Thank god some movie directors ignore the studio standards and go their own way!
Although I must confess even I can enjoy a modern blockbuster here and there for what it is. :)

This is why I really like the Blumhouse model of film production. They give out a few million to all these random horror movie scripts that wouldn't normally get funded, and they hope that one or two end up being a hit- and so far it seems to be paying off for them.

While not entirely original, Happy Death Day and it's sequel were very fun and enjoyable "horror" films.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2020, 11:31 
Site Admin
Site Admin

pokefraker wrote:
While not entirely original, Happy Death Day and it's sequel were very fun and enjoyable "horror" films.

You might like "Ready or Not" as well then!

Julien

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2020, 12:34 
True fan
True fan

admin wrote:
pokefraker wrote:

You might like "Ready or Not" as well then!

Julien

Just grabbed it on Vudu due to your recommendation, I'll get around to it later in the week when I finally have a day off (One of two this entire month). :thumbup:

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2020, 16:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Manhunt is another small budget decent Horror movie. Norwegian movie (org title Rovdyr) from 2008.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2020, 07:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

pokefraker wrote:

This is the problem I have with modern films. They are barely original nowadays and I agree with forper with things being better
in the old days because there were limits ! Honestly, a film like "Deer Hunter" could never be released nowadays and it was a masterpiece.
There is not a single film in the last twenty years that touched me emotionally as much as the "Deer Hunter" did last weekend.
Actually, there were some excellent films, Shutter Island for instance, but those were exceptions.

Happy Death Day was absolutely terrible but that is my own personal opinion and you are perfectly entitled to your own opinion. I already knew how the
film was going to end and the main character was not likeable one bit. Just one of a million cute actresses out there.

Regarding forper, I have to admit that I find some of his posts really informative and interesting. He is very knowledgeable about certain
things and I would regret to see him gone even though I honestly do not understand certain things about him like his hatred towards Blu-ray.

I do not mind tasuke's doll posts. I simply do not read them as I have zero interest in dolls.

Last edited by confederate on 10 Jan 2020, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

Page 4 of 7 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next