It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:38

Page 5 of 7 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mandalorian
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2020, 10:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks Confederate. You too bring a lot of good thoughts and opinions to the forum that I usually agree with.

I love the story of the American experience in Deer Hunter and agree it is touching. The Vietnam sequences are highly inaccurate though and I have a big problem with them (as well as DeNiro's f'n BEARD as a Green Beret in the 'Nam era!)!although the Russian roulette scene is enthralling. I have the widescreen LD of it.

Blu Ray, I guess I was put off initially by the packaging, really poor and then the stream of remasters. I really don't like remasters, especially ones where DNR is used. I find LD more often than not, the most pure home version of most material and Blu Ray is just a crowd pleaser with smoothed out old movies that they are trying to make look more appealing to new audiences.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2020, 10:25 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
Thanks Confederate. You too bring a lot of good thoughts and opinions to the forum that I usually agree with.

I love the story of the American experience in Deer Hunter and agree it is touching. The Vietnam sequences are highly inaccurate though and I have a big problem with them (as well as DeNiro's f'n BEARD as a Green Beret in the 'Nam era!)!although the Russian roulette scene is enthralling. I have the widescreen LD of it.

Thanks! Yes that scene is excellent. You are however quite right regarding the Vietnam sequences. I do not know whether a Vietcong soldier would
actually throw a grenade into a dirt hole full of innocent civilians. The peasant population of South Vietnam was mostly sympathetic towards the Viet Cong.
Robert de Niro's acting in the Russian roulette scene in the beginning is unbelievable !

There is a late 1999 release of said film on laserdisc which I would love to own. It has a beautiful cover. But I have never seen it for sale. I hope it looks better
than the Japan ( Universal ) DVD that I own. It has a terrible transfer.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2020, 10:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I can say that the release I have is very nice imo and I like the painted cover

Deer Hunter, The (1978) [40945]

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2020, 15:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
I can say that the release I have is very nice imo and I like the painted cover

Deer Hunter, The (1978) [40945]

That movie really moved the states when released. Many Vietnam Viets struggle with PTSD to this day from that "Police Action".
"The Deer Hunter" underscored the pain taken for granted by the combatants and revealed to johnny public a peek into what some of these people went through and are dealing with on a daily basis.

Been reading quite a bit about war lately. If any members like to read about historical engagements (especially Viet Nam) I highly recommend the following :

"About Face" by Colonel David Hackworth (U.S. Army,Ret) "an odyssey of an American Warrior".

Just read about a "new" construction of a forward operating base in rice patty terrain. The bulldozers uncovered a Viet Cong soldier from over a year before who had died with his rifle in the mud. Hackworth picked up the weapon cocked it and unloaded the clip of 7.62 rounds by firing the rifle into the mud.
Since the Colt contract to issue army rifle companys the "New Armor Lite" M-16, Hackworth was one of the original "testers" of the rifle and went on at length in his book how unfit for army infantry the weapon system was. His case in point that day was by picking up that ak out of the mud and it still being combat effective. Try that with one of the now 50 years old colt issued rifles........... They needed to be CLEAN AND DIRT FREE and then still jammed regularly even when properly oiled and maintained. Which was near impossible in a jungle triple canopy when there was supply issues that resulted in NO GUN GREASE FOR WEEKS AT A TIME>
He maintained the M-16 was "great for airforce guard duty" domestically as was originally utilized before standard army issue back in the day ....

ALSO -

"We were young once, and soldiers : Ia Drang, The battle That Changed the War in Viet Nam" by Hal Moore and Joseph L. Galloway -

Book was inspiration for the Mel Gibson movie "We Were Soldiers".
If you think your life is tough, perhaps your problems are BIG, read what the guys on both sides of this conflict went through for the roughly three weeks that is covered circa 1965.
(May cause one to realize that in perspective our day to day issues are really quite miniscule......)

I know since after reading Hackworth's and Moore's books, my outlook on leadership and bravery took on a whole new meaning.
And no matter what you do for work, hobby, and/or recreation.... Training and training some more improves any craft beyond belief and may even save a life including possibly your own when the cards are down ....

Cheers to the membership peeps .....

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2020, 23:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks Firehorse, if I read books I'd be into those.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 16:35 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Well this thread went way far afield didn't it?

Watched up to the 6th episode of The Mandalorian and so far I think it's the best SW related property that Disney has put out so far. Of course that's not saying much after just having seen the mistake that Rise of Skywalker was.

And I might be a bit biased because my future wife, Gina Carano, is in The Mandalorian, but . . . whatever.

Honestly though, having also just recently visiting Disney Hollywood Studios down in Orlando, walking through "Galaxy's Edge" and going through the rigamarole of trying to get on the new "Rise of the Resistance" ride, I'm convinced Disney just bought the SW franchise just so they could add more stuff to their theme parks and print money.

And it seems to be working seeing as how when I arrived at DHS at 6AM in the morning to try to get into the "virtual queue" for "RotR" there were hundreds, perhaps thousands already there!!

On a related note (ie: Disney buying IPs and putting them in their theme parks), it's amusing as all get out that even though Disney owns Marvel Comics and all properties therein that they can't include have the major Marvel characters at the Orlando theme parks due to the licensing agreement that Universal had with Marvel prior to the Disney buyout. So if you're going down to Orlando and want to see Captain America, Spider-Man, the X-Men and related rides and attractions, make sure you go to Universal Islands of Adventure (where a friend of mine works as the X-Man, Rogue) not Disney World!

Attachment:
xmen2.jpg
xmen2.jpg [ 196.57 KiB | Viewed 3171 times ]

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 22:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Epic photo elahrairrah !
Awesome !

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2020, 14:48 
True fan
True fan

The Mandalorian is the first thing with a Star Wars pulse since Rogue one. Everything else Disney has made is utter crap. After the shitfest of force awakens I even refuse to torrent: Last Jedi or Rise of Skywalker.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020, 04:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Is Mandalorian about a space rennaisance festival? Kind of like a side story involving the band in the Cantina, but a rennaisance festival music version I assume. Can the Mandalorian talk? Or choose who can play it?

Anyway I won't know until it comes on TV here, usually takes about a year for US stuff to come out on TV here. Then it should take about 20 weeks to watch it if it's a full season. I gotta say I'm not that excited about a talking instrument, but its STAR WARS so I'll give it a chance..

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020, 04:54 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
Is Mandalorian about a space rennaisance festival? Kind of like a side story involving the band in the Cantina, but a rennaisance festival music version I assume. Can the Mandalorian talk? Or choose who can play it?

Anyway I won't know until it comes on TV here, usually takes about a year for US stuff to come out on TV here. Then it should take about 20 weeks to watch it if it's a full season. I gotta say I'm not that excited about a talking instrument, but its STAR WARS so I'll give it a chance..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This one made my laugh, good one.

While I may get it on DVD from the library or stream it for free I won't pay.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020, 07:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It's 8 episodes that are less than 1 hour each. It won't take 22 weeks to watch.
It will most likely be released on blu-ray before it gets aired here, in fact I'd be surprised if it gets on any free channels tbh. Tv has been completely s**t over here for years, which is why I stopped watching it.

Local library might get a copy you can borrow and watch, but if they only get BD I suspect you're screwed.
It won't be released on LD.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020, 07:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

deadlegion wrote:
It's 8 episodes that are less than 1 hour each. It won't take 22 weeks to watch.

No s**t???!?!?!

Quote:
It will most likely be released on blu-ray before it gets aired here, in fact I'd be surprised if it gets on any free channels tbh. Tv has been completely s**t over here for years, which is why I stopped watching it.

I know. It all started with constant scheduling shifts, then not even finishing showing shows, then digital totally killed it with low quality content to fill all the channels. I haven't had TV connected for a decade

Quote:
Local library might get a copy you can borrow and watch, but if they only get BD I suspect you're screwed.

Won't bother, don't really care about anything after about 2000

Quote:

No f***ing kidding???!!!

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020, 10:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
No s**t???!?!?!

Well, I guess you could stretch it out yourself if you really want to.

forper wrote:
No f***ing kidding???!!!

I kid you not.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020, 18:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

deadlegion wrote:

Well yes I am screwed, not because I don't own a BD player but the library here only has DVDs and barely at that.
May take them 2 years to get it if they do.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020, 21:16 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

forper wrote:

No it's about a guy who's 1/2 man, 1/2 early 80s stainless steel sports car.

Man + Image

But it doesn't have a flux capacitor.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020, 21:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
deadlegion wrote:

Well yes I am screwed, not because I don't own a BD player but the library here only has DVDs and barely at that.
May take them 2 years to get it if they do.

The Topeka library is amazing. I believe they have won some awards which makes sense. Anything big they will have a boat load of copies. Did a quick check on their catalogue for an example, Rambo Last Blood they have 25 DVDs and 8 BDs. Lots of holds on them of course. If you want to watch a big movie quickly you have to do a daily search to see if it's in their system yet and get a hold in fast.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020, 00:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Local library system here shares stuff between a bunch of branches (and also some state universities iirc) so you can do a search and ask to have something brought over to your local branch. Something isn't available in the system at all you can suggest adding it. I got a bunch of classic Doctor Who DVDs added to the local system years ago, but haven't made any suggestions recently.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020, 00:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elah - ahahahahaha, awesome, I'm definitely going to hook my TV back up when it comes on free to air here.

I think deadlegion is just f'n with me but I thought all aussies got sarcasm?

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020, 01:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I don't like beer, sport, bbq's or swimming in the sea. I have no interest in the British royal family and there aren't any anzacs on either side of my family.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2020, 06:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

firehorse_44 wrote:
Epic photo elahrairrah !
Awesome !

Thanks dude. They also have Wolverine, Cyclops, Spider-Man and Captain America there.

Villians too!

Attachments:
docdoom2.jpg
docdoom2.jpg [ 86.44 KiB | Viewed 3067 times ]

Page 5 of 7 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next