It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:04

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Digitizing Laserdiscs
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2019, 19:43 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Can anyone share their experience with digitizing Laserdiscs? I am looking at picking up a vcapture device and want to archive music Videos from Laserdisc. I am interested in hardware used and techniques used.

I know I can capture at 480x720 for NTSC SD but probebly want an intermediate format something not so compressed so that I can make some edits.

I am also concerned that 480X720 with h264 just may not cut the mustard with some NTSC laserdiscs. I would prefer to preserve all the quality possible.

Also especially for PAL content I am considerng capturing all at 720P which brings the topic of Inverse Telecine and deinterlacing.

I think that all laserdiscs are PAL or NTSC standard frame rates , and while merging 2 fields to make a frame is probably not an issue with film content , it may be with Video content at 720P . I do not believe that inverse telecne removes the correct frames anyway it just removes some frames without paying attention to which frames are made of "tween" frames, etc, thus reducing and possibly destroying temporal resolution.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Post subject: Re: Digitizing Laserdiscs
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2019, 21:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nowadays you really want Apple ProRes for archiving.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019, 17:08 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I use one of these:

Hauppauge 610 USB-Live 2

With an external comb filter (currently Sony MBD-XBR900L for me) and VirtualDub for as uncompressed capture as possible (like 130Mbps video--a 4:04 music video takes up 4.74GB!!!)

I then use Pinnacle Studio for editing. It's not the best, but it's affordable and user friendly.

But if money was no object and I had a lot of time, I'd be using Adobe Premiere.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2019, 18:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I personally use DaVinci Resolve for all NLE and video conversion. It gives me full control of the project, color management, levels etc and it's completely free. ProRes export is only available on MacOS though but on Windows you can at least get DNxHD which is almost identical in most aspects with exception for metadata.

Tbh file sizes for ProRes are very manageble. One hour of ProRes 422 footage in 720x480 with 59.94 fields per second equals to 18GB. Compression is light (only visible in extreme cases) and generation loss is very small.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]