It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:07

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Blu Ray sucks ! (according to AVGN)
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 06:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

What do you guys think of this ?
to me it's just a load of bs reasons, like "oh menus aren't as good", do you guys really find that a bad menu is a deal breaker... :lol:
And all his ranting about ads and logos that you can't skip and what not, I never experienced any of this tbh.
Oh and "the name is dumb, it's called BLU ray but the disc isn't blue, duh huh..." :clap:
I really don't understand the point of this video.

Post subject: Re: Blu Ray sucks ! (according to AVGN)
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 07:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

With the ads and stuff like that on BD, I personally find that players I've used can skip most things and get straight to the menu. Eg Star Trek TNG BD releases most of the seasons have promos (on the first disc at least iirc) for other Star Trek BD releases, you can skip past tha s**t no problem.

But on DVD I went through years of not being able to skip annoying piracy videos. Also, VHS had stuff on it too that you had to either FF through (not good for tapes imo) or sit there and flick your bean.

At the end of the day no format is perfect, but as a physical format BD can be quite good as the discs can hold a fair amount of stuff. Sure quality might vary sometimes but truly terrible BD's aren't as common as terrible DVD releases. A lot of stuff on BD is affordable too.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 07:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Alot of his issues seem to stem from using a old playstation
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 07:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I skip stuff on PS3. Those promo vids I mentioned anyway.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 07:30 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Screw that guy, he sucks. I’m not giving him a single view.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 08:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The business about encryption key updates seems odd. I don't bluray. That would seem horrible for long term use when the format is obsolete. Imagine having a disc + player found in a junk store decades in the future and it tries to phone home to a dead address. Just give me LD with total control over something you paid for: no awful forced trailers, menu loading, evil MPAA tricks.

It pretty amazing this guy has made a ton of money making crummy Youtube videos. Very lucky.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 09:11 
ryosaeba84 wrote:

What do you guys think of this ?
to me it's just a load of bs reasons, like "oh menus aren't as good", do you guys really find that a bad menu is a deal breaker... :lol:
And all his ranting about ads and logos that you can't skip and what not, I never experienced any of this tbh.
Oh and "the name is dumb, it's called BLU ray but the disc isn't blue, duh huh..." :clap:
I really don't understand the point of this video.

He's a master clickbaiter, a youtube Geraldo if you like.
Without giving him that satisfaction we can respond to what you've pointed out:
Bad Menus: yes these are annoying, particularly the stylized progress bars that come up when you pause so you can't get a clean still.
Logos: I always thought Steam users crazy when they'd mod out three second splash screens for PhysX, but there are some BDs that are changing my mind. Then again, these are more like ten + seconds. Not on all BDs of course.
Bookmarks: should be a great feature, and maybe it's my player, but these never outlast powering down. A bookmark doesn't disappear when you shelve a book, ergo... And there's always a menu to access the bookmarks, when all that should be necessary is cycling the yellow and blue keys.
None of these are dealbreakers, they just don't help.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 10:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

deadlegion wrote:
But on DVD I went through years of not being able to skip annoying piracy videos. Also, VHS had stuff on it too that you had to either FF through (not good for tapes imo) or sit there and flick your bean.

I have a chipped DVD player that skips anything like that. Not if those VHS were dubs from Laserdisc.

btw, you're a female?

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 10:43 
Serious fan
Serious fan

jakeheke wrote:
Alot of his issues seem to stem from using a old playstation

Well I'm also using a ps3 as a BD and DVD player at the moment and I never experienced any of his difficulties, and I'm using the controller as a remote.

snipesbackhand wrote:
ryosaeba84 wrote:
Bookmarks: should be a great feature, and maybe it's my player, but these never outlast powering down. A bookmark doesn't disappear when you shelve a book, ergo... And there's always a menu to access the bookmarks, when all that should be necessary is cycling the yellow and blue keys.

Well to me, I don't understand why one would start a movie if you know you won't be able to finish it in one sitting but whatever, bookmarks became kinda counter productive in my situation.
When I was watching BD on the regular, I was using a pretty recent player and this thing would automatically save the last position on almost any discs (bd or dvd), the thing is, when I want to rewatch a movie, no matter how much time it was since my last viewing, most of the time the player will start the disc at the end credits of the movie.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 11:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
I have a chipped DVD player that skips anything like that. Not if those VHS were dubs from Laserdisc.

Any retail VHS in Australia would have a copyright warning even if only a brief one. Imports or pirated tapes are different, same story with DVD.
I have a region free BD player that can skip anything, but I only use it for out-of-region imports so it will last longer. I'm currently using a PS3 SS (top loader) for DVD R4 and BD region B.

Don't have any DVD players now, gave the last one away years ago but that was RF.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 15:02 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I don't trust any film or movie collector who doesn't own LDs.

So the few seconds of the click bait got me to see that part.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 16:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I watched this last night. Honestly it's one of the worst videos I've ever seen from him. The points pretty much all suck. The bit about cases was particularly lame. DVD had just as many awful cases and digipaks. In a perfect world we wouldn't have disc sleeve releases of BDs but I could likely find at least two s**t DVD cases for each bad BD case. The one with some legs imo is the lack of extras outside of premium companies and releases.

Lack of bookmarks working does suck. They never work on sd bds.

The menus I don't really care about.

As far as James in general he has put in a ton of work and his videos are much better produced than a lot of yt content especially when he started. I understand not liking him but there are reasons he is successful.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 17:29 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Unless this is a parody video, I'm not watching anything that claims that blu-ray sucks if they're saying older formats are better.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 20:07 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

harlock wrote:
The business about encryption key updates seems odd. I don't bluray. That would seem horrible for long term use when the format is obsolete. Imagine having a disc + player found in a junk store decades in the future and it tries to phone home to a dead address. Just give me LD with total control over something you paid for: no awful forced trailers, menu loading, evil MPAA tricks.

It pretty amazing this guy has made a ton of money making crummy Youtube videos. Very lucky.

My two BR players are a MkII PS3 and a 2nd generation Sony stand-alone thing.

The PS3 in general is a maddening machine. It has wasted SO many people’s time. Technical troubles that can easily consume an entire evening if not two. As a BR player though...I’m not sure I have one complaint. It’s always updated, of course. It won’t even run unless it’s updated. This machine pretty much made me a Nintendo fan for life since the time wasting like this is almost nonexistent on Nintendo’s stuff and for me I’ve never had a single problem with any of their consoles and I’ve owned everything but a US NES and a 64DD. Nintendo is like the Panasonic of consoles.

The stand-alone has never once been connected to the internet or updated in anyway and has played every disc I’ve ever thrown at it for a decade or more. It’s slow as HELL though and discs from Disney in particular can stick you with load times of a couple of minutes just to get to the menus. Discs made more plainly, like Bandai Visual stuff will load about as quickly as DVDs.

Last edited by signofzeta on 14 Feb 2020, 03:36, edited 2 times in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 21:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

James Rolfe isn't a tech guy so I don't know what people were expecting.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 21:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
James Rolfe isn't a tech guy so I don't know what people were expecting.

When I first clicked it I wasn't really sure to be honest.

I think it's just that he is popular (relatively) so this will be watched and discussed much more than if it were some random youtuber.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 21:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I mean he's watching them on an old Playstation, we have no idea what sort of TV he has that thing hooked up to, and I pretty much guarantee he doesn't even have a dedicated sound system and watches everything on the internal speakers.

Although I definitely agree with him about the bonus features.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 21:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
I mean he's watching them on an old Playstation, we have no idea what sort of TV he has that thing hooked up to, and I pretty much guarantee he doesn't even have a dedicated sound system and watches everything on the internal speakers.

Although I definitely agree with him about the bonus features.

I'm going to assume his gear sucks too if he thinks streaming is up to par.

One thing zeta is right about is the ps3 is absolutely glacial in everything it does.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 22:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Streaming is *really* good these days. It’s rather muted and artifact ridden compared to a Blu-ray but all the streaming services obliterate standard DVD nowadays if you have a good connection and I used to be of the opinion that this would never come to pass. Even YouTube has some really high quality videos. This 4K streaming thing though, not really very impressive. :) Just not enough data, not even close.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2020, 00:49 
ryosaeba84 wrote:
Well to me, I don't understand why one would start a movie if you know you won't be able to finish it in one sitting but whatever, bookmarks became kinda counter productive in my situation.
When I was watching BD on the regular, I was using a pretty recent player and this thing would automatically save the last position on almost any discs (bd or dvd), the thing is, when I want to rewatch a movie, no matter how much time it was since my last viewing, most of the time the player will start the disc at the end credits of the movie.

Bookmarks are for revisiting.
Yeah my BD player normally resumes where I left off; my LD too.

What specifically? PSN for sure, but I'd be curious what else. Are you using a fat model?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next