It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:30

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: I came for the LD talk, I stay for the everything else
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2020, 05:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

This forum is amazing.

Of course I joined because after lusting after LD since the early '90s, I finally got a player in 2009 (8 years after getting my first title). I'm never going back and I'll always come to this excellently maintained place to exchange LD chat and knowledge.

However the thing that I also come for more and more is the diversity of interests here. There is an amazing variety of people into every nerd thing you could think of, all brought together by LD. This place is like a venn diagram of everything cool with LD in the middle. Not all stuff I'm into but it's important to be introduced to stuff you wouldn't normally seek out I think. Widen your viewpoints. Maybe you'll come across something new here you weren't aware of before and is so cool to you. That's cool.

It's a testament to LD's diversity and quality too. That so many people from different walks and with different interests all collect various LD titles for personal reasons here. I don't see too many collector types here "investing". It's people who love the content and the delivery method.

Long Live LDDB!

Post subject: Re: I came for the LD talk, I stay for the everything else
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2020, 11:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

forper wrote:
This forum is amazing.
I don't see too many collector types here "investing". It's people who love the content and the delivery method.

Long Live LDDB!

:thumbup:

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2020, 11:50 
True fan
True fan

Couldn't agree more :thumbup:

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2020, 15:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Giant, LP-Record-sized CDs. a Novelty i simply couldn't say no to
when i first truly took serious notice of LD back in the early-2000's.

the internet was instrumental in it all, as i discovered that PIONEER, my favorite A/V make, was prime shepherd of the format,
and that they made many very handsome, desirable players over the course of the format's shelf-life.

just as importantly, a great many films i grew up on were heavily produced
during the format's Halcyon years in the U.S. market, and all readily available for cheap.

finally, the format was also host to a great deal of the Vintage/Semi-Vintage Anime that i heard plenty about,
and even saw some of, during the formative years of my Anime Fandom back in the mid/late-90's.

so, even though i never actually grew up with LD, there are a great many aspects of the format that manage to make me feel as if i actually had,
and all of it ultimately adds up to some very potent emotional wallop from a mere long-outmoded Home Video format...

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2020, 23:06 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I will always own LDs and enjoy them, while I may be cutting my collection in half there are so many titles to keep and enjoy
more than streaming or other formats.

I have changed up a lot of LDs to DVDs, while I enjoy the films more than format I do have to say LD is the best no matter what.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2020, 00:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Many thanks to the community here for taking time to read and share opinions, experiences and knowledge.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2020, 00:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

LD really did have everything on it.

I like that within reason you can really just speak your mind on here. Might keep some people away which is unfortunate but a trade-off I am happy to make if the alternative is something like neogaf or it's replacement I forget the name of.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 06:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah Gypsy, Julien is pretty light on the moderation which is a very good thing imo.

tasuke wrote:
Giant, LP-Record-sized CDs. a Novelty i simply couldn't say no to
when i first truly took serious notice of LD back in the early-2000's.

the internet was instrumental in it all, as i discovered that PIONEER, my favorite A/V make, was prime shepherd of the format,
and that they made many very handsome, desirable players over the course of the format's shelf-life.

just as importantly, a great many films i grew up on were heavily produced
during the format's Halcyon years in the U.S. market, and all readily available for cheap.

finally, the format was also host to a great deal of the Vintage/Semi-Vintage Anime that i heard plenty about,
and even saw some of, during the formative years of my Anime Fandom back in the mid/late-90's.

so, even though i never actually grew up with LD, there are a great many aspects of the format that manage to make me feel as if i actually had,
and all of it ultimately adds up to some very potent emotional wallop from a mere long-outmoded Home Video format...

Good post Tasuke, I love your input and perspective here.

Yeah even though I didn't personally own an LD until 2001 and even then I was watching my single title on a Japanese university's library LD player, I feel like I grew up with LD. All those fansubs I used to mail away to the States for were mastered from LD, so I've seen the stuff I'm watching now, just a few dub generations later. Watching the LDs now with my own genlock brings an indescribable happiness because it comes with all the nostalgia of those fansub tapes but straight from the source, better quality than I've ever witnessed without losing its soul like a cleaned up blu ray would.

It's like my memories but in HD. Recent rewatchings of Video Girl Ai and Gunbuster have really had this effect. So happy. :D

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 06:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
This forum is amazing.

Of course I joined because after lusting after LD since the early '90s, I finally got a player in 2009 (8 years after getting my first title). I'm never going back and I'll always come to this excellently maintained place to exchange LD chat and knowledge.

However the thing that I also come for more and more is the diversity of interests here. There is an amazing variety of people into every nerd thing you could think of, all brought together by LD. This place is like a venn diagram of everything cool with LD in the middle. Not all stuff I'm into but it's important to be introduced to stuff you wouldn't normally seek out I think. Widen your viewpoints. Maybe you'll come across something new here you weren't aware of before and is so cool to you. That's cool.

It's a testament to LD's diversity and quality too. That so many people from different walks and with different interests all collect various LD titles for personal reasons here. I don't see too many collector types here "investing". It's people who love the content and the delivery method.

Long Live LDDB!

Since I joined I've spent quite a bit of time reading here about all sorts of stuff I might not have otherwise.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 06:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

:thumbup:

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]