It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:41

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: PS3 hybrid blu-ray releases
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2020, 05:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I've created a thread nearly identical to this elsewhere (on a gaming site) but thought I'd do it here too because I might be able to get some help from both movie lovers and gamers.

I'm looking around for a list of blu-ray releases that are hybrid discs.
That is they have standard blu-ray content and also PS3 only content (complete games, game demos or extras etc that can only be accessed on a PS3 console).
None of the content (BD or PS3) is necessarily exclusive, although maybe some of the anime stuff is. I really don't much about that.
There are some Japan only anime BD releases I have spotted that are hybrid, I can't recall the title names right now but I can update if I find them again.

Japanese anime:
Do You Remember Love Super Dimension Fortress Macross Hybrid Pack 30th Anniversary Limited Edition Box
MACROSS F Itsuwari no Utahime & Sayonara no Tsubasa Hybrid Pack
^Actually, I did some reading and information about these Macross hybrid releases is confusing as hell (for me anyway).
There are probably more but I'm getting confused about individual titles and bundled sets :crazy:

Eureka Seven AO: Jungfrau no Hanabanatachi Game & OVA Hybrid Disc

For western/world stuff...

PS3:
Tekken Hybrid
Days of Thunder Nascar Edition
Top Gun The Wingman Edition
Watchmen The End Is Nigh The Complete Experience
John Woo's Stranglehold Collector's Edition (has Hard Boiled remastered)

Blu-ray:
District 9 (has God of War III demo)
Battle Los Angeles (has Resistance 3 demo)

Any help adding more BD and game titles to the list would be appreciated :)
My apologies in advance if this has already been discussed here.

Last edited by deadlegion on 11 Oct 2020, 05:19, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: PS3 hybrid blu-ray releases
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2020, 05:39 
True fan
True fan

I know this isn't a blue-ray or PS3 thing, but the bonus DVD for the original star wars trilogy (the silver set one) had a playable demo for Star Wars Battlefront on the original Xbox. It was a pretty early version of the game, and I wish I still had a copy laying around.

As for the matter at hand, does Dragon's Lair count? It was released as a Blu-Ray but I think it only functions on Ps3 if I remember correctly. I know it doesn't matter now that the trilogy has been released digitally everywhere, but at the time it was a fun release.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2020, 06:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

pokefraker wrote:
I know this isn't a blue-ray or PS3 thing, but the bonus DVD for the original star wars trilogy (the silver set one) had a playable demo for Star Wars Battlefront on the original Xbox. It was a pretty early version of the game, and I wish I still had a copy laying around.

As for the matter at hand, does Dragon's Lair count? It was released as a Blu-Ray but I think it only functions on Ps3 if I remember correctly. I know it doesn't matter now that the trilogy has been released digitally everywhere, but at the time it was a fun release.

I have the bonus DVD with Battlefront demo. I probably actually have at least 2 of those bonus discs, maybe 3.

Dragon's Lair and I think at least one other laserdisc game title (Space Ace maybe?) has been ported to regular DVD (you use the remote as a controller), I can't recall a BD version but I'd be surprised if it's PS3 only. Unless it's PS3 digital (PSN) but that isn't BD.
The DVD version has "Xbox Compatible" on the front cover, but maybe there are cover variants that don't have that (I mean if the DVD has still being produced after the Xbox console was no longer being made).

Dragon's Lair 3D was released on PS2/Xbox/Gamecube/PC but it isn't the original game ported over.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2020, 09:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

IIRC there may be a Fist of the North Star game that is a hybrid. By the time you read this though you're already dead.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2020, 04:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Did some reading about Dragon's Lair BD release.
DL II and Space Ace were apparently remastered for BD as well some years back (much like the DVD versions were even longer ago).

None of those are PS3 only, they work on normal blu-ray players but I'm not sure if they're region locked versions or if they're all A/B/C.
Of course they will work on PS3 just like any other game console that has a BD drive (eg Xbox One and PS4) but they are not hybrid blu-ray discs afaik.
Both the DVD and BD versions of all three titles are OOP.
The BD versions are pretty expensive (well, where I am anyway but that's because all current suppliers are overseas).

All three games did have a more recent release as a trilogy... for Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (I don't know about PC).
It is a limited run trilogy and the only variant I can see for sale locally is the Switch version.
Probably OOP but idk. It's hard to tell with limited run games in the current climate :crazy:

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]