It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:42

Page 24 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tat you've bought to clutter your home with (Reprise)
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2021, 09:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks chaps. :thumbup: I've been training non-stop since January for it (well, I was training for the Ironman 70.3 that got cancelled back in June until 2022 for obvious reasons). Had to switch out my training to suddenly incorporate an ultramarathon. Was a bit off/on at first adjusting. Hasn't gone all that well due to a number of other commitments, but hopefully I'll pull it off in September. The aim is just to finish it (and beat the first cut-off time of course in order to actually be allowed to finish the race).

Anything under 10 hours for a finishing time I'll be delighted with! :angel:

RE: The jacket. Yep unfortunately most of those types of jackets do that as they don't have adequate venting. They're more designed to protect you in a deluge, and if you are at altitude they'll help deflect the wind a bit too. You won't be super warm in one, but then again you can't really run in any heavier type of jacket. Sure I guess that's part of the reason why a bivvy bag etc are mandatory kit!

Side note: The R7G will hopefully live forever. Just remember to pet it a couple of times a day. Read excerpts from the instruction manual to it at bedtime every day. Oh and make sure to open and close it's tray before going to bed too. A happy R7G is a (hopefully) long lasting and working R7G! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2021, 16:52 
True fan
True fan

A true classic fresh from USA.

Attachments:
235767611_674154900212140_5661510305021095802_n.jpg
235767611_674154900212140_5661510305021095802_n.jpg [ 421.62 KiB | Viewed 2060 times ]

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2021, 20:03 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

another one and last ikea for awhile and last Kallax period. I did it differently this time and left the one divider out. I like this way.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2021, 22:44 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

last one for awhile

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2021, 12:27 
True fan
True fan

These babies finally came back in stock so I immediately jumped on it.

Attachments:
239876435_680383642922599_8235034756826863023_n.jpg
239876435_680383642922599_8235034756826863023_n.jpg [ 442.3 KiB | Viewed 2001 times ]
238210180_680383662922597_7648194787958906963_n.jpg
238210180_680383662922597_7648194787958906963_n.jpg [ 178.41 KiB | Viewed 2001 times ]

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2021, 13:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I really like my Mega SG. I know it's pretty much the same difference as emulation but once I got mine and used it a bit I had no problems just getting rid of my Genesis carts and playing from an SD card.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2021, 14:13 
True fan
True fan

Well it supports everdrive, I will maybe look in to that thing some day. But I bought it because it is an FPGA and not software emulation like retron. And it also works with Sega CD which is simply brilliant.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2021, 16:14 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I definitely prefer FPGA to software emulation, especially if we're talking about software emulation running on an OS. Gets rid of all the extra variables from background processes that can disrupt the game. To my knowledge the current crop of FPGA solutions also have far fewer edge-cases in compatibility with weirdly programmed titles.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2021, 18:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

therussian wrote:
Well it supports everdrive, I will maybe look in to that thing some day. But I bought it because it is an FPGA and not software emulation like retron. And it also works with Sega CD which is simply brilliant.

You don't need an everdrive is the main point. You just jailbreak the thing and it can play multiple systems. I do have a Sega CD attached to mine as well. Just a really nice device.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2021, 20:11 
True fan
True fan

I am not a fan of jailbreaking anything.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2021, 21:21 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Just added the Terminator 2 snapcase DVD to my collection. This release contains the CDS 5.1 mix.

Edited to include photo of my Terminator video collection.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2021, 23:45 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

should have checked the dimensions this was for the VCRs but there too big

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2021, 16:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Got a handful of new Blu's recently.

First up Lego Ninjago Movie 3D. Not particularly one for myself but I know of small people that will likely enjoy it (and I may have to watch too, 'just for quality control purposes' of course).

Picked up a new, sealed copy of Star Wars: The Greed In Disney Awakens. Already got a used copy a few weeks ago but the material used on the outer box is all peeling and yucky. Decided to move that on and replace it with a fresh copy.

Next up is Das Syndikat, aka, La Polizia Ringrazia. An exclusive Blu yet again for the good people of Germany. This is, if you haven't guessed already, another whopper looking 1970's Italian crime and ultraviolence fiesta! Interestingly it mentions on the back of the slipcase (and I quote): "Der prototype des Poliziot Tesco". Now, I don't know about you but that either means this film is the standard upon which all British supermarkets should aspire to, or, it's the prototype 'Poliziotteschi' (aka: 1970's whopper Italian crime films). :think:

Last up is a Blu box I talked myself in to thanks to the discussion about the Watch Out We're Mad! Laserdisc on these here forums recently. The Bud Spencer XXL Jumbo Box is a set of 14 films on 14 discs that collects the 4 Bud Spencer box sets in to one XXL Jumbo collection. A point to note is that a lot of the titles here are German and Italian only. Some don't even have English audio or subtitles anywhere. However I don't think that's as big an issue as it may appear on the face of it.

Look at the facts. You can't get these films anywhere else in the same quality, scanned from the negatives and in their proper aspect ratios along with original audio tracks. The red tape these 3L releases are buried under means you may be waiting a lifetime and more for a release outside Germany, Italy and Spain. Note that on one of the films (though I've not seen it yet, I just ran as fast as I could to my TV and threw in Watch Out We're Mad!) there is reportedly a very poor quality opening credits sequence from an alternate version of the film in question which then switches to HD. The reason? Apparently due to crazy legal issues surrounding the opening credits. I did warn you that the red tape runs very deep with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer films. You only have to look at the credits in the films, on posters etc to see the numbers involved in co-producing these films to get a hint that a legal minefield awaits.

Regardless, the best course of action with these discs (unless you speak native/fluent German and Italian) is to run them through MakeMKV, dump your discs on to a NAS or other storage medium, grab the English (or whatever language you require) subtitles and use that tool I was on about a while back to sync up the subtitles.

Job done!

Side notes on Watch Out We're Mad!: Picture quality is the best I've ever seen it AND it is in the correct AR (for the first time ever perhaps? I'm not sure). Sound seems to be fairly good. Though I note that if you run the Italian audio track, lots of the little quips that are spoken are missing. These must have been additions to the English dub audio track. Oh and another thing I noticed for the first time ever. The very start of the film (after the opening credits sequence) just as the rally cars are coming over the hill, if you look closely you will see some superb dubious health and safety in action. One of the cars loses their entire windscreen (in one solid piece I should add) just as the car crests the hill. If that hit someone on the head as it span wildly across the track then someone would probably be killed!

One other thing to note, the title of the film here is the original English title, 'Otherwise We'll Get Mad!', not 'Watch Out We're Mad!' which I think was the USA title I'm not sure?

Anyway, it's a whoppper Blu set. You just might need to put in some effort to get the films how you want them. Good luck to you if you choose to wait for a better release it is highly likely it won't happen (now watch this comment date rapidly!).

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2021, 18:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

teddanson wrote:
Side notes on Watch Out We're Mad!: Picture quality is the best I've ever seen it AND it is in the correct AR (for the first time ever perhaps? I'm not sure). Sound seems to be fairly good. Though I note that if you run the Italian audio track, lots of the little quips that are spoken are missing. These must have been additions to the English dub audio track. Oh and another thing I noticed for the first time ever. The very start of the film (after the opening credits sequence) just as the rally cars are coming over the hill, if you look closely you will see some superb dubious health and safety in action. One of the cars loses their entire windscreen (in one solid piece I should add) just as the car crests the hill. If that hit someone on the head as it span wildly across the track then someone would probably be killed!

One other thing to note, the title of the film here is the original English title, 'Otherwise We'll Get Mad!', not 'Watch Out We're Mad!' which I think was the USA title I'm not sure?

OMG I need to spin that right now to see the windshield flying off.

EDIT: just saw it, thought it was the front but the rear windshield that flew off, crazy.
They do some amazing car stunts in that film, and motorcycle too.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2021, 13:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's crazy isn't it? The bygone days of being a stunt driver.

Making a movie in the 1970's; unless you've experienced being hurtled face-first through a windscreen at 150 mph, lost all of your limbs in the process and been near-crushed to death by the car rolling over you AND THEN received on-the-spot open heart surgery while your lifeless corpse is slumped across the smouldering bonnet of a Lotus Cortina while one of the crew who just so happens to have a St John Ambulance certificate in first aid performs an emergency tracheotomy on you with a knackered HB pencil, then you could NOT call yourself a stunt driver.

In fact I think that was just a hazing in to the profession back then? :think:

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2021, 14:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah, I remember always reading or hearing in the news about someone who was seriously injured or died from stunt film stuff.
Not like today, but then again we now have almost 8 billion people now on the planet.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 20:01 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

finally a remote for my CRT! :rock:

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 22:49 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

xtempo wrote:

Was driving by a game toy store today and saw that they had a giant 32 banger in their window.
Guess they are going to start up CRT day :lol: Along with back therapy day :oops:

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2021, 02:04 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

rein-o wrote:
xtempo wrote:

Was driving by a game toy store today and saw that they had a giant 32 banger in their window.
Guess they are going to start up CRT day :lol: Along with back therapy day :oops:

I wouldn't need back therapy. mine is so light it's only a 14" model. I do miss my bigger screens but since having to move around without much help I am glad for this little fella.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2021, 07:51 
True fan
True fan

The F. nerd arrived early :D

Attachments:
IMG_E7483.JPG
IMG_E7483.JPG [ 485.14 KiB | Viewed 1808 times ]

Page 24 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 37  Next