It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:57

Page 3 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tat you've bought to clutter your home with (Reprise)
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2020, 12:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That seems a bit silly. If you're just gonna have them for display, at least get ones with nicer covers!

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2020, 21:40 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Nicer cover art, or nicer condition?

I like the faces covers (what "Star Wars looked like" when I was of the age to start to remember). The only thing I could see replacing them (since the theater as a whole is Star Wars themed) would be Big Sleeve Editions of Rogue One, The Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi... but those are way too expensive to import, especially just for display purposes. I think I have $7/disc in the Faces set, and the SE box resides on the coffee table.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2020, 21:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Got a Panasonic TC-P50ST50 to replace my old plasma. A marked improvement.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2020, 12:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Game Boy Color (Grape)

Game Boy Player (GameCube) - Spice Orange
Assassin's Creed Valhalla Gold Edition (Xbox One)

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2020, 15:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Can't believe these showed up, and at the same time too. Seller pics as they've to make their way from Japan:

Hawaiian Breeze VHS aaaaaannnndd the Hawaiian Breeze Soundtrack!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

No-brainer instabuys. King Biscuit indeed! Read more about Hawaiian Breeze here on LDDB forums if you wish to. Oh and by the way, I found out today that the director of Hawaiian Breeze was also responsible for:

1. Battle Angel Alita
  2. Fatal Fury
  3. Art Of Fighting
  4. Doreamon: Nobita's Dinosaur
  5. Locke The Superstar

...and of course Hawaiian Breeze. Plus some other stuff. https://letterboxd.com/director/hiroshi-fukutomi/

Also got a great Hitchcock set of Blu's to go with the one's I got recently. Perhaps a good Hitchcock binge over Christmas? Never seen any of his stuff, including Psycho, until the box set I got a couple of weeks ago. 3 films down 9 jillion to go! Actually I tell a lie, I've got the Criterion Blu of Foreign Correspondent last year and have watched that. Excellent film. :thumbup:

Lastly, I dunno how many of you are in to tea. Personally I don't like wearing bollock-strangling jeans at Starbucks and sitting in front of the window all day showing everyone how hard at work I am on my latest self-published novel or Cryptocurrency startup fundraiser rally on my 2020 Macbook Pro.

Tea is where it's at. Though with that said you can do some serious hipster bollock strangling when it comes to tea. That ain't me, I just like tea. Always have.

If you want to go for full and utter bollock sterilisation though, there's stuff like this beaut I got the other day from a local Loose Leaf crowd. They also do absolutely whopper honey from Lithuania that has Sea Buckthorn in it. When you open the jar the sea buckthorn is a vomit fruit, so the jar smells like a paving slab outside a kebab house on a Friday night. Tastes utterly biblical though in a smoothie. Recommended. :thumbup:

Anyway, this stuff is a 2010 Menghai Yi Dian Hong Pu’erh tea cake. It's a vintage tea I guess, for want of a better word. Instead of loose leaves you smash the compressed cake up and crumble in how much you need to a brewing pot and brew it at the right temperature for just a few mins. With this kind of stuff you want to be using it sparingly as it's very expensive. The good news is though that you can keep these cakes in a bamboo box and wrapped in their original paper. They only get better with age. Got a few other teas too for regular use, not as interesting but you can get some juicy stuff from Kenya, India and Rwanda (there's a smashing tea from Rwanda and a Happy Valley Darejeeling that are superb starter teas if you are just moving away from a cup of PG Tips or what have you). I appreciate this won't go down well in the US where drinking cups of hot, tarry poisonous magma nicknamed Joseph is the preferred beverage of choice! :D

Some of the bollock-strangling teas can taste pretty rough so if you are looking to expand your tea horizons, always start with a sample pouch to see what you like and then go from there. Thankfully this one shouldn't taste like the helicopter seat the pilot sat on in Treasure Hunt, or the gusset in Anneka Rice's jumpsuit in Challenge Anneka. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2020, 15:48 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Nice, I picked up 3, 2 cakes and 1 brick about 3 weeks ago.
Really nicer to do loose than bags, been doing so for the past 6 or more years.

Now have a nice yixing with lotus seeds on the lid and enjoy it.
But today doing the loose leaf in a larger ceramic pot I use, yesterday did the puer.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2020, 16:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Totally agree. Our elders had it so good with tea strainers and loose leaf tea. Then we come along and just mess it all up with teabags that don't biodegrade and all the other rubbish that's mass produced and sat in a warehouse for about 6000 years before us schmucks go and buy it.

Loose leaf is the only way for me today. Even the cheap Tesco own brand loose leaf in the red box is a superb little every day tea (granted it's mass produced etc etc) and about a third or less of the price of a box of bags. I don't have the time to go plums-deep on a proper Matcha set up. The bamboo whisk, ceramic kettle and a concubine hired at a reasonable rate. I've settled for a nice little Bodum glass teapot with stainless steel inner.

Black teas, blue peaflower and some more fun stuff like nice Christmas or seasonal teas are great. You certainly pay a premium but I think it's worth it. Unlike other stuff you can get in to where it sits still sealed and gathering dust, at least with tea it has to be drunk in a reasonable time. I've not tried the Pu'erh yet, maybe save that for another day once I get more confident at brewing it.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2020, 17:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I just let the loose sit at the bottom of the teapot, if I do happen to drink a little of the leaves its OK and won't kill me as its vegetation.

I found a site that told me to put an amount of pu erh in the small yixing teapot and then pour it right out after the hot water hits it, you will
get the timing right, only about 10 or so seconds, sometimes longer if you use the tea all day.

Its nice as its stronger and my wife thinks I'm drinking coffee its that dark on the first pours.
I'll never do the bags again but I personally don't bother with strainers, just how I roll LOL but nothing wrong with strainers.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2020, 17:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That's similar to what I was told for the Pu'erh brewing instructions too.

Quote:
Break off a well-sized portion of the compressed tea. First just rinse the tea leaves with 85-89 °C temperature water for 15 seconds and discard the liquid. Next infuse the tea with water just off the boil at 98 °C for a minute, increasing the brewing time for following infusions.

I prefer using a strainer as I wasn't born before the war and I'm not Russell Grant or Mystic Meg. I have two mug-sized strainers. One is plastic with a metal inner. Basically the same as what you'd find in a coffee machine. The other is stainless steel throughout and looks the bizzo. That's my daily driver. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2020, 17:42 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

This is the teapot I use and its got small holes, some will still go through.
Understand about the strainer, I'm just trying to be tough or lazy LOL

I don't think I'll ever buy the brick again, it was too hard and couldn't break it easily.
the cakes are easier for me, haven't tried these two yet but will be excited to try them.
The brick was cheap and tastes fine like one I had from the past but its hard.

Attachments:
20201209_113315-1.jpg
20201209_113315-1.jpg [ 390.05 KiB | Viewed 2588 times ]
20201209_113352-1.jpg
20201209_113352-1.jpg [ 233.47 KiB | Viewed 2588 times ]

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2020, 17:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I buy loose leaf tea almost exclusively still. The only bagged tea I buy is in medium sized sachets for brewing cold.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2020, 18:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Never thought there would be some loose leaf tea enthusiasts on a Laserdisc forum! :thumbup:

Even when you first dip your toe in with a very cheap supermarket tea, compared to the same tea in a bag the difference imho is night and day. Granted there's some out there that are like licking the sweat from Roseanne Barr's underboob. Or a dog licking it's arse. But there's some real beauts out there that taste absolutely tremendous! That's the fun part, just picking up a few samples. Chundering while sniffing what can only be described as Jimmy Crankie's used jocks with one or two, or discovering an absolute whopper tea by pure chance. Great craic!

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2020, 22:05 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

and

:D happy just need to get more of Linda and the Dark Crystal some time (don't have netflix so I've not seen age of resistence or whatever that is)

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2020, 20:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just bought this thing.

Normally not crazy about virtual pets in general, but I had to have this because the premise is so delightfully messed up; you feed the Rancor Gamorrean guards and alien dancers. There's a mean streak to this one I like. Too bad there's a whole bunch of dead pixels in it :(

Oh yeah and I also got the last missing part for another vintage Transformers toy, and I finally picked up the director's cut of Wrath of Khan on blu-ray along with that Roddenberry Vault thing.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2020, 23:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Got these this week. The Sunday afternoon masterpiece, Sky Riders. I've filed it away in a time locked safe that next opens on Sunday afternoon. :D

Also got Deathstalker IV, which completes the set. Not available on LD or any HD platforms so the DVD is the only option. There are USA and Australian releases and possibly a Greek release iirc? The Australian version is apparently the pick of the bunch. Not sure why, just recall reading it somewhere. Can't wait to watch it and finish the series.

Got Akira 4K too (not pictured) but I'm in the process of returning it for a refund. No HDR, no JPN 2.0 track? No sale.

Got a new batch of tea and stocked up on a few jars of Lithuanian honey with Sea Buckthorn to tide me over Christmas and starting my Ironman training in January. :?

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 00:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
Got Akira 4K too (not pictured) but I'm in the process of returning it for a refund. No HDR, no JPN 2.0 track? No sale.

Get the Japanese release.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 11:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
teddanson wrote:

Get the Japanese release.

Only if you watch Sky Riders! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 12:12 
True fan
True fan

Young Sheldon Season 3.

Attachments:
IMG_E6098.JPG
IMG_E6098.JPG [ 429.24 KiB | Viewed 2506 times ]

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 15:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

therussian wrote:
Young Sheldon Season 3.

:wtf: why

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 20:34 
True fan
True fan

Because it's a fun show. :D

Page 3 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 37  Next