It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:00

Page 1 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Tat you've bought to clutter your home with (Reprise)
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2020, 12:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Dunno what happened to the old thread of junk we've bought to fill our lives with so here's a new one. :thumbup:

Some stuff that's arrived the last couple of days:

An assortment of Deathstalker blu's and DVD's. The two dual format Deathstalker and Deathstalker II releases are German limited editions (1000 copies each). Each has a booklet saddle stitched to the cases which have an old crinkled leather texture to them. Good stuff and in both English and German too. Of note, these HD releases are 'director's (approved and supervised) cuts'. They run slightly shorter than all other releases.

Deathstalker III is a good transfer of the same Laserdisc source (I have the Laserdisc and confirm it's the same). 4:3, slightly washed out, the usual. Audio is excellent on it and in both English and German. The cover is reversible too and removes the FSK 16 certificate making it look much nicer. (already done this in the photo below) I have Deathstalker IV on the way too from Australia.

Also got a nice steelbook of the Infernal Affairs trilogy. Stupidly I never checked if the disc has English subtitles. It doesn't, but you do get 7.1 audio on each disc which is exclusive to this release. I'll dump the discs on my NAS and drop in some English subtitles.

Magnificent Guardians blu. This is a blu version of the Laserdisc I bought recently from Japan. The blu doesn't come in 3D unfortunately. The Laserdisc is anaglyphic. However on this disc you get a DTS-HD track of the original Cantonese audio (which is pretty frickin' rare). You also get the same Japanese 2.0 stereo track that is featured on the Laserdisc (the Japanese dub is the only audio track on the Laserdisc). The idea with this is to 'remaster' the video with an anaglyph 3D layer (or separate anaglyphic video track altogether) and drop in the English subtitles from one of the DVD releases that have cropped up over the years. Maybe tidy the subtitles up if required (spelling, grammar etc) and then drop them in to an MKV container for an 'ultimate edition'.

I should also note you get a couple of extras on the disc too. Including a theatrical trailer and a teaser, both are pretty rare and thus have been scanned in high definition. The trailer is hilarious as the fight scenes are played out to the sound of music lifted from the Star Wars soundtrack! :lol: The film is also available in Scandinavia on blu but only with English dub track. The video is the same as this Fortune Star release. Not worth picking up imho unless you absolutely must have the dub. I prefer my 70's martial arts films in their native tongue where possible.

Oh and the Japanese blu has a reversible cover which more resembles the Laserdisc sleeve art and is a million times better than the bloody awful £1 petrol station bargain bin selection artwork they chose (see photo below). I have already taken care of this atrocity and reversed the cover.

Already discussed in another thread. The mighty Pet Shop Boys film, It Couldn't Happen Here. :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Tat you've bought to clutter your home with (Reprise)
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2020, 03:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I've probably got boxes of random crap since the last thread vanished (I'm wondering if the OP of that thread wanted it deleted? I can't remember who started it though tbh) :crazy:
Anyway I'll try to list a few things that hopefully I didn't post in the original thread...

Baldur's Gate I & II Enhanced Editions (Xbox One).
Planescape Torment & Icewind Dale Enhanced Editions (Xbox One).
Sea of Thieves Anniversary Edition (Xbox One).

Nintendo Gamecube (NTSC-J) - black, console only.
Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes (Gamecube) - Japan, CiB.

Hyperkin Admiral wireless controller for N64.

Dragon's Lair 20th Anniversary Special Edition (interactive DVD, NTSC region free) - box set, Space Ace + Dragon's Lair + Dragon's Lair II Time Warp.
Dragon's Lair III (interactive DVD, NTSC region free).

Doctor Who K9 Tales box set (R4 DVD).
Doctor Who Planet of the Spiders (R4 DVD).
Doctor Who The Beginning box set (R4 DVD).
Star Trek Voyager S2 (R4 DVD).
Star Trek Voyager S5 (R4 DVD).
Star Trek Voyager S6 (R4 DVD).

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2020, 21:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Baldurs Gate is fantastic. Had that many years ago on my old PIII. Love that mecha with the motorbike too!

More stuff here. Some Indicator boxes. Got the two William Castle box sets, cannot wait to see these and their gimmicks! Also got the Norman Wisdom or whatever his name is Terror box set. Had my eye on it for about the last 18 months so overdue! Also got an Indicator tote bag.

Also got a nice Hitchcock triple set comprising Strangers On A Train, North By Northwest and Dial M For Murderessness 3D. Watched two of them since I got it earlier this week. Going to finish the set off this weekend with Dial M For Murderessness sponsored by Meryl Streep's Versatility. Smell like Streep, for cheap!

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 00:30 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

recently picked up the Wind Rises now just waiting on some orders.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 03:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
Got the two William Castle box sets, cannot wait to see these and their gimmicks!

Didn't even know those existed.

Have you seen the definitive William Castle tribute, Matinee?

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 08:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
teddanson wrote:
Got the two William Castle box sets, cannot wait to see these and their gimmicks!

Didn't even know those existed.

Have you seen the definitive William Castle tribute, Matinee?

Indicator do some great box sets of some obscure stuff. I think both those William Castle box sets are OOP now but you should be able to get them individually soon if not already.

I haven't seen Matinee yet, it's on the watchlist! The John Goodman film right?

Finished the.Hitchcock box set. Dial M For Murderessness was excellent. Probably my favourite of the three films though all three were very good. The discs are a little disappointing. Nice extras on all but Dial M For Murderessness. The presentation is poor though on all of them. North By Northwest the menus are actually broken. Very poor quality control.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 15:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

the IMAI/AOSHIMA MOSPEADA LEGIOSS includes wheel hubs for nonexistent rubber tires,
all three of which are sized for the larger, MAIN GEAR (REAR) tires included with the 1/72 IMAI/BANDAI variable MACROSS VF-1 kits.

fortunately, i happened to have some extra sets of those tires left over from my three earlier, less-than-ideal attempts at the IMAI/BANDAI VF-1 kit,
and they fit the LEGIOSS gear hubs as if they were made for them;

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 20:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

First time the Irish postal service has ever called to my home on a Sunday. Yer man probably saw my name and thought it was Monday and had a delivery after the week of parcels I've had. :oops:

Still, nice stuff showed up. A juicy Hammer box set from Indicator with a great looking mix of fillums. Also the Dawn Of The Dead 4K HDR Limited Edition box I pre ordered back in June showed up. VERY keen to see how those look compared to the Italian 4K box I have on the shelf.

BTTF 4K box and the Limited Edition Street Fighter blu arrived last week. Watched Street Fighter already. It looks just like the hokey Sony blu. I was hoping for a new scan. Also I prefer the DTS track on my Laserdisc edition of Street Fighter.

Also, I don't understand why Kylie got a hammering for her turn as Cammy back in 1994. I thought she did okay. Obviously she was at her best in Neighbors, but she did well in Street Fighter I think. I like the film, it's a great parody.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2020, 02:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
Also the Dawn Of The Dead 4K HDR Limited Edition box I pre ordered back in June showed up. VERY keen to see how those look compared to the Italian 4K box I have on the shelf.

Well Second Sight apparently got the 4K master of the Argento cut from Italy so it should be the same one, but the other two are brand new.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 21:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
teddanson wrote:
Also the Dawn Of The Dead 4K HDR Limited Edition box I pre ordered back in June showed up. VERY keen to see how those look compared to the Italian 4K box I have on the shelf.

Well Second Sight apparently got the 4K master of the Argento cut from Italy so it should be the same one, but the other two are brand new.

Oh cool, I haven't checked that yet. If it's the same then it's a really good job so no faults there. The odd person moaned the HDR made it look very muted. I disagree but each to their own. I did test the Cannes disc and it looks wonderful, gorgeous colours right from the start with the shot of Francine asleep agaibst the red shagpile studio soundproofing.

Postman looked very tired this morning with some more tat to dropped off today.

First up a copy of the mighty Drive Angry, with the 3D version too.

A DVDO Edge (101 model) in near-mint condition. Hopefully it powers on and works. I've got tired of the VP50 Pro bugs and the rubbish power supply. Had a DVDO Edge about 10 years ago but was sold a lemon so never got to test this device out. See how it goes while working out what to do with the VP50 Pro. The replacement PSU should arrive soon.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 23:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Nice purchase there Ted, you'll think that R7G has arrived early once your 925 is hooked up to that thing :thumbup:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2020, 00:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Gave it a quick test this evening with Angel III and it looks superb! Also I ran a test with an analogue only disc, I used my copy of the Imagination concert. The DVDO Edge has absolutely no problem with analogue audio over HDMI. Fantastic!

There's a lot of stuff missing from the VP50 Pro here though..

Another thing, I had the same old EDID issues with picture but no audio. I have Dr. HDMI device hooked up between the Edge and switch/matrix to test if there is a signal and to try different 1080 EDID types that the Vertex 2 has issues with. Set the Dr. HDMI to 1080 FULL HD NO 3D (EDID Preset 2) and I got sound! Must be something to do with the Edge being HDMI 1.3 perhaps?

Connecting direct to the AVR caused no sound too so it was not just the Vertex 2 switch! Handy tool to have. I reported it to HD Fury in the hopes they can fix it. It works for now though so happy days.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2020, 00:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

teddanson wrote:
Gave it a quick test this evening with Angel III and it looks superb! Also I ran a test with an analogue only disc, I used my copy of the Imagination concert. The DVDO Edge has absolutely no problem with analogue audio over HDMI. Fantastic!

There's a lot of stuff missing from the VP50 Pro here though..

Another thing, I had the same old EDID issues with picture but no audio. I have Dr. HDMI device hooked up between the Edge and switch/matrix to test if there is a signal and to try different 1080 EDID types that the Vertex 2 has issues with. Set the Dr. HDMI to 1080 FULL HD NO 3D (EDID Preset 2) and I got sound! Must be something to do with the Edge being HDMI 1.3 perhaps?

Connecting direct to the AVR caused no sound too so it was not just the Vertex 2 switch! Handy tool to have. I reported it to HD Fury in the hopes they can fix it. It works for now though so happy days.

I'm really happy for you that it's generally working well. I could happily live without many of the VP50s bells & whistles though in exchange for that top notch comb filter that the Edge possesses, despite the complexity of my setup you'll find that the use of HDMI is kept to an absolute minimum because I just hate it! I use the 7.1 analog outs from my Oppo 105 to the Arcam AVR, far superior to sending the audio via HDMI which is only used for video from Oppo to Lumagen thence to Sony 4K projector.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2020, 02:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Star Wars Obi-Wan (Xbox)

Gamecube controller extension cable
Greedfall (Xbox One)

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020, 05:13 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I only need these plus kingdom of dreams and madness

for Blu-ray still wanting to start LD and re get the DVDs I got rid of.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020, 22:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Love a bit of Ghibli, nice discs! I think that some titles are getting 4K releases soon starting with Cagliostro? May be worth investigating in future?

Laserfanhld-gb, I am loving the DVDO Edge so far. I think it's the simplicity combined with the image it produces. Chuffed so far!

More tat arrived today. :oops:

The most recent version of Van Halen Live Without A Net. Hoping the sound is better on this version.

Virtual Drug Ecstasy. Thought I had this already but didn't. Spent the last year looking for Orchid Illusion, which I already have! This is the last disc in the Virtual Drug LD series that I needed to get and completes the set. Need one more Virtual Drug DVD title to have a full set of LD, DVD and Blu Ray of this awesome series.

NEWKIDZONDAMOTHAFECKINBLOCK!!!

Finally, the Jan Michael Vincent classic animated action thriller The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. :thumbup:

Edit: Had a look inside the NEWKIDZONDAMOTHAFECKINBLOCK sleeves for any hidden extras and found a huge foil sticker in the first sleeve, plus a reg card. The second sleeve has huge sticker of the cover art for Vol 2 plus a reg card. Vol 3 had no extra goodies so either shipped with none or are presumed lost.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020, 22:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Great to hear the Edge is living up to its reputation Ted; what's the story regarding its casework though, is the finish showing any signs of breaking down and going tacky or is it still in good order as yet?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020, 23:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
Great to hear the Edge is living up to its reputation Ted; what's the story regarding its casework though, is the finish showing any signs of breaking down and going tacky or is it still in good order as yet?

That's the very first thing I checked. The case is essentially mint. I'm wondering if I can take off the case a spray a lacquer on it or something else to protect it?

The remote control is spot on, and backlit! Never knew that, or forgot. It gives the occasional audio issue that the VP50 Pro gives me but nowhere near as bad (no dropouts when changing specific settings for example) and everything goes over HDMI. Internal PSU too so less clutter.

The audio looks like a 1.3 and EDID issue and very little I can do about it to eradicate it 100%. Good job I had the Dr. HDMI device or the Edge would have been punted out the window and in to the river by now!

It's cheerfully spitting out a lovely New Kids On The Block cartoon to my telly as I type this!

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020, 23:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Absolutely no idea tbh, would be great if you could preserve it though - I've seen them where the owner has completely stripped off the rubbery type finish but if yours is still in nice nick it would be a bit of a shame to do the same. I notice the remote is rather different to the one supplied with the VP50 from what I remember.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2020, 11:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have also noticed that the original thread simply vanished :(

Well, I won't post any pictures but I was able to acquire the following this weekend:

I found a box full of prerecorded minidiscs this weekend at my favourite fleamarket close to my home. I ended buying the whole lot ( 21 minidiscs in total ) for 2,50 Euro a piece !
I have never owned a minidisc player but I know that they are quite valuable. There were some cool items in the lot: Philadelphia soundtrack, The Very Best of Ennio Morricone compilation
or South Park Chef Aid album. Pretty cool find I think. Unfortunately, two of the boxes were empty but I still paid a very good price. I haven't seen a single prerecorded Minidisc being
sold for anything less than 20 Euro.

I also bought a couple of new vinyl records this weekend incl. Bob Marley's Legend Best of compilation on 2LPs. It sounds excellent and is worth every penny. It sounds like coming
straight out of the studio, fantastic. I have never heard Bob Marley's music with such detail and clarity. The cheaper one record edition that has been on the market for a long time now sounds considerably worse. Then I also bought Kraftwerk's Computerwelt and Peter Gabriel's So album for little money. Excellent releases and albums. Recommended.

Page 1 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next