It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:55

Page 32 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tat you've bought to clutter your home with (Reprise)
PostPosted: 06 May 2022, 19:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Garage sale season is in full swing and the term tat has never been more applicable lol. Already got a lot and going to another town with lots of sales tomorrow.

PostPosted: 11 May 2022, 02:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Bought some more audio gear.

-Receiver; Pioneer VSX-521-K 5.1 Home Theater Receiver with remote
-2 Floor Standing Tower Speakers; Yamaha NS-777
-2 Bookshelf Speakers; JBL Northridge E50
-1 Subwoofer; JBL Venue Sub 12"

Mostly for the receiver (needed something for a set-up that was decent and could do surround). As well as the Yamahas. Not sure what I'll do with the subwoofer honestly, but it was a good price for taking everything.

PostPosted: 14 May 2022, 19:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Some tat from the last few days.

First up Lore Of Running. This is the most comprehensive book on running that I've ever seen. It's about 752 trillion pages long and is often seen in those World's Strongest Man competitions that air on BBC 1 over Christmas. Usually just one copy is placed on a trailer and pulled by some beefcake from Denmark or Finland, usually called Teemu or Mika.

It covers everything from sitting your arse on the couch watching telly, through to 650 billion light year Intergalactic ultramarathons. Not just that but loads of physio stuff, nutrition, injury, lacing stuff and more. Literally everything is in here. The book is so big it was delivered to my door on a forklift. I understand the courier company has had to buy a new forklift as the weight of this book buckled the forks and knackered the tyres.

All those ravaged acres of Amazon Rainforest that you see on the TV news? That goes in to making just one copy of this book. Essential. :thumbup:

Next up is a Laserdisc I need some help from Laserdisc eggheads on. I found this disc of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? for a good price. I had a look on LDDB but couldn't find an answer. I did a search online and found a source that said the Widescreen CAV editions from 1989 are all uncut e.g. it has the frames that apparently show Jessica Rabbit's clunge.

Now, I'm not in the market to buy this in order to pull the stomach off of myself over 3 or 4 frames, I just like my films au naturel, as God intended. Especially when it comes to The Mouse fiddling about with their films over the years.

Can anyone confirm for certain that the edition I bought is uncut?

I've never seen the film, but almost bought the 4K before realising it's censored. Given the number of Christmas Day's it's been on BBC1 and I've always flicked it over to another showing of Airport '77 or reruns of Tour Of Duty and Blakes Seven, I've ended up never getting to see it.

Also got a copy of Ruthless People on DVD. It's not available on any better format and the Laserdisc is in 4:3 according to LDDB entries for it. The DVD is in the proper aspect ratio. I've never seen the film but I like Danny and Bette. I think the latter was also good in Big Business and also Outrageous Fortune with Shelley Long.

PostPosted: 14 May 2022, 20:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

As far as I know, Roger Rabbit wasn't actually tinkered with until the blu-ray? It's the accompanying theatrical shorts (that aren't included on that release anyway) that got cut up quickly after release.

PostPosted: 14 May 2022, 20:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
As far as I know, Roger Rabbit wasn't actually tinkered with until the blu-ray? It's the accompanying theatrical shorts (that aren't included on that release anyway) that got cut up quickly after release.

Kiitos. Ilmatyynyalukseni on täynnä ankeriaita. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 15 May 2022, 08:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Interesting to see the Laserdisc incident was reported in 1994. With that in mind, would that mean the 1996 Laserdisc re-releases were 'tidied up'?

https://apnews.com/article/c8d4672f7d4e ... fdcd2b9f62

PostPosted: 15 May 2022, 19:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

teddanson wrote:
Interesting to see the Laserdisc incident was reported in 1994. With that in mind, would that mean the 1996 Laserdisc re-releases were 'tidied up'?

https://apnews.com/article/c8d4672f7d4e ... fdcd2b9f62

I think so and I think the one you have is fine or uncut.
There is a Japanese release that I believe is cut or fixed and the later LD release.
One of the early parts is the baby so you can just do the CAV to see baby Herman stick his finger up in the air under the girls dress.
And other one I remember is when Benny the cab throws Jessica in the air you can't see any white under her dress.
If those are in then all other options are in and have not been altered.

PostPosted: 15 May 2022, 19:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
I think so and I think the one you have is fine or uncut.

That's two votes. One from you and one from Mika Hakkinen up there earlier. That's good enough for me. :thumbup:

From what I understand at this point, including some older LDDB forum posts, any Roger Rabbit on Laserdisc released prior to 1994 should be good to go. I think the Japanese version is cut and any release later than 1994 is cut/edited/messed around with.

I'll probably still get the 4K release one day, but for me it's just having the film untouched. Especially when it comes to Disney stuff. It's about watching the original versions, warts n' all. Especially when it comes to censorship, it does my head in. I draw a line at animal cruelty e.g. Cannibal Holocaust, but with that particular Blu Ray you do get a branchable version so you can choose the animal cruelty free version or not. That way I get the original version, because please do not mess with history, but I also can choose the cruelty free version, which I personally prefer.

Thanks both for the votes of confidence on the Laserdisc. I'll finally get to watch the film now, as it was originally released. :thumbup:

Edit: Just popped Side 4 in to the R7G and went to frame 2170. Blimey, how did they get away with that? :lol:

There's also a few other frames just before and after which are, erm, questionable! Does anyone know the frame numbers for the baby and telephone number scenes please?

PostPosted: 16 May 2022, 14:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I swear I had a printout at one time of the numbers, I did a quick google search and can't find anything, but it was quick so I could have missed it.
Will try to search it up again later, I know there used to be a list but it could be gone as so much info on the web is.

EDIT:
This is all I could find so far with another quick search.

International censorship
The scene that shows Baby Herman walking under a woman's dress was modified for the Disney+ release. In the Disney+ version, Herman's middle finger was digitally removed.

The scene that shows Betty Boop's dress falling below her breasts was modified for the Disney+ release. In the Disney+ version, the animation on Betty Boop's dress freezes for a frame.

The scene that shows scene Benny the Cab crashing was modified for the Disney+ release. In the Disney+ version, Jessica Rabbit's dress covers her underwear.

An often censored line is when Donald says to Daffy, "doggone stubborn little..." This is due to complaints that Donald's unintelligible "duck voice" makes it sounds like he's saying "goddamn" and the N-word.

PostPosted: 16 May 2022, 19:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah but who cares about Disney+? :P

PostPosted: 20 May 2022, 22:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Cartload of tat arrived today. Some stuff is not pictured and likely of no interest to anyone here etc. Anyway...

Got a pair of Oakley Jawbreaker Photochromic glasses. These are for cycling. Got these from an online store, not direct from Oakley so I sent them in photos for analysis to ensure they are genuine. It's sad you have to do that when not buying from Oakley directly but I think it's best to be safe and also help prevent others buying counterfeits. Mine are genuine and passed analysis so all good.

Got another quality finance book to wash down those orange pills. :thumbup:

Next up is a rare occasion I buy a DVD. Stephen King's The Langoliers is one of my all-time favourites. I remember watching this on the telly when it was first broadcast here in New Delaware and I loved it. It has everything. Time travel, sub par SFX, Dean Quantum Leap Stockwell (RIP) and.... BRONSON MO'FOOKIN PINCHOTTTTTTT!!!!!! He was brilliant in Meego!!!!

I bloody love The Langoliers and will absolutely and under no circumstances whatsoever tolerate any bashing of it. It's brilliant, and urgently needs an HD release. If you've never seen it, go watch it now!

I also got Cross Of Iron on Blu Ray. A total blind buy I almost got on Laserdisc. I noticed after buying it that James Coburn is in it. If he's as good in this as he is in The Internecine Project (which you REALLY all need to see asap) then this should be a good film. Oh, and Senta Berger from the Fabio Testi hyperfilm Speed Driver is in it!

Brewster's Millions is one of my favourite films of all-time. I've seen it more times than I've had hot dinners. Nothing more to be said.

After buying the Sweeney and Sweeney 2 films recently, I went back to those beautiful people at Network On Air and bought Reagan, the feature length pilot for The Sweeney TV series. It's reportedly another job well done by Network On Air yet again. I said it recently but warrants mentioning again, this label is fast becoming one of my favourites. Just a shame they did season 1 of The Sweeney on Blu Ray and canned the rest for DVD only. Season 1 blu is now shockingly expensive. A shame.

Another blind buy from BFI this time with Underground. After watching that documentary last year on the discovery of thousands of silent film reels under a hotel swimming pool I said I would love to watch more silent films. This one is supposed to be very good and the blu is packed with stuff. I got lucky and received an early edition of the blu which comes with a nice booklet.

Last up is The Money Pit. The UK/Ireland blu was a silly price until recently and I nearly bought the German blu. Anyway, seen this film about 837 times before. Love Shelley Long and Hanks is alright in some stuff. A comfort buy for rainy Sunday afternoons doing the ironing but only after you've watched Skyriders and only if Airport 77 isn't on the telly too.

PostPosted: 25 May 2022, 13:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Latest batch of tat. Some Laserdiscs here but rather than take two bottles in to the shower, I'll use the Vidal Sassoon approach here so everything is lumbered in one post. :thumbup:

WARNING! THE FOLLOWING TAT IS:

Anyway, first off some vinyl. Not often I buy the stuff, but these were a must buy. These are two albums by The Curtis Creek Band in their special series of albums called 'Windy People'.

I thought at first these albums were promotional material for Gaviscon, Rennie or some new type of Pepto Bismol but it's actually a really cool series of driving/travel-themed music that was also used as official soundtracks for a number of endurance motocross events. Paris-Dakkar for example. Curtis Creek Band did release a compilation of these albums in the form of a Best Of, which is available on Compact Disc. However, what makes the vinyl unique is a number of things.

First, the Best Of doesn't have every track on it. Second, the vinyl releases feature different motorcycle sounds during the opening and closing of each song, so as to represent different times of day, different moods or different stages of a race or theme. These were removed entirely from the Best Of CD and take away a LOT of the charm/effect of the music. Also, the vinyl releases each came in a gatefold/digibook style, each with beautiful photography included in them along with double-sided, themed picture discs, booklets and stickers. Unfortunately mine are missing the sticker sheets. You can find some examples for sale, but the price skyrockets if you want the stickers too.

Some of the photography is seriously cliched and cringeworthy, but equally super cool. Think of themes you'd see in 80's anime. Making a coffee, opening the horizontal blinds in the morning. There's even one photo of a woman in bed next to an ashtray, a glass of champagne and the man leaving the bedroom, keys to his motorbike in hand! Or the moody sunrise shot of a man stood next to his motorbike, about to go on some sort of epic sunrise ride by the beach/mountains. It's all utterly excrutiating stuff, but oddly brilliant too. I love it.

There is a couple of 7" titles and another 12" in the series, but these aren't picture discs and one of them is super expensive so I decided not to get it. Thought to share anyway so folks here can see the ones I have. I particularly like the warning that this music is "For Enthusiastic People Only". :lol:

Next up is some more mind-bending stuff for my small collection of odd titles. There's a great Laserdisc by industrial band Test Dept. here. This video album is also available on DVD but is actually missing a couple of videos, making the Laserdisc the most complete release to date (that I am aware of). Proper industrial music in every sense of the word.

I also got a sound demo disc called Sound Triangle. I don't know much about it but am keen to give it a listen with my headphones!

Last up in this set is a Laserdisc called Waterworks. I know very little about it other than it appears to be in the same style as the Virtual Drug series (I'm now Virtual Drug complete). Very much looking forward to this one, it looks great and not a title I've ever seen before. Hopefully a nice addition to my mind-bending video collection.

Next up is Lisa Stansfield Live at Wembley. I have only seen this on YouTube in very poor quality. Unfortunately the disc has some sort of sticky residue around the edge. I'm hoping to clean it up fairly easily and that the disc isn't rotten. Then there is a disc called Fourth Dimension, which I know nothing about. It looks like it will fit in to my mind-melting collection though! Last in this set is Jimi Hendrix and Otis Redding Live At Monterey. This was a blind buy that I'm hoping has good audio quality.

Then there's some Blu's. I watched a YouTube video by fellow forum user sdraper who did a piece on How The West Was Won recently. I had a look around and found this UK/Ireland 2 disc edition that features the separate Smilebox edition of the film. Looking forward to this one and kudos again to sdraper for some great content that's not like the other rubbish that pollutes YouTube. :thumbup:

I also got Metalstorm 3D, another blind buy but supposedly it has a good 3D transfer. I got Last Night In Soho on 4K UHD too, I know very little about this one except for it has good reviews plus I like the director's previous works. Last up is a special edition Blu of one of my favourite films of all-time, The Commitments, which is part of the Barrytown Trilogy along with The Van and The Snapper. Both of those films are excellent too but neither has made the leap to Blu yet alas. I also got a cool Ant+ enabled rear light for my road bike after my last one broke on a long ride last weekend. :oops:

Saving my favourite bit of tat til last, after several years of searching another Laserdisc series title is complete with this the fifth and final volume in the Mind Control series. This is Volume 5: Forest Fantasy. I did get this on VHS a year or so-ish ago and missed out on a Laserdisc of it some time last year. Another popped up recently and finally I was able to complete the set. Hurrah!

PostPosted: 25 May 2022, 14:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

PostPosted: 25 May 2022, 23:42 
True fan
True fan

Last piece of the puzzle for my Lost in translation shrine. A 100 EUR bottle of Suntori Hibiki. The whiskey that Bill Murray promotes in the movie.
I don't drink alcohol so it is a prop and will never be opened.

Attachments:
IMG_E9049.JPG
IMG_E9049.JPG [ 495.62 KiB | Viewed 1568 times ]

PostPosted: 26 May 2022, 00:02 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

therussian wrote:
A 100 EUR bottle of Suntori Hibiki. The whiskey that Bill Murray promotes in the movie.
I don't drink alcohol so it is a prop and will never be opened.

That's a shame, should have just bought an empty bottle so someone else could enjoy.

PostPosted: 26 May 2022, 00:48 
True fan
True fan

If I would have bought an empty one my OCD would have driven me insane

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2022, 12:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

An assortment of tat.

First up a handful of Blu's, starting with the German MGM edition of The Unforgiven. A blind buy in my quest to watch a few more classic Western films. Never seen it, looking forward to it.

Also got 21 Hours In Munich, which is a television film made in 1976 based on the real-life events that happened at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich. This is said to be the same story that was used for the Eric Bana hyperfilm Munich (which is an absolutely STELLAR film, watch it if you've not seen it yet). What is interesting with this one is that it was made in 1976, just 4 years after the Munich games and was shot on location at all of the places that the events took place in real life. How they got away with that one I don't know, feels to me like it comes across as a bit 'too soon'. This film is supposedly superior to the more modern Munich film so it'll be interesting to see!

Next is 1978 poliziotteschi film Provincia Violenta (aka Provinz Ohne Gesetz) which stars Richard Harrison. I love that there is a 1 hour long interview with Harrison on this disc and the first thing he says is that he doesn't think this is a great film! I'm not so sure, the trailer looks great! I watched a bit of the interview already and it's worth it's weight in gold with Harrison going in to great detail about so many of the films he made in the 1970's and 80's. Even if the film turns out to be crap, the interview feature alone is worth it in my opinion.

Dune 3D was a blind buy. I've not seen the film yet on any format, though the 3D release is (as far as I know) only available on Blu Ray in Germany so this was a must buy. Looking forward to it.

Valdez Is Coming was another blind buy in order to see more classic Western films. I watched this yesterday, it's excellent, and posted some drivel about it in another thread if anyone is keen to know more about it. Another German Blu Ray, this time a double feature with Deadly Prey and the sequel Deadliest Prey. I was hoping Deadly Prey would be a new HD scan but unfortunately this is just an SDBD. A shame, but still, it's nice to have it along with the sequel. Not much going on with this one in terms of extras but a double feature disc for cheap is alright by me.

Last up is another 3D Blu Ray, this time it's Toy Story 4. Another film I've not seen yet, I don't think I've even seen Toy Story 3 yet, so one to watch soon.

A new battery charger and a pack of rechargable batteries. It's a battery charger. How much more interesting can it get? That said, I do love all the different modes it offers and the realtime display for each slot is super geeky!

Some new triple flange tips to replace that ageing ones on my Shure e4c and e3c IEM's. Also some reading material noone cares about. That said, I read somewhere that The Midnight Library has been optioned for cinema?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2022, 14:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

A nice rare German VHS of Speed Driver arrived today. I've captured this digitally already, the picture quality is excellent, probably the best 'clean' version of Speed Driver along with the scratched and dirty Greek VHS transfer.

I love the case, it's like a plastic/card material, like modern Blu Ray mediabooks. The film is the original Italian print with a German dub track.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2022, 00:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
I love the case, it's like a plastic/card material, like modern Blu Ray mediabooks. The film is the original Italian print with a German dub track.

Pretty sure mediabooks are more like actual books, but there is/was a German or Austrian distributor named X-Rated Kult who used to put out DVDs on cases like this one, plastic clamshells where the art is printed right onto the case itself. I used to have Joe D'Amato's Caligula 2 but I sold it and regretted it ever since. Was it a good movie? Hell no, but I loved the representation.

Anyway, I got some more Kenner Aliens.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2022, 06:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yep that's what I was trying to think of, the clamshell style cases. Or a CD release not in a jewel case. I've not seen it on a VHS before (that I can recall), it looks great!

I think X Rated were/are an Austrian label. I have the Guinea Pig collection on DVD from them. Just the standard version in a normal DVD multi disc case. They did do a limited edition case though that might have been the clamshell style. Difficult to find though as I don't think there was many made.

Page 32 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 37  Next