It is currently 14 May 2024, 08:09

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: VHS Users
PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 11:31 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

What do you like to watch? What you got on your shelf? What are some of your favourite tapes?

I like war movies and also ninja movies. I also like music and pretty girls mainly. A lot of them you can't get on LD.

My favourite tapes are my Enter/Revenge of the Ninja (one of the best movies ever made)/Ninja III set of movies released in Japan by King Video, on heavy duty rental grade tapes, very stable picture and sound. Oh and my 1984 Harmony Gold Macross b**by Trap tape, such a piece of history.

I'm mainly looking to get more Godfrey Ho stuff at the moment, his stuff is so great. Nothing like getting home Friday, lighting your first cigarette of the night, cracking a cold one and putting a Godfrey Ho ninja movie in the VCR. Pure pleasure.

Here's some pics of my collection. I'm also taping all my DVDs to VHS I like VHS so much. Sorry pics aren't so good, sometimes my brain hurts and take pic not so good.

Post subject: Re: VHS Users
PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 14:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I can’t believe the forum censors b**by Trap. Are Macross big boxes not as acceptable as the Star Wars ones? As a Macross fan I feel that my free speech is being unfairly oppressed.

I watched Boobytrap, the Robotech version, *yesterday*…but on LD because VHS sucks.

I also own Savage Beach and all that dudes movies in a DVD box.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 16:20 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

signofzeta wrote:
I can’t believe the forum censors b**by Trap. Are Macross big boxes not as acceptable as the Star Wars ones? As a Macross fan I feel that my free speech is being unfairly oppressed.

Haha, yeah, maybe if I write "boobytrap" as one word..? oh yeah you did it in the next bit.

Quote:
I watched Boobytrap, the Robotech version, *yesterday*…but on LD because VHS sucks.

Nice. I sometimes forget that the entirity of Robotech "The Macross Saga" WAS actually put out on LD. Incredible. Even the Perfect Collection VHS, with subbed JP eps I dillegently bought ended after only a few (vastly cheaper than LD at the time) tapes..

I wish RT had kept as close to Macross as the first draft did tho. Rick Yamada was kinda dumb tho. Still, I'll never forget watching RT as a kid in the USA. I cried at 7 years old when the announcer on Virginian network TV said "that was the final episode of Robotech.." sometime in 1985 (I think it got pulled during Macross by some kind of censorship movement possibly?). Saw the rest back in my home in Australia when it aired about '87 onwards (kids didn't know what the fu*ck I was talking about when I'd tell em about it in '86).

Quote:
I also own Savage Beach and all that dudes movies in a DVD box.

Cool, yeah the "Sidaris-verse" is pretty cool. Good setup with CIA posing as a delivery service..? I gotta get more of those movies.

PostPosted: 11 May 2024, 18:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The running gags get me. That one guy is the worst shot in the universe and there’s always an RC car, plane, or boat.

The dude really knew how to turn his vacations into movies.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 May 2024, 05:30 
Honest fan
Honest fan

spooky wrote:
What do you like to watch?

I have only ever owned maybe three or so pre-recorded VHS tapes, and I have actually watched only one all the way through since the early 1990s. Non-Super VHS is and always was a pretty pathetic way to watch video, especially once you saw a laser disc played.

For home recording, I went from Beta to SuperBeta as soon as it came out (in 1985 if I remember right), then to ED Beta (in 1990?), then I did get a Super VHS VCR for recording (on lower-cost tapes) and it also improved standard VHS by having the s-video output for when friends insisted on renting tapes.

That one tape that I bought and watched is the pilot episode of "The Duke", a late-1970s or maybe 1980 TV show with Robert Conrad that lasted only a few episodes. That double episode was apparently released as a theatrical movie in Canada or elsewhere with a different title, and got onto a commercial VHS release as well. I found it on Ebay a few years ago, amazing.

Oh, I also bought and watched E.T. on VHS at midnight on its first home-video release day in 1988, even knowing it would be available soon on Laser Disc. I was -that- anxious to see it for the first time since its release six years earlier.

PostPosted: 13 May 2024, 12:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I finally got rid of the last of my tapes recently. Captured all the ones that are not (and I will assume will never be at this point) on other formats before doing so.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]