It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:21

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stargate SG-1 Blu-ray
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2021, 23:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Apparently season 1 is available on BD now.
1080p streamed version has been around for some time, this is upscaled and widescreen. The BD version appears to be the same deal but I'm guessing it has higher video bitrate. I've seen people claim the BD audio is kinda "flat", if it is then I guess some people may feel compelled to rip the video and use audio from another source (DVD I guess, I think only the pilot movie is on LD) to make something "better" :?: but it bugs me that this is widescreen yet again :problem:

Anyway, if you wanna take a peek (for preview purposes before purchase I mean) scene release name for S01 is:
Stargate.SG-1.S01.1080p.BluRay.x264-BORDURE
^ Just over 45GB total size.

Post subject: Re: Stargate SG-1 Blu-ray
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2021, 00:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Honestly thought this would never happen.

I'm not finding individual seasons, only this: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Stargate ... ay/282609/

I love Stargate, but I will wait for a price drop since I already have the dvds.

ETA: I see it's from VEI which is interesting. I've not been the happiest with their releases, I might actually skip this altogether. When I have the time and stamina I will read over the thread for the release on the bd forum.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2021, 00:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yeah I had a look after I posted, seems like there's only a box set atm.
I guess that means rips of the other seasons will probably turn up.
As for purchasing I'm not sure yet, I'd have to watch them but comments I've seen about the audio are a little disturbing.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2021, 02:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I have 3 VEI releases of things where there was no other option and all of them have issues. I'd still rather have those shows than not and all are better than the TV rips I used to have but for something like this it might not even be better than the DVDs. Certainly a tough sell when I already have the DVDs.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2021, 09:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well the DVD sets upscaled are pretty close to the 1080p web versions I have seen.
I mean the web versions mostly look better, but I was just upscaling using a PS3. But the thing is the DVD sets I have are broadcast ratio not all widescreen (cropped) like the web versions.

So yeah I prefer the DVD's, so far anyway.
But I'm just thinking if these BD's look even better than web 1080p (because higher video bitrate) then maybe people will buy them. Atlantis BD sets are getting a cheaper "reissue" (not remastered). SG-1 BD's aren't remastered and people are speculating it's the exact same deal as web 1080p... so idk.

I haven't seen any mention of Universe S2 BD, which I thought they would do as well if they're doing SG-1 this way.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021, 02:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

deadlegion wrote:
Well the DVD sets upscaled are pretty close to the 1080p web versions I have seen.
I mean the web versions mostly look better, but I was just upscaling using a PS3. But the thing is the DVD sets I have are broadcast ratio not all widescreen (cropped) like the web versions.

So yeah I prefer the DVD's, so far anyway.
But I'm just thinking if these BD's look even better than web 1080p (because higher video bitrate) then maybe people will buy them. Atlantis BD sets are getting a cheaper "reissue" (not remastered). SG-1 BD's aren't remastered and people are speculating it's the exact same deal as web 1080p... so idk.

I haven't seen any mention of Universe S2 BD, which I thought they would do as well if they're doing SG-1 this way.

Oh boy!
I shouldn't be posting when I'm dead tired, obviously my brain has turn to mush here :lol:
Broadcast was originally full screen 4:3 but the series was made in widescreen.
The PAL DVD R4 sets I have are widescreen. I do have some other odd discs (incomplete set) here that aren't R4 but I can't remember if they're broadcast ratio (maybe they are and that contributed to my brain fart).
I think there might be at least 2 different web versions, maybe the Hulu version is messed up ratio or whatever.
Pilot episode has had a few edits over time but I suspect the final edit is considered canon now :crazy:

As for Universe, I looked that up just before and VEI are releasing the complete series on BD. I already have S1 on BD though (I got it cheap) so I'm not keen to shell out $40usd or whatever just to get a physical 1080p version of S2 :problem:

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021, 03:04 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I remember watching these when broadcast back in the day.
Now whether or not these were broadcast in widescreen is another story, could have been that type of deep space 9 or whatever series
that first seasons were 1.33 and later 1.85.

Always loved the show but don't think I could ever actually own it.
Its one of those shows that if I found it streaming I would let it run for a sort of binge as its not episodic like other stuff, well parts are but not majorly.
I would enjoy it even today but again wouldn't own it.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2021, 05:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Was doing some more reading about VEI release having messed up 5.1 audio (maybe S1 is ok though) and also the DNR etc used with upscaling (loss of detail). Came across this, there are some interesting screenshots...

https://pacificaoutpost.com/stargate-sg-1/

Hopefully I'm not violating any rules by posting this link :think:

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 19:30 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I am reading on other forums that these BD masters are awful. Both video and audio are superior on the DVD copies. I will need to get the SGU box set because SGU s2 was never released on BD before. I am also curious about the last 3 seasons of SG1 on this BD boxset as they were shot in HD digital. But it looks like you might need to mix and match in order to have the best set. There is also 1 LD out there with the pilot episode.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 23:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
I am reading on other forums that these BD masters are awful. Both video and audio are superior on the DVD copies. I will need to get the SGU box set because SGU s2 was never released on BD before. I am also curious about the last 3 seasons of SG1 on this BD boxset as they were shot in HD digital. But it looks like you might need to mix and match in order to have the best set. There is also 1 LD out there with the pilot episode.

I have watched bits of S1 episodes now. They aren't great. The 5.1 audio on most of these S1 episodes seemed sorta ok but one episode the intro audio seemed a little messed up. What I saw was ripped though so maybe that one episode was incorrectly ripped, idk.
Video has artifacts which is to be expected. Again maybe because these were ripped it has made those worse, idk.

Honestly I would say this is a waste of time, even S1.

Unless the SGU box set is like $30aud it's going to be a waste of money. I already have S1 BD and S2 1080p streamed has been around for years. Still, would be interesting to see if the audio/video is higher bitrate and slightly better quality.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2021, 02:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Easy come easy go I guess. My hopes were already dashed when I saw it was VEI. I will of course just stick with the dvds.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2021, 17:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Watched some bits of S2. Running audio just through tv speakers and it isn't distracting really.
Tok'ra part 2, towards the end I noticed some shots where it appears that Carter's head is stretched slightly fatter but I'm not 100% sure.
Effects shots are looking terrible in some places, like ships in hyperspace the whole thing looks really blurry :sick:

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2021, 18:33 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Just to chime in, I own the original SG-1 Season 2 DVD Box Set, and it and every season that follows are definitely 16:9 widescreen aspect ratios. Don't have the original Season 1 Box Set, so not sure about it. However, I can say for certain that when SG-1 was first being aired on a local TV station here (U.S.A.) in the late 1990's that it was most certainly aired in Full Screen (4:3). Now was it airing in 4:3 on the Sci-Fi channel in those early seasons, I don't know, because we didn't get cable TV until 1999. But a;; the same I could have sworn that even then new episodes were showing in Full Screen even on the Sci-Fi channel, maybe my memory is fault in thinking that though?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]