It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:06

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Any recommendations or warnings about new TVs?
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2021, 16:43 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

signofzeta wrote:
I’m not being brand loyal. Honestly when it comes to Sony as a company I have a mountain of complaints. Much of what they have sold me over the years was fancy garbage. I’m only pimping Sony because it’s what I know but Sony has never had a bad period when it comes to TV. They have always been leaders and they were never really into the $99 market. All the Sonys I’m talking about were at least medium end. The XBR960 was top tier, $2500 new. The 4K was $800, peanuts by comparison. I’m not recommending a brand as much as I’m recommending something REAL from a company that does real R&D instead of a store brand with a name on it that won’t exist in two years because it’s not from a TV company but rather a parts aggregator that builds TVs.

If Pioneer and Panasonic were still going like they used to I wouldn’t name a brand at all. I only mention Sony because they still exist in some recognizable form. They also still make good Walkmans. Most of the electronics business has been taken over by eBay level crapola thanks to people valuing TVs only by the inch for 20 years. Then they come here and ask how to make LD look good on something that can’t even zoom properly or has no SD inputs. It’s amazing what an afterthought anything but size is to a lot of people. Messing around with Kia/Hyundai level garbage when they should have just paid full price for the Toyota...

I defiantly agree in part, Sony makes grate TVs and I can't recall the last time Sony made a bad TV or even a bad anything other then laptops. But replace Sony with anyone else and it might not be the same case.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2021, 23:26 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I just noticed that PC Monitors do not come with a remote or built in sound so I will have to cross that off my list, unless I go for a sound bar.

I am starting to hate on capitalism, back in the 70s-90s it worked but now they are all cheapening out. People are buying the worst of the worst, and there is not much room for quality brands. Everything is becoming generic with a brand name. I do not mind having a cheaper product for those who want to live the cheap life, but there isn't much left for people who are after the quality product.

How do I know the higher tier Sony from the mid range?

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2021, 01:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Make sure it says “Bravia”.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2021, 00:19 
Serious fan
Serious fan

This guy is selling the Sony tv like crazy, he convinced me. One thing that scares me is that I am afraid I get the new tv and think to myself "this doesn't look much different than my old tv".

He also speaks of things I do not understand like hdmi 2.1 IR (I think) and VRR. I am getting old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yPWMpeCU6Q

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2021, 00:31 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Don't worry about VRR (Variable Refresh Rate). It only applies to video games; refers to dynamic screen refresh rates so that slow frames in games get delayed instead of dropped.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2023, 16:35 
First post
First post

I agree that Sony TVs are a solid choice, especially for their ability to handle various formats and gaming features. Their reputation for quality is well-earned. When considering a new TV for older media like LaserDiscs, it's important to weigh the TV's compatibility with retro tech. Sometimes, newer isn't always better for our specific needs. It's fascinating to blend the old with the new in our setups! This blend of old and new technology is an intriguing aspect of our modern tech landscape. Just like finding a TV that supports both new and old media, managing modern streaming services on various devices can also present its unique challenges. For instance, I encountered a situation where I had to logout of netflix on firestick. At first glance, this seemed like a straightforward task, but it turned out to be less intuitive than expected. It reminded me that even as we embrace advanced technology, simple tasks can sometimes become complex, bridging our interaction with both the new and the retro.

Last edited by wjuan on 22 Dec 2023, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2023, 19:35 
True fan
True fan

I switched to using monitors in combination with video processors for my analogue devices ( like LD ). I despise all currently released TVs because or they are utterly cheap and nasty or they are utterly overpriced and stuffed with smart TV features that I hate with a passion.

Using a solid 32 inch IPS LG monitor and very pleased with the results. Used also an LG before my current one, but an ultra wide. Also was more than pleased but most of the time I had no need for the 21:9 aspect ratio. But when I there was a 2:35 aspect ratio movie it was glorious.

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2