It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:15

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do I view closed captions?
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2021, 04:38 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi there, I'm a new LD player owner, been interested in the format for a while and finally got a player (a Denon LA-2100) a couple weeks ago. On the advice of a redditor, I bought this converter, as my TV only has HDMI ports, no RCA. However, I've discovered that the closed captions do not work as HDMI does not let them be transmitted like RCA does. The disc I am trying to play does have captions (it's a dual language anime with subtitles displayed as CCs), and I do not have another TV I can use the laserdisc player with. Is there some sort of caption decoder that can add the captions as an overlay on the video signal or something? Or am I just SOL when it comes to watching stuff with captioning?

Post subject: Re: How do I view closed captions?
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2021, 04:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Does your TV have the red blue green?? If so you can I believe use the green.
You can get adapters that go from RCA to Coax and run it over the antenna.

There is also I believe a topic with the device you can use, its the foul language remover, can't remember its been so many years since someone posted.
It also adds CC to your TV.
Just did a quick search, I believe its called TV Guardian, but not sure if all will work or only some for the CC you need.

Also found a closed caption decoder but the thing that just came to mind is that these all need your Yellow composite or coax to run.
Can't think of another way to get GITS or Memories to do CC with a TV that has only HDMI.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2021, 14:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just put a closed caption decoder in the composite (yellow) signal path from the LD player to that RCA-HDMI converter. It'll work.

There are many second hand closed caption decoders still out there for sale. Find below an incomplete list of model numbers. I would avoid the older ones that double as profanity filters or that have their own tv tuners included. The simpler the better. I use the Sarabec and the BVS-CC100 regularly. I just wish I had one that worked with Teletext as well as Closed Captions.

Link Electronics IEC-786
Link Electronics IEC-788
Link Electronics IEC-788/R
Link Electronics PCD-85/R
Link Electronics PCD-88
Link Electroncs PDR 885
Link Electroncs HDE-3000
BVS-CC100
BVS-CC100GPI-SV
HRT-CC101
HRT-CC101-PRO
EEG DE-101
EEG EN-270
Futec
Sarabec VR-20
Telemole
Hitachi movie text
Hitachi AVC08U
Universal V-7300
Ligitek LG 935
V-7310

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2021, 01:48 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thank you both! I've just made an offer on a Universal V-7300 on eBay, hopefully will be able to get that.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2021, 10:45 
Serious fan
Serious fan

leishycat wrote:
Thank you both! I've just made an offer on a Universal V-7300 on eBay, hopefully will be able to get that.

Cool.
I had a look at pictures for that one and it seems to have an unusual power requirement - 10V AC. I hope you get a power supply with it.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2021, 12:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Tell us the model number of TV you have. A lot of people are simply unable to find the ports anymore, they are so well hidden. If you *really* don’t have composite then…you for sure bought the wrong TV for LD. A TV Guardian should get you your subtitles though.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2021, 23:48 
Third post and above
Third post and above

nextwednesday wrote:
leishycat wrote:

Cool.
I had a look at pictures for that one and it seems to have an unusual power requirement - 10V AC. I hope you get a power supply with it.

I don't think I will, but I have a large collection of power supplies, so I should have something that'll fit.

signofzeta wrote:
Tell us the model number of TV you have. A lot of people are simply unable to find the ports anymore, they are so well hidden. If you *really* don’t have composite then…you for sure bought the wrong TV for LD. A TV Guardian should get you your subtitles though.

It's a Samsung NU6900.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 15:19 
Third post and above
Third post and above

nextwednesday wrote:
leishycat wrote:

Cool.

Welp.. not only did it not come with a power supply, I don't have a 10v AC in my box of power adapters.. and most of the 10v power supplies I'm finding for sale online are DC. Heck.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]