It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:02

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-HF7G] U1 Error Won't Play
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2021, 02:18 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Hey everyone -

I am working on my brother's LD player and he has been unable to play his discs. His player opens and closes fine. You hit play and the player will clamp on the disc and begin to spin but then after a few revolutions, will stop and display a U1 error.

So I know that the majority of the time a U1 error is the loading belt. So I ordered an SCQ 3.6/VEB1184 equivalent belt and replaced the existing belt, which honestly looked fine.

Player still exhibits the same behavior. I am wondering if the next thing to check is the clamping and whether the pad used to clamp the disc needs to be replaced? Not sure what else to check so just asking for advice. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: CLD-HF7G U1 Error Won't Play
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2021, 03:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

With the top off you should hear or see a slight slip if the pad needs to be replaced.

Also does this play CDs? I know that is one of the things that you can tell first, if CDs are OK then its something else to look for.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2021, 04:28 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks for the advice.

So tried a CD and it spins up fine but then stops and displays a U0 error and won't play.

I don't think its the clamping mechanism as I don't hear any slippage and the player will spin an LD or CD just fine but right when you think it would start playing it displays the U1 for an LD and a U0 for a CD.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2021, 17:59 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Based on this thread it might be a bad spindle motor, but the discs do spin: https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=8817&start=20

Wondering if it could be a top bearing so I can try some lithium grease on those.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-HF7G] U1 Error Won't Play
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2022, 15:51 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just bumping this to see if anyone had any ideas.

In the meantime we found a replacement player but would love to be able to get this one working again at some point. Can't ever have enough LD players :)

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2022, 19:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If CDs aren't working I think that may also be a possible centering issue?
I know that if it plays CDs you are better off than no CDs.

Also did it work before? Hope someone else can chime in to help.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2022, 20:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This might be a long shot but it is defined as one of the U1 possibilities called "disc shifted".

Take a look @ this pic.....

Notice how the disc is not 100% centered on the spindle. I had this problem after replacing a gear on my M90 and the symptom was that most (if not all) CD discs would not play or load properly and an LD would just "wobble" and then stop turning. Took me awhile to figure that out and I ended up realigning the tray from scratch until it was able to drop any disc precisely on target.

So you would just need to remove the upper clamp and peer down on it. Might be worth a shot.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 05:33 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Spindle motor centering is centering the spindle motor with the laser lens so that the laser reads at 0 degrees offset while going out from the center of the spindle motor. The centering does move the spindle motor side to side but proper centering with the laser should be within a tolerable range to allow the disc to properly clamp.

This picture would be a clamping error and the bottom clamp does help some in centering the disc as it loads. Also, is this picture from the front or from the side, cannot tell as non of the player can be seen. If the spindle motor clamping is too far off then the spindle motor centering tab would be way out of adjustment or just broke and the unit is way out.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 06:33 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

krbahr wrote:

This picture would be a clamping error and the bottom clamp does help some in centering the disc as it loads. Also, is this picture from the front or from the side, cannot tell as none of the player can be seen. If the spindle motor clamping is too far off then the spindle motor centering tab would be way out of adjustment or just broke and the unit is way out.

I cropped the pic in order to better see how the disc was not centered on the spindle. The front of the player is the right side of the pic so I know in my situation it was all about the tray position and not centering.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 21:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Make sure the chassis isn't bent.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]