It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:39

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Running LD Player thru Receiver or into TV
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2022, 15:54 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hello, I have a CLD-D750 currently running thru my Sony STR-DH1040 that can upconvert RCA to HDMI going into a Panasonic Viera Plasma. I just noticed that the picture (Jurassic Park collectors edition) was clipped off around the edges no matter what aspect ratio on the TV (which doesnt have full aspect control). I tried direct into the TV and it seems better then, so without stating the obvious do most people just run the RCA into the TV and bypass the receiver for video-fewer connections=better signal? Also I cant be sure, but the TOSLink seems to give some staccato to the sound, so do people usually rely on the players DAC, or receiver.

Cheers!
-Max

Post subject: Re: Running LD Player thru Receiver or into TV
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2022, 16:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Go with whatever looks better to you. I did not look into specs, but it could be very likely that your TV can handle the composite video much better than the receiver.

It really isn't a "fewer connections=better signal" thing. It is a matter of choosing the path for the best combfiltering, de-interlacing, and scaling.

Post subject: Re: Running LD Player thru Receiver or into TV
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2022, 18:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

imax wrote:
Hello, I have a CLD-D750 currently running thru my Sony STR-DH1040 that can upconvert RCA to HDMI going into a Panasonic Viera Plasma. I just noticed that the picture (Jurassic Park collectors edition) was clipped off around the edges no matter what aspect ratio on the TV (which doesnt have full aspect control).

A lot of times, that is a problem with HDMI limiting aspect ratio control. You can still run the LD player through the AV Receiver but I would run both an HDMI and Composite Out from the AV Receiver to the TV. The reason is that any up conversation technology never looks good with LD to me and I’ll just choose between the two options on my TV depending on what I view (e.g.: HDMI with Blu-ray or streaming and Composite Video for LD, VHS, old game systems, etc.).

imax wrote:
I tried direct into the TV and it seems better then, so without stating the obvious do most people just run the RCA into the TV and bypass the receiver for video-fewer connections=better signal?

So in addition to what I said above, you can keep running composite video to the AV Receiver and the run another composite video from it to your TV. AV Receivers we’re designed to have enough bandwidth to maintain good signal integrity. Also, the main reason everything runs to the AV Receiver first is for switching convenience especially if you have a lot of sources. Also, a lot AV Receivers today can only access their menus from the Monitor outputs to the TV so either way you still have to connect the AV Receiver’s video out to do anything.

imax wrote:
Also I cant be sure, but the TOSLink seems to give some staccato (static?) to the sound, so do people usually rely on the players DAC, or receiver.

Assuming there is no static on the analog output, you either have a bad cable or bad optical out (does the red led seem dim?). In any case, you should connect both types for flexibility. The left/right analog outs are a must since you can only access the analog tracks that way (as well as digital track with the built in DAC). So if you have an LD that is only analog (or want to listen to a commentary track that would also be on analog), that is the only way to go. For the optical output, you really don’t need to use it but in the case of which DAC is better (player or AV Receiver), you’ll have to A/B test it for yourself to decide. Also, if you happen to own any DTS LD titles, you definitely need the optical output connected.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]