It is currently 12 Apr 2024, 21:32




 Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: A tale of two Pioneer remote control repairs
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2022, 08:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 05:59
Posts: 1452
Location: San Francisco, CA USA
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 533 times
CU-CLD051 (CLD-M90)

So when I purchased my CLD-M90 some twenty odd years ago for about $20 (yes... twenty years ago was an excellent time to pick up LD players for dirt cheap w/ everyone trying to get rid of them for DVD :thumbup:), the seller gave me two remotes with it. The original remote (CU-CLD051) was busted so he had gotten a replacement (CU-CLD063) that was actually a more feature laden model that should have been included w/ the player to be begin with. Here's a pic showing both of them (051 on the left and 063 on the right).

Image



Anyway, I had been planning on getting the CU-CLD051 fixed @ some point just for the sake of just having an original working remote for my M90 (even though I plan to keep using the CU-CLD063). So I opened it up and found two issues.

The first problem was pretty obvious which was a broken trace off of a transistor and J1 which I quickly fixed by jumping some scrap wire to get them connected again.

Image


The second problem was more of a guess and the only reason I suspected it was due to the following...

Image

This capacitor appears to be suffering from some corrosion issues based on the fact that everything about it had this greenish tinge to it along w/ oxidation on the metal terminals. Thus, I decided to just take a chance and simply replace it...

Image

And that was it. The remote works perfectly again and I guess I'll just store it away for some future use. Moving on.....



CU-CLD090 (CLD-97)

So The problem I had with this remote is that one day I was using it and noticed that some of the buttons were no longer sending commands to my player. I opened it up and I couldn't believe what I found. Here are two pics highlighting the unfortunate problem...

Image

Image

This is essentially the same issue w/ the bad cap on the 051 remote but it was unfortunately worse as you can see the copper traces actually deteriorating (call it the "laser rot" of electronics) in various parts of the board. I'm not sure what caused this to occur but my guess would be a combination of a poorly sealed board along w/ maybe exposure to the outside environment.

In any case, I thought I could fix this issue by simply identifying all the bad traces and soldering jumpers to the affected areas but as I kept finding more bad traces (yup... there was more than what I noted in the pics) I was finding myself playing "whack-a-moe" as I repaired one part something else would stop working. In the end, this what all the jumpers looked like before I gave up....

Image


So my dilemma was that a repair was a dead end now and it was about replacing the remote control. However, trying to find a remote for a CLD-97 was not going to be easy since they don't come up very often on eBay and when they do they are pricey. Thus, the next best option is find another remote close enough to the 090 and that model is the CU-CLD068 (CLD-D701/CLD-D702). Here is a side to side pic showing the two (one extra button on the 068)....

Image

And as I assumed, the boards are identical.....

Image


I ended up getting the 068 remote for about $25 which is reasonable and did a quick swap of the boards. All good again and I'll save the broken remote for spare parts.


Last edited by ldfan on 12 Jul 2022, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A tale of two Pioneer remote control repairs
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2022, 14:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2018, 03:18
Posts: 1517
Has thanked: 447 times
Been thanked: 587 times
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

What I have found is remotes with corroded battery terminals must be disassembled to properly stop it. Pieces of corrosive material can flake off and attach to the board inside. I use vinegar to neutralize battery corrosion (very satisfying fizzing), and electrolysis for rust (unless just a small amount where I can scrape it off).

Were the CU-CLD090 terminals clean and shiny?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A tale of two Pioneer remote control repairs
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2022, 17:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 05:59
Posts: 1452
Location: San Francisco, CA USA
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 533 times
The terminals in the battery compartment were shiny and clean so that's why I assume it might be environmental.

I remember seeing this same deterioration in a Denon turntable power supply board and I assume it was environmental since the home it was located in was in close proximity to the ocean.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A tale of two Pioneer remote control repairs
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2022, 16:04 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2009, 13:00
Posts: 348
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 6 times
Excellent description, thx for posting this. All those problems occuring with old hardware, it´s so sad..
_________________
HLD-X9, CLD97 w/AC-3 MOD,LD-S1, CLD-925, CC DECODER, DVDO VP50, DENON AVC-A1SE, PHILIPS 52PFL7432D
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: