It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:37

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Using Laserdisc players after long period of inactivity
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2022, 17:20 
True fan
True fan

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I posted, I hope all is well. I went through a period of not having a permanent home and didn't have a regular spot to set up my players. I now have a house of my own and was feeling a little nostalgic to watch laserdiscs again. I have an LD-S1 and LD-S2 and wondering what basic things I should check before firing them up. It's been about two years since I last used them. I figured I should give them a once over before running a disc in them. For some reason I thought these players didn't use belts though, so I wasn't quite sure what to be checking. Thanks in advance everyone. :)

Post subject: Re: Using Laserdisc players after long period of inactivity  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2022, 02:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

These players most likely have belts that might have hardened a bit or got loose.
Some of the grease (usually on rails and key clogs) might have dried up.

When taking a LD player out of the box after a long period of storage (or with any electronics), I usually:

• Let it get back to room temperature (not too hot or too cold from an outside storage, eventually blow the dust inside if any);
  • Put it on stand-by power for a while, to reload some of the power capacitors;
  • Turn in on and leave it idle for some time (also for capacitors and to warm up inside, get rid of extra moisture that might have built up over time);
  • Play with the open/close drawer(s) a few time without a disc to check they operate normally. First attempt might be a little rough when the belts kick in action again after resting in the same position for so long;
  • Load a disc/eject a few times, to see of the pickup mechanism hangs to it normally;
  • Play the disc and, if dual-sided, use the A/B function a few times to engage all the gears involved in the optical block U-turn;
  • Let it play a disc entirely to check the focus goes all the way to the end of the side;
  • Try both CAV and CLV discs;
  • Try both analog and digital audio (AC3RF if any).

Then I declare the player in good shape :-)

Julien

Post subject: Re: Using Laserdisc players after long period of inactivity
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2022, 00:42 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Julien posted some great info.
But the LDS1 unfortunately doesn't have that standby power, but I would after turning on leave on for a few minutes, should be fine.

Just depends on where they were stored, if in a storage unit I would do the above wait for the warm up to room temp before you plug in and power up.

If by chance anything bad happens let us know. My players were in cold storage laying flat for I think 2 or 3 months? and they were fine, and that was 5 years ago.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2022, 03:11 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Additionally, for Pioneer players, you can check what any error code you get means: [IMPORTANT] List of Pioneer Error Codes

For a player out of storage, you might typically get:

• U1 => the belt on the loading mechanism is weak/stuck/loose, keep trying to open/close a few times to get it back to normal.
  • U5 => the disc is slipping (dusty or old gripping surface) and does not speed up fast enough, also keep trying a few times to get it back to normal.

Julien

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2022, 01:50 
True fan
True fan

Thank you Julien and rein-o. I feel like I forgot everything I knew about laserdisc players. I'll be curious to try them out, I imagine the rails will need to be greased. Secretly I'm hoping no belts will be needed, but not the end of the world if a little maintenance is needed. I appreciate your help :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]