It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:27

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: LD players that has issues or required more servicing
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2011, 02:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

With alot of LD players out there, and people looking for players, were there any specific models that had certain issues. I'm sure members have ran across some issues other members have encountered too.

I know I read that the 5 CD changer LD players ( cld-m90 etc) because of their more techincal mechanics inside required more servicing. Depending on your knowledge some repairs you can do yourself and some things not.

Post subject: Re: LD players that has issues or required more servicing
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2011, 03:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just off the top, and this mosty often happens in shipping or harsh handling, the CLD-D5xx series, and others with the same flip/turn design, of Pioneer players can have a plastic piece on the laser mechanism where a guide pin can break off and then the player won't move on to side B. Most annoying, but not a difficult fix, and the part isn't expensive from Pioneer. I've never been a big fan of the Pioneer side change designs, though all else is top-notch.

Another annoyance is the Sony flop-down tray hatch on many of their models. It's great when it works, but a pain when it's stuck. For Sony to make a simple and reliable side change system, then make the most complicated load hatch ever is almost unforgivable. However, they redeemed themselves somewhat with the fine MDP-V series which brought them into the AC3 realm, complete with an A/V pass-through.

Personally, I find my Panasonic models to be the most reliable, and they also have a flip/turn design that is also quite simple and reliable, but I actually don't think that's an inherent trait, but more my taking care of them properly. I find that if you regularly service your player, keep it free of dust inside, keep it from being blocked for a good air flow, and preferably somewhere it can stay cool, and do not mishandle it, you can expect better than average performance no matter what player it is. By mishandle, I mean, don't force a series of actions too quickly because you're impatient and don't place it on top or near something warm, and never let it drop even a few inches.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2011, 05:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I would stay away from Sony players as just about develop mechanical loading issues and the Pioneer and Panasonic have a better picture. The Sony 850 was supposed to be OK but no parts support so I would just avoid Sony.

The only real issue with Panasonic is no parts but you better make sure it is in good working condition. Just be ware if you need AC-3 RF then you will have to have that added aftermarket

The Pioneer's, I would avoid the mutil-CD players and the LD-W1 only because of the mechanical issues. If you want a LD-W1 so you can put two LDs in a player I'd get a second for parts.

Yamaha used to make some of their own original players like the 870 but then went to sourcing out players.

I recommend buying a player from myself, Bayview Electronics or others that refurb the players and guarantee their performance. You will pay for the time we put into them but we guarantee they will be working as they should. Otherwise; you may get lucky or you may not. Test it first if you can.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2011, 14:31 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

If the Sony MDP 850D was the one of the better Sony players, I'd avoid them altogether. That was my first laserdisc player - it had serious side change issues and very average picture quality even when it did work. I'd agree to stick with Pioneer all the way.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2011, 17:25 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I agree that the Pioneer and Panny's are better overall than most of the Sony's, however, I have two of the Sony MDP-V series of players, the last ones produced by Sony and most were only for the Japan and Hong Kong markets, and those are much better than the prior Sony's sold in the US. Plus these models for the asian markets have a nice vintage 80's appearance and silver finish.

I also found the Sony LDP-1700AR to be a decent player for copying LDs to tape, or I should say, was a decent player for that purpose since that's not much in vogue anymore. They were simple straight composite output, industrial build, had D/A conversion, very quick and simple side change. The best part was that they had a choice of no on-screen display of LD actions and a black screen option in lieu of blue. So when copying to tape, you had a good clean transfer, some with matrixed surround if the LD had that, without annoying display blurbs, and only a very short black 'pause' during side change. Of course, a three or four sided LD would be different.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]